Mage solo at shadowlands

Hello everyone,

I love ranged dps and I always enjoyed playing mage. But I find myself playing more and more solo and it can be really tedious for many open world fights. I tried to level a warlock and it feels so good to let your pet tanks everything and blast from afar. And yet I really don't like raiding and Mythics with warlock.

My question is, for those who have tried the beta, how does it feel playing your mage? Is it possible to solo 3+ quests and rares without out gearing them? And how does torghast feel?
    Thank you for your feedback.

Sorry for language mistakes, English is not my first language. (And don't hesitate to point the mistakes, it's always good to learn!)

As with many things it depends on if you can slow them. Mirror Image is made baseline again, so that will offer quite a lot when it comes to soloing big mobs. Torgast is also balanced around every class, and it is right now, then as long as you pass the first few stages the rest is a cakewalk.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    As with many things it depends on if you can slow them. Mirror Image is made baseline again, so that will offer quite a lot when it comes to soloing big mobs. Torgast is also balanced around every class, and it is right now, then as long as you pass the first few stages the rest is a cakewalk.
    That's interesting about Mirror Image, I've not actually read anything about Mages so I might have to have a look!

OT: I play Fire and apart from really tough mobs never really have too much trouble with soloing 3+ quests and rares.

as arcane all mobs to 60-70k (weak elites) hp you can do it without CDs, mobs with 100-120k hp (normal elites) you can solo with CDs (without TW), rares have ~500k++ hp and without tank can kill you... as frost you have some chance but if you pull 1 or 2 more mobs you are dead.

Alright I hadn’t even tried arcane cause I never see them in dungeons but I guess I should try 30-40 as arcane and see how I like it!

Kodi nox
    Last edited by jeokaleo; 2021-02-07 at 05:17 PM.

Outdoor stuff you probably won't run into issues (count off outdoor bosses). If necessary, jump to frost and anything melee goes down, although can be slow and boring as anything.
    I find mage soloing rather tedious as you're facetanking to some degree without being a facetank class. Leads to effective time "wasted" in kiting and recovery. Same applies to torghast, very well doable as a solo mage, but I find it just being an unpleasant grind.
    In group content much more pleasant experience overall.

Quote Originally Posted by ifrah View Post
    Outdoor stuff you probably won't run into issues (count off outdoor bosses). If necessary, jump to frost and anything melee goes down, although can be slow and boring as anything.
    I find mage soloing rather tedious as you're facetanking to some degree without being a facetank class. Leads to effective time "wasted" in kiting and recovery. Same applies to torghast, very well doable as a solo mage, but I find it just being an unpleasant grind.
    In group content much more pleasant experience overall.
    yeah good post agreed

This was exactly what I came here to ask: Since mages are squishy, are we supposed to kite when possible, or do we have to stand toe to toe and take the hits? Kiting means you have to be very aware of repops behind you that can stick you with pointy things right in the small of the back.

Since I missed all of BfA my mage is still level 45 and will have to catch up doing Timewalking (most likely in Legion). I never got the Fire artifact so I'll have to level in Frost or Arcane until I can get a non-specialization weapon.

But anyway, I gather that your take on the mage is, "kite if you can, stand toe to toe if you must?" Since mobs charge and charge and can be right back on top of you before you finish casting, I'm not really sure how often to try and kite, especially if I'm not in Frost spec. Am I just being too much of a scaredy-cat after not playing the game in so long?

Quote Originally Posted by HollyCarp View Post
    This was exactly what I came here to ask: Since mages are squishy, are we supposed to kite when possible, or do we have to stand toe to toe and take the hits? Kiting means you have to be very aware of repops behind you that can stick you with pointy things right in the small of the back.

Since I missed all of BfA my mage is still level 45 and will have to catch up doing Timewalking (most likely in Legion). I never got the Fire artifact so I'll have to level in Frost or Arcane until I can get a non-specialization weapon.

But anyway, I gather that your take on the mage is, "kite if you can, stand toe to toe if you must?" Since mobs charge and charge and can be right back on top of you before you finish casting, I'm not really sure how often to try and kite, especially if I'm not in Frost spec. Am I just being too much of a scaredy-cat after not playing the game in so long?
    It’s more of a “tank if you can, kite if you must” thing. Especially for leveling, you’ll just have to figure out what you can kill with and without cooldowns and kiting. It’s tedious, but still doable.

Better play lock for that, you can even solo 600k hp mobs, its just tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Edoll View Post
    It’s more of a “tank if you can, kite if you must” thing. .
    This is spot on.

I have 199 ilvl, and as a fire mage, I mostly tank. Only when I encounter the 600k-ish rares do I need to run around and have to put thought into it. But even then, there's nothing in the open world that gives me problems.

Honestly, you're overthinking it.

Arcane mage is probably one of the best non-pet leveling specs around at the moment.

Just run around with 4 stacks of arcane blast and basically oneshot every single mob you see. Not many classes can kill faster than a leveling arcane mage. You get downside every now and then, but you don't have to drink every 5 mobs. Mana regens fast at lower levels and you have many tools to just postpone it as long as possible.

Mobs won't kill you, unless if you pull 10 mobs without mana. (if you have mana, arcane AOE is also phenomenal while leveling tbh. Just have to make sure to use your shields/frost Nova/blink in an intelligent way.

Frost or fire are much slower to level with imo. You never have to take breaks, but mobs take 3-4 globals to kill in stead of 1, max 2 globals.

Could some one tell me more about arcane mage! I am going to have a try for loving it.

Regards
    james

5+ Year Old Account
    Very easy as Arcane or Frost. Mirror images are quite tanky. Ice blocks and barriers can heal you. You don’t need much gear.

Mana regens fast at lower levels and you have many tools to just postpone it as long as possible.
    Last edited by alishakihn; 2023-07-03 at 03:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by alishakihn View Post
    Mana regens fast at lower levels and you have many tools to just postpone it as long as possible.
    You’ve gone and dug up a corpse, this post is over 2 years old
    Quote Originally Posted by Iliyra View Post
    And yet here we are.