Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    How can you tell?

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on the implementation of the turn based combat. Some systems are boring, others are really engaging and a ton of fun.
    Because the music in the trailers was really good and he's close friends with yoship

The music in the Endwalker launch trailer was good and most people just praised Soken, but it was actually by Yoshitaka Suzuki. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Thats not really a compelling argument.
    Neither was your magnum opus: "Nah, turn based combat isn't as engaging."

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Well FF moved away from turn based combat 31 years ago with FFIV. Went back to it for a one off with FFX but yea.

Still boggles my mind that people act like ATB and turn based are the same thing. Like do you unironically play FFIX and FFX back to back and think the combat systems are even remotely similar outside of having a freaking combat menu?

Anyways Atlus releases a game yearly at this point, Falcom releases a game yearly that 2/3 times is turn based, square releases plenty of lower budget turn based games, Dragon Quest still exists and is turn based. If you want actual turn based games they exist, no need to cry about it in a clearly not turn based game thread.
    Oh no, Tech didn’t like my opinion.

Anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adp View Post
    Neither was your magnum opus: "Nah, turn based combat isn't as engaging."
    Its not even that big of a statement and I'm just saying me saying "Engaging" is different then someone whining about people with attention deficit disorder.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Soken is confirmed to be the composer on the official site: https://na.finalfantasyxvi.com/

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    Oh no, Tech didn’t like my opinion.

Anyway.
    It's not an opinion if something is turn based or not.

Anyway.

The concept art made it seem like there was some sort of glass/crystal/magical wall behind the town, but ingame it just seems like a rock formation?

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The concept art made it seem like there was some sort of glass/crystal/magical wall behind the town, but ingame it just seems like a rock formation?

I can see the "magical" aspect in the concept art at a glance, but honestly it looks more like the artists interpretation of fog mixing in with nearby clouds (not present in the screenshot). It's actually impressive how similar the in-game image is to the concept art. Usually there are more changes between concept art and execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    The fact that it seems like there's no party is very disappointing. I dunno, I think the story could be interesting, but I'm not sure if I wanna play Devil May Cry with a Final Fantasy skin.
    Thats the vibes I got. Devil May Cry. with the Aerial combat and rope slinging.

Just give me a new FF9 /cry

This just doesn't feel like FF anymore.

In fact the last (single player) FF that actually felt like an FF was probably FFXII.

The action combat numbers spam BS from XIII onward just feels wrong.

I guess they're more interested in capturing all the console bro gamers than they are making a compelling RPG. Everything's a spectacle, everything is boom boom bam zap zap, you barely even know what's going on or what you're doing. It's a stroboscopic lightshow for effect not for substance.

And the dialogue... ugh. Come ON.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Thats the vibes I got. Devil May Cry. with the Aerial combat and rope slinging.

Just give me a new FF9 /cry
    With the combat designer of DMC 5 working on the game. I can't imagine why that would be

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    This just doesn't feel like FF anymore.
    Yeah, it doesn't feel like Final Fantasy. It feels like a retread of The Last Remnant. Same aesthetics. Same UI. Same plot of nations built around extremely powerful Remnants/Eikons, and an usurper of that balance of power who comes out of nowhere, who is an agent of the gods and intends to eliminate all Remnants/Eikons. The blonde emperor guy is even just Duke Hermeien but with the serial numbers filed off. He'll probably have his face turned into red pulp too. Only major differences thus far is that Tsuyoshi Sekito's rad powermetal soundtrack has been replaced by a generic orchestrated soundtrack, and instead of cool army gameplay or turn based combat, it seems you will instead get action combat controlling just one guy.

In fact the last (single player) FF that actually felt like an FF was probably FFXII.
    Eh, I'd say that the feeling of FF disappeared long before XII. FF had an openness and a spirit of adventure. Exploration. Starting with 6 and 7, FF started leaning towards becoming very story heavy, but there was still an openness to the games. By 9, that openness was gone, and the series had become linear moviegames where you just walk down to the corridor to the next 30 minute long cutscene and maybe get a 30 second fight in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Thestrawman View Post
    With the combat designer of DMC 5 working on the game. I can't imagine why that would be
    Oh well if that is true and its the DMC 5 combat designer that would explain it!

Why is that hard to imagine? Or were you just being sarcastic as if people should know every developer working for a giant company.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Or were you just being sarcastic
    No they weren't, they thought all the unshaven ikemen in coats doing aerial combos had absolutely nothing to do with DMC, and were pure coincidence.

And if you ask me if THAT was sarcasm, we have a serious problem on our hands.

The thing I don't understand is.. why not just make FF games still be like FF games (no I don't mean just keep FF1 style game and never evolve but keep it within the same vain) and then just make a new game that is exactly what they are making now? Seems like you could have 2 bangers and both keep the traditional folks happy and then also make the action RPG types happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    The thing I don't understand is.. why not just make FF games still be like FF games (no I don't mean just keep FF1 style game and never evolve but keep it within the same vain) and then just make a new game that is exactly what they are making now? Seems like you could have 2 bangers and both keep the traditional folks happy and then also make the action RPG types happy.
    Because this is what Final Fantasy has always done. They never just do what works they always try to do something new. Sometimes that results in something like FF7 and sometimes you end up with FF8, that's just how it's always been. We'll just have to wait and see how this one turns out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guys, ff hasnt been turned based since 2001. You might need to get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Close but 1991 would be my estimation with Final Fantasy 4. With the exception of FFX of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Kingdom hearts and devil may cry spammable flashy combat is soul less.

I get why they do it because its hard to even imagine trying to build up hype for a game now in the modern market with action menu's instead of a 200m titan destroying a city with an anime protagnist flying around him using variation of teleport strike number 10532 but damn is that boring.

Why would I play this kind of game when from software would do it 10x better and with final fantasy they could actually do something different.
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2022-06-03 at 07:34 AM.