View Poll Results: Would you take the arrangement?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • No

    17 58.62%
  • Yes

    12 41.38%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Warchief Tuor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Hmm well I don't fear death because as you said there is no pain after death. However the pro-ageing/dying people don't make any sense and when people do actually get old almost none of them actually wish they were dead. Most people fight it until the very end, as they should. If death were truly a healthy part of society then it would be correct to stop making the medical advancements that are pushing it further and further away, yet everyone intuitively knows that we should keep advancing medicine.
    I didn't said anywhere we shouldn't defend life, or even, extend it. What i did said was that death is part of nature, and everyone should accept that fact without any fear.

  2. #42
    Our minds can't handle immortality, for one, and they also can't handle being stranded in one place for long periods of time as well. Seeing anyone I grow close to wither and die as I live on, forever, is not something I would ever want.

    As always, with any immortality poll, my answer is NO.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

  3. #43
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I didn't said anywhere we shouldn't defend life, or even, extend it.
    I know but being pro-mortality indirectly implies that medical advancements should be stopped at some point in the future. Otherwise medicine will keep improving until it solves everything that kills people.

    death is part of nature,
    Historically that has always been true, but we should reject that in favor of more human life and progress.

    and everyone should accept that fact without any fear.
    We should be bold but it's simply irrational to not fear those things that will kill us.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-09-20 at 08:01 PM.
    -------
    A problem consists of a conflict between two ideas. Problems are soluble.
    Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to predetermine the future.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    This is not immortality. This is aging at a vastly reduced rate...1 month out of every year... but you would still age and eventually you would die.
    In that case it sucks, big no from me.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    Lavoisier Law, nothing is lost, nothing nothing is gained, everything changes.

    As you die, bacteria will assume control of your remains, plants will absorve nutrients once part of you... You will forever live, as part of other living creatures.
    Nah sod that for a game of soldiers. If someone offers me immortality I'm taking it regardless of wishy-washy sentiments that completely ignore that I'm at least the sum of my parts and not just a selection of components.

    As for your soul, you have nothing to fear, there is no pain in the void we all going to.
    Citation needed.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    However the pro-ageing/dying people don't make any sense and when people do actually get old almost none of them actually wish they were dead. Most people fight it until the very end, as they should.
    In my experience, I find that people fight until the end if they're dying from something potentially fixable. However, a supremely old person who isn't dying of anything in particular, but just old age? More times than not I find that their last few weeks/months and sometimes years are spent almost embracing the notion of death. They reach a point where they know it's only going to get worse and they're ready to leave this life behind. Many believe they'll get to reunite with lost ones in heaven and look forward to it in a way.

    This is all anecdotal of course since I have no research to back any of it up, but I did volunteer at a local nursing home for several years and had this kind of conversation with a ton of elderly people. Weirdly enough, believing in the afterlife seemed to make no difference - agnostics and atheists who thought they'd simply cease to exist when they die didn't appear to be any less likely to embrace death towards the end vs. someone who "knew" they were going to paradise. That's not something I would have expected. Maybe embracing the notion of death is merely a defense mechanism to make the unavoidable an easier experience. But, people knowing when "it's time" isn't really that rare at all. Though I wonder how immortality would play into that.

    Anyhow, I feel that the original post leaves too many things unanswered to make a definitive answer. So, you're dead as soon as you leave the house during a certain time of year? What are the odds you'd die SOONER than what your normal lifespan would have been because something happens to the house? You might be tethering yourself and limiting your life experiences all to SHORTEN your lifespan.

  6. #46
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    29,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post


    Alright you can have immortality BUT!

    You have to live in this house forever, and the only time you can leave or be seen is from Oct 1st 12:00am to Oct 31st 11:59pm NOT EXCEPTIONS. The consequences for breaking these rule is death and the end of your immortality.


    You will never age outside of that window of time Oct 1st to Oct 31st. Outside of that time you are invisible, the house belongs to a trust you will own so it's yours forever.

    Would you take the arrangement?
    Man, you come up with some seriously interesting polls/posts.

