Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    the ONLY good wow movie could be made by blizzards cinematic team...everything else will just be trash that bombs...

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    the ONLY good wow movie could be made by blizzards cinematic team...everything else will just be trash that bombs...
    Sadly Blizzard's cinematics don't carry the weight of a full movie or series, and would be far too expensive to roll out with the same level of story and quality. On top of that, there is less mainstream appeal in CG. I imagine that a full CG Witcher series would be real cool, but it wouldn't have anywhere near the level of appeal that the current live action series has. Movie/TV audience is generally more comfortable with live action.

I'd say that if we're talking about CG series, I would think most TV/movie audiences would be more comfortable with the Disney style of cartoon movie than a full realistic and gritty CG series like the Warcraft cinematics. It'd be far cheaper and easier to produce too.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-09-16 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmamass View Post
    Movie also needs good script. Visuals are nice, but that can only get you so far. Just look at the sadfang cinematics. Pure garbage.

The end is nigh! The aliens are coming! Behold the end of the world!

LOL no.

They should do something like Netflix animated series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    They had no prior build-up and instead tried to leech off of already established things people are familiar with. The Scourge? Maldraxxus did that. The Lich King? The Jailer did that. Frostmourne? The Runecarver made that. Sargeras corruption by demons and everything resulting from that? Also the Jailer's plan.

I was actually very happy with the approach they opted for with the Warcraft movie, namely to tell the origin story of the franchise and do it from both the Horde and the Alliance perspective with Durotan and Anduin Lothar as the two main characters. It lacked in execution, maybe it didn't focus enough on those two main characters, but it had the right idea behind it, in my opinion. The reports of how they were thinking of doing it before Duncan Jones came on as director sounded really bad to me. So while the end product was somewhat underwhelming, I'm glad Duncan Jones got to do it because I don't think any of those earlier ideas about telling the story mainly from a Human perspective was any good.

That being said, when they reboot the film franchise or make it into a television series obviously they can't start it the same way again. I do hope they tell the story of the First War again some day, but since they pretty much have to do something else I think the best approach would be to adapt part of the story of Warcraft III, namely the Lordaeron / Scourge / Northrend parts and focus on Arthas as the main character, and exclude the Thrall / Kalimdor stuff. Maybe Arthas' story is more than one movie? Either way they should complete that pre-WoW story. If that is successful I would do the Illidan movie, which would have had a small role in the Arthas movie(s), that would be like the Eternals in some ways, spanning tens of thousands of years, featuring the War of the Ancients and ending with Illidan's exile in Outland. But after that I would start again with a prequel telling the story of the First War again, because I don't think Thrall's story and the Orc's fight for freedom and escape to Kalimdor makes much sense without the First and Second War leading up to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Well i would not be surprised if the warcraft movie never got a sequel because it was only a huge hit in china and the CCP sure as shit aint letting the scourge story happen on their movie screens so anything else is the only option to market to Blizzards primary target audience.
    Technically it made enough money in the US to warrant a sequel, but I see why they didn't. I don't blame Duncan Jones at all for how it turned out, I blame Universal and Legendary Pictures. They interfered in production so much and had so much changed, it made the story into an incoherent mess. These suits had no idea what Warcraft is about, and just tried to make it into a stereotypical fantasy film. Not to mention, it had some of the worst marketing I've ever seen for a film. Idk who's idea it was to make a trailer with dubstep for a fantasy film with magic and orcs, but those people should be blacklisted from the industry. The staggered release dates didn't help in the slightest either. It came out in Europe first, then to North America almost a month later, then Australia another month after that. But that time, most people probably torrented it, so they didn't buy tickets.

