Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    You can easily play Classic without min-maxing. The game was cleared years ago with dial up internet, 1 core processor dell computers, and people clicking their spells. This notion that you have to min/max is one imposed by the community. That being said, the community isn't a monolith. There are guilds who don't do buffs, don't care if you use consumables, don't care if you play meta, etc. You'll have to search for them because they're not the norm and, odds are, they're not on sites like mmoc recruiting.

Personally, I don't mind using consumables and playing meta but having to deal with a lot of the people in Classic, like some of the people in this thread, just isn't worth it. Especially considering how damn easy the game is.
    Whaleshark /spits on your science.

Quote Originally Posted by arr0gance View Post
    No, they "literally" aren't. You can play however the fuck you want and nobody can stop you. That said, if you're shit at the game, playing an off-meta spec, or in general not trying very hard then other people can not invite you to their group which is 100% their right to do so, regardless of how you feel about it. Also, I'd strongly suggest you literally look up the definition of the word literally because it literally doesn't mean what you literally think it means. Literally.

Like I said, if you want to find a casual guild full of old people who have the reaction times of a barrel of sedated kittens I'm sure you'll find one eventually. They do exist, I have no idea why you want to create this narrative that "all guilds" are full of elitist shitbags.

Also, cute that you'd mention my profile picture. Got any other low hanging fruit you'd like to throw at me?
    Harsh but true.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaundice View Post
    People like you are the reason I and many others have essentially stopped playing the game. I have never encountered a game with a shittier community, because miserable, abrasive, unfunny, Dunning-Kruger dickheads like yourself are so prominent.

Kindly get bent.
    Yet, here you are, using one of the two posts of your twelve-year-old account to get infracted -- way to take high ground, friendo. You contributed nothing to the conversation.

Also, what the fuck is a "Dunning-Kruger dickhead" anyway? Did you just run out of adjectives and decide to use the last topic you heard on NPR in the form of an insult?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crutos View Post
    yeah getting anything server first or 190th or breaking boss records doesn't matter to me. I am just interested in experiencing the content.
    Nothing is stoping you is there?
    Regardless how one want to play only one thing is needed.
    To find others who share your aim of the game.

You are just lazy.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2020-10-08 at 06:54 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

They literally are though "play this way or you can't play". I am not forcing anything on anyone. I just want to play how I want to play and are looking for people who don't take the game too seriously like I do.
    I guess your profile avatar is an accurate representation of the real life you.
    Sounds like it is exactly people like you I am trying to avoid.
    No, they literally are not doing that. You are literally trying force your way of thinking on others though. There are plenty of people playing Classic casually, and plenty of people playing it, well, less casually. Group up with the former ones if that's the kind of crowd you want to be in.

P.S Pretty classy move those personal insults about his avatar and such.

7+ Year Old Account
    "You have to be fully buffed with flasks, potions, world buffs etc etc for every single raid all the time" etc.
    Not even top world guilds use flasks for all their raids unless it's progression or speedruns, as for the rest? Sure for the 40 man raids, but for something like ZG or AQ20? Not really and I'm talking here top 100 guilds let alone the thousands upon of thousands of guilds that do not do this.

My impression is that everybody now plays with this mindset due to youtube content made primarily by private server elitists who gave the average player the impression that this how they have to play. I don't really care to spend a whole lot of time, money and effort on the game if it is going to be this way for the rest of classic and through TBC.
    Wrong impression. People play whatever and however they want to play. They did so on retail when we didn't know how the heck to tackle things, they did so on private servers, where a lot of the so called "elitist" youtube content creators like myself got a really GOOD first hand taste of how horrible raids can be when people are simply screwing around instead of at least doing minimal effort, and they so in classic.

Just don't expect people to have any regard for someone who wants to play a boomie with no consumables, mediocre gear and no desire to get world buffs. That's an example but Classic vanilla has specs that are simply bad like that.

Burning Crusade will be different. There are no world buffs, consumables are considerably easier to get and far less impactful overall, and virtually all specs and classes minus rogues have a role in raids ( and rogues do too with t6 gear ) even if those roles are limited.