    Read through the thread, seems I can email and forum and see news, etc. People can come to the house and see me, I just can't leave (outside the October window).

    Gotta vote yes on this one, too. Immortality will have it's own rewards, and I'm sincerely curious about the fate of humanity.

    - - - Updated - - -

    How does ageing work? Am I my current age/shape/etc now with no change?

    (if so, is there a "getting in shape period" before it starts? )
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-09-20 at 10:40 PM.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    If you're the only immortal then you could probably become the richest person in the world since your skills, expertise, and knowledge would be cumulative over the millenia and your estate would never be split up across multiple inheritors. Where as for other people their knowledge is constantly lost and has to be inefficiently transfered and rebuilt in every new generation.
    In this particular situation you probably would not become the richest person though. Does making money in passive investments qualify under things you can "only" do outside the house? If so, then 11 months out of the year you cannot own any investment accounts.

  8. #48
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    40,067
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Man, you come up with some seriously interesting polls/posts.

    Read through the thread, seems I can email and forum and see news, etc. People can come to the house and see me, I just can't leave (outside the October window).

    Gotta vote yes on this one, too. Immortality will have it's own rewards, and I'm sincerely curious about the fate of humanity.

    - - - Updated - - -

    How does ageing work? Am I my current age/shape/etc now with no change?


    (if so, is there a "getting in shape period" before it starts? )
    I've not been batting as well as I like recently so thanks. Lot of minefields now days.

    You get to be in peak physical condition age etc, you never age outside of 1 month of the year. outside of that time stands still for your life.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I've not been batting as well as I like recently so thanks. Lot of minefields now days.

    You get to be in peak physical condition age etc, you never age outside of 1 month of the year. outside of that time stands still for your life.
    I am pretty sure that question was either from an episode of the twilight zone or the outer limits.

  10. #50
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,890
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    You get to be in peak physical condition age etc, you never age outside of 1 month of the year. outside of that time stands still for your life.
    1/12th ageing is weird but it would still extend your life expectancy to around 250-1000 years depending on your biological condition, lifestyle, etc. Society could hit "longevity escape velocity" by that time so you could potentially still avoid death depending on the rate of medical and technological progress.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-09-21 at 02:31 AM.
    -------
    A problem consists of a conflict between two ideas. Problems are soluble.
    Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to predetermine the future.

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I've not been batting as well as I like recently so thanks. Lot of minefields now days.

    You get to be in peak physical condition age etc, you never age outside of 1 month of the year. outside of that time stands still for your life.
    That's not "immortality"

    Assuming you were born in the house and will live a natural life of 100 years...that's a maximum 1200 years.

    Also assumes you don't get hit by a bus during the one month of the year you are completely mortal. Or anything happens to your house.

  12. #52
    Merely a Setback cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    29,150
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    That's not "immortality"

    Assuming you were born in the house and will live a natural life of 100 years...that's a maximum 1200 years.

    Also assumes you don't get hit by a bus during the one month of the year you are completely mortal. Or anything happens to your house.
    You're doing that thing with these topics where you're nitpicking a hypothetical. You gotta roll with it and just make some assumptions. Typically "immortal" posts include "unstickableness" and no ageing. Along with not getting hit by buses, etc.

    Don't get me wrong, what you're pointing out are very valid questions/points and details. But as Morpheus said, you just gotta let it all go.

    Have fun with the parameters of the OP, and make assumptions to have fun.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post


    Alright you can have immortality BUT!

    You have to live in this house forever, and the only time you can leave or be seen is from Oct 1st 12:00am to Oct 31st 11:59pm NOT EXCEPTIONS. The consequences for breaking these rule is death and the end of your immortality.


    You will never age outside of that window of time Oct 1st to Oct 31st. Outside of that time you are invisible, the house belongs to a trust you will own so it's yours forever.

    Would you take the arrangement?
    as long as i had enough money to live very comfy.

    that would be about 20 more days i leave the house then right now!!