Something with 25 years of story like Warcraft, would be far better suited for a tv series format. Trying to cram so much story into a 2 hour film and have it make sense, it nearly impossible.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Quote Originally Posted by Synros View Post
    Technically it made enough money in the US to warrant a sequel, but I see why they didn't. I don't blame Duncan Jones at all for how it turned out, I blame Universal and Legendary Pictures. They interfered in production so much and had so much changed, it made the story into an incoherent mess. These suits had no idea what Warcraft is about, and just tried to make it into a stereotypical fantasy film. Not to mention, it had some of the worst marketing I've ever seen for a film. Idk who's idea it was to make a trailer with dubstep for a fantasy film with magic and orcs, but those people should be blacklisted from the industry. The staggered release dates didn't help in the slightest either. It came out in Europe first, then to North America almost a month later, then Australia another month after that. But that time, most people probably torrented it, so they didn't buy tickets.

Something with 25 years of story like Warcraft, would be far better suited for a tv series format. Trying to cram so much story into a 2 hour film and have it make sense, it nearly impossible.
    Its Duncan himself that was the problem. Did you see his idea for sequel? No scourge, random tauren in internment camp sending Thrall to Kalimdor,...

Oh yes, entire movie series would be focusing on orcs.

This was actually posted on Reddit not that long ago and it looks really good imo:

I loved the Warcraft movie, but i think they should have gone with the most compeling story arc in the game. The lich king. Yes its nothing super original but that story is a sure success. Even for people that are not familiar with the game. I think the attempt to make the movie and start introducing the universe from the very start was a mistake. The whole story of orcs vs humans is not that interesting... and trying to explain a multiple things (history, old characters etc.) made the movie even bigger mess for the viewers that had no knowledge about the game. I think if they started with the story of Arthas.. introducing a simple story in a fantasy universe, without trying to explain everything. People would have connect way better to the characters and their journey. Just a prince in a kingdom, part of a paladin order, trying do the right thing, fall from grace... killing his father.... It would just be great story worth seeing again in this way. There would allways be an option prequels if the movie is successful and people become more and more interested in the stories behind the rest of the races, and characters in the movie. Ofcourse Arthas crosses paths with multple other chracters that deserve their own movie... and having them in would be realy tricky without the new viewers start questioning more and more. But maybe that would be the best idea. Make people wanting more.
    Also would love to see animated series in the style of Castlevania/MK-scorpion's revenge...

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    This was actually posted on Reddit not that long ago and it looks really good imo:

Mind blown. Whoever made that gets what sells.

The first movie was the biggest theatrical disappointment I have ever experienced. A reboot where they actually stick to the narrative would be great for me, but not the general public. A GoT style series would actually be pretty great, if they abandon all the cgi and find an acceptable way to do practical effects on a tiny budget. Probably not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Devylknyght View Post
    The first movie was the biggest theatrical disappointment I have ever experienced. A reboot where they actually stick to the narrative would be great for me, but not the general public. A GoT style series would actually be pretty great, if they abandon all the cgi and find an acceptable way to do practical effects on a tiny budget. Probably not likely.
    Why even do a Warcraft anything if they're gonna do away with the cgi and go with practical effects? It's not like story and realistic action is what drives the franchise...

The movie had the story of a typical low budget fantasy. Cutting the story short and forcing an alliance winning ending fucked the movie over.
    Kudos to the people who did Gul'dan though. The actor, costume and everything was judt amazing .. like the rest of the film should have been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Its Duncan himself that was the problem. Did you see his idea for sequel? No scourge, random tauren in internment camp sending Thrall to Kalimdor,...

Oh yes, entire movie series would be focusing on orcs.
    The Scourge didn't come until like 15 years after the orcs first arrived on Azeroth... Of course they wouldn't be in the squeal, especially when the story is focusing on the 1st and 2nd wars... Just because that's what they're currently focusing on, doesn't mean the Scourge and the 3rd War would never come later on. Christ, people are so goddamn impatient.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They should have made it a proper LotR style trilogy. Instead, they went with the SyFy channel Saturday afternoon, made for TV, B movie thing.

reboot? no thanks. just make an entirely new movie based on another part of the story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Does a movie reboot need to happen? Absolutely.

