Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So, Bolvar's now Highlord of the Ebon Blade

Link: https://wow.gamepedia.com/Bolvar_Fordragon

According to his Wowpedia profile, his titles as Jailor of the Damned and Lich King are now listed as "Former". It was obvious since Legion he was probably gonna take over leading the Ebon Blade in the future. That was the setup. Now freed from his role as Lich King, he'll obviously play an active role in the Shadowlands expansion. The question is what comes afterward.

Almost everyone clearly knows he was alive-ish all this time and now Taelia has met her father in Oribos. That'll be a long, LONG conversation when they get back to Azeroth LOL. Bolvar's power level is probably somewhere between Darion and Arthas now. He can raise new DKs and presumably rez fallen DKs too. Both were things Darion and technically Player DKs were capable of.

One obvious difference between him and Arthas is he raised DKs with their free will intact. Yeah he raised them for a specific purpose--to help defend Azeroth from threats--but they retained their free will and self-awareness. I'm pretty sure he also raises folks who would either woudn't mind being Undead if it means they can make a difference or folks who know about the Knights of the Ebon Blade. Or both. He gives them the power of current-gen DKs and tell them "Welcome to the Ebon Blade! Go introduce yourself to the Alliance/Horde! By the way we've been around for a while but some people still don't know the difference between us mindless Undead. OK THANX BAI GL!"

I don't know if it's explained at some point but Bolvar's DK-making ability is at least on par with Arthas'. DKs are basically Plate-wearing Necromancers after all. Lorewise, the Player DK can raise new DKs and raises the Four Horsemen as the Deathlord. Since Bolvar is now all-in with the Ebon Blade, it does raise a few questions. My biggest one concerning the Ebon Blade is where's the Four Horsemen from Legion at? Because they should at least appear during Shadowlands either in the Shadowlands or on Azeroth helping to defend against the Undead Invasion.

My next question after that is will the Ebon Blade have influence in the Alliance and the Horde? Sure they're a neutral faction collectively but outside faction work, everyone's Alliance or Horde. I imagine a scenario where after the Undead Invasion is dealt with, the Alliance and the Horde request the Ebon Blade have knights stationed in their lands to assist with future threats involving the Shadowlands or Undead. For the Forsaken, this frees them up to focus on Horde-related matters.

A third question is will Bolvar give DKs the power and freedom to offer Knighthood or Undeath to people at their discretion. I could see this being used in one of three scenarios:

1. Punisment and Penance: Basically, "Death is too good for you. You will atone for your sins in Undeath!"
    2. Heroic Charge: Basically, "Rise and Fight once more, Hero. Azeroth still has need of your valor!"
    3. Voluntary Transformation: Basically, living volunteers would become DKs when they die or are killed. "Welcome back to the Mortal World...Brother/Sister."

I think it will be real interesting to see the Knights of the Ebon Blade taking on a more prominent role during and after Shadowlands even if it's a small one. More so knowing Bolvar will be leading them moving forward. I could see the Ebon Blade wanting to keep tabs on people outside their ranks who practice Necromancy. It sounds like they wouldn't want too many people outside their ranks to able to raise an undead army so...yeah. Their new purpose post Shadowlands could be maintaining the balance of Life and Death doesn't favor Death too heavily again. Should be interesting.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

Biiiiitch I still have the title, so I'm still the leader as an indirect puppet.

I would actually be super disappointed if Bolvar is just a generic goody this expansion. I want this to expand on the character dynamic between him and the Ebon Blade from Legion, not distance itself from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Nice work OP, you've clearly put more thought into it than the writers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Other than within the confines of class campaigns, the Ebon Blade has had no impact on Azeroth since WotLK. I don't imagine we'll see much of them after Shadowlands, let alone in such detail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    Other than within the confines of class campaigns, the Ebon Blade has had no impact on Azeroth since WotLK. I don't imagine we'll see much of them after Shadowlands, let alone in such detail.
    You know that the Red Dragonflight is still pissed at the PC DK for ressing one of their own, as well as the assault on Light's Hope wasn't exactly a minor event, either

Awesome Sig/Avatar by the lovely Rivellana

Death Knights are joining the Azerothian Power Rangers, so they need to sweep all their misdeeds and bad guy image under the rug so they can be the valorous heroes we all knew they were all along. First they brought the Horde under the banner of the Alliance, now Bolvar will bring his knights under it as well. How utterly....boring beyond belief.

