Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I love how the people on this forum say "Wonder Woman is how you do an empowering female movie!" while ignoring that it's literally a movie about her chasing Chris Pine, making reckless decisions because of Chris Pine, and basically screwing everything up because of Chris Pine.

It's quite silly.
    Exactly! She literally needs to lose her love interest to find her strength. Utterly pathetic.

The people calling Cptn Marvel a Mary Sue didn't watch the movie, she went through a journey to find herself and her power, which came from an outside source.

I think WW shines a light on the same principle as the White Saviour trope.

Quote Originally Posted by niztheundead87 View Post
    I love how people believe Captain marvel was any good at all. She didn't do anything to gain power she just had it. Typical Mary sue
    Hey now, I didn't say Captain Marvel was good. Captain Marvel is of equal quality to, say, Dr. Strange......and thus undeserving of all the hate it got.

I didn't like Battle of the Bastards episode that much, I thought Hardhome and Blackwater were superior episodes. But perhaps it's just because I was never interested in the North storyline.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Everyone thinks about a movies according to their taste and temperament. I think all movies are good and it takes time, money and energy to make them, but for its own audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Borat was boring and unfunny.
    hu im not the only one who thought that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only have one, and it is sad that this seems to be an unpopular opinion.

• The vast majority of the people complaining about how all the "Woke/PC culture" is ruining movies and TV are nothing but small minded and ignorant racists/sexist children and they just need to get over themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Sfidt View Post
    90% of modern movies are mass crap or try hard intellectual pretentious bullshit and I don't watch nearly any movies at all.
    If you don't watch nearly any movies at all, how would you know they are crap or try hard intellectual bullshit?

Quote Originally Posted by markos82 View Post
    You got things wrong. I hate that in every or most of them there has to be a gay guy or lesbian woman, few Asian guys and couple of black people for movie to be considered for critics to be ok. I am not racist but let's look at it like this, marvel movies from example, new iron man will be a black man or woman, Captain America probably a blackman but strangely no Asian people except in Dr. Strange. There were talks about Idris Elba ( who I think is great actor) being new James Bond which be be similar to Black Panter being white guy. Then just look at the last season of Sex Education, then remake of what women want now called what men want....
    I love how the phrase "I am not racist but" is always followed by ignorant, racist bullshit.

Why would you care if they make a movie with a black man or woman as Iron Man (or Iron Heart if they go with the comic character)? It's not like they are making Tony Stark black or something, it will be a different character taking up the mantle. Same with Cap. And no, a black man as James Bond is not the same as a white Black Panther. There is nothing about James Bond's race that is in any way integral to the character. Black Panther being black is a part of the character.

But sure, keep complaining about these kids movies and how upset you are about how they are ruining your white hero fantasy. Who cares about how much it might mean to little kids growing up these days to see a superhero in a movie that actually looks like them for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post

• The vast majority of the people complaining about how all the "Woke/PC culture" is ruining movies and TV are nothing but small minded and ignorant racists/sexist children and they just need to get over themselves.

If you don't watch nearly any movies at all, how would you know they are crap or try hard intellectual bullshit?

I love how the phrase "I am not racist but" is always followed by ignorant, racist bullshit.

Why would you care if they make a movie with a black man or woman as Iron Man (or Iron Heart if they go with the comic character)? It's not like they are making Tony Stark black or something, it will be a different character taking up the mantle. Same with Cap. And no, a black man as James Bond is not the same as a white Black Panther. There is nothing about James Bond's race that is in any way integral to the character. Black Panther being black is a part of the character.

But sure, keep complaining about these kids movies and how upset you are about how they are ruining your white hero fantasy. Who cares about how much it might mean to little kids growing up these days to see a superhero in a movie that actually looks like them for once.
    The way I put it is this: you can't have a white guy play Gandhi, or MLK, or Black Panther. Two of those are historical people with actual non-white races, and one is a character around whose cultural and racial identity is a key part of their identity.

But I absolutely could not give a shit if they made War Machine or Falcon white dudes. Because those are just military guys, and the key part of their identity is their military service.

But it works the other way too - I have no problem with Falcon or War Machine being white.....but I also have no problem with Iron Man or Captain America being black.

I love how people believe Captain marvel was any good at all. She didn't do anything to gain power she just had it. Typical Mary sue
    That describes the majority of all superheroes.

Superman - Didn't do anything to gain power. Just gets it by virtue of being in a system with a Yellow Sun.
    Spider-Man - Didn't do anything to gain power. Just got bit by a spider.
    Captain America - Didn't do anything to gain power. Was given to him by scientists.
    Wonder Woman - Didn't do anything to gain power. Was born/created (depending on the origin you go with) with it.
    Etc.

So why is it you single out Captain Marvel?

It annoys me because a lot of shows seem to "need" to have it added to the story, just for the sake of PC.

See? Your opinion = mine.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I put it is this: you can't have a white guy play Gandhi, or MLK, or Black Panther. Two of those are historical people with actual non-white races, and one is a character around whose cultural and racial identity is a key part of their identity.

But I absolutely could not give a shit if they made War Machine or Falcon white dudes. Because those are just military guys, and the key part of their identity is their military service.

But it works the other way too - I have no problem with Falcon or War Machine being white.....but I also have no problem with Iron Man or Captain America being black.
    Yep. 100%. If a character's race, gender, sexuality, ect. is a part of their character, then it should not be changed. If not, then I have no issue with it being changed if someone thinks that doing so will tell a better story or whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by kichigaijin View Post
    It annoys me because a lot of shows seem to "need" to have it added to the story, just for the sake of PC.

