Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Unlocking Allied races in Shadowlands: Diminishing hard work and achievements ingame

Dear MMO Championers and Champettes,

I would like to discuss the further diminishing of ''rewarding'' grinds and accolades ingame and now again happening in SL.
    The allied races where pretty grindy and rewarding to unlock in BFA, it really felt like you worked for it.

In Shadowlands this will be diminished with (most of them) fairly simple achievements and BOOM: u got the allied race unlocked.

The discussion point:
    ''Is Blizzard going to far in diminishing achievements/rewards where u worked hard for in later expansions? Should there be more containtment in having those rewards behind these harder to unlock achievements?''

Let me know!

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you new to World of Warcraft?

Take a look at all the T6 wearers, Invincible riders, Mimi's Head flyers, and consider to yourself, what are the odds they earned those when it was current versus farmed it when they can one shot it?

This has always been the way of the game, except for a few rare cases, the prestige is only when its current.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

3+ Year Old Account
    While I agree some things should be exclusive or limited availability, an expansion feature like Allies Races shouldn't be permanently locked behind a reputation grind.
    For current expac, sure, as lore-wise the big bad isn't dead until the next expac launches, so the races in question aren't fully supporting of you/your faction.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think Blizzard did the right thing. I mean, my buddy didnt want to resub unless he can play Zandalari without grinding the shit out of Zuldazar faction, and now he can succesfully do it cause he have an achievement. He is happy, im happy.
    I guess many other players have the same mindset.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvern View Post
    ''Is Blizzard going to far in diminishing achievements/rewards where u worked hard for in later expansions? Should there be more containtment in having those rewards behind these harder to unlock achievements?''
    No. The very fact that the expansion inevitably ends and is no longer current is already a huge diminishment of most of your achievements past the point of relevance. And at that particular point, removing the grind from those certain achievements and unlockables, like allied races, becomes less of a diminishment, and more of a quality of life improvement.

Let's be honest here. Grinding rep is not hard work compared to actual notable in-game challenges that award hard-won collectables and achievements, many of which become nigh unattainable past those expansions. There is no reason for the "challenge" of grinding out rep for a month to be preserved once the expansion is over. Whatever annoyance people have with having their rep grind suddenly mean nothing in the expansion that now almost entirely means nothing, I feel like it's outweighed by the convenience of not having to go through that shit for old content. It's the same thing for flying. Pathfinder was a reasonable achievement to have when the expansion it was tied to was current and the actual reward of being able to fly was more meaningful. But Pathfinder no longer being required for expansions that aren't current and meaningful is a great change. I "worked" just as "hard" as everyone else to clear Pathfinder Pt. 2 to be able to fly in BFA, and it felt good, and still feels good. But the work I did doesn't have nearly enough weight or significance for me to feel anything about the fact that it's not going to be required anymore in Shadowlands. If anything, I'm happy that flying in old content is going to be freed up across the board for those who didn't do it and don't feel like they should, just the same that I'm happy that the grind to unlock allied races is going to go away for those who rightly shouldn't feel like slogging their way through now-meaningless content for something like playable races.
    Last edited by CalamityHeart; 2020-09-18 at 12:44 PM.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Lol troll.
    This forum was pretty adamantly against Allied Races being locked behind rep grinds.
    I would take a different avenue if you want to try to tear down SL.

Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    Lol troll.
    This forum was pretty adamantly against Allied Races being locked behind rep grinds.
    I would take a different avenue if you want to try to tear down SL.
    Its very annoying that you label my discussion point as a ''troll''. You are free to disagree or discuss but dont downplay my opinion as a ''troll'' because its not similiar to your perspective. Very immature.

it did not feel like you worked for it. Who was really playing the game did nothing, everything was alread done. Getting reputation was a natural part of the game.
    Getting rep after the expansion is a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by CalamityHeart View Post
    No. The very fact that the expansion inevitably ends and is no longer current is already a huge diminishment of most of your achievements past the point of relevance. And at that particular point, removing the grind from those certain achievements and unlockables, like allied races, becomes less of a diminishment, and more of a quality of life improvement.

