Page 1 of 50
... LastLast

Final Fantasy XVI

FFXVI was announced today. It's being directed by FFXI director and assistant FFXIV director, Hiroshi Takai. It's being produced by FFXIV director, Naoki Yoshida.

I'm not too keen on the Witcher/Dragon Age-esque aesthetics and setting but I know it's going to be awesome anyways. They have Square's best talent both directing and producing it. Given how FF7R is being handled, FF16 will probably come to Steam a year after the game's PS5 launch.

Interesting they use the term "eikon". That is explicitly a FFXIV term. In FFXIV, Eikons are summons born of faith/prayers/willpower, given form by the magical power of crystals/aether. Eikons can be summons that operate on their own, or a person can summon themselves into an Eikon and directly control it (or, rather, use people's faith/desires/willpower and magic from crystals to summon an armor around themselves, thus making themselves the core of an eikon.). Since it looks like the main protagonist, Joshua, turned into Ifrit/Behemoth, I'm guessing it's straight up borrowing the summon mechanics from FFXIV, so people can summon themselves into an Eikon. Being able to stomp around as summon would be great. I hope there are different eikon/summons you can transform into.

FF14 fans can be a strange bunch on the best of days, but this announcement after Yoshi-P says he wasn't going to be working on this should provide for quality forum entertainment.

YoshiP is behind it, I'm pretty much already sold. Digging the darker medieval theming to it.

Only thing that doesn't excite me are the two fuckbois who appear to be the leads or pro/antagonist or whatever. Hoping there's a bigger cast for your party or you can change characters or something, both looked very "Boring McPrettyboy Blandface". It's a FF staple to have at least one dude like that, but I'd hope there's a bit more.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Interesting they use the term "eikon". That is explicitly a FFXIV term. In FFXIV, Eikons are summons born of faith/prayers/willpower, given form by the magical power of crystals/aether. Eikons can be summons that operate on their own, or a person can summon themselves into an Eikon and directly control it (or, rather, use people's faith/desires/willpower and magic from crystals to summon an armor around themselves, thus making themselves the core of an eikon.). Since it looks like the main protagonist, Joshua, turned into Ifrit/Behemoth, I'm guessing it's straight up borrowing the summon mechanics from FFXIV, so people can summon themselves into an Eikon. Being able to stomp around as summon would be great. I hope there are different eikon/summons you can transform into.
    Isn't this like in FF10, where people can turn into an Aeon via sacrifice? That's what it reminds me of. But that's a one-way trip

Haven't really played much of 14 sorry.

Also one summon who I'd really love to see again in this game? Anima

(Though she was solely created for 10, and kind of seems to only appear in spin-offs)
    Last edited by LemonDemonGirl; 2020-09-16 at 09:06 PM.
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

I get the feeling storywise we are getting something like Tactics meets Type Zero which bland gameplay aside had a pretty interest world and story. I just hope what we see of combat is more character action meets rpg than 15's absolutely abysmal "hold x to auto attack, square to auto dodge, your one spell is a grenade you change the element of and summons only exist as a mechanic to end fights that take you too long so most players rarely see them at all" trash. I'll take a refined FF7R style as long as they fix the shitty deal of flying enemies when you lack a ranged party member.

Still its interesting that we get a mainline FF game once every 7 years for the last 14 years. Remember when it was every 12 months in the 90's?

Still Yoshi has absolutely earned some trust after A Realm Reborn that he won't phone it in so i'm more confident in this than whatever the fuck nomura does with part 2 of the 7 remake.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Isn't this like in FF10, where people can turn into an Aeon via sacrifice? That's what it reminds me of

Haven't really played much of 14 sorry
    Yeah, a similar comparison would be the Zanarkland summoner Yu Yevon summoning himself into Sin and controlling it.

A summoner's companions being reincarnated as aeons isn't really the same thing, as the aeons are controlled by a summoner, and it's a one way transformation. Whereas Yu Yevon and people in FFXIV who summon themselves into Eikons can also revert back, and they are also in control of their own actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    Isn't this like in FF10, where people can turn into an Aeon via sacrifice? That's what it reminds me of

Haven't really played much of 14 sorry
    In 14 its a warped form of 'creation magic' that drains an area of aether which makes it a barren land if done enough and either makes the idea of a summon take form or in some cases a person makes themself the core and it changes their body and gives them the abilities of the idea. But each time its a brand new entity, Titan has shown up more than once and had no memory of the warrior of light and even changed personlity based on who summoned him. I imagine the idea of a kid with the ability to summon a primal when in extreme emotional distress in a medieval setting is a really fucking bad idea

10+ Year Old Account
    This might be the first Final Fantasy I play since Final Fantasy 1 on the NES :P

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    This might be the first Final Fantasy I play since Final Fantasy 1 on the NES :P
    I'd recommend playing
    • IV (original or the 3D remake)
    • VII (original, if you like it and want more FFVII, play the remake. I'd advise against playing the remake first)
    • IX
    • X
    • XII
    • XIV (has the best singleplayer story of any FF, IMO)

10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck this looks so good, I'm sold AF. I hope it won't be delayed too much on PC, I need it in my life.