    So what happens if i get locked up on the 30th against my will outside the house? i go poof?

    can i buy the neighbors house and add it to mine? connect it? keep expanding till i live in a house the size of a town?
    "The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president," - McConnell
    Karma 1 Trump 0 -Feel as bad for trump as trump did for Hillary- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iIBw-_0T6I

  14. #54
    The Insane PC2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    18,890
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You're doing that thing with these topics where you're nitpicking a hypothetical. You gotta roll with it and just make some assumptions. Typically "immortal" posts include "unstickableness" and no ageing. Along with not getting hit by buses, etc.

    Don't get me wrong, what you're pointing out are very valid questions/points and details. But as Morpheus said, you just gotta let it all go.

    Have fun with the parameters of the OP, and make assumptions to have fun.
    Yeah for me I try (and sometimes fail) to focus on the essence of the topic since there are infinitely many ways you can find technicalities and get lost in the weeds.
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-09-21 at 05:41 AM.
    -------
    A problem consists of a conflict between two ideas. Problems are soluble.
    Fallacies: Ad hominem, Generalizing history to predetermine the future.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You're doing that thing with these topics where you're nitpicking a hypothetical. You gotta roll with it and just make some assumptions. Typically "immortal" posts include "unstickableness" and no ageing. Along with not getting hit by buses, etc.

    Don't get me wrong, what you're pointing out are very valid questions/points and details. But as Morpheus said, you just gotta let it all go.

    Have fun with the parameters of the OP, and make assumptions to have fun.
    First: Who said I'm not having fun?

    Second: You play the game your way. I'll play it mine. Fuck off with your "your fun is wrong" mentality.

    Third: I look at topics like this like it is a deal with the Devil...and when you make a deal with the Devil...you have to go over the details very carefully...because, as the saying goes, the devil is in the details. A common trope with stories about making a deal with the Devil is that he will use some loophole in the Deal to fuck you over. Whether or not I accept to the deal would be decided by how the questions I have are answered and how the contract gets re-written before signing. "Letting it go" is a good way to doom your Soul to infinite suffering.

    Well, I look at this deal and the first thing I can see is that the deal does not promise immortality. It promises that you will age slowly. It will enhance your natural lifespan...but it will not make you immortal. You might end up living for 1000 more years...but eventually...you will die.

    The Next thing to notice is that you are tied to the house itself. You cannot leave except during the month of October or you will die immediately. For the rest of the year you must remain indoors. Even stepping out to get the mail could be considered a violation. The OP is very clear that there are no exceptions to this rule. Also, what does happen if the house is destroyed? Certainly a question to clear up.

    Third, for those 11 months of the year where you are unable to leave your house under penalty of death...you are invisible. Now, If I wanted to be a real stickler here I could insist that means you'd also be blind. As it is, I would just clear that little detail with the Devil first before accepting his deal. But there are other issues at play here. My ability to interact with the outside world is limited by the fact that I can not be seen 11 months of the year.

    How do I earn my living? I might be "immortal" but the bills still gotta get paid. And since I can only leave my house 1 month of the year...I'm gonna be spending a lot on in-home entertainment. Also food...do I still need to eat? There's an issue of the Sandman by Neil Gaiman where every hundred years Dream will meet with a man that cannot die. They will sit and talk about how the man spent the last century. During one of those centuries this immortal falls upon hard times and he asks Dream
    "Do you know hungry you get when you have nothing to eat...but cannot die?" Because I'd be concerned about that situation....I'd need some assurances about food stocks.

    Fourth, there is no indication that I am safe from harm during the month of october where I am free to roam the world. It has already been established that I will be aging during that month. So, what happens if I get hit by a bus? I would need to sort this out with the Devil before signing his contract.

    It's up to you if you don't want to ask these kinds of questions. If you want to accept a poorly worded contract and just assume everything will be fine.... that's on you.

  16. #56
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    solve coagula
    Posts
    52,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    You'll be floating in the dead of space with nothing to do.

    <snip>

    Or maybe I'm thinking about this too much.
    Exactly!!!

    The only reason to fear death, is that you stop thinking.
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracle of the One Thing.

  17. #57
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    40,067
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You're doing that thing with these topics where you're nitpicking a hypothetical. You gotta roll with it and just make some assumptions. Typically "immortal" posts include "unstickableness" and no ageing. Along with not getting hit by buses, etc.