It should support a Game of Thrones-style TV Series though. The movies should also have a Lord of the Rings-style pacing.

I would do the movies like this. Each movie would focus on major lore events.

Here's a few examples:

• Arthas: Rise of the Lich King: Can be done in two 4-hour movies or three 2-hour movies. The first movie covers his life up to when he kills his father, Kel'Thuzad and then Uther. You don't need to cover everything but you definitely need to include the Culling of Stratholme and obviously when Arthas gets Frostmourne. A branching storyline is his relationships with Jaina and Uther as a Paladin. The second movie ends with his legendary duel with Illidan Stormrage before he becomes the Lich King. Again, you don't need to include everything and the invasion of Quel'Thalas will probably take up almost half the movie if not a third. A branching storyline would involve Sylvanas both alive and Undead. If the story is split into three movies, some scenes would be longer is all. A post credits scene would basically be Wrath's opening cinematic for an epic tie-in.
    • Black Temple Raid + Demon Hunter Starting Experience: You could do both of them in a single 3-hour movie. The first half covers Illidan's conquest of Outland and how he trains Demon Hunters, ending with Akama deciding to reach out to Shattrath City for help deposing Illidan. The second half, Illidan sends the bulk of the Illiadari to Marduun while he commands the remaining forces, ending with his death. A branching storyline in both halves shows the War of the Ancients and from his perspective, ending with him being exiled by Malfurion and Tyrande. The postcredits scene is basically Legion's Ending Cinematic.
    • Stormwind's Missing King: Basically Varian's days as a gladiator. It can be done in a single 2-hour movie. Lorewise, the Alliance kills Onyxia so it works. A branching storyline is Varian's memories from the First War to meeting Arthas to the birth of Andiun to the death of Tiffin. The movie ends with Varian and Thrall finally having the summit they were supposed to have had in Theramore. The postcredits scene is Legion's Opening Cinematic, teasing his death for those who don't know already.
    • Liadrin The Blood Knight: Covers Liadrin's transition from a priestess of the Light to the first Blood Knight. It starts in the present and she is recounting her early years up to the restoration of The Sunwell.
    • The Shattering: There would be the Alliance version and the Horde version. The Alliance version only covers the Alliance half from Muradin becoming a diamond to Varian going Rogue and breaking into Ironforge with SI:7. The Horde version only covers the Horde half from Thrall stepping down as Warchief to Garrosh's duel with Cairne. Both versions end with Cataclysm's Opening Cinematic.
    • Elegy/A Good War + Lordaeron: BFA's pre-event + opening quest. This would be a single three-hour movie. The first half of the War of Thorns itself in its entirety. The second half covers the battle for Lordaeron and ends with both factions going to Kul'Tiras and Zandalar respectively and Saurfang seeking out Thrall in Outland. A branching storyline is Saurfang thinking back on what he's experienced since the Orcs came to Azeroth from the first three wars to the War of Shifting Sands to the death of his son Dranosh. The postcredits scene would be Saurfang's Death Cinamatic to end the War Front Campaigns.

...Those are a few examples. Titles can be whatever basically.

The TV series would be the driving medium though. The slower pacing allows for more to be done. You could cover certain events in a whole season's worth of time. A few examples:

• Northrend Campaign: Easily two 24-episode Seasons with 1-hour episodes. The first season would include the Death Knight Starting Experience and end with the construction of the Argent Tournament Grounds being built. The Second Season would open with the Trial of the Grand Crusader Raid and include Ulduar before going to Icecrown Citadel. It would end with Sylvanas' Suicide and then making the deal with the Valkyr.
    • War of the Ancients: The pacing of this demands a season over movies because of all the stuff you need to cover including Suramar sealing itself off. It would end with Azshara aligning with Nzoth and turning into a Naga.
    • Dawn of the Aspects: From their beginnings to in the case of four of then, their demise. That's a whole season. Kalec, Wrathion, Chromie and Ebonhorn would all get featured as well.
    • Pandaren Campaign: The focus would be on the Alliance-Horde Conflict but about halfway through we start getting into Y'Saarj, Lei Shen and Emperor Shaohao, leading to the Siege of Orgrimmar.
    • Knights of the Ebon Blade: It could cover them from Battle for Light's Hope to the Northrend Campaign to the Battle for Andorhal to Legion and end with Shadowlands.

