Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] Animaniacs 2020 Reboot

Ok, so I'll start off with while I detest reboots because pretty much every one I've seen has been trash, this looks great.

Hulu is running a new series of the 90's hit animated show Animaniacs, with all of the original cast. Rob Paulsen returns as Yakko and Pinky, Tress McNeil resumes her role as Dot while Jess Harnell reprises Wakko. Of course, my fellow Canadian Maurice Lamarche returns as the Brain. Suffice to say I am excited for this, and hopefully they stay fairly faithful to how the show was, obviously updated to use references that are more likely to be familiar with those of us who grew up watching the show originally, while the original threw back to a lot of 80's references during it's run.

Debuts on November 20th
    Here's the trailer

We need more Pinky and the Brain as well,narf.

Is it a reboot or just a Return? I mean, reboot implies change to old story. If it's just new animation with new stories to be told but not changing the backstory, it's ok in my book.

Loved this show. In today’s audience I just wonder how much it will change. No more “helllllllllllllllo nurse!” as it objectifies women. Also, is it just going to be the Warner’s and Pinky & The Brain? I’d miss seeing the Goodfeathers along with Rita and most definitely Runt.
    Oh well, gonna give it a shot since I loved this show so much.

Yeah, I'm not expecting much from a reboot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well i am sure we will get a updated version of country song. But i wonder if they will dare to say countrys that China doesnt like .

Hope it still retains the subtle adult humour, loved WB Animations of the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Is it a reboot or just a Return? I mean, reboot implies change to old story. If it's just new animation with new stories to be told but not changing the backstory, it's ok in my book.
    In the video they're talking about returning (in character), so assumedly they're just continuing with a large gap (probably locked up again).

Really, it'll depend on what audience they target the show at, could be good, could be horrible. Keep expectations low.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    In the video they're talking about returning (in character), so assumedly they're just continuing with a large gap (probably locked up again).

Really, it'll depend on what audience they target the show at, could be good, could be horrible. Keep expectations low.
    I have a feeling that the 90's kids will be the target audience. We grew up with the show, we are all into our mid 30's or late 20's by now so the humor makes more sense to go for the audience most familiar with the show. Most of the jokes from back in the day were pop culture and history references, so I don't see that changing.

10+ Year Old Account
    This was one of my favorite cartoons, I'll for sure check it out. LOL I loved that they got away with way more stuff than they got credit for right away.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I'm cautiously optimistic, though I'm currently suffering from having seen the Reboot reboot with CGI that was arguably worse than what they had in the late 90's and spends far too much time in "RL".

I'd also like to see them bring Freakazoid back.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic, though I'm currently suffering from having seen the Reboot reboot with CGI that was arguably worse than what they had in the late 90's and spends far too much time in "RL".

I'd also like to see them bring Freakazoid back.
    The problem is that Reboot wasn't even done by the same people who made the original show. Loved it as a kid, but it was one of those things that was great in the moment and isn't something I was yearning for.

I figure animation shows have the advantage of still being good years later because all that really changes is how the jokes are written. There's a lot from Animaniacs that some people today (aka the moral puritans) wouldn't approve of like Yakko and Wakko being horn dogs or even some of the scenes with Suzy the Squirrel were a bit edgy for their time, but they weren't the first to do it either. Loony Toons was doing it years before other "kids cartoons".

Zero chance that it will be anything like the old version in this day and age.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm cautiously optimistic. After how well the new Ducktales turned out it proved you can update the old show without losing the sprit of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, Hulu tho.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    New clip from NYCC.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromtar View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic. After how well the new Ducktales turned out it proved you can update the old show without losing the sprit of it.
    The clown writing the new Ducktales isn't at all being faithful to the original. Based on the interview from NYCC's virtual Animaniacs panel, the guys producing and writing the show are all sticking to tradition, and nothing is going out without being greenlit by Spielberg.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kromtar View Post
    New clip from NYCC.

I watched the whole interview, and I am glad that Spielberg is sticking to tradition and keeping the reboot faithful to the old show. Animaniacs is one of those shows that we probably didn't really appreciate when we were young because some of the jokes went over our heads, and it seems like the intention is to keep that dynamic of humor. It also helps when you have an original cast wanting to be there, as well as the shows creator basically saying "fuck you, if it isn't Tress, Rob, Jess and Maurice, it doesn't go". I'm sure it'll abide by some of the modern times topics but so long as it doesn't plunge into wokeism bullshit that would prevent the show from being true to it's roots like Ducktales and so many other western animation shows have these days, it'll be a huge success. If anyone is going to reboot a show that always sat on the edge between kids, teenaged and adult humor, it needs to be done right.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2020-10-11 at 09:58 PM.

Things the world didn't need

Quote Originally Posted by muten roshi View Post
    Things the world didn't need
    Uh, uh, I'll take 'your burner account for 200, bob.'

10+ Year Old Account
    I am just going to save this scene from the original run when certain posters cry 'wahh Animanicas got political'

Or for the video version

Last edited by Orby; 2020-10-12 at 01:21 PM.