    Don't get me wrong, what you're pointing out are very valid questions/points and details. But as Morpheus said, you just gotta let it all go.

    Have fun with the parameters of the OP, and make assumptions to have fun.
    Honestly the best way to approach any of my threads or I think any. I think to take the wrong things too serious, can be the real trap in any situation.


    I am never beyond making a mistake as any human being but this here wasn't really one of them in terms of Immortality.


    When I made this thread, Immortality I am applying in better terms much in the way we see World of Warcraft for an example, Night Elves, being a specific example. Night Elves are born and age, but are still considered immortal, as such I am using that reference in terms of the house.


    Meaning you might age for 30 days in a year, however, I am not suggesting that implies you would ever GROW OLD or DIE as a result,

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Yeah for me I try (and sometimes fail) to focus on the essence of the topic since there are infinitely many ways you can find technicalities and get lost in the weeds.
    Yeah for this I am not conflating Aging with Death, or Immortality meaning time doesn't have some effect
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  18. #58
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    solve coagula
    Posts
    52,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah for this I am not conflating Aging with Death, or Immortality meaning time doesn't have some effect
    You can’t have entropy... if entropy applies, then... the question becomes, what is you? Your brain will deteriorate over time... you might be immortal in the sense of your husk, but... what is you?

    Edit: Your “self” has to be outside the effect of entropy. Otherwise, the idea simply deteriorates to nothing...

    Edit 2: Are you now and you when receiving immortality, even the same people?
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-09-21 at 12:44 PM.
    As above, so below.
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    That which is Below corresponds to that which is Above, and that which is Above corresponds to that which is Below, to accomplish the miracle of the One Thing.

  19. #59
    Warchief Tuor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Valinor
    Posts
    2,099
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Citation needed.
    There isn't any pain because you no longer exist, you enter the void, i'm afraid you entering the field of religion with this, which, is a forbiden topic here on the forum.

    In a scientifical perpective, its just the void, no citation needed at all.
    Last edited by Tuor; 2020-09-21 at 02:46 PM.

  20. #60
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    40,067
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You can’t have entropy... if entropy applies, then... the question becomes, what is you? Your brain will deteriorate over time... you might be immortal in the sense of your husk, but... what is you?

    Edit: Your “self” has to be outside the effect of entropy. Otherwise, the idea simply deteriorates to nothing...

    Edit 2: Are you now and you when receiving immortality, even the same people?

    As it's framed as all threads of this nature are framed. Unless something is explicit then one might use their own interpretation.

    As I said YOU are immortal meaning YOU can not die provided you abide by the explicit terms of the agreement

    Age is going to be a factor in some sense even if you never actually age, the question isn't whether you are immortal and so to is everything and everyone around you.

    Now you can interpret as such but everything else is game.


    As some have pointed out for example, You are immortal, however you get to watch everything, and everyone else around you DIE!


    I'll give you another example, keep in mind this is no rule per say but a likely interpretation,


    YOU agree to the terms of the deal, therefor making your life outside of this house before Oct 1st at exactly 12:00.00AM up to 11:59.59PM October Non existent, TIME still exist for everyone else, they age, everything else that goes along with whatever will happen to them happens.


    So outside of that WINDOW, YOU'LL never see them or experience them or anything else for that matter. Meanwhile during your time inside that window you age, and relatives and including loved ones could come knocking and visit you.

    But YOU are Immortal, get it?

    Time in this context isn't about YOU at all.

    If your loved one comes to visit you say a 4days to you would be 4 years to everyone else. 10 Days = 40 Years for everyone else. Some that could be a dream and awesome but others, That could be a fucking nightmare.


    Oh Incase anyone is wondering where I tole or got the inspiration for the question. The Answer is Ground Hog Day.


    Because I often wondered what if Phil instead of waking up to to February 3rd 1993, instead of February 2nd 1993 AGAIN.

    What is Phil Woke up to February 2nd Ground Hog Day 1994?
    Last edited by Doctor Amadeus; 2020-09-21 at 03:14 PM.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •