Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Love how much hate this dudes give to blizzard and shadowlands...

... but there they'll be at launch, playing the game they hate.
    I'm sure he'll go "nu-uh, I buy time with gold." Totally ignoring he's fully supporting a premium subscription program

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    There were worse. At least Prydaz helped you not die to burning hot mistakes.
    Was my first and it was a tremendous upgrade and helped me easily solo those larger WQ elites.

I'm not surprised. Blizzard hasn't been straight forward with the players for a very long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tronski View Post
    Thunderfury felt legendary because you first had to be incredible lucky twice, then you had to finish a horrible grind. Shadowmourne fell into the same caregory, it was just such a shame it looked like lame shit.
    Fangs of the father were also a good implementation of legendaries.

Since then there hasn't been a legendary that felt legendary. Just pieces of gear you had to farm lest you fall behind.
    With modern day split raiding, I’m curious what a Cata or Wrath style legendary would look like.

I would imagine guilds would just split raid and stack them in as many dps slots as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    thats... kind of like gear works too...
    ...gear gets stronger, yes, but it doesn't start as inherently weak. That's the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    I would be straight. 90% of Legendaries in Shadowlands are trash. They dont feel Legendary at all.

Blizzard tried to call for our Legion nostalgia with many effects in Shadowlands being the callback to Legion legendaries, but in reality most of these effects a way weaker or changed in the most uninteresting way.

Legion legendaries on other hand were powerful, worth of grinding, and gameplay changing. Most Shadowlands ones arent.

For example, Holy Paladin has ZERO actually good legendaries. Couple of them are decent... for a azerite trait passive, the rest are trash not worth picking.

Most Shadowlands Legendary effects are scuffed versions of talents. Only few of them per class at best are worth of picking, and you can only pick one to use.

So, in fact, Blizzard just invented another source of grind for little of character power up. Legendary effects dont feel legendary and keep behind the Torghast grind and all other forms of grind.

All that just to get single weak passive effect.
    So what you want is a Martin's Fury who plays the game for you?

Quote Originally Posted by DemonBorn View Post
    So what you want is a Martin's Fury who plays the game for you?
    (Some) Legion legendaries were impactful enough to warrant rotational adjustments, while Shadowlands legendaries just kinda do their own thing with a minor passive more often than not. If anything, the rotationally impactful Legion legendaries took more effort to use than anything coming in Shadowlands.

orange is the new purple since mop.
    purple is the new blue and so on. they lost their meaning long ago.
    Last edited by Gref; 2020-09-16 at 01:17 AM.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalisandra View Post
    There were worse. At least Prydaz helped you not die to burning hot mistakes.
    I had several DPS that loved that neck. It allowed my boomkin to start going places solo and not dying. Sorry...it was equipped the whole expansion.

To the OP: On the other hand, legendaries are just power boosters. If you get a good one...woot. If you don't get a good one....don't equip it. My 24 toons had bank slots full of them. None of them broke the game for me by not having "bis". Some made the game a lot more fun and some toons were played more because of certain ones they had. That's why I have a max level toon of every class (X2...different servers). This game craps on some specs the whole expansion. Some only get half an expansion of dump...and some have a silver spoon in their mouth from day 1 (FOTM for some folks). Blizzard will adjust...modify.....excuse....and ignore legendaries. Some will be featured in videos of super human feats of damage (and promptly get nerfed). Just play the game, equip what you are given/earned and have fun. If it bums you out....take a break and come back later.
    Have fun and stay safe!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vulfrika View Post
    No, they absolutely were not. Legendaries used to be a gamechanger that put the lucky like 0.1% who got them miles ahead of anyone else.

The first time legendaries got dumbed down was the legendary socket and legendary gem in MoP, and even then it was better than many of Slands "legendaries" (in fact azerite armor).
    Bow was worse than some epic, it was only good for free ammo and as a rogue statstick.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by Frinata View Post
    I don't disagree with you, just that the individual that I had responded to was treating legendaries of old as these uber game changers that put a wide gulf between people without much effort on the side of the wielder, which is how corruption works in actuality.

