Page 1 of 3
LastLast

If souls are stolen by the Shadowlands, what about wisps?

We see wisps in Night Elf zones, and they are the souls of dead Night Elves. How do they manage to stay behind on Azeroth?

Good question. I also wonder how Blizzard will explain all the other ghosts in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Elune probably captures them before they depart to the shadowlands, but I don't think we've gotten a lore explanation

Could just be the natural cycle of Night Elves... sort of like caterpillar -> cocoon -> butterfly.

Night Elf -> Wisp -> shadowlands.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Lighthalzen, the City-State of Prosperity
    Wisps should be empowered by Elune.

Look, a wizard did it. Ok?
    The 3 dh spec is increíble.

I figure wisps are the spirits with a stronger link to the living world. Same with ghosts. So they haven't been pulled to the shadowlands as of yet.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most ghosts of non elves are lingering in our world mostly because of curses.

Maybe Bastion is overworked and there's a "queue" of ghosts hanging around Azeroth until a Kyrian gets them. Position in queue: 9341

Quote Originally Posted by MeTaL GuArD View Post
    Maybe Bastion is overworked and there's a "queue" of ghosts hanging around Azeroth until a Kyrian gets them. Position in queue: 9341
    Only for Night Elves?

Wisps were created in ancient times, by powerfull godlike beings, at the same time as the creation of Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos happenned.
    They're remnants from a long forgotten time, before there was a Shadowland and therefore don't have to obey the same rules. But worry not my firend, as the Great Retcon will come for them at some point, as it does for every piece of lore.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly when Blizzard made Night Elves corpse run a Wisp I doubt they ever had any intention of their being a Shadowlands.

I imagine the explanation now will be along of the lines that not all Wisps are specifically dead Night Elves or some such.

We've seen spirits of other races remain on Azeroth but it is usually due to them being tormented before death or a strong desire to see a last objective completed so it might tie into that.

I always found it funny that in WC3 you ''train'' these wisps from your Tree of Life and then force them to sacrifice themselves to make another building or to harvest gold and lumber. Even when they are dead they were still working for their people.

Great question. I think its wise not to think of all the crazy loopholes and time-travel paradoxes in this mess of a story.. just play and dont think������������������

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Elune probably captures them before they depart to the shadowlands, but I don't think we've gotten a lore explanation
    it would certainly explain why we see so many more elf ghosts than any other race. we did that happen on Draenor after all with the orcs

There are a lot of logical issues here. A lot of Ghosts show up at times the story implies they couldn't.

I also don't know what exactly is going on with Uther here. He is in the Shadowlands since his death but also in Frostmourne and also on his grave...
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like something for the red shirt guy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SoundOfGuns View Post
    There are a lot of logical issues here. A lot of Ghosts show up at times the story implies they couldn't.

I also don't know what exactly is going on with Uther here. He is in the Shadowlands since his death but also in Frostmourne and also on his grave...
    Well when Uther died, his soul was split in half. Look closely in the afterlife cinematic, you see it happening. One half goes to the shadowlands, the other half into frostmourne.
    ___________( •̪●) --(FOR THE ALLIANCE!)
    ░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▃
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂
    I███████████████████].
    ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...

world of random retcons

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    world of random retcons
    Not really a retcon, the shadowlands/spirit realm/etc. has existed since the start, and ghosts (read: wisps) have existed from the start. People die and either move on (Shadowlands) or don't (ghosts, spirits). The ghosts and spirits stick around until they finish whatever they are doing or they are killed as spirits, after which they move on. Just because the Shadowlands exist and are the eventual destination of the dead doesn't mean the dead go straight there.

The only difference between before and now is that we have a more expanded picture of what happens when the dead pass on or "physical" ghosts in our world are killed.

10+ Year Old Account
    We get a Kyrian covenant quest showcasing the process on Azeroth, from which it's not hard to understand that this is not an automatic thing and souls may linger one way or another.

Even besides that - there is no shortage of various ghosts/souls/apparitions everywhere, so even without doing that Kyrian quest one can imagine that moving on is not exactly a smooth process. Once you move on - you move on and very likely to Shadowlands, but there is definitely a gap between death and moving on in Warcraft.

It's not difficult to imagine that in case of wisps there is also some conditional gap between demise and moving on. In case of Night Elves who died in Darnassus, they went to the maw right away, so whole wisp thing is no guarantee either.

It is also quite possible that the exact mechanism of whole "wisp" thing will be explored eventually when we inevitably get to meddle with Elune.

In Shadowlands we see that even someone relatively lowly like Bwonsamdi can intercept the souls and divert them from their intended course, so it would not be out of realm of possibility that Elune does the same for Night Elves, but it could very well be that her power is diminished/disrupted at the moment or she's occupied with something else now, so the process is not smooth/working - which a speculation floated around quite a bit/
    Last edited by Gaidax; 2020-09-19 at 10:56 AM.