Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Come off nothing. I don’t blame them for trump’s election. That is clearly the fault of the people that voted for him.

I do blame them for not doing everything they can to keep trump out of office, though. Even moreso if they’re attempting to sway others off of voting for Biden by begging the question of “well is he really progressive enough for me to vote for?” Or “well what will he do that’s ultimately different from republicans if he’s not instating x, y or z pet issue?”

This should clarify in everyone’s mind what is always on the line, here, and what is always worth ensuring. The LONG TERM political landscape. Because things just got a whole lot more complicated.
    Maybe run a better candidate next time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I looked at the list of Supeme Court deaths here:
    http://politicalgraveyard.com/offices/pdio3.html

This is the first time in the history of the US that a Supreme Court Justice died within 50 days of a presidential election. The previous closest was actually the last death: Antonin Scalia on February 13, 2016.
    And lest we remember what Republicans said about replacing Scalia: "We can't ram a supreme court justice through the system until after the elections this year"
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    And lest we remember what Republicans said about replacing Scalia: "We can't ram a supreme court justice through the system until after the elections this year"
    And they will grin through any accusations of hypocrisy as they get the last laugh.

McConnell already said months ago he would ram through another justice regardless of how close it is to election.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I will always criticize people who misplace their idealism in stupidity.

Someone preferring to support Bernie over Biden or their respective policies is fine. But someone preferring to “sit out the election because Biden isn’t progressive enough” and is perfectly fine with the possibility of trump being elected because of it is a fucking moron.

Because as you have duly noted things are stacked against the democrats not in popularity, but in ersatz attempted election Fraud at the hands of the Trump administration. And the democrats need every cylinder firing they can get to counteract it.
    I can't imagine many sitting out considering who the president is and the state the country is in at this moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    Maybe run a better candidate next time.
    Maybe if your ship springs a leak and you have to return to port you should help bail water instead of sitting around sulking that you won’t be sailing all the way to Hawaii.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    They have no interest or benefit to do it before the election, since they want their voting base motivated to go out to vote. Before January if Trump losses and/or they lose their Senate majority? Sure.
    Your argument was that "it takes time", which is what I was refuting. If they wanted to get their nominee installed ASAP, they can do it in a week, tops. Like I said, they already have a list of nominees from Trump, the SJC likely already has most of the information they need on any nominees given that McConnell and co have likely been preparing for this for the past couple years, so that vote will happen quickly, then the Senate floor hearing will likely last less than a day as the GOP use the nuclear option to end debate and put it to a vote which, barring sufficient dissent within the GOP, immediately gives Trump's nominee the seat.

As seen in the case of Gorsuch, this could take as little as 4 days--and they weren't particularly speedy about it then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I can't imagine many sitting out considering who the president is and the state the country is in at this moment.
    I have certainly seen them around. On these forums, no less.

And it’s not about them specifically as individual voters. It’s about the apathy and doubt they inspire in others that’s problematic.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-09-19 at 12:51 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    McConnel already said earlier this year he'd ram through an appointee this year.

Let's not pretend like the GOP has any kind of morals

My guess is Trump will watch for democrats to come out and demand Biden pack the court after he is inaugurated. If they demand this, Trump will wheel around and say "IF packing the court is OK, then I am going to do it!" and then he sends like 8 selections to the senate to confirm. Then he starts tearing the hell out of the country.

- - - Updated - - -

The republicans claim that scenario was different because the White House was an open seat in 2016. It is not an open seat in 2020.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

My guess is Trump will watch for democrats to come out and demand Biden pack the court after he is inaugurated. If they demand this, Trump will wheel around and say "IF packing the court is OK, then I am going to do it!" and then he sends like 8 selections to the senate to confirm. Then he starts tearing the hell out of the country.
    Have you been in a coma the last 4 years? Lol he will start.

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    You're wrong. Even assuming Collins votes no, it's still 50-50 and Pence can still tie-break.

Now the chances of a Supreme Court nominee even being chosen before the election occurs by Trump are not exactly very high, let alone hearings or any kind of votes. It simply takes time to do these things.
    That's what you think.

Moscow Mitch will have hearings scheduled by the end of the week.

I looked at the list of Supeme Court deaths here:
    http://politicalgraveyard.com/offices/pdio3.html

This is the first time in the history of the US that a Supreme Court Justice died within 50 days of a presidential election. The previous closest was actually the last death: Antonin Scalia on February 13, 2016.
    And we know how Mitch McConnell ratfucked that court position.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I did forget Kelly can be sworn in as soon as the 30th if he wins, so there's that at least. Might not need 4 GOPers if they don't do it before the election.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumred View Post
    I always see people say this but what happens when the republicans win both back? It would be fair game to add more justices themselves. Then the democrats do the same thing down the road and before you know it the supreme court has over 100 justices.
    The problem is the Republicans have stopped playing fair. Some might say in the 90s with Newt, others might say in response to Obama becoming president with the crime in their eyes of not being a White man. Since the Republicans stopped playing by the rules the Democrats will shoot themselves in the foot over and over and over if they continue to play fair. If that means stacking the courts, going at the throat over and over then so be it. You can't do anything when you're in oppisition even if you hold the "Moral high ground"

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The problem is the Republicans have stopped playing fair. Some might say in the 90s with Newt, others might say in response to Obama becoming president with the crime in their eyes of not being a White man. Since the Republicans stopped playing by the rules the Democrats will shoot themselves in the foot over and over and over if they continue to play fair. If that means stacking the courts, going at the throat over and over then so be it. You can't do anything when you're in oppisition even if you hold the "Moral high ground"
    I think this quote sums up the Democrats in congress

"We will be very principled corpses"

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    I did forget Kelly can be sworn in as soon as the 30th if he wins, so there's that at least. Might not need 4 GOPers if they don't do it before the election.
    Mitch has been preparing for this day for years. I doubt it will take him up to the 30th to confirm someone. He's that evil.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

We are in the endgame now

Last edited by akris15; 2020-09-19 at 01:09 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Your argument was that "it takes time"
    To address this specific point then, beyond any political desires: It does take time, there's time for debate that's set 24 hours that have to debated on the Senate Floor, and that's not 24 regular hours since there's other things that do happen as well, then there's the many votes themselves which also suck up time, but before all of that you have to have a candidate nominated official, which takes time, then a candidate will meet with individual senators on a one on one basis, then there will be a heading before the Judiciary Comittee, which has to be scheduled and voted on, then a vote in the committee itself then the issue brought to the floor, and then the floor votes.

Can this process be sped up? Sure, but that would require changing the current Senate rules, on both the floor and committee and guess what? That TOO takes time, and that's ignoring the fact Trump still has to choose who he wants, which will take him days if not weeks.

I sincerely doubt given the pace of the Senate on any nomination they'd manage to get it done by early November, especially since Democrats could and would do everything in their power to slow the GOP down and there's a lot of ways to manage that.

Point being, if the GOP wants to actually put a replacement, it will only happen at the earliest in the lame duck period.

EDIT: I'm walking away from this thread in utter disgust, her body isn't even cold yet and all everyone can talk about is political partisanship.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2020-09-19 at 01:02 AM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    The republicans claim that scenario was different because the White House was an open seat in 2016. It is not an open seat in 2020.
    And they are liars for doing so, just like the idea that they won't immediately jump on this to stack the court is a lie, and just like the idea that Roberts will "move left" to preserve "the balance" is a lie.

But lol who gives a shit, this country is screwed for the next generation regardless. American democracy is, for all intents and purposes, functionally dead as of RBG's replacement - no legislation to fix it will survive a Trumpian SCOTUS.
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2020-09-19 at 12:59 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.