Let's be honest here. Grinding rep is not hard work compared to actual notable in-game challenges that award hard-won collectables and achievements, many of which become nigh unattainable past those expansions. There is no reason for the "challenge" of grinding out rep for a month to be preserved once the expansion is over. Whatever annoyance people have with having their rep grind suddenly mean nothing in the expansion that now almost entirely means nothing, I feel like it's outweighed by the convenience of not having to go through that shit for old content. It's the same thing for flying. Pathfinder was a reasonable achievement to have when the expansion it was tied to was current and the actual reward of being able to fly was more meaningful. But Pathfinder no longer being required for expansions that aren't current and meaningful is a great change. I "worked" just as "hard" as everyone else to clear Pathfinder Pt. 2 to be able to fly in BFA, and it felt good, and still feels good. But the work I did doesn't have nearly enough weight or significance for me to feel anything about the fact that it's not going to be required anymore in Shadowlands. If anything, I'm happy that flying in old content is going to be freed up across the board for those who didn't do it and don't feel like they should, just the same that I'm happy that the grind to unlock allied races is going to go away for those who rightly shouldn't feel like slogging their way through now-meaningless content for something like playable races.
    You bring valid points sir, my main concern is that if blizzard makes it easier and easier for rewards to diminish, no reward would feel special or exclusive anymore. And in my opion we should contain that special feeling for some of the content we worked hard for.

I would like to discuss the further diminishing of ''rewarding'' grinds and accolades ingame and now again happening in SL.
    The allied races where pretty grindy and rewarding to unlock in BFA, it really felt like you worked for it.

In Shadowlands this will be diminished with (most of them) fairly simple achievements and BOOM: u got the allied race unlocked.
    I unlocked all the alliance races. All but one happened as I normally played the game - I didn't "work" for it, I just played a game. The one I did grind, mechagnomes, I also didn't "work" for - I just did simple dailies over and over <yawn/>.

Personally, I think opening those races automatically in SL is a good thing. It doesn't hurt me in the least, and it is a potential draw for new or returning players - and the more people who play this game, the better it is for me. It gives me additional people to PUG with, it funds the future of the game so I can enjoy more expansions, etc. There's no downside for me if Blizz opens up allied races instantly and for "no effort" in SL.

But let's say it did none of that. Let's say WoW gains no new players from it and no money from it. Let's say I gain nothing at all from them opening up allied races. Why do I care if someone else gets to play a Kul Tiran on their first day of playing SL after only playing Horde in BFA? Or even if they skipped BFA, why do I care if they can now start a new void elf? I enjoyed unlocking the races (sans mechagnomes) while I played - it was an interesting little bonus. But the entertainment I got from that is past, and handing out access now doesn't in any way diminish the enjoyment I got from it while I was playing BFA. There is literally zero downside to me, and I can even be happy that others might get enjoyment from something that they otherwise couldn't have gotten.

I unlocked all the heritage armor and races on both factions. I couldn't care if they made it easier for people in shadowlands. I probably speak for the majority of people who did the same. And saying it was hard work is laughable.

There are plenty of challenging things in WoW - leveling a 19th alt isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodwulf View Post
    Are you new to World of Warcraft?

Take a look at all the T6 wearers, Invincible riders, Mimi's Head flyers, and consider to yourself, what are the odds they earned those when it was current versus farmed it when they can one shot it?

This has always been the way of the game, except for a few rare cases, the prestige is only when its current.
    Well Except for PvP for some weird reason.

You bring valid points sir, my main concern is that if blizzard makes it easier and easier for rewards to diminish, no reward would feel special or exclusive anymore. And in my opion we should contain that special feeling for some of the content we worked hard for.
    Exclusive is really just a word used to hide the ugliness of schadenfreude.

7+ Year Old Account
    Getting to exalted wasnt hard

But having them available without the grind is good
    This world don't give us nothing. It be our lot to suffer... and our duty to fight back.

Having any grind involved with allied races was a big mistake. Just like any other race they should be unlocked from the start.
    I can't be mad about allied races being available easier when there shouldn't be any obstacle to play them in the first place.

Thats why i keep riding my Amani Warbear sporting my Hand of Adal title - not much left of all those hard earned stuff that cant be obtained anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Well Except for PvP for some weird reason.
    That was the "except for a few rare cases", as much as PVP is the stepchild that Blizzard forgets, they still have mount/title prestige.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.

3+ Year Old Account
    So what was actually changes with allied races? How do you unlock them in shadowlands without the grind?

15+ Year Old Account
    Unless the said content is actually removed, then it really isn't special it's just gated. It's special for a period of time until everyone has then it's just content. While I appreciate gating for things (raids, pvp, titles and mounts etc) races are a core part of your faction and you should be able to play what you want to play. Sure if the allied races gave a substantial bonus over the standard ones in forms of racial's then sure stick something in front of it but at this point why hold them back?