Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Since it looks like the main protagonist, Joshua, turned into Ifrit/Behemoth, I'm guessing it's straight up borrowing the summon mechanics from FFXIV, so people can summon themselves into an Eikon. Being able to stomp around as summon would be great. I hope there are different eikon/summons you can transform into.
    Seems they're borrowing the term "Mother Crystal" as well as I can't recall its use outside of Eorzea.

I think Joshua was the name of the small blonde boy, and the protagonist is his "shield". I think the boy turned into Phoenix and someone else (possibly the protagonist) turned into Ifrit as the man who is on the ground says "Another fire eikon? Impossible". So I'm guessing there's usually one elemental eikon per crystal (Titan for Earth, Shiva for Ice etc) and then two fire eikons appear which shouldn't be able to happen. The iconography of the title seems to indicate a fight between Ifrit and Phoenix, which makes me think that maybe it wasn't the protagonist that turned into Ifrit. And there are two people shown at the end, the "shield" of Joshua and the man with the marked face. It also looked like two different protagonists fighting in some of the scenes.

I'm wondering if this story is told from two different perspectives.

Much hype for me since this is being produced by Yoshi P and not Nomura. I'm ready for a narrative style change and Yoshi knows his lore and can guide a great story. FF14 for all its game play quirks is one of the best RPG stories out there.

I'd recommend playing
    • IV (original or the 3D remake)
    • VII (original, if you like it and want more FFVII, play the remake. I'd advise against playing the remake first)
    • IX
    • X
    • XII
    • XIV (has the best singleplayer story of any FF, IMO)
    Not ff6? How come?

Quote Originally Posted by Verzen View Post
    Not ff6? How come?
    FFVI suffers from a lack of focus. The narrative is divided among too many different characters competing for plot focus. The game's momentum grinds to halt once you reach the second half of the game, as you scour the world for party members (good luck trying to do that without a walkthrough). Plot doesn't pick up again until you decide to head to the final dungeon. It feels more like a collection of subplots that the game keeps awkwardly bouncing between rather than a unified, coherent story.

FFVI was relatively amazing compared to everything else at the time it came out, but IMO it has not aged well and certainly doesn't hold up today. Contrast FFVI to FFIV, which also has a ton of characters but has a very focused story all the way through from beginning to end. FFIV is about the story of Cecil Harvey's redemption, whereas FFVI... I don't really know what FFVI is about. People have extrapolated the "theme" of the story to be about broken people in a broken world, but IMO it's just not very compelling or coherent. I'd recommend nearly any other FF over VI, except I-III.

I'll give them some credit and the game not being some futuristic Japanese anime type bullshit aesthetic they seemed to keep wanting to do.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

FFVI suffers from a lack of focus. The narrative is divided among too many different characters competing for plot focus. The game's momentum grinds to halt once you reach the second half of the game, as you scour the world for party members (good luck trying to do that without a walkthrough). Plot doesn't pick up again until you decide to head to the final dungeon. It feels more like a collection of subplots that the game keeps awkwardly bouncing between rather than a unified, coherent story.

FFVI was relatively amazing compared to everything else at the time it came out, but IMO it has not aged well and certainly doesn't hold up today. Contrast FFVI to FFIV, which also has a ton of characters but has a very focused story all the way through from beginning to end. FFIV is about the story of Cecil Harvey's redemption, whereas FFVI... I don't really know what FFVI is about. People have extrapolated the "theme" of the story to be about broken people in a broken world, but IMO it's just not very compelling or coherent. I'd recommend nearly any other FF over VI, except I-III.
    This is what watching dubs does to your brain.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know, man. It looks incredibly generic. Witcher/Dark Souls style combat, seemingly you only play as a single character, edgelord grimdark aesthetic.

I WANT it to be good, I've not really enjoyed a FF game in freakin decades.

There's still a chance that they're using the VIIR combat, which at least pretends to be turn based, but from what we saw there it looks like a very generic action RPG... which isn't my thing AT ALL.

Although I have to say, the idea of turning into a summon and stomping around to wreck stuff does sound SUPER fun.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I don't know, man. It looks incredibly generic. Witcher/Dark Souls style combat, seemingly you only play as a single character, edgelord grimdark aesthetic.

I WANT it to be good, I've not really enjoyed a FF game in freakin decades.

There's still a chance that they're using the VIIR combat, which at least pretends to be turn based, but from what we saw there it looks like a very generic action RPG... which isn't my thing AT ALL.

Although I have to say, the idea of turning into a summon and stomping around to wreck stuff does sound SUPER fun.
    Combat is being designed by the DMC5 guy so it should be better than VIIR.

You can't sell turned based combat to zoomers so don't expect it to come back in this series.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2020-09-16 at 10:52 PM.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Some guy getting his head chopped off and a kid being sprayed with blood in the process. That's a first for Final Fantasy at least.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Combat is being designed by the DMC5 guy so it should be better than VIIR.
    Ryota Suzuki also designed the combat for Dragon's Dogma, which had some really cool ideas.
    • You could climb up ogres and try to stab them in the head
    • You can light yourself on fire and set a harpy on fire when said harpy tries to pick you up
    • You can pick up monsters and throw them off a cliff.
    • You can coordinate with your party members. You can jump off of the shield of a party member to grab onto a flying enemy, or hold enemies in place while your comrade deals the killing blow.

