Highest monitor with GTX1660 Super for wow

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a GTX1660 super, just so I can play on Shadowlands on max graphics settings.

For the time being I have a 1080p/60Hz monitor.

2 Questions:

1. Will this GPU handle max graphics at every environment (even raids etc with a lot of stuff happening)?
    2. What is the highest monitor upgrade I can do and still be able to have max graphics settings at every environment with this GPU?

Thanks

WoW is more about the number of addons you play with (In my case I use over 100), and settings. You can not really expect to play wow at 1080p and have 200 FPS in raids with 20 people no matter the specs. At least I dont think any system can play wow high settings and utilize that 144-240 hz screen Playing alone is of course much easier.

With your GPU I would just buy a good entry level ISP 144 hz screen. Worry more about its color accuracy, brightness and that type of stuff. Also I would stick with 24 inch for 1080p, maybe 27 inch. But 100% get 144 HZ screen with a good ISP LG panel or whatever
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

wow is strange if we talk about performance because its an mmo with a lot of cpu calculations involved especially in pvp or raid environment

that gpu should be enough for max settings if you have fast CPU like i5 8600k or newer but it may spike under 60 on big bgs/raids
    1080p 60fps will be fine overall, you can turn down some settings and go for 1080 144hz or 1440 60fps

Not even a 2080 can get a constant +100 FPS in 10 quality, and since 1-3 has the most noticeable graphical change, the rest not so much, I recommend going 7 and turning off some demanding settings and you will afford going for a 144Hz monitor while keeping a gorgeous world as well as a fluid gameplay.
    Does anybody go 10 quality anyways these days? Unless you have an ultrawide 1440p monitor with a dual 2080Ti to run it.
    144Hz 1080p 25" with a 1660 Super seems to be the perfect balance for me so far, but it is above most budgets.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can probably get 1440p60 out of that gpu in WoW. Or you could get a 1080p 120-144hz monitor and enjoy higher fps, though it will of course dip in raids.

1440p would be fine on the 1660 (for WoW).

However, youll always dip below 60 in busy situations. Probably not for long, but itll happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hekazi View Post
    Does anybody go 10 quality anyways these days? Unless you have an ultrawide 1440p monitor with a dual 2080Ti to run it.
    This wouldn't do you any good. WoW's performance constraints are entirely based around the CPU.

I have a 1080Ti FTW3 from EVGA, and i can easily do 5k(1440p @ 2x render scale)/ultra/setting 7 on sliders at well over 100fps most of the time. Lower in cities and raids, and still dips beloow 60 in really intense situations - on an 8600K at 5ghz.

If i move the sliders up to 9 or 10, it obliterates my fps, even on 1440p (non-scaled).

Its a CPU issue, not a GPU issue. And one that cant be fixed.

Both new gpus, and more importantly for WoW, Cpu's are about to be announced, so buying a 1660 is probably a poor idea. So unless you can't wait, don't get one. However 1440p screens in rather high refreshrates are becoming pretty affordable so I'd recommend something in that resolution as even playing one on lower res upscaled tends to look better still than a bogstandard 1080p panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Heffladin View Post
    Both new gpus, and more importantly for WoW, Cpu's are about to be announced, so buying a 1660 is probably a poor idea. So unless you can't wait, don't get one. However 1440p screens in rather high refreshrates are becoming pretty affordable so I'd recommend something in that resolution as even playing one on lower res upscaled tends to look better still than a bogstandard 1080p panel.
    Since he is looking at 1660, it means he does not have a big budget for any of the rtx 3000 coming out before end of the year. A chance would be to get a 2000 series if the prices drop, but it looks like the prices for the 3000 series are, in reality, much higher than the MSRP so I don't have highe hopes for cheaper 2060, 2070 or 2080's. As far as CPU goes, I don't know what novelties are coming, I didn't keep an eye on them.

Quote Originally Posted by DeusX View Post
    Since he is looking at 1660, it means he does not have a big budget for any of the rtx 3000 coming out before end of the year. A chance would be to get a 2000 series if the prices drop, but it looks like the prices for the 3000 series are, in reality, much higher than the MSRP so I don't have highe hopes for cheaper 2060, 2070 or 2080's. As far as CPU goes, I don't know what novelties are coming, I didn't keep an eye on them.
    Apparently the 11th gen of intel CPUs is going to be a big one, according to the following video (about 50% faster from the 10th gen) so I will probably wait to see their prices before I buy a new CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vaVH0SJa3s

Set graphics to 10, but turn reflection and shadows down one from the max.

Then play at 1440p with a nice 144Hz GSync monitor, and never worry about framerate choppiness again.

Quote Originally Posted by gushDH View Post
    Apparently the 11th gen of intel CPUs is going to be a big one, according to the following video (about 50% faster from the 10th gen) so I will probably wait to see their prices before I buy a new CPU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vaVH0SJa3s
    Intel CPU gains since Warlords of Dreanor launched 6 years ago:
    https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...790/4077vs2293

Using history as a guide, there may not be a performance reason to wait for one generation to the next, unlike GPUs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    Using history as a guide, there may not be a performance reason to wait for one generation to the next, unlike GPUs.
    Rumor that AMD's next GPU is better than RTX 3000 series.
    Next year will be great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    Rumor that AMD's next GPU is better than RTX 3000 series.
    Next year will be great.
    Yeah, and there were rumours that the VEGA 7 would be better than Nvidia's offerings too
    And the Vega 64
    And the RX5700xt

And none of them were.
    I'm not expecting AMD to compete at 3080/3090 levels, but they might win against the 3070 on price/performance

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I'm not expecting AMD to compete at 3080/3090 levels, but they might win against the 3070 on price/performance
    Yeah, and the black screens ratio too.

I have a 1660 Super and a 1080p144hz monitor. It depends on your CPU but you will get like 100 fps in the open world and like 60 in raids. Also a 144hz monitor is totally worth it not just for WoW or gaming in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have this card. 2 answers:
    1) No
    2) You not rly need upgrade. To get any benefits you need a better card.

p.s. i7-8700/32gb + SSD
    and still have fps drop to 10 on big packs on islands

Like others said, 144hz will look better in general, even desktop apps will be super fluid, but that's about it in regard to WoW. This game is not so dependent on response time, you don't have time windows of milliseconds magnitude to see something and take action like shooters do.

whatever you do, get a 144hz screen with adaptive sync (gsync or freesync). imo buy a 1440p screen and turn down graphics a tad, you'll get around 100 fps in most situations.