P.S. Creating video guides on optimal raid class/spec setups does not make you an elitist, nor are people elitists because they want to play raids well and do them quickly and efficiently.
    Last edited by CostinR; 2020-10-11 at 03:49 PM.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

So I am making this post because I am interested in getting into classic wow, since I started wow in wrath and I am kinda interested in experiencing the game pre-wrath. However the more I look into Classic wow the more discouraged I get.
    I am one of those people who "play for fun", yeah *gasp* he said the no-no word.. I don't really care much at all about min-maxing, the "holy" meta and reducing a game that's meant to be fun to numbers. "Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."
    I see a lot of "extreme" (from my PoV) min-maxing and general elitism going on around like "this and that will never be taken into raids/dungeons" and "You have to be fully buffed with flasks, potions, world buffs etc etc for every single raid all the time" etc.
    I mean from my understanding none of this is actually necessary unless you're raiding like super hardcore to clear bosses in 20sec and I just don't really care to play like this and with people with this attitude. It is just so incredibly tedious and tiresome to me.
    So I guess what I am asking is; are there guilds and groups who play more casually and are more lenient in their approach to raids, "the meta", classes and how they do content? My impression is that everybody now plays with this mindset due to youtube content made primarily by private server elitists who gave the average player the impression that this how they have to play. I don't really care to spend a whole lot of time, money and effort on the game if it is going to be this way for the rest of classic and through TBC.
    Personally my recomendation is avoid classic like the plauge.

Wow classic has a very toxic community, it drew back in a specific type of elitist gamer, the type that dosnt actualy have any skill but has an abundance of free time due to having very little else going on in there life, a type that started getting pushed out of the game in cata when the top tier of raiding started getting actualy mechanically difficult.

Now there are elitist in retail, difference is the community is better segregated, the top 1% play with the top 1% and tbh there not as toxic as there reputation though I have met some who are i met a very nasty bunch who came for my under rot 15 key when farming them was a thing and they did nothing but shit on me and I was half way cleared in mythic at that point.

But normally those guys play amongst them selves and the smi hard-core amongst them selves and the casuals amongst them selves e.t.c and each community has its way of filtering out only like minded players, which is why the elitist player who dosnt actualy have the skill to move up often find them selves pushed out of the game nowadays.

But in classic there is no such social mechanisms, the boss's are easy so there's no reality check for bad players with elitist mentality and due to the raid sizes and smaller player base communitys are forced to interact and thus though the % of elitist are the same the frequency of interaction with them is higher. The elitist tend to take over the guilds and how the game is played as well, and every one has to follow there rules often times and that just spoils the whole thing as classic isn't a game that works well when taken that seriously, as it just trivialises already trivial content.

If your set on playing this abortion though, best bet is pick a smaller server and try to find a casual guild that purges elitists like most retail causal and smi hard-core guilds do on retail, and avoid any realm that has or used to have streamers on it as thats a whole norther level of toxic. Most streamers have ditched the game now bar a few fanatics but they have left cores of simps on the servers they were on.

Any way that's my advice, the short and sweet of it is, don't bother the games not worth the time investment, picking up a game on steam is cheaper and far more enjoyable

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nilinor View Post
    Find a medium or smaller server, and go there to play. The more people around, the more elitist the groups/guilds get, the less people around, the more casual it is.
    That is indeed the benefit of having hard walls between servers and "server community."

If Faerlina goes full toxic, it doesn't leak out much and infect the entire game.

My server nobody talks about meta really. Aside for asking when the next head drop will be. We have 2, maybe 3, actual hardcore prog guilds and that's it. And it's not a dead server by any means, just very casual.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I play for fun too, just what we consider fun is different. I enjoy challenging content and playing at a high level, that's fun for me. If I'm not parsing atleast 80%, then I try to correct what's wrong and improve my parses so I'm hopefully 90% or higher.

