The 2010s deserved an 9/10 cinematic space adventure game

Who else shares that sentiment?

Imagine living in a world where there was a spaceship captain video game in 2015 or 2016 that was receiving acclaimed reviews from all the major gaming review sites and CoD and Madden Dudebro gamers were excited to play it.

Do those type of gamers even exist anymore?

I used to play nothing but CoD but then a friend begged me to pick up a cheap copy of Mass Effect 1 and I have enjoyed narrative themed games ever since.

Valiant Hearts: The Great War and To The Moon are experiences I will never forget!

Perhaps that timeline would have required a Bioware that was more like 2000s Bioware than mid 2010s-now Bioware.

Starfield is a little better than Andromeda but it would be nice to see a 9/10 cinematic narrative space game.

Perhaps Bioware should get James S.A. Corey or even John Scalzi to write ME5.

https://screenrant.com/expanse-write...ding-terrible/

Back in late 2016 there was this Camilla Cabello and Machine Gun Kelly song, "Bad Things" playing on the radio a lot.

Bioware missed a marketing opportunity not making a trailer involving romantic sciences from MEA to that song.

Bioware did something like that before. The "Wonderful World" trailer for Dragon Age Inquisition.

I am surprised Dragon Age Inquisition had a better marketing campaign than Mass Effect Andromeda considering the shooter and action gamer crowds are bigger than the fantasy RPG crowds.
    Last edited by CmdrShep2154; 2023-09-05 at 08:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean, we got Star Citiz.... No wait scratch that, they aren't making it anymore.

I suspect the Mass Effect trilogy will forever remain the high watermark for the genre. As a sci-fi fan in general I may be biased, but in my opinion the implementation of the Mass Effect universe, with its grand themes, compelling characters and masterful world building constitutes the most epic and immersive video game experience I've ever had.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I suspect the Mass Effect trilogy will forever remain the high watermark for the genre. As a sci-fi fan in general I may be biased, but in my opinion the implementation of the Mass Effect universe, with its grand themes, compelling characters and masterful world building constitutes the most epic and immersive video game experience I've ever had.
    That's my confusing thought from the OP - "the 2010s did have 9/10 scifi-genre games" they were the Mass Effects? Three of them! ME1 came out in 2011...so...yeah..

Maybe he means "ANOTHER 9/10 space RPG game?" And if so, wtf.. this is 2023...don't the 2020s deserve a 9/10 space-rpg game? Why we talking about last decade?

I just don't trust Bioware to do it. At all. With anything anymore.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

The commitment to this gimmick continues to amuse. The sheer number of ways the OP manages to come up with a new space-related media topic makes me giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    That's my confusing thought from the OP - "the 2010s did have 9/10 scifi-genre games" they were the Mass Effects? Three of them! ME1 came out in 2011...so...yeah..
    Me1 came out in 2007. Me2 came out 2010, and Me3 came out 2012.

Honestly the industry as a whole kind of went into the shitter in the 2010's. Lots of sequals and things designed to be more store than game.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The commitment to this gimmick continues to amuse. The sheer number of ways the OP manages to come up with a new space-related media topic makes me giggle.
    Omg I cheked and its true. And most are as weird as this one, making little sense. Is he a bot or something?

I never understood the glorification of Mass Effect. The combat wasn't fun. Aside from Wrex and Garrus, most of the characters were unlikeable, including the romantic interests. The writing was also shakey. I didn't really know why Ashley, Tali, and Liara are tagging along. They didn't really have a personal stake in my mission and weren't really close friends with us. Lots of huge leaps in logic, antagonists to the player act cartoonishly, dialogue is stilted at times, the story can't decide if being a Spectre means being revered like a Jedi Knight or being super secret and treated with suspicion like Section 31, etc. You have that scene early on when the Citadel Council disbelieve any accusations against their favorite agent, Saren, and then Shepherd plays a soundbite and they immediately oust Saren and replace him with Shepherd without analyzing the soundbite to see if it was doctored or launching an investigation. Feels like people saw the filmic presentation of the cutscenes and equated that with good story.