So far it seems like FFXVI doesn't have you fight alongside other party members, just yourself, so there might not be any coordinating with other NPCs during battle. But this is the announcement trailer, so they might slowly announce more party members later on.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Some guy getting his head chopped off and a kid being sprayed with blood in the process. That's a first for Final Fantasy at least.
    FFXIV had the first decapitation/bisection, but this is the first time a mainline FF game has been so gorey.

Ryota Suzuki also designed the combat for Dragon's Dogma, which had some really cool ideas.
    • You could climb up ogres and try to stab them in the head
    • You can light yourself on fire and set a harpy on fire when said harpy tries to pick you up
    • You can pick up monsters and throw them off a cliff.
    • You can coordinate with your party members. You can jump off of the shield of a party member to grab onto a flying enemy, or hold enemies in place while your comrade deals the killing blow.

So far it seems like FFXVI doesn't have you fight alongside other party members, just yourself, so there might not be any coordinating with other NPCs during battle. But this is the announcement trailer, so they might slowly announce more party members later on.
    The action combat + party members was a drag in 15 so I'm hoping if this is the route from here on out the party is dropped.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account

FFXIV had the first decapitation/bisection, but this is the first time a mainline FF game has been so gorey.

Yeah my knowledge of the MMO is quite limited, though I'd argue that scene is quite mild compared to what they showed in the XVI trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I don't know, man. It looks incredibly generic. Witcher/Dark Souls style combat,
    This is the Devil May Cry V combat director. The trailer includes a parry, riposte, air hike, juggle, dodge and air dodge. I'd rather see turn based come back but theres no way its going to be the garbage of witcher 3 combat or dark souls's weighty timing fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindon View Post
    You do know that FFXV was universally liked?
    Sorry friend, it was not. And sales numbers prove that, emphatically. Not only do they prove its one of the lowest-grossing FF of all time in terms of sales numbers, but even most reviews were also very lukewarm. In terms of production and cost, it was almost a loss. So no, it wasn't. It isn't even top 10 in terms of other FF in relation to sales or reception.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by agentsi View Post
    Is it just me, or does the main character look like he was pulled from FF15? a game, that was pretty universally hated.... Why do they do this..

I don't even know if this will be any good, it looks so meh. ugh.
    I think you're confusing 13 with 15.

Looks tight I'm always down for a revenge plot and I want to be a phoenix.

Sorry friend, it was not. And sales numbers prove that, emphatically. Not only do they prove its one of the lowest-grossing FF of all time in terms of sales numbers, but even most reviews were also very lukewarm. In terms of production and cost, it was almost a loss. So no, it wasn't. It isn't even top 10 in terms of other FF in relation to sales or reception.
    It wasn't that bad tho, people are wary of squenix now since 13. 15 has great voice acting and an ok story, I'm never gonna like their action combat in the newer games so to me its shit in every one since 12 but other than that I think it was the best FF since 12, but that isn't saying much.

Eh it doesn't really hype me. It doesn't actually look that good considering it's PS5, everything looks a little too... render-y? The aesthetic isn't FF enough for me either, a bit too plain with the buildings etc. And the MC looks like yet another Uniqlo model like they did in XV which I really do not like.

It's got some good names behind it and the XII vibes are real, but I'll have to see if I'll take the plunge again after getting burned so badly by the XIII abominations and the travesty that was XV. I guess I'll have to ponder my purchase while I wait for it on PC anyway.

Like all modern single-player games, it looks like a shitty version of a movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazuli View Post
    I think you're confusing 13 with 15.

Looks tight I'm always down for a revenge plot and I want to be a phoenix.

It wasn't that bad tho, people are wary of squenix now since 13. 15 has great voice acting and an ok story, I'm never gonna like their action combat in the newer games so to me its shit in every one since 12 but other than that I think it was the best FF since 12, but that isn't saying much.
    FF13 has sold more copies than FF15 when considering additional games and DLCs for both. So sorry, but I am not.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming...fantasy-games/

One of many, MANY websites putting FF15 at or near the bottom for games in the series.

I'm intrigued and cautiously optimistic. Hopefully it handles the political/war themes better than XIV. I'm getting strong vibes of both FFXII and Vagrant Story which are two of my favourite JRPG's to this day.

"Final Fantasy XV has received "generally favorable" reviews from critics for all versions, according to review aggregator Metacritic. Japanese gaming magazine Famitsu gave both versions of the game a score of 38 points out of 40."

"Within the first twenty-four hours, Square Enix reported that Final Fantasy XV had shipped five million units worldwide in both physical shipments and digital sales—a figure which allowed the game to "break even" on development costs. This gave Final Fantasy XV the biggest launch in the franchise to date, the most first day digital sales in Japan for a game up to that point, and set records for physical shipments and downloads in mainland Asia. Commenting on the large numbers, Tabata revealed that the strong sales saved the Final Fantasy franchise as a whole, which had seen declining commercial success in recent years."

Very positive reviews on Steam.
    85/100; 8,0/10 on Metacritic (PC)
    81/100; 7,6/10 on Metacritic (PS4)

Talking out of your ass much?
    Last edited by Lindon; 2020-09-16 at 11:27 PM.

It seems they went from emo band (FFXV) to actual dark fantasy. Aren’t they a few years late to the show?
    Last edited by Ashleyxoxo; 2020-09-16 at 11:32 PM.