Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Why are non human races getting humanized?

An Orc's culture was always about strength and "honor" on the battlefield. So it would make sense in Orcish culture that they'd often clash and that the most dominant brute Orc would often take lead.

Yet it's somehow an issue with players. You can play a noble human for all I care, but why are there so many people insisting that other races need to live up to Human standards in terms of culture and morals?

human potential or something like that.
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

3+ Year Old Account
    I find trolls are too. Maybe it's because the writers are trying to get u to relate to them more, since such races aere often 'punching bags'?
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    While I agree with the overall sentiment that I think you're shooting for.

The more obvious answer is: Probably because Orcish (along with every more "original" race in WoW) culture is already based off different kinds of human culture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    An Orc's culture was always about strength and "honor" on the battlefield. So it would make sense in Orcish culture that they'd often clash and that the most dominant brute Orc would often take lead.

Yet it's somehow an issue with players. You can play a noble human for all I care, but why are there so many people insisting that other races need to live up to Human standards in terms of culture and morals?
    Because most of the Orcs Thrall lead are from Durnholde, that were prisoners of Humans long enough. Because thrall itself was raised by humans. And because after they got rid of their addiction of Mannoroths Blood, their got rid of most of their violent nature under the stuff.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    While I agree with the overall sentiment that I think you're shooting for.

The more obvious answer is: Probably because Orcish (along with every more "original" race in WoW) culture is already based off different kinds of human culture.
    Maybe, but at least those "different kinds" were different enough from each other as to make the races feel... well, different. These days, you are playing a boring Lawful Good character (the way Blizzard understands it, of course) full of MUH HONOURZ and in a quest to save the High King of the Alliance and his retinue, no matter your looks, place of birth or ascendancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Blizzard learned a long time ago that players didn't want to be the 'bad guys', so they took all the things that made the Horde cool and edgy and neutered it down so that there were no bad guys anymore.

Aren’t most of the horde races aside from goblins and blood elves on the endangered species list? Theres not nearly enough of one to rival the population of say the humans or the dwarves so wouldn’t it be smarter to play nice and not kill each other or sacrifice each other?

You seriously haven't realized? That's the entire point of WoW. Every expansion ends in "Oh wow looks like despite our petty differences we have a common enemy and need to unite, because we're stronger that way" like some idiotic Disney movie on repeat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Itori View Post
    Aren’t most of the horde races aside from goblins and blood elves on the endangered species list? Theres not nearly enough of one to rival the population of say the humans or the dwarves so wouldn’t it be smarter to play nice and not kill each other or sacrifice each other?
    Realistically Blood Elves would be endangered too. 90% of their population decimated in the Scourge, and they've repeatedly been the tip of the spear for the Horde in numerous campaigns since.

Orcs have plenty of things to be strong and honorable about, like fighting threats to the universe that keep invading instead of siding with them every couple of years.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Soon-TM View Post
    Maybe, but at least those "different kinds" were different enough from each other as to make the races feel... well, different. These days, you are playing a boring Lawful Good character (the way Blizzard understands it, of course) full of MUH HONOURZ and in a quest to save the High King of the Alliance and his retinue, no matter your looks, place of birth or ascendancy.
    Hey I hear you. I was a loyalist and was having quite a bit of fun playing the bad guy, it was interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

That's just your backwards view.

It's not strength and "honor", it's strength and honor. Not just physical strength, which means restraint is also part of the culture. Every damn Orc clan respected Ner'zhul not because he was STRONG ORK but because he was wise as fuck. Someone could've easily overpowered him but they didn't, and the Elder Shaman was revered through decades until Gul'dan fucked it all up.

There's honor in not antagonizing everyone that's weaker than you. There's strength in unity.

How often have we actually seen leadership settled through contests of might in the Horde, much less among orcs specifically? Doomhammer and Garrosh are the only two to obtain/retain the position of Warchief after being challenged in mak'gora. Every other Warchief was elected, or else had the mantle directly passed to them. Even the position of chieftain for orc clans often seems to be hereditary (Garrosh, Jorin).

Ultimately, the Horde isn't an orc faction anymore, and deciding leadership based on brute force clashes with the culture of just about every other member.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Much like real life for many, the horde has been emasculated by the internet.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelled of elderberries.

Same reason northamerican culture, or lack thereof, is being spread as acceptable. Examples of power inspire the masses

Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    That's just your backwards view.

It's not strength and "honor", it's strength and honor. Not just physical strength, which means restraint is also part of the culture. Every damn Orc clan respected Ner'zhul not because he was STRONG ORK but because he was wise as fuck. Someone could've easily overpowered him but they didn't, and the Elder Shaman was revered through decades until Gul'dan fucked it all up.

There's honor in not antagonizing everyone that's weaker than you. There's strength in unity.
    For as much shit as WoD was given, this narrative was firmly buried with it. It was one of the positives about Warlords, which really isn't saying much.

Quote Originally Posted by The Council View Post
    human potential or something like that.
    I'm out of the loop here, where did this phrase come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Amnaught View Post
    I'm out of the loop here, where did this phrase come from?
    a bfa beta warcampaign quest. the nelf character was surprised by the strenght of the human (i think the rambo in redridge) or something like that
    12/6/2009 -23/11/2020 rip little deathstalker Ferretti. proud forsaken, enemy of the livings

Quote Originally Posted by choom View Post
    Blizzard learned a long time ago that players didn't want to be the 'bad guys', so they took all the things that made the Horde cool and edgy and neutered it down so that there were no bad guys anymore.
    I like being the bad guy though . I'm still sad that Sylvannas isn't the warchief.

"Strength and honor" are human culture and morals. Just not the ones we have right now.