Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
LastLast
  1. #61
    If we ever get another Warcraft film it should definitely be very character focused. I'd probably start with the Orcish genecide of Draeni from the perspective of Durotar primarily focused on Telmor thing as like a narrative hook. You could make a coherent arc there, show the orc clans as a scattered people attacked by orges etc during Durotar's childhood (showing why the Orcs would find the idea of the Horde attractive) and that the Draeni were often kind to the Orcs. Ending with Durotan's betrayal of the Spacegoats symbolical of the Horde fall into villanay. This would also get across why Thrall needs to redeem the Horde better for later films. You could rejig the blood drinking to before Telmor to bring in the demonic forces behind the Horde etc.

    I'd also throw in the Oshu'gun as a secondary to loosely explain why the Horde attacks Draeni, gives a better understanding of the orcs culture and so as the more demonic elements of the Horde come forward the audience can see the Horde are just puppets for darker forces.
    Last edited by WonderZebra; 2020-09-17 at 01:18 AM.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    First there is this:
    https://newslagoon.com/a-new-warcraf...epared/303281/

    If they are going to Rebooth the Warcraft movie, I think they need to get away from the mindset of following the flow set by the games.
    While not directly a Warcraft: Orcs and Humans movie, the Warcraft movie was pretty close. With all of the lore and characters that make up Warcraft, there is just too much to try to fit onto the big screen like that.

    As much as I hate to compare movies to the Marvel Universe, it is an example of how to successfully introduce and build characters for audiences not familiar with vast amounts of backstory. Similar to how Marvel had Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America before they had an Avenger's movie that brought several pieces together, I think Warcraft should take a similar approach. Start with a strong movie about one character. Follow up with deepdives of two or three other important lore figures, then do an epic movie, a la Avengers, either for the first War or the First and Second War together (since the two wars together amount to Orcs sneak attacking Humans and then both sides getting allies and Humans retaliating, with side stories of Guldan pulling his army, etc).

    My idea would be to do the first movie about Illidan. As beloved as Arthas is, I think Illidan's story is more interesting, at least as an introduction to the Warcraft Universe as a whole. From his birth, to his failings as a druid, a gifted mage, a "traitor", a demon, a demon hunter, a prisoner, jilted lover, war criminal, villian, and finally death (I think the Legion resurrection would make more sense after a few other movies are made and maybe as part of a Legion standalone movie). Along the way we would have supporting characters in Malfurion and Tyrande, appearances by Cenarius and others, and maybe even cameos by Azshara, etc.

    The first Warcraft Movie had too many characters and too much story for such a small amount of time.

    With character movies, you introduce the characters slowly and actually build up the characters. Similar to how the books are a compliment to the games, movies could take on the same role. We could see Illidan failing as a druid, training as a mage, making friends, losing friends, flirting with Tyrande, etc. Nothing to take away from the established lore or change it in any impactful way, but add depth.

    IF they are going to reboot the Warcraft movie, I think this would be a better option than repeating the failings of the first movie.
    I am also not sure that live-action would be the way to go, preferring an animated style, but that can be a topic for another discussion.
    They need to get away from the whole idea of a MOVIE. TV series is where its at right now. They could make this SOOO much better doing 10 episode season on a good network like GOT did.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbour View Post
    While the idea of blank slate Warcraft movie, it nearly impossible in nowadays Hollywood. Movie business is in deep crisis.
    Animated Warcraft Netflix series on other hand would be much more attractive.
    Indeed. Either full CGI (unlikely, due to budget concerns) or animated similarly to the pre-expansion shorts they make. Live-action Warcraft died when the one movie they made was a box office disaster everywhere but in China. A good animated series was made for Castlevania, and Warcraft has a bigger audience plus an already cartoony artstyle that translates horribly to live-action but well to animation. If Warcraft as a future on the screen, it's on the small one.