I didn't find the ME setting to be very interesting. The Citadel and the Council don't feel like alien societies and organizations. They feel like the modern US but in space. The Citadel has human style bars and clubs... that have been operated by aliens for decades long before humanity was admitted. The cities on the Citadel are organized like human cities. The council uses modern 21st century American logic that worships laws and constitutions and is skeptical of esoterism. Nothing about the Citadel or the Council feels like it an alliance of non-human races at all.

Music was forgettable.

Ia ME2 NOT a 9/10 Cinematic Space Adventure game, CMDRShep?

I'm so confused. Is OP a Rogue AI?

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Ia ME2 NOT a 9/10 Cinematic Space Adventure game, CMDRShep?
    Careful, it might implode

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    *snip*
    Mass Effect trilogy was great because it married the visuals and RPG focus in a single game with appealing futuristic setting with a very good worldbuilding. And unlike Starfield - it also had an actual story worth a damn, funnily enough with a similar MacGuffin, as Starfield did now. Except in case of Mass Effect the story it started did not suck balls and the world was actually much more interesting with alien species and mysterious Citadel and "Mass Effect".

If you'd release Mass Effect now with Starfield's graphics (which really are nothing to write home about in 2023) and a bit more modern systems, it probably would have been a 8/10 game. Because right now we're "spoiled" with many years of great games.

But back then, when we just barely started getting titles with decent visuals and the gaming landscape was still somewhat unexplored - it was a 9/10 for novelty and overall package.

Heck, lets be real - Mass Effect is simply a better game than Starfield, so if Starfield is a 7/10, there is no way in hell Mass Effect would be any less.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myradin View Post
    Me1 came out in 2007. Me2 came out 2010, and Me3 came out 2012.

Honestly the industry as a whole kind of went into the shitter in the 2010's. Lots of sequals and things designed to be more store than game.
    So wierd, I'm playing the "Legendary Remastered Edition" of ME 1-3 right now and when I look at ME1 copyright on the game screen it says "2011"! =D that's why I thought it was 2011.

And speaking of that- to echo some recent posts here.

I just played ME1 for the first time, ever, and finished it last week. No, re-rereleased NOW even with updated graphics (cuz I had those mods lol), its at best, a 5-6/10 RPG. I struggled to understand why this made such a big splash when it was released - dating it around the same time as Morrowind and before Skyrim - the games aren't even close in 'comparison', as far as breath of RPG content as a whole, and quality of quests, IMO.

The main storyline is fine, but the rest of the writing "ain't all that." The Companion quests are *minimal*, and most don't even have one (I had 2 out of 6 companions have a side quest because somehow, despite 100% the planets in the game, I never stumbled upon the item that 'unlocks' the Tali side quest, if it can be called that). The companion themselves are pretty bland and boring with very little interaction, including the romance (though to me that's more 'standard companion quality' - not bad, but not great either.)

The vast majority of "side quests" consist of the same gameplay loop on 'random planet' where you land your impossible to control vehicle (ain't fucking kidding), to traverse (frustratingly) random points in an empty wasteland of rocks (either icy, sandy, or green colors for climate of planet, but the rest the same) in order to either mine resources/collect collections (or skip that of course) and get to the actual 'quest location', kill some baddies and go back to your ship. Very grindy, quite boring. Every 'building" location on these planets its one of the SAME THREE layouts - with NO variation. Same rooms, same walls, same decor - on EVERY planet sidequest.

Quite honestly, Starfield sounds better because at least you DO NOT have all the side quests sending you to gather on the bland "boring" space planets. IN ME they made it a feature, but it was a boring one and not one I enjoyed, at all, after the 3rd planet. I'd rather Starfields, "You can visit these but no FOMO on quests if you don't."