It really is arrogant to claim people aren't having fun unless they're playing the same way as you. It's like saying someone wants to eat healthy. That's vague. Healthy can be losing weight, offsetting chronic illnesses, increasing bone/muscle density or delaying dementia. If you enjoy playing at a mediocre level, then that's your choice and if you're happy, then even better. But that doesn't mean someone isn't enjoying themselves just because they like to try hard and play at a high level. Claiming so just slanders people who do try and makes you out to be a judgmental snob.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Hey, I know a guild that will recruit you. They are on herod. They don't require world buffs, flasks or anything that resembles sweatiness. They just take three hours to get through AQ40 and have yet to kill ouro and visc. So if you enjoy long raids go over to herod and look up any casual guild

No, they "literally" aren't. You can play however the fuck you want and nobody can stop you. That said, if you're shit at the game, playing an off-meta spec, or in general not trying very hard then other people can not invite you to their group which is 100% their right to do so, regardless of how you feel about it. Also, I'd strongly suggest you literally look up the definition of the word literally because it literally doesn't mean what you literally think it means. Literally.

Like I said, if you want to find a casual guild full of old people who have the reaction times of a barrel of sedated kittens I'm sure you'll find one eventually. They do exist, I have no idea why you want to create this narrative that "all guilds" are full of elitist shitbags.

Also, cute that you'd mention my profile picture. Got any other low hanging fruit you'd like to throw at me?
    Btw there is no relation to being slow or how you approach the game and age.

- - - Updated - - -

This is like most asenine, stupid and misinformed opinion I can see in the community.

Everybody, including yourself would be better off if you stopped playing the game.

Your approach would only be justified if people should look at their team members as only tools to achieve their own goals.

Thats not teamwork, that just ego nonsense.

If you are willing to sell your soul to satan to become optimal for your guild, then go ahead, but don't even try to encourage such stupid behavior on to other people.

And its not even necessary to enjoy the content. But thats a whole new topic of discussion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Personally my recomendation is avoid classic like the plauge.

Wow classic has a very toxic community, it drew back in a specific type of elitist gamer, the type that dosnt actualy have any skill but has an abundance of free time due to having very little else going on in there life, a type that started getting pushed out of the game in cata when the top tier of raiding started getting actualy mechanically difficult.

Now there are elitist in retail, difference is the community is better segregated, the top 1% play with the top 1% and tbh there not as toxic as there reputation though I have met some who are i met a very nasty bunch who came for my under rot 15 key when farming them was a thing and they did nothing but shit on me and I was half way cleared in mythic at that point.

But normally those guys play amongst them selves and the smi hard-core amongst them selves and the casuals amongst them selves e.t.c and each community has its way of filtering out only like minded players, which is why the elitist player who dosnt actualy have the skill to move up often find them selves pushed out of the game nowadays.

But in classic there is no such social mechanisms, the boss's are easy so there's no reality check for bad players with elitist mentality and due to the raid sizes and smaller player base communitys are forced to interact and thus though the % of elitist are the same the frequency of interaction with them is higher. The elitist tend to take over the guilds and how the game is played as well, and every one has to follow there rules often times and that just spoils the whole thing as classic isn't a game that works well when taken that seriously, as it just trivialises already trivial content.

If your set on playing this abortion though, best bet is pick a smaller server and try to find a casual guild that purges elitists like most retail causal and smi hard-core guilds do on retail, and avoid any realm that has or used to have streamers on it as thats a whole norther level of toxic. Most streamers have ditched the game now bar a few fanatics but they have left cores of simps on the servers they were on.

Any way that's my advice, the short and sweet of it is, don't bother the games not worth the time investment, picking up a game on steam is cheaper and far more enjoyable
    Thanks for your post. It was very informative.

This was my feeling as well when I played clasdic when it came out.

I found the min maxing game off putting to. It is one thing when it's for challenging content another for things you just instantly crush.

I understand that the classic-meta is kinda dumb, because its a game that doesnt require any skill of whatsoever, every encounter can be cleared by auto attacking, yet you have to put in the effort everyone else is putting in to even be considered for a spot.

I read this online in chat all the time. Guilds calling themselves "funguilds". "We are a fun guild looking for a players who want to have fun". I get a little triggered reading this all the time, because it implies that you are so arrogant and think that everyone else is not having fun. Why would it be fun for me to be bad at a game? Why would I not pick a covenant over the other thats 20% better? Because its not fun to suck. Its not fun to make a bad choice for my character. I know retail for example has 36 specs, but in reality there always is and always will be one best. I personally do not understand why I would play anything else then the best.

Its not about catering to flavor of the month, its about enjoying myself for not doing as bad as people who may have made a worse choice then me. People are really stressed out about all these choices the game is giving them, even classic is, if you dont play the meta, there are countless ways to play, but in reality, blizzard decides what you should play during a certain patch or expansion. Blizzard and blizzard alone. And that can be fun. Why would it not be fun to be good and use the best choice provided to me? Why would I have fun being worse than others?

You get the idea. Play whatever you want but dont imply that people who dont play casual are not having fun. Quite the contrary.

15+ Year Old Account
    It'll be interesting to see Classic implode on it's self after Naxx has been out for a few weeks and the general playerbase realizes that not everyone is going to be able to run it.
    Can you make all the world buff requirements, consumable requirements and flask each week? Then can you also meet the raid times, which includes 3 raids? Can you put up with 40 people even still? Not to mention, can you even get into a Naxx guild once they ramp up the recruitment requirements? Imagine running 3 raids a week and you're not eligible for loot in any of them for the first 3 weeks for no actual reason.

Lmao Classic has so much proverbial red tape to actually raid, I myself played 12 hours a day back in Vanilla just to meet the requirements, at 17 or however old I was.
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    It'll be interesting to see Classic implode on it's self after Naxx has been out for a few weeks and the general playerbase realizes that not everyone is going to be able to run it.
    Can you make all the world buff requirements, consumable requirements and flask each week? Then can you also meet the raid times, which includes 3 raids? Can you put up with 40 people even still? Not to mention, can you even get into a Naxx guild once they ramp up the recruitment requirements? Imagine running 3 raids a week and you're not eligible for loot in any of them for the first 3 weeks for no actual reason.

Lmao Classic has so much proverbial red tape to actually raid, I myself played 12 hours a day back in Vanilla just to meet the requirements, at 17 or however old I was.
    Good luck!
    This is already happening in P5. I know guilds that still take three hours to even kill cthun and they stop with ouro and visc still up. They raid bwl on off nights with pugs because tanks/healers don't need shit. They have asperations of clearing naxx even though they are terrible at AQ40

So I am making this post because I am interested in getting into classic wow, since I started wow in wrath and I am kinda interested in experiencing the game pre-wrath. However the more I look into Classic wow the more discouraged I get.
    I am one of those people who "play for fun", yeah *gasp* he said the no-no word.. I don't really care much at all about min-maxing, the "holy" meta and reducing a game that's meant to be fun to numbers. "Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game."
    I see a lot of "extreme" (from my PoV) min-maxing and general elitism going on around like "this and that will never be taken into raids/dungeons" and "You have to be fully buffed with flasks, potions, world buffs etc etc for every single raid all the time" etc.
    I mean from my understanding none of this is actually necessary unless you're raiding like super hardcore to clear bosses in 20sec and I just don't really care to play like this and with people with this attitude. It is just so incredibly tedious and tiresome to me.
    So I guess what I am asking is; are there guilds and groups who play more casually and are more lenient in their approach to raids, "the meta", classes and how they do content? My impression is that everybody now plays with this mindset due to youtube content made primarily by private server elitists who gave the average player the impression that this how they have to play. I don't really care to spend a whole lot of time, money and effort on the game if it is going to be this way for the rest of classic and through TBC.
    Even on the largest servers you WILL find casual but serious guilds. Actually, you will find every kind of guild! Logs is a good place to look if you want to identify guilds on a server that fit your needs. On a high population server you can find a solid guild in the top 10 list speed runs or other wise. You can even find NO WORD BUFF guilds and Gold DKP guilds ..