Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Horde I miss socket bonuses!

So sue me, I also miss raid tier sets too!

I really liked gear having set sockets and the colour matching set and prismatic sockets and all of that kinda stuff, I felt like JC got badly screwed when the variety of gems sorta flattened out into stack your number 1 simmed secondary.

Imagine forcing yourself to pick between blowing away reasonable socket bonuses or just hard smashing more red crit gems into every slot.

I guess this view is old fashioned buT I really miss those things in wow, even spirit and intellect tied to mama pool.....

Ah, if only classic was TBC.....

I don't really miss socket bonuses, while it was good in theory I felt it made socketing needlessly complicated when you had to consider all the various stats they gave.
    If they returned it, which I kinda hope they do I would much rather they lock the sockets and make the different colors give either Throughput, utility or defensive bonuses, that way the important gems are still the throughout ones, but you can also use the movement speed buff ones or similar without feeling like you are missing out.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atredies View Post
    Ah, if only classic was TBC.....

Hopefully we do not have to wait too long for that.

I think one of the biggest mistakes of blizzard was the removal of sockets, socket bonuses and later the removal of reforging. Yes, all of it was only used to get the optimal stats on your items, but i don't think this was bad at all. Especially now in Shadowlands, when the stats are already so boring (and we need maybe 1 more in general and 1 for pvp), i think that reforging should be implemented into the game again.

You could implement reforging easily by allowin to change gear secondary stats with gems for example so that you have a way to use gems to change the stats to the ones you like. Maybe add a tool into various professions, consumeable that allows everyone to change the stat of an item: tailor get cloth and cloaks, leatherworking leather and mail, Blacksmith Plate and Weapons/Shields, Jewelcrafter get necklaces and rings (together with the stat-gems they sell) and Inscription gets trinkets and offhand-items)

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    I think one of the biggest mistakes of blizzard was the removal of sockets, socket bonuses and later the removal of reforging. Yes, all of it was only used to get the optimal stats on your items, but i don't think this was bad at all. Especially now in Shadowlands, when the stats are already so boring (and we need maybe 1 more in general and 1 for pvp), i think that reforging should be implemented into the game again.

You could implement reforging easily by allowin to change gear secondary stats with gems for example so that you have a way to use gems to change the stats to the ones you like. Maybe add a tool into various professions, consumeable that allows everyone to change the stat of an item: tailor get cloth and cloaks, leatherworking leather and mail, Blacksmith Plate and Weapons/Shields, Jewelcrafter get necklaces and rings (together with the stat-gems they sell) and Inscription gets trinkets and offhand-items)
    Going by the direction Blizzard is taking WoW in Shadowlands I imagine a return of things like reforging could happen. We already have sockets being returned as a slightly more permanent feature instead of solely RNG, and with professions becoming more relevant I imagine we are not that far off a return to more of the RPG elements we lost during the streamlining of the game.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

A lot of people in this thread either

A) didn't play with
    B) played incorrectly with
    Or
    C) don't remember

How socket bonuses worked. In the VAST majority of cases it was correct to just ignore that socket bonuses existed and gem your best stat. Especially if you had any blue slots. If you had like red-red-yellow then it might be worth hemming for the bonus but normally it wasn't. Just slam in 3 of the highest dps gems and ignore the bonus existed.

Meta gems were worth getting the requirements for but that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantaburs View Post

A) didn't play with
    Or
    C) don't remember

How socket bonuses worked. In the VAST majority of cases it was correct to just ignore that socket bonuses existed and gem your best stat. Especially if you had any blue slots. If you had like red-red-yellow then it might be worth hemming for the bonus but normally it wasn't. Just slam in 3 of the highest dps gems and ignore the bonus existed.

Yup, thats basically it. Reforging? Let addon handle that gear tax. Which socket to use? Again addon or guide.

For sockets to not be a gear tax we would have to not have braindead gear. Unfortunately wow doesn't have builds anymore so that is not going to happen.
    Reforging only made sense with hit/exp cap. Set bonuses are cancer.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Yup, thats basically it. Reforging? Let addon handle that gear tax. Which socket to use? Again addon or guide.

