Poll: Would you take the arrangement?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    I would be happy with it as long as I had a lot of money to buy stuff and have it delivered. I would do it as long as the house had good internet service and tv service. I would do it if the house had good air conditioning and appliances. I would do it if the house was in a climate that I liked without a lot of bugs, mice, or rats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    With immortality you'd also get to experience all future technology which could help to solve the house constraint issue.
    Just expanding the house might work

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I would be happy with it as long as I had a lot of money to buy stuff and have it delivered.
    If you're the only immortal then you could probably become the richest person in the world since your skills, expertise, and knowledge would be cumulative over the millenia and your estate would never be split up across multiple inheritors. Where as for other people their knowledge is constantly lost and has to be inefficiently transfered and rebuilt in every new generation.

How does immortality work out if you are supposedly sentenced life in prison? (IF you happened to murder or very serious law breaking) I can't imagine the sanity loss being shackled in prison for the rest of your immortality life. I rather be mortal than immortal cuz being immortal may lead a very very boring life which you probably taste all the experiences of doing those things then what else left to do?
    Last edited by trapmaster; 2020-09-19 at 10:53 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Isn't heaven a perfect utopia though? What would you do in heaven? It seems boring imo.

What makes real life so fun is that there is always imperfection and room for improvement.
    I am looking forward to finding out.

I enjoy life, but there are times it sucks too. Esp watching a love one suffer. I also accept that one day I will die. And if you go to a nursing home, you will find several there who want to. You can reach a point, where you understand it is time to move on.

I only want to live long enough that I can eat my food by myself and wipe my own ass. At this point, for my age, I am in excellent health. But those who simply stay in good health and die one night in their sleep, is very uncommon.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post

I enjoy life, but there are times it sucks too. Esp watching a love one suffer. I also accept that one day I will die. And if you go to a nursing home, you will find several there who want to. You can reach a point, where you understand it is time to move on.

I only want to live long enough that I can eat my food by myself and wipe my own ass. At this point, for my age, I am in excellent health. But those who simply stay in good health and die one night in their sleep, is very uncommon.
    Yes but in conversations about immortality and aging the premise should be that we've cured unhealthiness and preserved youthfulness. As opposed to the idea that you would merely live forever with the body of a 120 year old.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes but in conversations about immortality and aging the premise should be that we've cured unhealthiness and preserved youthfulness. As opposed to the idea that you would merely live forever with the body of a 120 year old.
    The OP never detained any conditions, other than you would have immortality. I still wouldn't want it, because the ones I love, ( in some cases, more than I do myself ) wouldn't have it.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    The OP never detained any conditions, other than you would have immortality. I still wouldn't want it, because the ones I love, ( in some cases, more than I do myself ) wouldn't have it.
    You would rather die than see your grand children and great great children grow up? You have nothing to teach them and no wisdom to impart? You’r memory would be their immortality...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Is the house immortal too? What happens in several hundred million years when the sun explodes?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    Is the house immortal too? What happens in several hundred million years when the sun explodes?
    You get a better view?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You get a better view?
    Sure, it'll probably be an awesome view while it's nova. But once the fireworks are over? You'll be floating in the dead of space with nothing to do. The several hundred million years of living in that house on an existing Earth will be less than 0.000000000000000000000001% of your total lifespan, so the vast vast VAAAAAAST majority of your life would be spent be unable to do anything while your mind goes more and more insane. That's assuming you don't instantly die when the house is vaporized by the sun exploding anyway.

Though the original post mentions that you'll live in the house forever, so I assume that means the house is invulnerable too? So best case scenario, someday the earth and solar system are gone and you're left alone in an empty house forever. Unless you have some magic appliances in the house, eventually you'll never get to enjoy any of your favorite meals since that resource will be gone, your gaming consoles will break, and you won't have any friends over since they're all dead. It would be a type of boredom we can't even fathom. The best you can hope for is that in a few more million years some aliens will find the house floating around in space and tow you somewhere more interesting out of pity. At least you have the option of leaving the house to die when you get sick of immortality.

