Page 3 of 48 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I'm not the one who tried to compare the travesty that is sequel Star Wars to a Harry Potter video game that is based in the same universe but has no connection to the books we are familiar with aside from the fact that Hogwarts is part of the game.
    Who said anything about the sequel series? The best parts of Star Wars are the video games, books, comics, and that sort of thing. Things Lucas had no part in.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Who said anything about the sequel series? The best parts of Star Wars are the video games, books, comics, and that sort of thing. Things Lucas had no part in.
    Sure he did. Some of the best games, were using his lore. Some of the best books weren't, however. But he still laid the framework, just like Rowling did. So long as the storytelling is good, if it's based in the same universe, of course it can be good.

Waaay back when, when the Harry Potter games were first coming out I lost my little mind to them but always wished for more. This has the potential to be what child me always wanted. I can only hope it delivers on it but I'm not going to hold my breath to long until more details come out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Man if i just get to hang out in diagon alley, fuckin hnnnnnnnnnngggggggggggggg

Now that it's confirmed that Rowling has no say in it it's ever more interesting. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Now that it's confirmed that Rowling has no say in it it's ever more interesting. :P
    I refuse to believe that she has no say in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    Yeah very good news indeed, she probably make money on it still though.
    Do you hear the voices too?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Piglord View Post
    Looks good

Hogwarts Legacy is an immersive, open-world action RPG set in the world first introduced in the Harry Potter books. Now you can take control of the action and be at the center of your own adventure in the wizarding world. Embark on a journey through familiar and new locations as you explore and discover fantastic beasts, customize your character and craft potions, master spell casting, upgrade talents, and become the wizard you want to be.

Experience Hogwarts in the 1800s. Your character is a student who holds the key to an ancient secret that threatens to tear the wizarding world apart. You have received a late acceptance to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and soon discover that you are no ordinary student: you possess an unusual ability to perceive and master Ancient Magic. Only you can decide if you will protect this secret for the good of all, or yield to the temptation of more sinister magic.

Discover the feeling of living at Hogwarts as you make allies, battle Dark wizards, and ultimately decide the fate of the wizarding world. Your legacy is what you make of it.
    Hard pass from me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Yeah very good news indeed, she probably make money on it still though.
    She does as she has 100% ownership of the IP.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Right, because the author of the book the game is based on is a bit of a bigot, that means screw the whole dev team, and all the fans who would get joy from continued support or a sequel.
    have you heard of royalties?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    have you heard of royalties?
    Yes. And you think that everyone who worked on this game and everyone who might enjoy it should suffer just to deny Rowling a paycheck?

The game I've been waiting for.. hopefully it's not that bad. If it gives you enough freedom I'm sure I'll enjoy it..

hopefully the music is soothing and "juvenile" like the first two games had.. they gave a sense of comfort sometimes and of mischief in others. hopefully it's not too action-focused, too.
    Last edited by guisadop; 2020-09-19 at 10:20 PM.
    ...that's just my opinion, anyway.

All of this cosmological stuff is too boring for me. I'd like to get Warcraft back, please. my thing is killing defias and orcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by guisadop View Post
    The game I've been waiting for.. hopefully it's not that bad. If it gives you enough freedom I'm sure I'll enjoy it..

hopefully the music is soothing and "juvenile" like the first two games had.. they gave a sense of comfort sometimes and of mischief in others. hopefully it's not too action-focused, too.
    Ditto. The whole charm about Harry Potter's world came from the fantastical sort of lives everyone lived, not the fighting. I'm hoping this plays closer to 'The Sims' than it does to 'God of War'.

Quote Originally Posted by t1saif View Post
    Main gameplay is button mash combat... talent system... crafting stat sticks... *snore*. Not quite what I envisoned being a wizard in a the wizarding world would be like.

Would be cool if the potion alchemy gameplay was engaging like Kingdom Come Deliverance's, but I doubt it will be.

I'm not into the bland aesthetic look of the game, though.

This is looking like Dragon Age but with a thin veneer of Harry Potter over it.

Well, I've said this before, but... they really should have explored one of those other wizarding schools. Not Hogwarts, which has been overexposed for two decades. It's not exciting anymore. A brand new location could bring a sense of genuine discovery, of excitement. Something fresh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Main gameplay is button mash combat... talent system... crafting stat sticks... *snore*. Not quite what I envisoned being a wizard in a the wizarding world would be like.
    Most people don't really give a fuck about the other schools and want to play a non-children's HP game with violence and action set in the universe that they know (ie: Hogwarts and the surrounding areas that appear in the books).

