Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    If someone hits you online, hit back. Be a man.
    That's never the solution. If someone's being a bully in school, the solution isn't to get beat the shit out of them, the solution is to try to change their behavior.

Giving in to negative emotions is what leads to almost every conflict. The solution isn't to "deal with it" but to raise future generations to learn to handle negative emotions in a better way. You can easily voice your disagreement with something by being calm and rational and not by calling people names and punching them in the face, it's called being an adult.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post
    That's never the solution. If someone's being a bully in school, the solution isn't to get beat the shit out of them, the solution is to try to change their behavior.

Giving in to negative emotions is what leads to almost every conflict. The solution isn't to "deal with it" but to raise future generations to learn to handle negative emotions in a better way. You can easily voice your disagreement with something by being calm and rational and not by calling people names and punching them in the face, it's called being an adult.
    I agree, I've always hated comparisons using school bullies though, because for the majority of a person's life it's just not a valid analogy.

Although, beating the shit out of a bully can be a solution. It's just not one that isn't going to perpetuate more violence unless you're in the incredibly unlikely scenario where your violent response somehow triggers an "I'll never be violent again" response in the original bully. But even then, you're a schoolkid and you just solved a problem with violence, chances are you're gonna try that again some time.

But yeah, the obvious solution to toxicity is precisely that, not giving in to bad feelings that tempt you into doing things that will perpetuate bad feelings in others. Sounds easy to solve in a vaccuum, probably not quite the case when applied to communities the size of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo of Soul View Post

You can't teach people to not be bullies. That requires years of psychiatric help, and that's only if the individual knows he's wrong and wants to change. Something which 99,99% of bullies will never do.
    However, all bullies understand and fear Aggression. Bullies aren't bullies because they are suffering, that's some Steven Universe nonsense, most bullies are just disgusting human beings that didn't suffer any tragedy that turned them into bullies or criminals, they're just bad.

Emotions are a normal thing. Bottling them up in order to be "mature" is not healthy for you because emotions always require an outlet of some kind.
    Sure, you CAN be calm if you're the kind of person who doesn't have strong emotions, but that doesn't mean you're being mature.
    You can't teach people to not be emotional. The Jedi dogma is an entirely fictional thing.

For example. Twitch streamers.
    I think there are two types of game streamers.
    - the REAL. Asmongold, Lirik, Savix, McConnell, etc that express emotions and feel natural.
    - the BLANKS. Milquetoast streamers that never have any emotions, may as well be androids. Cohh Carnage, Towellie,'and others, basically any streamer that's supported by a corporation, because corporations want Blanks to showcase their products, the real people streamers occasionally being..."toxic" and getting cancelled on social media for expressing the wrong opinions.

I don't watch Blanks, I want my streamer to be and feel human.

Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night
    -Dylan Thomas-

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on that sad height,
    Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-10-08 at 09:22 AM.
    WE DO NOT KNEEL

Thats how it is everywhere in the online world. Dont matter if its a game, forum, twitter, facebook or any other online social medium that people use. People spew out shit on a daily basis, even with theyre real name(Like on facebook). Try having a nice discussion with people you dont know online and see how quickly it derails into a total shitshow.

Theres always been toxic people, but today we are exposed to it alot more. Its difficult to avoid them or ignore them because we are so dependant on being online for everything and interacting with strangers.

Mix that with the option of being anonimous, people tend to care about others alot less. Even on platforms were real name is required it more often than not quickly turn for the worse.

This is nothing special for wow, its a general tendency all over. With wow, people find a guild or play with friends and stick with them. They dont need to get new friends, they dont need to add players that did good in a dungeon grp or raid. They have what they need, everything else is collateral damage and can be chewed and tossed out when need be.

Its even more difficult to find new online friends in a game like wow. On retail, everything is automated. People dont have time to interact(chat) with you. They want to clear current task(WQs, dungeon, raid, whatever) and move on. Get grp, do task, leave.

In classic, content like leveling dungeons is all but dead. Currently my Paladin is lvl 45 and the only dungeons i've done is Deadmines and Stockades with a group. Beyond that, lfg channel is dead. People only want boosts, not groups. The world itself is fairly dead, especially in leveling zones. Meaning you dont get to interact with others to complete certain quests that more or less require groups.

Quote Originally Posted by crusadernero View Post
    Thats how it is everywhere in the online world. Dont matter if its a game, forum, twitter, facebook or any other online social medium that people use. People spew out shit on a daily basis, even with theyre real name(Like on facebook). Try having a nice discussion with people you dont know online and see how quickly it derails into a total shitshow.

Theres always been toxic people, but today we are exposed to it alot more. Its difficult to avoid them or ignore them because we are so dependant on being online for everything and interacting with strangers.

Mix that with the option of being anonimous, people tend to care about others alot less. Even on platforms were real name is required it more often than not quickly turn for the worse.

This is nothing special for wow, its a general tendency all over. With wow, people find a guild or play with friends and stick with them. They dont need to get new friends, they dont need to add players that did good in a dungeon grp or raid. They have what they need, everything else is collateral damage and can be chewed and tossed out when need be.

Its even more difficult to find new online friends in a game like wow. On retail, everything is automated. People dont have time to interact(chat) with you. They want to clear current task(WQs, dungeon, raid, whatever) and move on. Get grp, do task, leave.

In classic, content like leveling dungeons is all but dead. Currently my Paladin is lvl 45 and the only dungeons i've done is Deadmines and Stockades with a group. Beyond that, lfg channel is dead. People only want boosts, not groups. The world itself is fairly dead, especially in leveling zones. Meaning you dont get to interact with others to complete certain quests that more or less require groups.
    This is no different than real life society as a whole.
    The only difference is that, unlike an online environment, you don't actually engage in conversations with random strangers on the streets, because if you did, you would notice that real life interactions with random people are just as toxic as online interactions.

Like I said above, people are people and you can't force them to change with ridiculous moderation rules and safe spaces. Moderations and "cancellations" do absolutely nothing but make the individual even more frustrated and angry, and divide society as a whole into Blanks and Reals, and then the categories will form their own communities and further break society into pieces.

The only way to deal with toxicity is to fight it back case by case, and SHOW the toxic person that their toxicity will be answered back in kind and that they won't be bullying anyone without consequences.
    WE DO NOT KNEEL

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    I don't play this game anymore because of the awful community. I have a million other games to play with other people online, and WoW isn't even that good anymore, so if the game is lackluster and the community sucks, I'll play something else. The community has always been pretty bad but you could at least join a decent guild with friendly people and it would be fine, that doesn't exist at all anymore, especially if you don't raid. There's either mega guilds where hardly anyone talks to each other, or tight knit raiding guilds, there is pretty much no such thing as "social, friendly" guilds left in this game anymore and I feel like that's a pretty big indicator of how bad the community is now.
    Why do you hang out here if the community is so awful? The second biggest forum for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sansnom View Post
    Because the internet is an anarchy state. There is no central authority, there is no law, no police.

Remove those from real life and you will get the same results.
    This isn't the issue. Acting like an ass would still have consequences, and comparing this to real life is ridiculous since there are restrictions ingame that literally prevent you from doing certain things that don't exist in real life (for instance, you can't attack or kill someone on your own faction in normal circumstances, or even attack unflagged Horde players or even communicate with them most of the time, etc). These 'laws' don't exist in game or on communities because they are enforced in other ways or simply can't occur. You might as well argue "imagine if when you died your character was deleted", etc., but I am digressing here.

GMs exist in this game and there are standards of community that are punished and acted upon. Socially speaking, these rules exist in real life--that is to say, people can be as much of an asshole in real life as they can be in game under the law. They choose not to, because acting like an asshole is easy under anonymity. It has nothing to do with being in an 'anarchy state' nor is it remotely true for World of Warcraft, which is certainly moderated.

It's simply that people aren't willing to act like an asshole when there can be dire consequences for their action, even if that consequence is simply that they will have to deal with angry people face to face and this makes them uncomfortable. If in real life they could treat other people like shit and be completely immune for any risk or harm, they'd likely act the same way (and often do under similar circumstances).

And the more people who act like assholes, the fewer people will remain that don't. Either people will get tired of the bullshit and leave and move on, or they will become more like them so that they can continue playing the game and being in the same community. It's kind of inevitable. Hell, I try to be above it but I'd be lying if I said playing this game doesn't make me more of a cynical person.
    Last edited by therealbowser; 2020-10-08 at 09:41 AM.