    EDIT: That said, I think a standalone Arthas movie could mayyyyybe work somewhere down the line if they can nab one or a few big name star(s). Don't tie it to anything else, just pull a Joker (2019) and make it solely the story of Arthas's fall to darkness. Start with him being sent to investigate a plague in some medieval fantasy kingdom everyone and their grandma is familiar of, meets and interacts with Uther and Jaina, first half ends with Culling of Stratholme, goes to Northrend and meets Muradin, grabs Frostmourne, big setpiece battle vs Scourge and Mal'Ganis afterwards, comes back to Lordaeron and kills Terenas literally like in the cinematic of WC3, final scene is a climatic duel with Uther, roll credits as Frostmourne consumes his soul. No other Warcraft story can be well told without a stupid amount of extraneous lore and secondary characters which doesn't work in standalone movie. Even then it would require a great budget for the actors, costumes, and CGI undead armies, so it remains supremely unlikely.
    Last edited by Jastall; 2020-09-17 at 01:26 AM.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    First there is this:
    https://newslagoon.com/a-new-warcraf...epared/303281/

    If they are going to Rebooth the Warcraft movie, I think they need to get away from the mindset of following the flow set by the games.
    While not directly a Warcraft: Orcs and Humans movie, the Warcraft movie was pretty close. With all of the lore and characters that make up Warcraft, there is just too much to try to fit onto the big screen like that.

    As much as I hate to compare movies to the Marvel Universe, it is an example of how to successfully introduce and build characters for audiences not familiar with vast amounts of backstory. Similar to how Marvel had Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America before they had an Avenger's movie that brought several pieces together, I think Warcraft should take a similar approach. Start with a strong movie about one character. Follow up with deepdives of two or three other important lore figures, then do an epic movie, a la Avengers, either for the first War or the First and Second War together (since the two wars together amount to Orcs sneak attacking Humans and then both sides getting allies and Humans retaliating, with side stories of Guldan pulling his army, etc).

    My idea would be to do the first movie about Illidan. As beloved as Arthas is, I think Illidan's story is more interesting, at least as an introduction to the Warcraft Universe as a whole. From his birth, to his failings as a druid, a gifted mage, a "traitor", a demon, a demon hunter, a prisoner, jilted lover, war criminal, villian, and finally death (I think the Legion resurrection would make more sense after a few other movies are made and maybe as part of a Legion standalone movie). Along the way we would have supporting characters in Malfurion and Tyrande, appearances by Cenarius and others, and maybe even cameos by Azshara, etc.

    The first Warcraft Movie had too many characters and too much story for such a small amount of time.

    With character movies, you introduce the characters slowly and actually build up the characters. Similar to how the books are a compliment to the games, movies could take on the same role. We could see Illidan failing as a druid, training as a mage, making friends, losing friends, flirting with Tyrande, etc. Nothing to take away from the established lore or change it in any impactful way, but add depth.

    IF they are going to reboot the Warcraft movie, I think this would be a better option than repeating the failings of the first movie.
    I am also not sure that live-action would be the way to go, preferring an animated style, but that can be a topic for another discussion.
    Doing warcraft movies is just a mistake,not everything can be done like lord of the rings and work,it should follow game of thrones(but end better lol)

    Im honestly rly scared for DUNE,the trailer looks amazing,but no way in hell they can do it justice to the story

  5. #65
    Well I personally used to really enjoy the narrative. Which, being so nuanced, could be better told in the form of an episodic show. That format doesn't typically allow for the budget to include the level of cgi and effects that the movie had in each episode. I could live with modern day star-trek style costumes and effects if it meant the story got told thoroughly and accurately with the focus more on character development and emotion. But if they could find the money to do that AND have the same level effects as the movie, then cool

  6. #66
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    30,014
    Movies, TV, it won't matter much. Whatever they do, if they do anything at all, won't be targeted at the U.S. market. In this case we'll be a secondary market. I would expect that whatever they imagine will work in China and Europe will be at the front of their minds.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  7. #67
    This bogus ass looking website have any actual sources?

  8. #68
    The Lightbringer Nordheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Nordics
    Posts
    3,029
    Warcraft should've been a Netflix series or something. The biggest flaw - in my eyes - was that they tried to build far too many characters in one movie.