It's not a matter of access, it's a matter of what that does to your character, which is a chief complaint of corruption; it takes all the skill away if your corruptions just go off and murder for you, and your actual abilities don't make a dent in comparison
    Except just 3 specs use proc corruptions, stat-sticks are better.

I would be straight. 90% of Legendaries in Shadowlands are trash. They dont feel Legendary at all.

Blizzard tried to call for our Legion nostalgia with many effects in Shadowlands being the callback to Legion legendaries, but in reality most of these effects a way weaker or changed in the most uninteresting way.

Legion legendaries on other hand were powerful, worth of grinding, and gameplay changing. Most Shadowlands ones arent.

For example, Holy Paladin has ZERO actually good legendaries. Couple of them are decent... for a azerite trait passive, the rest are trash not worth picking.

Most Shadowlands Legendary effects are scuffed versions of talents. Only few of them per class at best are worth of picking, and you can only pick one to use.

So, in fact, Blizzard just invented another source of grind for little of character power up. Legendary effects dont feel legendary and keep behind the Torghast grind and all other forms of grind.

All that just to get single weak passive effect.
    Good,legion legenderies wile cool,were pure dogshit implementation wise,it was proof of the devs pure incompetency,if you got lucky you were a god vs someone who didnt get lucky,huge power spikes,some classes were performing over 50% better with the best legendery vs random crap

The shadowlands ones atleast wont feel this way anymore,and im fully expecting them to get better over time,but atleast this way we have time to actualy get them

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by vulfrika View Post
    No, they absolutely were not. Legendaries used to be a gamechanger that put the lucky like 0.1% who got them miles ahead of anyone else.

The first time legendaries got dumbed down was the legendary socket and legendary gem in MoP, and even then it was better than many of Slands "legendaries" (in fact azerite armor).
    Actualy the legenderies after cata were far stronger than the old model,legion legenderies made you pver 50% stronger than someone with bad ones,and even more than those with none,wod legendery ring was by far the most extreme power we ever had in game

stuff like shadowmourn or hand of rag are jokes compared to those

In your mind, change the color from Legendary to like, that off tan color Heirlooms used to be.
    And then change the rarity name from "Legendary" to some shit like "Runic"
    There.
    I've fixed your problem.

Snip
    I love how one's personal, subjective opinion on a matter means that they've somehow been lied to. That's some Olympics-level mental gymnastics.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

My main issue with legendaries in shadowlands is that blizzard is repeating the same mistake they made in legion by having utility legendaries competing for a single slot with throughput legendaries. What they need to do is divide legendaries into 2 catagories and allow us to wear one of *each*.

Alternatively, althrough this would probably require nerfs somewhere, tie each legendary to a conduit type and allow us to wear 3, with the types we can equip being tied to the conduits we chose. Preferably with the which conduit a legendary is tied to *NOT* being tied to what it does. So for example, a high throughput legendary might be finesse instead of potency to create the interesting choice for dps between do you pick this potency conduit for the dps boost or do you grab that finesse one so you can wear your best legendary sooner?

Quote Originally Posted by jzhbee View Post
    In your mind, change the color from Legendary to like, that off tan color Heirlooms used to be.
    And then change the rarity name from "Legendary" to some shit like "Runic"
    There.
    I've fixed your problem.
    Remember when they changed the loot in 5mans from epic to blues, and people lost their godamn minds? No matter how many times Blizzard stated the fact that they still retained an equivalent power level relative to other content, players just couldnt handle it. Cataclysm from memory, could be wrong about that though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei View Post
    Remember when before MoP the devs roughly explained at blizzcon how your daily or weekly life as player would look like? "We've heard you don't like to log in every day to do your daily heroics, well good news, now you can complete 7(?)can't quite remember as badge came from all sources) and then be done!" And it was true. Thre was no catch.
    Since WoD, we have wishy-washy dev interviews, and they are more like advertisers of wow nowadays than gamemakers speaking about the game as to how it works. All you see at blizzcon or in interviews is flat out advertising. And just like Ariel (or Tide if you're amercian?) takes out blood and motor oil and grass and everything from your clothes, Shadowlands will not have AP farm, and will have legendaries etc.
    Did azerite work out as it was advertised? Essences? Corruptions? I think the answer is clear HAHAHHAH, NOPE.