The combat was meh - certainly not what the game was built for. The inventory management of 7 characters was TOO MUCH - I spent more time in the inventory screen over my 50+ hours the I did adventuring, I'm sure of it. Just to try and keep all characters 2 main weapons and armor "on par" when I'd take them out. I tried to use at least all the companions once or twice just to get the experience, but the inventory management was definitely a negative headache here. And this is coming from someone who cut her PC teeth on Wizardry and Daggerfall, so normally inventory management is something I enjoy and expect as part of my RPGs - but ME managed to make it more painful.

I did enjoy the universe. I liked all the aliens "just fine". I did enjoy and appreciate the fact that yes, ME1 has "impact" to some of its decisions and those decisions (at least on the surface) translate and can effect little things in ME2 and onwards. (Though I know the history and how that 'impact' didn't pan out in the trilogy' conclusion). And I DID complete the game, so I obviously had enough fun with it that I didn't quit - but at the same time, I'm still left going "that's it? And how was this the best game ever even in 2006?" (Full disclaimer: Possibly the main reason I finished was having ME2 anyway and wanting the game to pick up with my Me1 Shepard and move forward into ME2. If this was original release with no sequel waiting on the hard drive, I don't know that I ever would have bothered finishing it.)

That was my takeaway from ME1 anyway. That ultimately, mechanically, it was more frustrating to play and felt more like a 'grind' than anything I'd played by Bethseba up until then. The fact that 100% everything STILL had me spending less than 60 hours in the game says /tons/ about it to me - because I'm a slow playing casual who takes forever to do everything (I'm sitting at 200 hours of skyrim and I've not even started the DLCs, almost 200 hours in witcher to complete everything) and it ONLY took me under 60 hours to do it all in ME1. To me, ME1 far more on rails than "Open world RPG" and that was a disappointment only because I was expecting more "bethseba open world" space RPG.

I'm 30 hours into ME2 and the experience is much better. They definitely learned lessons on this sequal - and just the fact that I'm not having to drive that @*$)@ planet-space vehicle around boring/bland repetitive planets to kill 8 enemies in the same 3-room setup has increased my enjoyment of the gameplay immensly. As much as I'd rather have tons of weapons and armor to play around with, if Mass Effect is going to make inventory management a pain, I'm actually more appreciating the fact that in ME2 the gear is more limited and your ability to "manage inventory" is also more limited - making it all faster to engage with in game and get back to the gameplay itself. ME2 is definitely still "on rails", but I love that ALL the companions have a complete, flushed, companion quests and side stories instead of just more "fetch/kill" side quests with no meat on them. Yeah, I know ME2 has those too, but in 30 hours I've not even had TIME to start on 'random side quests' because of all the companions and their quests. And that's a good thing.

Remains to be seen how I'll feel at the end of this. And then on to ME3. All for the first time. (Because I'm not as into Space games as I am other RPGS so I never got around to playing these back in the day.)

And as much as I'm reading everything about Starfield, its positives and negatives (and I certainly agree with some of those negatives even without playing it yet), no way I'd agree that ME1 would rank better, released now. Their "space exploration" is also ONLY Loading Screens. Their myriad of planets are also randomly generated empty nothings (literally, no fauna, just colored rocks and mountains) that are beyond frustrating to move around (due to the poor drive mechanics on provided vehicle) with the *exact* same 2-3 models of "enemy base" building on every one. There is only ONE populated City, Citadel, to visit and walk around in. Enjoyment of storylines and quests is very subjective so I won't even attempt to compare those here (also haven't played starfield anyway) - so I just listed what I know are their 'negative similarities'. I will say ME1 has a functional map system in its favor =D. (Yeah that's a sad, sad statement, I agree.)

P.s. ME2 - all space travel - also all loading screens.
    Last edited by Koriani; 2023-09-06 at 06:09 PM.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by koriani View Post
    so wierd, i'm playing the "legendary remastered edition" of me 1-3 right now and when i look at me1 copyright on the game screen it says "2011"! =d that's why i thought it was 2011.