For sockets to not be a gear tax we would have to not have braindead gear. Unfortunately wow doesn't have builds anymore so that is not going to happen.
    Reforging only made sense with hit/exp cap. Set bonuses are cancer.
    Yarr, if i remember correctly you just went to askmrrobot and entered your character, it it did some math for expertise/hit, then you got a link entered ingame in an addon, then hit reforge.

I also looked on my paladin since i still have some gear from bc/wrath with gems in them. literally every single bonus was ignored since i wanted specific gems in every piece.
    Only time you wanted another gem that wasnt strongest was to activate meta gem in headslot.
    Last edited by Sunnydee; 2020-09-13 at 02:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    People on this site hate everything. Keep that in mind.

Yeah, I miss stacking all blue stamina gems on all sockets regardless of socket color with my tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you just do a transmog run and saw the socket bonus on old gear and started making a thread to appear like you played back then? You basically just ignored them.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by ReVnX View Post
    Yeah, I miss stacking all blue stamina gems on all sockets regardless of socket color with my tank.
    Haha.

But yeah .. socket bonuses were pretty much meh and often times ignoring them and putting in raw stats was better than matching the colors

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post
    Yarr, if i remember correctly you just went to askmrrobot and entered your character, it it did some math for expertise/hit, then you got a link entered ingame in an addon, then hit reforge.

I also looked on my paladin since i still have some gear from bc/wrath with gems in them. literally every single bonus was ignored since i wanted specific gems in every piece.
    Only time you wanted another gem that wasnt strongest was to activate meta gem in headslot.
    You didnt even need to do that as there was addon that automaticaly reforged your gear with one button. At first you used askmrrobot to handle reforging, a bit later someone did addon that did reforging with one button in game without external sites.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post

While this was definitely the case for PvE, there was some flexibility for PvP, with some people favouring stuff like resilience gems over stats if I remember right. Socket bonuses were still pretty much irrelevant for PvP folk, though.

Socket bonuses as a design are either strong enough to dictate you using sub-optimal gems (thus taking away your choice) or aren't strong enough and you ignore them to slot in your best stat (which is what historically happened).

I'm not sure either of those make them a positive addition to the game.

Tier sets basically still exist via secondary systems. In BFA for instance pick 2 azerite traits and remove the rest, force yourself to have to wear 4 specific pieces to get those 2 azerite traits you picked and BAM, you have tier bonuses back.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by KOUNTERPARTS View Post
    Hopefully we do not have to wait too long for that.
    No worries here. After checking quarter numbers, of first quarter after SL release (mid march 2021) their priority nr 1 will focus a TBC Classic release, i assume.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    No worries here. After checking quarter numbers, of first quarter after SL release (mid march 2021) their priority nr 1 will focus a TBC Classic release, i assume.

I am praying for it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't necessarily miss 'bonuses', but I do miss having various colored gems and multiple slots.

I could care less about sockets, but yeah, no tier does get a tad boring.

I miss regular gemslots aswell.

Yes, you could ignore colors and just socket your best stat. But you had the choice to do so.

The only downside with the old versions was that there were way to many stats. Beside int agi str stam, there were crit haste hit amorpen mp5 resilience and probably more i dont remember.
    Then they had those mixed together to create even more gems.

I remember being a jewelcrafter meant doing those daylies every day and still miasing some recipes.

That was too much, but with lots of those stats gone anyway i feel like it could come back

Quote Originally Posted by Tantaburs View Post

A) didn't play with
    Or
    C) don't remember

Pretty much this. People basically ignored blue/green/purple gems entirely other than one or two for a meta gem requirement for the entirety of their existence because you used your gem slots for main DPS stats or fixing your hit/expertise numbers here and there to make sure you hit the required caps pre-reforging.

Like sure, you may coincidentally want a purple expertise/stamina gem to fill a meta requirement and get the tiny bit of expertise you were short or something, but you didn't socket around that specifically. If you had a bonus you could activate without going through any extra trouble you did, but you generally just ignored them because the bonuses were small enough that just stacking the stats you wanted in sockets was more valuable anyways.