  9. #69
    Why reboot the movie? For me was very good tbh, was just like the first warcraft with some changes to make a 3 hour movie

    Problem is, for people who know shit about warcraft lore, the movie miss some info
    Quote Originally Posted by Overlordd View Post
    This race is an abomination and atrocity. This race doesn't belong in World of Warcraft at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Got ganked by a Vulpera, huh?

  10. #70
    Lich king movie would be a total boring fest. arthas story ok but the end? being in ice and after a while being out to be killed by a random group of people.

    Illidan movie would be much more interseting.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    First there is this:
    https://newslagoon.com/a-new-warcraf...epared/303281/

    If they are going to Rebooth the Warcraft movie, I think they need to get away from the mindset of following the flow set by the games.
    While not directly a Warcraft: Orcs and Humans movie, the Warcraft movie was pretty close. With all of the lore and characters that make up Warcraft, there is just too much to try to fit onto the big screen like that.

    As much as I hate to compare movies to the Marvel Universe, it is an example of how to successfully introduce and build characters for audiences not familiar with vast amounts of backstory. Similar to how Marvel had Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America before they had an Avenger's movie that brought several pieces together, I think Warcraft should take a similar approach. Start with a strong movie about one character. Follow up with deepdives of two or three other important lore figures, then do an epic movie, a la Avengers, either for the first War or the First and Second War together (since the two wars together amount to Orcs sneak attacking Humans and then both sides getting allies and Humans retaliating, with side stories of Guldan pulling his army, etc).

    My idea would be to do the first movie about Illidan. As beloved as Arthas is, I think Illidan's story is more interesting, at least as an introduction to the Warcraft Universe as a whole. From his birth, to his failings as a druid, a gifted mage, a "traitor", a demon, a demon hunter, a prisoner, jilted lover, war criminal, villian, and finally death (I think the Legion resurrection would make more sense after a few other movies are made and maybe as part of a Legion standalone movie). Along the way we would have supporting characters in Malfurion and Tyrande, appearances by Cenarius and others, and maybe even cameos by Azshara, etc.

    The first Warcraft Movie had too many characters and too much story for such a small amount of time.

    With character movies, you introduce the characters slowly and actually build up the characters. Similar to how the books are a compliment to the games, movies could take on the same role. We could see Illidan failing as a druid, training as a mage, making friends, losing friends, flirting with Tyrande, etc. Nothing to take away from the established lore or change it in any impactful way, but add depth.

    IF they are going to reboot the Warcraft movie, I think this would be a better option than repeating the failings of the first movie.
    I am also not sure that live-action would be the way to go, preferring an animated style, but that can be a topic for another discussion.
    I do think they should probably mostly stick to the perspective of 2 characters at most. It's just difficult because if they attempt to follow the story at all, the most important character at any given time changes pretty often. I honestly think they would just need to go with a completely different story that is just set in the warcraft universe.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Not worth debating because there's no way in hell that will happen.
    It literally says in the OP's link that it's going to happen????

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    That's unlikely to happen unless Blizzard gets even richer.

    To put things into perspective, Blizzard is worth 1.4 billion. Marvel Studios was bought by Disney for 4 billion, almost three times Blizzard's net worth. End Game made 1.2 billion in the opening week, nearly Blizzard's net worth. They aren't even on the same level. If Blizzard wants more Warcraft movies, they will need to either become much wealthier or outside investment.
    Prior to the movies they had the comics and a few other animated series. They were worth less than blizzard back then.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by korijenkins View Post
    LMAO dude what movie did you watch? It was terrible. The CGI was bad on everything except the Orcs, the plot was atrocious and boring, the acting was beyond wooden. The costume design was disgraceful.

    What did you watch? You think there's some grand conspiracy? It only did badly because Rotten Tomatoes is corrupt? Do you even know what that site is? I'm guessing you don't. It's a review aggregate. It gives films scores based off ALL of the reviews it receives. Do you know what that means? It means all of the reviews Warcrap got were terrible.
    There's definitely worse movies that did better though.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Source and what is the basis on this figure? Blizzard as a company separate of Activision?