I think it speaks out loud that even content creators on the beta don't even know for sure how your daily/weekly life will look like in details. In practice. Because many things are not even implemented, or don't quite work or something else... They've been on the beta for months, and still we only have just an idea about how end game will look like in practice.
    This is by design.

Subterfuge and misdirection...BlizZard is going to release all the details once expansion is near release hoping people have the sunk cost mentality and will give it a "go" despite their brain telling them this is not a good deal.

Prepatch is near and no one knows what the MAW is supposed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mafic View Post
    This is by design.

Subterfuge and misdirection...BlizZard is going to release all the details once expansion is near release hoping people have the sunk cost mentality and will give it a "go" despite their brain telling them this is not a good deal.

Prepatch is near and no one knows what the MAW is supposed to be.

We have a better idea now, or rather we've had some idea for a while if you didn't do all the content skipping. There are still a bunch of bugs and issues with end game content in terms of daily/weekly activities, but if you've done math based upon what's available and the direction that systems are likely headed you'll find that you really don't need to grind out much of anything. In terms of reputation, you can grind out WQs... but the weekly quests are more efficient, and the power gains from reputations are all available at honored iirc. For anima, it's in a similar spot to where you can grind out anima if you want... but the most you're doing is front loading your work that could've been done next week without losing out on anything this week.

That's pretty much why the main Covenant progression is Renown and the associated weekly quests, not dailies nor reputation grinds nor anima grinds. If you do your weekly quests, your Covenant progression will not be hindered at all, as all the power upgrades are tied to Renown level, not anima nor the expansion of your Covenant sanctum. If you want to expand on more optional aspects of the end-game, there's activities to do if you wish, but they are not tied to your power progression at all.

While I'm thinking of it: 95% sure that The Maw was supposed to be outdoor content to grind keys and/or benefits for Torghast... but once they got rid of the key requirement for Torghast, they didn't have any purpose for The Maw for initial release (as you can tell it's meant to be iterated on further in the expansion). Last build they changed it so doing activities in The Maw gives you progress towards socketing some of your gear, which actually gives you a reason to be there beyond main storyline quests. Basically, they were still fleshing out the initial concept and purposes of The Maw for 9.0, had to scrap the plan and put The Maw on a back-burner when they removed key requirements for Torghast until they found a use for it. I imagine it'll be fleshed out more in future patches, it's just a piece of content that not high priority compared to fixing other aspects of the game on the beta this close to release.

*edit* - Forgot to add Torghast into the conversation, but I honestly haven't tested it in a few builds as they were constantly iterating on the reward scheme, so I can't truthfully talk about that aspect with great accuracy.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2020-09-16 at 03:38 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by Chromell View Post
    Yes. I'm sure every DPS loved it when their first legendary popped and it was Prydaz.
    hey! that was my first legendary, with secondary stats that made it so that it wasnt even worth equipping. i decided to take a break after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Players: borrowed power sucks

Also players: borrowed power isn't powerful enough
    What a bizarre take. People don't want borrowed power, yes, but if your reward system of your only real feature (Torghast) is going to be based around borrowed power, the borrowed power needs to at least matter enough to make the weekly chipping away at Soul Ash actually feel worth doing. Otherwise there's no progression at all.

Borrowed power is also fine if paired with a base class design that feels fulfilling.

That being said, some legendaries are fantastic, so I see it as more a function of tuning not being done on them, the same way that Conduits are all over the map.

Shadow's best legendary all of Legion was +1 charge to Mind Blast... And there's new legendaries like "SW:D consumes your DoTs for extra damage" and "Mind Blast causes your Shadowfiend to AoE and extends the duration" soooooo
    Last edited by ttylol; 2020-09-16 at 05:28 AM.