YoshiP plus the guy handling the combat systems was the one from DMC5. Solid pedigree.

Not playing FF6 is a crime.

- - - Updated - - -

LOL.

You could replace the Warrior of Light with a turnip and it'd be the same. It's a fun story but, lol.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2020-09-16 at 09:14 PM.

Dude 6 is one of the best rpgs ever made, up there with Morrowind and the like and totally worth tracking down.

Hype, back to high fantasy.

Hm... it seems like you might be able to play as two different eikons (one per both protagonists): Phoenix, and Ifrit/Behemoth. Obviously Ifrit/Behemoth is the younger brother's, Joshua's, eikon, but Phoenix might be the older brother's. Or, it might just be the antagonist's eikon, as the Phoenix seems to be presented antagonistically towards Joshua/Ifrit? (correction: Joshua's is the Dominant of Phoenix, and the older protagonist, Shield, appears to use Phoenix powers, so he might be linked to Joshua. So Ifrit seems to be unrelated and more than likely the antagonist? Or a third protagonist who has yet to be formally revealed?) They're both featured on box art. Also interesting how both of the main eikons are fire aspected.

Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-09-16 at 09:31 PM.

Is it just me, or does the main character look like he was pulled from FF15? a game, that was pretty universally hated.... Why do they do this..

I don't even know if this will be any good, it looks so meh. ugh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend playing
    • IV (original or the 3D remake)
    • VII (original, if you like it and want more FFVII, play the remake. I'd advise against playing the remake first)
    • IX
    • X
    • XII
    I have tried, believe me, a lot of the final fantasy games come off as very not for me. Just out of all the ones I have seen this one looks very different. It looks like Dragon Age with some FF elements. Less high fantasy more traditional based fantasy. :P

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Dude 6 is one of the best rpgs ever made, up there with Morrowind and the like and totally worth tracking down.
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Not playing FF6 is a crime.

I tried, I got bored and I traded it in, I have never got into the premise of the FF games. I never even finished the first one. I always considered the entire franchise very over rated. Or I just never got it. lol

I know not liking FF6 or FF7 is a 'hand in my gamer card' moment, but I am sorry just never could get into them.

With that said, I dont think they are bad games. I understand why people love them, they have just never been for me.

Even though I am excited for this one there is the potential that I could hate this too, we'll see xD
    Last edited by Orby; 2020-09-16 at 09:29 PM.

Agreed on this 100% shadowbringers expansion was the best story I have played through in a long time.

I'm excited for xvi even more with yoshi-p involved. Really hope the story team for shadowbringers is working on it.

Hm... it seems like you might be able to play as two different eikons (one per both protagonists): Phoenix, and Ifrit/Behemoth. Obviously Ifrit/Behemoth is the younger brother's, Joshua's, eikon, but Phoenix might be the older brother's. Or, it might just be the antagonist's eikon, as the Phoenix seems to be presented antagonistically towards Joshua/Ifrit? (correction: Joshua's is the Dominant of Phoenix, and the older protagonist, Shield, appears to use Phoenix powers, so he might be linked to Joshua. So Ifrit seems to be unrelated and more than likely the antagonist? Or a third protagonist who has yet to be formally revealed?) They're both featured on box art. Also interesting how both of the main eikons are fire aspected.
    I get a lot of Type Zero vibes and in that game they brought back the L'Cie idea but also tied it into basically voluntarily tempering themselves to summon a primals power. I could see a more western fantasy inspired thing bring back that kind of 'lets make a contract' idea.

Hey maybe Feo Ul/Titania will show up to screech at us again?

Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Is it just me, or does the main character look like he was pulled from FF15? a game, that was pretty universally hated.... Why do they do this..

I don't even know if this will be any good, it looks so meh. ugh.
    You do know that FFXV was universally liked?

So i rewatched the trailer and it looks like a summon is bound to a single person called a dominant whos like a type zero l'cie but lends some power out to their bodyguard like a Kingsglaive. You can see the MC fighting and use a pheonix wing to parry and titan fist to riposte. I imagine we are looking at a "empires using people unlucky to become a dominant as weapons wether they want it or not and the bodyguards have enough" story like FFX meets game of thrones.