And speaking of that- to echo some recent posts here.

I just played me1 for the first time, ever, and finished it last week. No, re-rereleased now even with updated graphics (cuz i had those mods lol), its at best, a 5-6/10 rpg. I struggled to understand why this made such a big splash when it was released - dating it around the same time as morrowind and before skyrim - the games aren't even close in 'comparison', as far as breath of rpg content as a whole, and quality of quests, imo.

The main storyline is fine, but the rest of the writing "ain't all that." the companion quests are *minimal*, and most don't even have one (i had 2 out of 6 companions have a side quest because somehow, despite 100% the planets in the game, i never stumbled upon the item that 'unlocks' the tali side quest, if it can be called that). The companion themselves are pretty bland and boring with very little interaction, including the romance (though to me that's more 'standard companion quality' - not bad, but not great either.)

the vast majority of "side quests" consist of the same gameplay loop on 'random planet' where you land your impossible to control vehicle (ain't fucking kidding), to traverse (frustratingly) random points in an empty wasteland of rocks (either icy, sandy, or green colors for climate of planet, but the rest the same) in order to either mine resources/collect collections (or skip that of course) and get to the actual 'quest location', kill some baddies and go back to your ship. Very grindy, quite boring. Every 'building" location on these planets its one of the same three layouts - with no variation. Same rooms, same walls, same decor - on every planet sidequest.

Quite honestly, starfield sounds better because at least you do not have all the side quests sending you to gather on the bland "boring" space planets. In me they made it a feature, but it was a boring one and not one i enjoyed, at all, after the 3rd planet. I'd rather starfields, "you can visit these but no fomo on quests if you don't."

the combat was meh - certainly not what the game was built for. The inventory management of 7 characters was too much - i spent more time in the inventory screen over my 50+ hours the i did adventuring, i'm sure of it. Just to try and keep all characters 2 main weapons and armor "on par" when i'd take them out. I tried to use at least all the companions once or twice just to get the experience, but the inventory management was definitely a negative headache here. And this is coming from someone who cut her pc teeth on wizardry and daggerfall, so normally inventory management is something i enjoy and expect as part of my rpgs - but me managed to make it more painful.

I did enjoy the universe. I liked all the aliens "just fine". I did enjoy and appreciate the fact that yes, me1 has "impact" to some of its decisions and those decisions (at least on the surface) translate and can effect little things in me2 and onwards. (though i know the history and how that 'impact' didn't pan out in the trilogy' conclusion). And i did complete the game, so i obviously had enough fun with it that i didn't quit - but at the same time, i'm still left going "that's it? And how was this the best game ever even in 2006?" (full disclaimer: Possibly the main reason i finished was having me2 anyway and wanting the game to pick up with my me1 shepard and move forward into me2. If this was original release with no sequel waiting on the hard drive, i don't know that i ever would have bothered finishing it.)

that was my takeaway from me1 anyway. That ultimately, mechanically, it was more frustrating to play and felt more like a 'grind' than anything i'd played by bethseba up until then. The fact that 100% everything still had me spending less than 60 hours in the game says /tons/ about it to me - because i'm a slow playing casual who takes forever to do everything (i'm sitting at 200 hours of skyrim and i've not even started the dlcs, almost 200 hours in witcher to complete everything) and it only took me under 60 hours to do it all in me1. To me, me1 far more on rails than "open world rpg" and that was a disappointment only because i was expecting more "bethseba open world" space rpg.