I'm willing to bet my life savings and left testicle as a bonus that the hack writers at Blizzard will pull out another "there must always be a Jailer" card and Bolvar will be up for the task

Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post
    You know that the Red Dragonflight is still pissed at the PC DK for ressing one of their own, as well as the assault on Light's Hope wasn't exactly a minor event, either
    Yet the dragon thing is only mentioned in one quest, and the assault on Lights Hope is barely mentioned in the Corrupted Ashbringer quest.

No impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    I'm willing to bet my life savings and left testicle as a bonus that the hack writers at Blizzard will pull out another "there must always be a Jailer" card and Bolvar will be up for the task
    He already was the jailer of the damned, perfect guy for this job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    All it takes is an incel at the wrong place wrong time and we won't even know what hit us.

10+ Year Old Account
    He should just be kicked off acherus the first possible moment. He fucking blackmails us entire legion and now he wants to join forces once he gets his ass whopped.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Honestly we do not know if Bolvar is the new leader over the Ebon Blade or not based on what I could find from dialogues in Shadowlands so far.

The Highlord title is the same title he used in life before he got roasted at Wrathgate.

From the statue of Varian Wrynn at Borean Tundra.

''

In tribute to King Varian Wrynn
    known to some as LO'GOSH the "Ghost Wolf"

His miraculous return from long years of exile and hardship has ignited a new fire of spirit and courage within the Alliance.

We shall march boldly into these perilous lands holding his valor and his tenacity in our hearts.

- Highlord Bolvar Fordragon''

To me it feels like Bolvar is a semi leader figure but lore wise I presume the Deathlord is indeed the main leader still.

Edit: I wouldn't mind if they slowly build up Bolvar over the patches to become the actual leader over the Ebon Blade.

After that cinematic showing simpvanas being bored while wiping the floor with bolvar i really do not want to see nor hear anything from him.

Canonically Darion was the Deathlord of the EB. So it makes sense i guess for him to step down so Bolvar takes command.

Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post
    Two class hall campaign quests that have already been, and will remain swept under the rug.

I doubt he's going to be much after a quest chain or two. He's giving me heavy Tyrael from D3 vibes, and they aren't the good kind.
    "May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce"

"May the Goddess smile upon you."

"Hero", is what they've all been saying. This world, it isn't worth the saving."

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    After that cinematic showing simpvanas being bored while wiping the floor with bolvar i really do not want to see nor hear anything from him.
    Don't blame the character for bad writing. He's still a good character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sargerus View Post
    Canonically Darion was the Deathlord of the EB. So it makes sense i guess for him to step down so Bolvar takes command.
    Darion was killed during the Legion campaign (The raid on lights hope chapel) and became one of the horsemen instead. We then assumed the title of Deathlord after that event.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Darion was killed during the Legion campaign (The raid on lights hope chapel) and became one of the horsemen instead. We then assumed the title of Deathlord after that event.
    But if you arent a DK you can see him as the class leader wielding Apocalypse when trying to stabilize the wound on Silithus.

As @Powerogue says Bolvar in Legion was great. From what we've seen thus far they've backtracked a lot on making him a more mundanely good dude, which is wasteful but unsurprising. That said I think he'll have a major role. I reckon if we get a cinematic series for this one, Bolvar will be the focus.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    One question what comes to me now...

If we defeat Jailer at the end of expac, does it means Bolvar will be new Jailer in The Maw? Or scourge is done for good?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabled View Post
    I doubt he's going to be much after a quest chain or two. He's giving me heavy Tyrael from D3 vibes, and they aren't the good kind.
    Meh, at least Tyrael was a badass in D3... Let's hope that Iceboi can achieve something cool in SL, him getting roflstomped by Suevanas was lame enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.