    All I found was this

    https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...zard/net-worth

    Activision Blizzard net worth as of September 15, 2020 is $61.07B.

    I can't imagine that Blizzard is worth 1.4b when that figure is roughly what they're bringing in annually (Just Blizz, not Activision Blizzard as a whole).
    Honestly, I didn't even question his valuation but yeah that does seem absurdly low.

  12. #72
    Who needs movies?

    Make a tv show. Much better.

  13. #73
    The movie wasnt a bad concept, i just wished they would have gone the series route, they tried cramming tons of stuff into hours and it just turned out to be a rushed cgi showcase of places and characters with little to no backstory, if they went the series route an hour an episode could have fleshed out a lot of characters and locations and even with lore retcons, or even just a lore reboot it would have been amazing.

  14. #74
    Brewmaster khazmodan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    strait jacket
    Posts
    1,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Clone View Post
    That's unlikely to happen unless Blizzard gets even richer.

    To put things into perspective, Blizzard is worth 1.4 billion. Marvel Studios was bought by Disney for 4 billion, almost three times Blizzard's net worth. End Game made 1.2 billion in the opening week, nearly Blizzard's net worth. They aren't even on the same level. If Blizzard wants more Warcraft movies, they will need to either become much wealthier or outside investment.
    Interesting that the net worth now of the entirety of Blizzard is less than the average gross income of just WoW 10 years ago...

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Devylknyght View Post
    The first movie was the biggest theatrical disappointment I have ever experienced. A reboot where they actually stick to the narrative would be great for me, but not the general public. A GoT style series would actually be pretty great, if they abandon all the cgi and find an acceptable way to do practical effects on a tiny budget. Probably not likely.
    “Disappointment”? You mean you were surprised a movie based on a video game sucked?

  16. #76
    Imo they missed their chance to make a movie, if they would have dropped the movie during cata or even mop, they would have made more money from fans and probably guarantee a sequel.

  17. #77
    I have zero confidence in this article.
    The language is poor, clearly written by a non-native speaker and it reads like a (slightly) glorified head-canon forum post.

    As many others have stated, I think a series with a limited number of episodes per season is the way to go. Hell, get HBO involved, or Starz or something.
    I would love to sit down on a Monday night and just chill with some quality Warcraft shows.

    Where most movie and TV-adaptations tend to falter imo, is in the script department, get some good writers and a showrunner who understands character development, and for all that is holy keep Danuser far, far away from it.
    Last edited by Chronometer; 2020-09-18 at 06:36 AM. Reason: typo

  18. #78
    The Lightbringer Nordheim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    The Nordics
    Posts
    3,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    They need to get away from the whole idea of a MOVIE. TV series is where its at right now. They could make this SOOO much better doing 10 episode season on a good network like GOT did.
    Aye. The movie was also garbage due to how many characters they were trying to build up within 2 hours, and that problem wouldnt even exist if it was a TV series.

    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    “Disappointment”? You mean you were surprised a movie based on a video game sucked?
    Funnily enough, its the best earned ''Game > movie'' so far (unless it's been surpassed since).

  19. #79
    Spam Assassin! MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Tralfamadore
    Posts
    30,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronometer View Post
    I have zero confidence in this article.
    The language is poor, clearly written by a non-native speaker and it reads like a (slightly) glorified head-canon forum post.
    The domain for their e-mail is Montenegro. As for whether or not the English is any good, it's possible that foreign sites might have some insight into what's going on that U.S. entertainment sites do not. If you check out the site proper it seems split between U.S. and news from India.

    I have no idea if anything in the article is true or not but the site itself seems to not be some fan thing. Hard to know for sure, of course, but it does not appear to be a site based in the U.S.
    “We live in a moment where everything immediately seems to default to outrage. There’s a kind of M.O. of either it’s exactly how I see it, or you’re my enemy.”

  20. #80

    lich king movie or riot!

    lich king movie or riot!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •