Best / Most fun melee dps class for Shadowlands!!!

Hello everyone,

After a while of not playing im returning to wow when the pre patch launches.

Now im having trouble deciding which class to main in shadowlands. Over the years my preference has always been melee dps so im looking to that role.

At the moment i have it narrowed down to 3 classes:

- Frost DK ( love Arthas, love Ice, love plate transmogs but low mobilty is kinda a issue)

- Havoc Demon Hunter ( love the mobilty, the fast gameplay and the demon transformation, but fell isnt my ultimate class fantasy and leather transmogs kinda let me down)

- Retribution Paladin ( Ashbringer is amazing, love blasting my opponents with holy light and pala transmogs are great, but low mobilty again becomes a issue

So what class should i choose here?

Any ideas about other classes are also welcome because maybe i havent thought enough about them

Any help would be welcome

Only one class can Double jump

Ignore all those 3 and play Arms Warrior

Rogues do it from behind.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

Quote Originally Posted by Jalham View Post
    Ignore all those 3 and play Arms Warrior
    Is arms that fun?

I played fury in bfa, but got quite bored fast

Quote Originally Posted by Aranis View Post
    Is arms that fun?

I played fury in bfa, but got quite bored fast
    Hopefully Arms gets some buffs before Shadowlands goes live, apparently its not performing very well. Its a fun spec though, good mobility with charge and leap and its fun to line up cooldowns for the execute phase.

Don't forget survival hunter and enhancement shaman.

I wish survival hunter could have gotten some love for shadowlands, but it seems to be forgotten again. Blizz did a lot of work on enhancement shamans, but they still don't seem to be doing that well dps wise and they are squishy.

IMO the only really interesting melee specs are rogue and unholy deathknight. Blizz doubled down on rogue roll the bones which is annoying, but subtlety and assassination are both doing great. Unholy doesn't seem to be doing well DPS wise either.

I know folks always say, 'play what is fun' but I have never found it fun to be at the bottom of the dps chart every single time due to a class just being designed poorly. Hopefully I will win when I play meta roulette this expansion.

- P

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post
    Hopefully Arms gets some buffs before Shadowlands goes live, apparently its not performing very well. Its a fun spec though, good mobility with charge and leap and its fun to line up cooldowns for the execute phase.

I wish survival hunter could have gotten some love for shadowlands, but it seems to be forgotten again. Blizz did a lot of work on enhancement shamans, but they still don't seem to be doing that well dps wise and they are squishy.

IMO the only really interesting melee specs are rogue and unholy deathknight. Blizz doubled down on rogue roll the bones which is annoying, but subtlety and assassination are both doing great. Unholy doesn't seem to be doing well DPS wise either.

I know folks always say, 'play what is fun' but I have never found it fun to be at the bottom of the dps chart every single time due to a class just being designed poorly. Hopefully I will win when I play meta roulette this expansion.

- P
    I love the idea of survival hunter, but in the end i feel like it does the same as beast mastery but worse.

Havent really tried rogue, so maybe should give that a try

Hello everyone,

Now im having trouble deciding which class to main in shadowlands. Over the years my preference has always been melee dps so im looking to that role.

- Frost DK ( love Arthas, love Ice, love plate transmogs but low mobilty is kinda a issue)

- Havoc Demon Hunter ( love the mobilty, the fast gameplay and the demon transformation, but fell isnt my ultimate class fantasy and leather transmogs kinda let me down)

- Retribution Paladin ( Ashbringer is amazing, love blasting my opponents with holy light and pala transmogs are great, but low mobilty again becomes a issue

Any ideas about other classes are also welcome because maybe i havent thought enough about them

I would like to point out that Havoc currently is very terrible gameplay wise in beta. You have lost most lf the fast paced gamestyle, Blade Dance is most likely not in your rotation anymore amd you either spend a lot of time pressing Demons Bite (a LOT more than now) or have A LOT of empty cooldowns with Demon Blades.
    On the other hand, half your talent tree is dead, because its build around Momentum, but Momentum is not supported anymore.
    Besides that you have like 1 1/2 viable Covenants. So yeah. Better chose something else.

Subtletly rogue.

Enhancement shaman...

I'm going feral probably pretty low on people's list but I still enjoy it.

Rogues is looking to be strong as fuck though so probably that.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Well actually you should tell us what you expect. Do you want simple specs? Havoc and Ret are insanely essy to play, there is barely no setup needed and both are bursty.

Rogues are a safe bet. They are once again insanely overpowered in beta and assa offers a simple bleed gamestyle, while sub is more complex. Outlaw is also good.

Frost DK looks fine. Mobility is offset by strong defensives, bres and you can pick covenants that buff mobility. You wont be a Havoc or Arms, but covenants help a lot at mobility (there is a grip cov ability so noone can really run away).

Enhancement looks fun to play, but it is squishy as hell and pretty low tuned right now. It can be fun, but you might hate not being picked for PvP and M+. Windfury totem might be nice to get a raid spot though.

Best: survival hunter
    Most fun: dh

Quote Originally Posted by pahbi View Post

- P
    Keep in mind SV Hunter is not even close to finished yet. Just recently fixed the focus regen bug, and the conduits aren’t even implemented yet from what i last saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurosh View Post
    Well actually you should tell us what you expect. Do you want simple specs? Havoc and Ret are insanely essy to play, there is barely no setup needed and both are bursty.

Rogues are a safe bet. They are once again insanely overpowered in beta and assa offers a simple bleed gamestyle, while sub is more complex. Outlaw is also good.

Frost DK looks fine. Mobility is offset by strong defensives, bres and you can pick covenants that buff mobility. You wont be a Havoc or Arms, but covenants help a lot at mobility (there is a grip cov ability so noone can really run away).

Enhancement looks fun to play, but it is squishy as hell and pretty low tuned right now. It can be fun, but you might hate not being picked for PvP and M+. Windfury totem might be nice to get a raid spot though.
    Doesnt need to be simple but also not overly complicated

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Since everyone is clear that demon hunters have lost that touch which i liked about them in legion they are out.

The idea of rogues is still noy entirely convincing me. The class fantasy of rogues is not something i really working out for me. But since they are so good right now i consider giving them a try in the prepatch

But as it stands now im looking at 2h frost death knight, retribution paladin or maybe survival hunter if the latest changes are good.

Hello everyone,

Help me choose threads are a nogo. Fun is entirely subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Help me choose threads are a nogo. Fun is entirely subjective.
    Hearing peoples opinions and experiences still helps me

Doesn't help you perhaps, but my main three melee specs in SL that I am going to play is Frost DK, Survival Hunter and Fury Warrior. All for fun purposes. DK will be main, while the two others will be playable alts that I will focus more on than the other alts. I must say Fury feels surprisingly really nice to play on the ptr and I couldn't stop hitting that target dummy because it felt so good. Deffo a top 3 character in Shadowlands for me.
    Last edited by Doffen; 2020-09-17 at 01:34 AM.

Hearing peoples opinions and experiences still helps me
    No, im telling you it is against the rules of the site:

https://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php...les_guidelines

"Do not create pointless threads such as "Which class/race/gender/faction/server should I roll?""

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    "Help Me Choose" type threads don't tend to produce much in the way of constructive discussion or debate. Please check online resources and/or the class-specific subforums if you have further questions. Closing this.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead