Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's fun on paper but needs a little love in practice. However, the Legion/BFA Shadow rework, I think, takes the crown for worst. If not, it's hotly contending with WoD Arms for the top spot. What an absolute abortion of a spec reimagining that turned out to be.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Saberstrike View Post
    It's fun to play. Blizz just don't seem to want it to do actual damage. It's legitimately been a tuning issue for like 4 years, all they have to do is make Survival abilities do real damage and it'll join Outlaw, DH and Arms at the 'peak M+ DPS' table.

This. There's nothing much to add to this. If there would be any relation between skill cap and a skill based scaling dps reward it should be at the top 3 dps speccs overall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxilian View Post

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, i wonder, why are people so angry about the new Survival hunter? I mean... in general, Survival have always been the least popular option, it may have had a path or 2 where it shinned, but... it wasn't really popular either.

- - - Updated - - -

MOP & WOD would like to have a word with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ulululu View Post
    This. There's nothing much to add to this. If there would be any relation between skill cap and a skill based scaling dps reward it should be at the top 3 dps speccs overall.
    Survival is not hard to play. Hunters are just used to the gameplay of BM so they think anything more complicated than that requires skills.

I loved Legion's version of Survival. BfA's wasn't too bad. I think the Survival revamp was good and is still the right choice. Unfortunately, Blizzard doesn't get the tuning right.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

Quote Originally Posted by Nyel View Post
    I loved Legion's version of Survival. BfA's wasn't too bad. I think the Survival revamp was good and is still the right choice. Unfortunately, Blizzard doesn't get the tuning right.
    The biggest problem they made was still jsut that it was BM that should have been the Melee spec, not Survival.
    The world revamp dream will never die!

I really like it, imo it plays a lot better than the other two hunter specs. Would like MM to go back to cata-wod playstyle. Surv to be as it is. BM whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sondrelk View Post
    The biggest problem they made was still jsut that it was BM that should have been the Melee spec, not Survival.
    This is something I've read quite often and I agree, Survival is relying as much as BM on the pet and therefore it would have made more sense to turn BM into the "new" Survival.
    MAGA - Make Alliance Great Again

10+ Year Old Account
    Enhance is worst. DW should have never happened. Every expansion just getting worse and worse. SL is first time it started looking better but that damn spec is still useless in pvp.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    nah at least the SvH has a decent rotation and feels pretty natural to play. Voidform SPriest is the all-time worst and I'd argue that Demo Lock is up there right next to it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonfiend76 View Post
    MOP & WOD would like to have a word with you.
    Well... i guess you have a point, i didn't play much as hunter in those exp (weird), but if i remember correctly, Survival was the go to for PVE and Beast Master the go to for PVP (at least in MOP, as i did play enough Hunter to know unlike WOD, that i spend most of my time doing old dungeons and hunting mounts to notice what was the most "relevant" spec in that exp)

Just four words:

Demonology warlock since Legion

Survival is spec with which i had most fun in last two expansion.
    My biggest concern is loosing Primeval Intuition which should have been baked in as baseline for SL.
    Im also not sure why Blizzard decided to leave out Fury of The Eagle when they did BFA rework, it was quite nice spell to see and press on top of Mongoose Fury window.

But we have more pressing matters, as mentioned above it looks like Blizzard want Survival to be RP spec rather than doing actual damage, and this is a issue that we drag along since Legion.

Sadly, other melees simply perform better with far less button presses, and Survival is noncomparable with classes like reworked Outlaw which can keep Blade Flurry 100% up, Frost DKs or DHs which are, in their own way, killing machines, AoE or focused ST.

Since its too late for any kind of core gameplay changes i really hope that Survival will get some well deserved buffs to their numbers and maaaaybeeee some changes to their legendaries.
    Last edited by Gurg; 2020-10-17 at 01:13 AM.

I agree. Survival is fun for sure but I use it for an RP spec.

Short answer: Absolutely.

Its the best that can be done to dead spec. Yes, its not popular in raids, but because its melee. Glad that it have pvp accent in it

It is fun spec but like feral and enhance the other specs the classs offer is better in every way

No. It's great. The only thing that's wrong with it is that you can't dual wield.

It could be fine with some work, the problem is it's one of the abandoned specs, along with feral, demonology, and windwalker.

And people still want new classes, lol. They need to remove some specs if they ever want to add another class.

About 2% of hunters play survival in dungeons, less than 1% plays it in raids. Making SV melee killed the spec. Even when SV was top DPS spec for hunters during Legion, total number of SV players was about 3 %, so not much different. Main problems with survival imo:
    1. Melee - we have enough of these without SV. And all of them are much better designed and responsive. Hunter build up and spender mechanics are borderline non functional for a spec that should react to combat changes almost instantly. Ranged classes can afford a lengthy build up. Melee do not have the luxury.
    2. Pet - not only SV is limited in range, but it is also limited by buggy pet AI. What is making it much worse is that when pet AI fails for a DK, a frost mage or a warlock, they either lose a miniscule portion of their damage (DK, melee pets for affliction and destro), or have tools to mitigate this loss (ranged or no pet option). All of them can execute full rotation without a pet. SV hunter can not do that.
    3. General theme - I really doubt that people level hunters to play a melee spec. Especially the one that incorporates all of the disadvantages of a build up ranged class with melee limitations on top of it and an AI dependence to boot.

Possible solutions to that:
    1. Make it fully ranged again. Not going to happen - Blizz would never admit to a mistake of such scale.
    2. Make spec mechanics much faster and lessen build up and spender intervals. Make rotation cleaner and more predictable for better flexibility. Simplify it, or at least make an option in the talent tree to exchange some abilities for passives, like it is with BM or an affliction warlock.
    3. Remove dependence on pet AI. A melee spec should not be additionally limited by a requirement to telegraph rotation through a buggy AI. Either make a Lone Wolf option or make them independent of SV rotation completely (e.g. MM pet, a.k.a mobile dot spell).
    4. Give SV some real utility and flexibility. An example of this might be a selection of non damaging poisons to debuff targets (+5% physical, +5% magical, -% healing). That way SV could fill needed debuff slots and be much more sought after. Make camouflage similar to mage's invisibility, or even make it party wide like rogue's mass stealth, so that SV can substitute a rogue in a group. Many things could be done here.
    Last edited by Gaaz; 2020-11-01 at 01:01 AM.