See? Your opinion = mine.
    It isn't PC. Studios do not care about that. It is marketing. They are trying to appeal to the largest number of people possible but in doing so, it has the added effect of showing a much larger variety of people on TV and in movies. If every show and/or movie having characters of all races and walks of life means that more people will be able to see something of themselves on the screen, then I am all for that. I am a straight, white, male so I grew up with literally every hero on TV or in movies looking like me and never really thought about it until I had one of my best friends who is asian tell me how odd it was to be a kid who never saw anyone in the movies who looked like him outside of bad guys or nerdy sidekicks.

Does it sometimes feel a little forced for the majority of TV shows to have a pretty diverse cast and always seem to have at least one gay character? A little, but it is such a minor thing to me and I hope eventually people get used to it and it will just be the norm to continue to include all types of people in fiction.

Hey, I'm South Asian, the only representation of me I saw on the big screen growing up in the 80s and 90s was Apu (negative stereotype voiced by a white guy) and the bad guys in Temple of Doom (such a painfully racist stereotype it hurts).

Studios putting in POC into movies and films is to get people involved in these properties. The phenomenon of Black Panther wasn't that it was the best Marvel movie, it's because he's a superhero who represents a proud African unbowed and unbent, and it was the first time lots of black kids saw a superhero who wasn't a sidekick to Tony Stark or Captain America.

I never said anything racist I said my opinion which in fact has nothing racist in it.

Because it is not a character that was meant to be black, white or woman. Same reason why you would probably care if they decide to make Black panther a white guy. Also inspiration for James Bond was white guy hell even some of this g real spy did were in the books...

White hero fantasy? Are you fucking delusional? In what kind of fucking hate bubble you live so anything anyone says negative about something you consider racist.

And that's the problem. What was the problem to kids seeing their superheroes like they are now. Why change this to suit people who don't feel secure about themselves. That's is what's wrong with political correctness, trying to please everyone and just fucking things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post

Superman - Didn't do anything to gain power. Just gets it by virtue of being in a system with a Yellow Sun.
    Captain America - Didn't do anything to gain power. Was given to him by scientists.
    Wonder Woman - Didn't do anything to gain power. Was born/created (depending on the origin you go with) with it.
    Etc.

Captain America actually did it's his mindset that made him what he is. The doctor explained that. Hence why he was worthy to lift the hammer.

Wonder woman trained from a young age to fight.

Superman is what he is because of his noble spirit he could abuse his power but he didn't.

And then you got Captain sue.

Several reasons, the most obvious being how she is proportionatly massively overpowered compared to her comic book counterpart (who in her own right, has never really been that liked but her popularity has definitely taken a tumble since Marvel changed her to Captain Marvel and shoehorned her in wherever they could), people disliking the actresses performance (and her general comments / attitudes for a few people) and just disliking the arrogance of the character.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, I'm South Asian, the only representation of me I saw on the big screen growing up in the 80s and 90s was Apu (negative stereotype voiced by a white guy) and the bad guys in Temple of Doom (such a painfully racist stereotype it hurts).

Studios putting in POC into movies and films is to get people involved in these properties. The phenomenon of Black Panther wasn't that it was the best Marvel movie, it's because he's a superhero who represents a proud African unbowed and unbent, and it was the first time lots of black kids saw a superhero who wasn't a sidekick to Tony Stark or Captain America.
    Why is being voiced by a white guy bad

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post

Etc.

Because it's only a problem is the character is a woman and not perfectly attractive and written to simper around a hot, preferably white, guy.

Why is being voiced by a white guy bad
    Because he created the voice, which is just a negative stereotype that defined my community for decades?

Because he created the voice, which is just a negative stereotype that defined my community for decades?
    A voice actor is putting only his voice why does his looks matter not that an actor pretends to be something he isn't.

But I guess you see race where there isn't. which makes you a racist

Flaming isn't allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-09-24 at 11:50 PM.

Captain America actually did it's his mindset that made him what he is. The doctor explained that. Hence why he was worthy to lift the hammer.
    Steve Rogers has the minset to help people no mater the odds. Carol Danvers has that same mindset.

Wonder woman trained from a young age to fight.
    So did Carol.

Superman is what he is because of his noble spirit he could abuse his power but he didn't.
    Neither does Carol.

And then you got Captain sue.
    "Captain Sue" has all the traits these other heroes do.

Also, your point was that "she didn't do anything to gain power"...and neither did any of these others. They were either born that way or had something happen to them that gave them powers.

And if you want to talk about "Captain Sue"...Steve Rogers is a 98 lbs weakling that is instantly transformed into the world's greatest soldier...and suddenly every girl in the world is swooning for him.

It's almost literally this:

Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-09-25 at 01:44 AM.

Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead arent good.

10+ Year Old Account
    The complaints about Captain Marvel are really forced and groundless; all they do is betray an ulterior motive for not approving of the character.

Its pretty clear in the context of the movie that she is a hero before she ever has any powers, and for me at least, that's what counts.

I don't think I posted an unpopular opinion yet, I liked Last Jedi best of the new trilogy, granted I hated Force Awakens and couldn't sit through whatever the last one was called.
    /s

I adore Breaking Bad and the TV series from Netflix Darkness.