I would bet that what you're describing - talents, action combat with combos etc / equipment with stats - covered in a glossy Harry Potter veneer is exactly what most people who get excited about a HP game in the first place want to see.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Most people don't really give a fuck about the other schools and want to play a non-children's HP game with violence and action set in the universe that they know (ie: Hogwarts and the surrounding areas that appear in the books).

I would bet that what you're describing - talents, action combat with combos etc / equipment with stats - covered in a glossy Harry Potter veneer is exactly what most people who get excited about a HP game in the first place want to see.
    To me, making an HP game about going around and killing things is like all of those Star Trek games that were about blowing stuff up. Those game adaptations missed the point of the IP they were supposed to be adapting. Star Trek wasn't about blowing stuff up. It was about exploring worlds, interacting with aliens, analyzing anomalies, trying to use your toolkit to rig up a solution. And occasionally getting into a stand off and sometimes blowing something up. Except almost every Star Trek game omitted all of that and was just about blowing stuff up. Literally the one and only Star Trek game that vaguely felt like Star Trek - that had a significant amount of non-combat gameplay - was STO, and even then it was overly laden with combat. It's also like Lord of the Rings, which isn't a story about combat. In fact, very little page time is devoted to battles, and yet every game except LotRO was a murder simulator dressed up in a thin veneer of LotR.

When I think of Harry Potter, I don't think of zapping hundreds of mobs. I think about talking to ghosts, or trying to come up with a creative solution to a problem using a whacky toolkit of potions and magical artifacts, or solving puzzles, or riding strange creatures, and so on. And I guess maybe occasionally zapping someone. But this game feels like one of those hundreds of throwaway Star Trek or LotR games where it misses the point of the IP.

- - - Updated - - -

It feels like game design has hardly moved forward over the past 40 years. It feels like the gameplay loop of big budget games predominately revolves around combat and killing things. It feels like no one is trying to figure out how to create an engaging fantasy adventure where combat only happens some of the time and there is a lot of engaging gameplay outside of it.

7+ Year Old Account
    “nO cHaNgEs In FoRtY yEaRs”

Bad take 127.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

It feels like game design has hardly moved forward over the past 40 years. It feels like the gameplay loop of big budget games predominately revolves around combat and killing things. It feels like no one is trying to figure out how to create an engaging fantasy adventure where combat only happens some of the time and there is a lot of engaging gameplay outside of it.
    They're making games for the market. It's unfortunate, but that's what sells, and big budget games need to have a good chance to selling enough copies to earn their money back. You find more interesting experimental design in indies more often than not, no publisher is gonna green-light a 8-9 figure game as an "experiment".

Don't get me wrong, I agree, but even games that have tried it have struggled. It was bad otherwise, but TSW's investigation missions are still some of the coolest, most unique and interesting things I've done in any game. Needing to translate Morse code, needing to find websites for fictional companies to get information about them, needing to reference the Bible or other texts etc. SUPER INTERESTING STUFF THAT WAS WAY OUTSIDE THE BOX AND COOL

But that's hard to make, and very costly. That being said there have been huge advances over the years so I'm not sure you're very on-point with this criticsm.

To me, making an HP game about going around and killing things is like all of those Star Trek games that were about blowing stuff up. Those game adaptations missed the point of the IP they were supposed to be adapting. Star Trek wasn't about blowing stuff up. It was about exploring worlds, interacting with aliens, analyzing anomalies, trying to use your toolkit to rig up a solution. And occasionally getting into a stand off and sometimes blowing something up. Except almost every Star Trek game omitted all of that and was just about blowing stuff up. Literally the one and only Star Trek game that vaguely felt like Star Trek - that had a significant amount of non-combat gameplay - was STO, and even then it was overly laden with combat. It's also like Lord of the Rings, which isn't a story about combat. In fact, very little page time is devoted to battles, and yet every game except LotRO was a murder simulator dressed up in a thin veneer of LotR.

When I think of Harry Potter, I don't think of zapping hundreds of mobs. I think about talking to ghosts, or trying to come up with a creative solution to a problem using a whacky toolkit of potions and magical artifacts, or solving puzzles, or riding strange creatures, and so on. And I guess maybe occasionally zapping someone. But this game feels like one of those hundreds of throwaway Star Trek or LotR games where it misses the point of the IP.

- - - Updated - - -

It's almost as if developers and marketing teams know better what to make and sell than random on some internet forum. But that would be crazy right?

Honestly looks fucking incredible to me. Hope it delivers on what this trailer is promising.