Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    If it were up to me gear would not play any part in arena or battlegrounds at all. Everyone would have the exact same item level and there would be a stat template for each class.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    If it were up to me gear would not play any part in arena or battlegrounds at all. Everyone would have the exact same item level and there would be a stat template for each class. I would take classic no scaling over the inconsistent and unexplained garbage scaling we have now though.
    If it were up to you, then, there would be near zero PvP participation.

Every move closer to this forum-grognard "ideal" has led to immediate PvP participation collapse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiphobia View Post
    Legion PvP was the best iteration of competitive PvP so far in WoW. Stat templates were good.
    Lolno.

Templates were actually worse than the previous system. We did the whole thing with math here in this forum. After the average iLevel hit ~870, it template system generated a bigger stat differential than the split between Honor and Conquest gear, and it only got bigger as the xpac went on.

Add to that that Artifact boosts were multiplicative and added AFTER the templates, and it was a goddamn shit show.

Participation was low because most players in WoW are PvE players, so they don't really care about competitive PvP.
    Partcipation in casual PVP shouldn't have suffered then. But it utterly collapsed. Because there was no carrot to chase.

And, FWIW, participation in PvP has always been higher than PvE. Prior to the removal of the achievements used to track it (25k honor per season, 25k Conquest per season), nearly 50% of the player base (around 48% +/-) did enough PvP to get the 25k Honor achievement (a full set of honor gear +), and ~15% (higher when it was the only way to get weapons, way lower when it wasnt) did the Conquest achievement. And of the people earning the Conquest achievement, nearly 70% did so WITHOUT EVER DOING AN ARENA GAME. Meaning they did it casually doing daily first-win in random BGs and shiz. (I was one of thse people. I got a full conquest set every xpac it was available to do so via non-Arena sources).

Competitive PvP in WoW has NEVER mattered. Why they insist on balancing around it has always beggared the imagination.

And yeah, scaling is good. Oneshotting people is not fun at all, and dying instantly is not fun either.
    No, it isnt. Proper gearing and lowering the iLevel spread for the entire expansion to not have massive mudflation is, and always has been, the answer.

A single tier should not span 50 iLevels. Ever. Thats just shit game design and always was.

Also, given that ever since.. Lich King you have been able to get a set of Honor gear that is only one step below the Conquest Gear (and in TBC you could get everything but a weapon and head); at least until MoP, and then back to that in WoD, until the debacle that was Legion and Beta For Azeroth) easily - in all cases WITHOUT EVEN PvPing - the only excuse you have for entering a BG and getting blown out is because you didn't pay attention to the gearing options that Blizzard offered you.

The systems were there. If you were too dumb to use them, thats not Blizards fault.