That's how I'd like it done with the focus on the stories. Major stories or events done in movies with the bulk of storytelling done in the TV Series.
    ...Ok, time to change the ol' Sig ^_^

This time I'll leave you the Links to 3 of my Wordpress Blogs: 1. Serene Adventure 2. Video Games 3. Anime Please subscribe if you like what you see. As a Bonus, I'll throw in my You Tube channel =D

If we ever get another Warcraft film it should definitely be very character focused. I'd probably start with the Orcish genecide of Draeni from the perspective of Durotar primarily focused on Telmor thing as like a narrative hook. You could make a coherent arc there, show the orc clans as a scattered people attacked by orges etc during Durotar's childhood (showing why the Orcs would find the idea of the Horde attractive) and that the Draeni were often kind to the Orcs. Ending with Durotan's betrayal of the Spacegoats symbolical of the Horde fall into villanay. This would also get across why Thrall needs to redeem the Horde better for later films. You could rejig the blood drinking to before Telmor to bring in the demonic forces behind the Horde etc.

I'd also throw in the Oshu'gun as a secondary to loosely explain why the Horde attacks Draeni, gives a better understanding of the orcs culture and so as the more demonic elements of the Horde come forward the audience can see the Horde are just puppets for darker forces.
    Last edited by Newname1234567890; 2020-09-17 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Neverafter View Post
    First there is this:
    https://newslagoon.com/a-new-warcraf...epared/303281/

If they are going to Rebooth the Warcraft movie, I think they need to get away from the mindset of following the flow set by the games.
    While not directly a Warcraft: Orcs and Humans movie, the Warcraft movie was pretty close. With all of the lore and characters that make up Warcraft, there is just too much to try to fit onto the big screen like that.

As much as I hate to compare movies to the Marvel Universe, it is an example of how to successfully introduce and build characters for audiences not familiar with vast amounts of backstory. Similar to how Marvel had Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America before they had an Avenger's movie that brought several pieces together, I think Warcraft should take a similar approach. Start with a strong movie about one character. Follow up with deepdives of two or three other important lore figures, then do an epic movie, a la Avengers, either for the first War or the First and Second War together (since the two wars together amount to Orcs sneak attacking Humans and then both sides getting allies and Humans retaliating, with side stories of Guldan pulling his army, etc).

My idea would be to do the first movie about Illidan. As beloved as Arthas is, I think Illidan's story is more interesting, at least as an introduction to the Warcraft Universe as a whole. From his birth, to his failings as a druid, a gifted mage, a "traitor", a demon, a demon hunter, a prisoner, jilted lover, war criminal, villian, and finally death (I think the Legion resurrection would make more sense after a few other movies are made and maybe as part of a Legion standalone movie). Along the way we would have supporting characters in Malfurion and Tyrande, appearances by Cenarius and others, and maybe even cameos by Azshara, etc.

The first Warcraft Movie had too many characters and too much story for such a small amount of time.

With character movies, you introduce the characters slowly and actually build up the characters. Similar to how the books are a compliment to the games, movies could take on the same role. We could see Illidan failing as a druid, training as a mage, making friends, losing friends, flirting with Tyrande, etc. Nothing to take away from the established lore or change it in any impactful way, but add depth.

IF they are going to reboot the Warcraft movie, I think this would be a better option than repeating the failings of the first movie.
    I am also not sure that live-action would be the way to go, preferring an animated style, but that can be a topic for another discussion.
    They need to get away from the whole idea of a MOVIE. TV series is where its at right now. They could make this SOOO much better doing 10 episode season on a good network like GOT did.