I'm 30 hours into me2 and the experience is much better. They definitely learned lessons on this sequal - and just the fact that i'm not having to drive that @*$)@ planet-space vehicle around boring/bland repetitive planets to kill 8 enemies in the same 3-room setup has increased my enjoyment of the gameplay immensly. As much as i'd rather have tons of weapons and armor to play around with, if mass effect is going to make inventory management a pain, i'm actually more appreciating the fact that in me2 the gear is more limited and your ability to "manage inventory" is also more limited - making it all faster to engage with in game and get back to the gameplay itself. Me2 is definitely still "on rails", but i love that all the companions have a complete, flushed, companion quests and side stories instead of just more "fetch/kill" side quests with no meat on them. Yeah, i know me2 has those too, but in 30 hours i've not even had time to start on 'random side quests' because of all the companions and their quests. And that's a good thing.

Remains to be seen how i'll feel at the end of this. And then on to me3. All for the first time. (because i'm not as into space games as i am other rpgs so i never got around to playing these back in the day.)

and as much as i'm reading everything about starfield, its positives and negatives (and i certainly agree with some of those negatives even without playing it yet), no way i'd agree that me1 would rank better, released now. Their "space exploration" is also only loading screens. Their myriad of planets are also randomly generated empty nothings (literally, no fauna, just colored rocks and mountains) that are beyond frustrating to move around (due to the poor drive mechanics on provided vehicle) with the *exact* same 2-3 models of "enemy base" building on every one. There is only one populated city, citadel, to visit and walk around in. Enjoyment of storylines and quests is very subjective so i won't even attempt to compare those here (also haven't played starfield anyway) - so i just listed what i know are their 'negative similarities'. I will say me1 has a functional map system in its favor =d. (yeah that's a sad, sad statement, i agree.)

p.s. Me2 - all space travel - also all loading screens.
    me2 > me3 > me1

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    So wierd, I'm playing the "Legendary Remastered Edition" of ME 1-3 right now and when I look at ME1 copyright on the game screen it says "2011"! =D that's why I thought it was 2011.
    Because that's when EA finally got the rights to ME1. Prior to that the game was owned by Microsoft. Which is how you got the weird scenario where ME2 was released on the PS3 before ME1 was.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Because that's when EA finally got the rights to ME1. Prior to that the game was owned by Microsoft. Which is how you got the weird scenario where ME2 was released on the PS3 before ME1 was.
    aha! That's why! Thanks for the explanation - lol. I had no idea. I mean maybe I did back in 2010/2011, but certainly forgot all that by 2023 XD.
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    I dunno man I loved me some FTL. through most of the early to mid 2010's I was replaying that alot :P

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I never understood the glorification of Mass Effect. The combat wasn't fun. Aside from Wrex and Garrus, most of the characters were unlikeable, including the romantic interests. The writing was also shakey. I didn't really know why Ashley, Tali, and Liara are tagging along. They didn't really have a personal stake in my mission and weren't really close friends with us. Lots of huge leaps in logic, antagonists to the player act cartoonishly, dialogue is stilted at times, the story can't decide if being a Spectre means being revered like a Jedi Knight or being super secret and treated with suspicion like Section 31, etc. You have that scene early on when the Citadel Council disbelieve any accusations against their favorite agent, Saren, and then Shepherd plays a soundbite and they immediately oust Saren and replace him with Shepherd without analyzing the soundbite to see if it was doctored or launching an investigation. Feels like people saw the filmic presentation of the cutscenes and equated that with good story.

I didn't find the ME setting to be very interesting. The Citadel and the Council don't feel like alien societies and organizations. They feel like the modern US but in space. The Citadel has human style bars and clubs... that have been operated by aliens for decades long before humanity was admitted. The cities on the Citadel are organized like human cities. The council uses modern 21st century American logic that worships laws and constitutions and is skeptical of esoterism. Nothing about the Citadel or the Council feels like it an alliance of non-human races at all.

Music was forgettable.
    My hot take: Dragon Age was a better franchise.... Better world building better characters... At least with Origins.Or that could be my bias as I am more of a Fantasy > Sci-Fi guy :P
    Last edited by Orby; 2023-09-10 at 12:16 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance