Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Apparently both Romney and Murkowski have committed to NOT confirming a new Justice until after the inauguration.

All eyes on Collins.
    I wish I could believe them. I could see Collins holding out until the election at least, but after the election, whatever the results, I can absolutely see the Senate ramming a nominee through. Especially if Republicans lose the White House and/or the Senate. There's nothing stopping them from confirming a Justice on January 18 as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I wish I could believe them. I could see Collins holding out until the election at least, but after the election, whatever the results, I can absolutely see the Senate ramming a nominee through. Especially if Republicans lose the White House and/or the Senate. There's nothing stopping them from confirming a Justice on January 18 as far as I know.
    Romney and Murkowski have both now publicly committed to not doing it until after the inauguration and I believe both of them, at least, will keep to their word.

I sincerely doubt Collins will commit to anything, and we'd need a fourth anyway since otherwise it would be 50-50 with Pence as the tie-breaker--or am I wrong?

Any hope I had for the future of this country is lost with the loss of Ginsberg.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Collins is concerned...that's all she's good for.

It's amazing how this country has a way to have the highest possible court be packed with ideologues set there for life on a board that:

Doesn't force diverse positions
    Doesn't expand or shrink
    Doesn't need to reflect the country that they're supposed to be representing

At some point going on like this... it seems the supreme court needs tremendous reform, else for decades, it could look the opposite of the country. Thanks to republicans blocking a rightful nomination.

They have filled hundreds of seats with far right conservatives judges and why? because they are losing power.

Like... it is a sad sad thing to look at this country look at the majority... who are "progressive" or conservatives in every other country but then have a judicial system that has been manipulated to look nothing like the country.

What then happens to the voice of the people? What recourse do people have in courts when republicans have done their best to ratfuck everything?

7+ Year Old Account
    I sincerely doubt Collins will commit to anything, and we'd need a fourth anyway since otherwise it would be 50-50 with Pence as the tie-breaker--or am I wrong?
    You're wrong. Even assuming Collins votes no, it's still 50-50 and Pence can still tie-break.

Now the chances of a Supreme Court nominee even being chosen before the election occurs by Trump are not exactly very high, let alone hearings or any kind of votes. It simply takes time to do these things.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Murkowski and Collins will fold like cheap suits under the lightest amount of pressure. If they end up being the reason the Republicans can't secure a guaranteed 5 votes on the SC, the party will destroy them.

And as they've shown repeatedly, their avowed "principles" matter less than their political skin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Come the fuck off it.

HILLARY WON THE MAJORITY and the voting outcome frankly came down to three states and a few ten thousand votes in areas that aren't even all that progressive to begin with" So trying to blame it on "progressives" is stupid.

Why not blame it on all the people voting for fucking crazy republicans? We literally now have a QANON person! Did progressives do that?
    Come off nothing. I don’t blame them for trump’s election. That is clearly the fault of the people that voted for him.

I do blame them for not doing everything they can to keep trump out of office, though. Even moreso if they’re attempting to sway others off of voting for Biden by begging the question of “well is he really progressive enough for me to vote for?” Or “well what will he do that’s ultimately different from republicans if he’s not instating x, y or z pet issue?”

This should clarify in everyone’s mind what is always on the line, here, and what is always worth ensuring. The LONG TERM political landscape. Because things just got a whole lot more complicated.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    You're wrong. Even assuming Collins votes no, it's still 50-50 and Pence can still tie-break.

Now the chances of a Supreme Court nominee even being chosen before the election occurs by Trump are not exactly very high, let alone hearings or any kind of votes. It simply takes time to do these things.
    That's...what I said. Even with Collins there would have to be a 4th to say no or else it will be 50-50.

Justice Ginsburg dictated a statement before her death: "My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."
    I'm sure Moscow Mitch, a man of the highest integrity will honor this loyal civil servant's dying wish as well as not go against the statement he made with our last president about it being to soon before an election to put up another supreme court judge.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    If you think the Senate GOP won't RAM this through as quickly as possible--they already have a list of nominees from Trump--then you are delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Come off nothing. I don’t blame them for trump’s election. That is clearly the fault of the people that voted for him.

I do blame them for not doing everything they can to keep trump out of office, though. Even moreso if they’re attempting to sway others off of voting for Biden by begging the question of “well is he really progressive enough for me to vote for?” Or “well what will he do that’s ultimately different from republicans if he’s not instating x, y or z pet issue?”

This should clarify in everyone’s mind what is always on the line, here, and what is always worth ensuring. The LONG TERM political landscape. Because things just got a whole lot more complicated.
    Our entire voting system is entirely fucking flawed. Again:

3 states and about 70k votes in areas that aren't all that progressive, to begin with decided the election.

The critique of Bernie progressives and such is frankly misplaced.

There's zero chance a vote doesn't occur before the end of the year. It would take a sizable revolt from republican senators to prevent it. I don't see how that happens unless Trump defies everyone's advice and nominates someone they don't want but he thinks will be loyal to him.

If he nominates one of their top picks then it's going to happen.

Republicans are going to spit on RGB's wishes of not replacing her until after the elections.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

10+ Year Old Account

3 states and about 70k votes in areas that aren't all that progressive, to begin with decided the election.

I will always criticize people who misplace their idealism in stupidity.

Someone preferring to support Bernie over Biden or their respective policies is fine. But someone preferring to “sit out the election because Biden isn’t progressive enough” and is perfectly fine with the possibility of trump being elected because of it is a fucking moron.

Because as you have duly noted things are stacked against the democrats not in popularity, but in ersatz attempted election Fraud at the hands of the Trump administration. And the democrats need every cylinder firing they can get to counteract it.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    If you think the Senate GOP won't RAM this through as quickly as possible--they already have a list of nominees from Trump--then you are delusional.
    They have no interest or benefit to do it before the election, since they want their voting base motivated to go out to vote. Before January if Trump losses and/or they lose their Senate majority? Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    Republicans are going to spit on RGB's wishes of not replacing her until after the elections.
    No, because that's not what she wanted according to reports. Rather that she didn't want to be replaced until the next president is sworn in.

A key difference there.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

I looked at the list of Supeme Court deaths here:
    http://politicalgraveyard.com/offices/pdio3.html

This is the first time in the history of the US that a Supreme Court Justice died within 50 days of a presidential election. The previous closest was actually the last death: Antonin Scalia on February 13, 2016.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I think he's talking about the concern trolls that frequent the general election thread and all over the internet. I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Biden can just increase the number of seats. There is no rule it has to 9. It's been 12 before.
    I always see people say this but what happens when the republicans win both back? It would be fair game to add more justices themselves. Then the democrats do the same thing down the road and before you know it the supreme court has over 100 justices.

3+ Year Old Account
    She had amazing will power to live but unfortunately her body didn’t match her spirit.

She will be dearly missed.

The future of our rights rest with us. I truly hope me and my siblings don’t have do suffer from resurgence of Jim Crow like “laws” allowed by a “conservative” Supreme Court.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I think he's talking about the concern trolls that frequent the general election thread and all over the internet. I could be wrong.
    Precisely this.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.