If I was Satan I feel like this would be the perfect eternal punishment for some sorry soul. Tell them they can die the moment immortality starts to become unbearable. Once they finally decide it's time to die and step outside the house? Sucker! You can never die. Now you have to spend eternity living a life you don't want in a house you've grown to hate and you won't even have anybody around to watch you suffer.

Or maybe I'm thinking about this too much.

Ask me again on my death bed 'cos it's a bit of a shitty deal at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Sure, it'll probably be an awesome view while it's nova. But once the fireworks are over? You'll be floating in the dead of space with nothing to do. The several hundred million years of living in that house on an existing Earth will be less than 0.000000000000000000000001% of your total lifespan, so the vast vast VAAAAAAST majority of your life would be spent be unable to do anything while your mind goes more and more insane. That's assuming you don't instantly die when the house is vaporized by the sun exploding anyway.

Though the original post mentions that you'll live in the house forever, so I assume that means the house is invulnerable too? So best case scenario, someday the earth and solar system are gone and you're left alone in an empty house forever. Unless you have some magic appliances in the house, eventually you'll never get to enjoy any of your favorite meals since that resource will be gone, your gaming consoles will break, and you won't have any friends over since they're all dead. It would be a type of boredom we can't even fathom. The best you can hope for is that in a few more million years some aliens will find the house floating around in space and tow you somewhere more interesting out of pity. At least you have the option of leaving the house to die when you get sick of immortality.

If I was Satan I feel like this would be the perfect eternal punishment for some sorry soul. Tell them they can die the moment immortality starts to become unbearable. Once they finally decide it's time to die and step outside the house? Sucker! You can never die. Now you have to spend eternity living a life you don't want in a house you've grown to hate and you won't even have anybody around to watch you suffer.

Or maybe I'm thinking about this too much.
    Don't forget the 5 billion years of burning agony inside the sun when it's in it red supergiant phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would if I could alter the schedule by a day or two, since Nov 1 is my birthday.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You will never age outside of that window of time Oct 1st to Oct 31st. Outside of that time you are invisible, the house belongs to a trust you will own so it's yours forever.

Would you take the arrangement?
    This is not immortality. This is aging at a vastly reduced rate...1 month out of every year... but you would still age and eventually you would die.

- - - Updated - - -

You won't live for several hundred million years

You will never age outside of that window of time Oct 1st to Oct 31st.

Meaning you do age inside that window of time. Maybe you get about 1500 years...if you were born in that house and never left.

Also, the "immortality" is tied to staying inside the house 11 months of the year. If the house is gone...you are no longer inside the house.
    Last edited by Egomaniac; 2020-09-20 at 09:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you are just Flandre Scarlet then. A person that never leaves a basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Nan being inside to much depresses me I wouldn’t last a year.
    Well, lucky for you you don't have to last a year. You just have to last 11 months. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda presumptuous of you to assume you are going to heaven.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who the hell in the freaking world wants to be immortall?

7+ Year Old Account
    What happens in several hundred million years when the sun explodes?
    We'd have to figure out how to avoid it. Then we'd have to figure out how to avoid maximum entropy in 10^100 years, then there would be some new problem after that. Unless you believe in utopia then you must always accept that there will be existential issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Who the hell in the freaking world wants to be immortall?
    I do because I prefer life over death.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do because I prefer life over death.
    Lavoisier Law, nothing is lost, nothing nothing is gained, everything changes.

As you die, bacteria will assume control of your remains, plants will absorve nutrients once part of you... You will forever live, as part of other living creatures. As for your soul, you have nothing to fear, there is no pain in the void we all going to.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Lavoisier Law, nothing is lost, nothing nothing is gained, everything changes.

As you die, bacteria will assume control of your remains, plants will absorve nutrients once part of you... You will forever live, as part of other living creatures. As for your soul, you have nothing to fear, there is no pain in the void we all going to.
    Hmm well I don't fear death because as you said there is no pain after death. However the pro-ageing/dying people don't make any sense and when people do actually get old almost none of them actually wish they were dead. Most people fight it until the very end, as they should. If death were truly a healthy part of society then it would be correct to stop making the medical advancements that are pushing it further and further away, yet everyone intuitively knows that we should keep advancing medicine.