Poll: Would you take the arrangement?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    That house is gorgeous. Hell yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That house is gorgeous. Hell yes.
    Is it eternally forever gorgeous LOL
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Is it eternally forever gorgeous LOL
    I could hire people to take care of the exterior. So I that would be pretty easy to do. In my city, that home would be several millions of dollars to own.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    First: Who said I'm not having fun?

Second: You play the game your way. I'll play it mine. Fuck off with your "your fun is wrong" mentality.

Third: I look at topics like this like it is a deal with the Devil...and when you make a deal with the Devil...you have to go over the details very carefully...because, as the saying goes, the devil is in the details. A common trope with stories about making a deal with the Devil is that he will use some loophole in the Deal to fuck you over. Whether or not I accept to the deal would be decided by how the questions I have are answered and how the contract gets re-written before signing. "Letting it go" is a good way to doom your Soul to infinite suffering.

Well, I look at this deal and the first thing I can see is that the deal does not promise immortality. It promises that you will age slowly. It will enhance your natural lifespan...but it will not make you immortal. You might end up living for 1000 more years...but eventually...you will die.

The Next thing to notice is that you are tied to the house itself. You cannot leave except during the month of October or you will die immediately. For the rest of the year you must remain indoors. Even stepping out to get the mail could be considered a violation. The OP is very clear that there are no exceptions to this rule. Also, what does happen if the house is destroyed? Certainly a question to clear up.

Third, for those 11 months of the year where you are unable to leave your house under penalty of death...you are invisible. Now, If I wanted to be a real stickler here I could insist that means you'd also be blind. As it is, I would just clear that little detail with the Devil first before accepting his deal. But there are other issues at play here. My ability to interact with the outside world is limited by the fact that I can not be seen 11 months of the year.

How do I earn my living? I might be "immortal" but the bills still gotta get paid. And since I can only leave my house 1 month of the year...I'm gonna be spending a lot on in-home entertainment. Also food...do I still need to eat? There's an issue of the Sandman by Neil Gaiman where every hundred years Dream will meet with a man that cannot die. They will sit and talk about how the man spent the last century. During one of those centuries this immortal falls upon hard times and he asks Dream
    "Do you know hungry you get when you have nothing to eat...but cannot die?" Because I'd be concerned about that situation....I'd need some assurances about food stocks.

Fourth, there is no indication that I am safe from harm during the month of october where I am free to roam the world. It has already been established that I will be aging during that month. So, what happens if I get hit by a bus? I would need to sort this out with the Devil before signing his contract.

It's up to you if you don't want to ask these kinds of questions. If you want to accept a poorly worded contract and just assume everything will be fine.... that's on you.
    Lol, all excellent points - especially re "your fun is wrong". I can't disagree with any of the above in regards to inking a deal with the Devil.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would give up almost anything to be immortal since with infinite time one could potentially do infinite things. Though in this scenario you're effectively dead to the world 11 out 12 months, but at least you have the choice to end it if you decide to.

That sounds worse than eternal house arrest.