Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Covenants system is pointless

After having looked more at the cov system, and seen people use it, I think the system offers zero meaningful character customization. besides the active ability, there is almost no difference between every conduit inside of the weak soulbind system. and the covs aren't even meaningful choices, they are simply "Do I gimp myself in M+ to excel in raids?". What's funny is, a system that has been so adamantly defended by casuals, actually harms casuals the most because they will be the ones with less effective characters in 2/3 game modes at any given time while top players will having 3 characters per class taking the best Cov for every game mode. The system is pointless

Why do covs even exist?

Quote Originally Posted by ShiyoKozuki View Post
    Why do covs even exist?
    Because blizzard have it in their heads that they are good at designing new systems and the covenant one is just another idea in a long list of systems that no one asked for.

Why do covs even exist?
    To provide new expansion flavour and offer yet another time sink.

Because it sounded like a good idea on paper. Blizzard then patted themselves on their back for another amazing system.
    Then variables starting pop up that kinda worsen the experience for the players, these later complained and Blizzard dug their heels in. They then proceeded to attempt to mold it into somewhat of a functional state.

After having looked more at the cov system, and seen people use it, I think the system offers zero meaningful character customization. besides the active ability, there is almost no difference between every conduit inside of the weak soulbind system. and the covs aren't even meaningful choices, they are simply "Do I gimp myself in M+ to excel in raids?". What's funny is, a system that has been so adamantly defended by casuals, actually harms casuals the most because they will be the ones with less effective characters in 2/3 game modes at any given time while top players will having 3 characters per class taking the best Cov for every game mode. The system is pointless

Why do covs even exist?
    Casuals aren’t competing with mythic raiders, so calling attention to how much better off mythic raiders is going to be is stupid.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Stood in the Fire october breeze's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Why do covs even exist?
    Because Ion once was thinking in bath tub, about the cosmos, dark matter and black holes. He suddenly inspired by the the theory of "fuckology of a nerd mind in charge". Running out of the bath tub completely naked, he was shouting "Covenants, Covenants..., I found Covenants". Since then, he is been the father of fuckagamehardism which is a new era ideology of universal time metric or something like that. No one quite understands him, but some think he is pretty great!
    That's why!!

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    Casuals aren’t competing with mythic raiders, so calling attention to how much better off mythic raiders is going to be is stupid.
    Most mythic raiders are casual.

Quote Originally Posted by Very rare pepe View Post
    Because blizzard have it in their heads that they are good at designing new systems and the covenant one is just another idea in a long list of systems that no one asked for.

Cant argue with this. Although I'd add that Covenants are pointless. Where is the RPG choice Ion has shoved down our throats. Every beta tester says there are zero RPG elements?

Imagine if they put the amount of effort that affects class balance from new systems into actual talents, abilities and more permanent ways to strengthen your character. I get it, putting a point into "chance to increase haste by 60" or giving *everyone* the same new ability or some other boring stuff is really fun and rewarding. Definitely not a "easier to balance" thing.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

10+ Year Old Account

Why do covs even exist?
    People complain that the game doesn't feel like a RPG anymore
    People complain that the Devs add more RPG feel

Sorry I'm not a casual...but I'm also not gonna lie and pretend I'm some hardcore top 1% record chaser like most people on these forums pretend to be.

Why do covs even exist?
    You did good almost all the way through. Presented everything as your subjective opinion except the conclusion: "The system is pointless". Thats a factual statement based on subjective opinions. If only you had kept your last statement as your personal opinion you would be absolutely right. Allthough that would defeat the premise of your thread i assume.
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    People complain that the game doesn't feel like a RPG anymore
    People complain that the Devs add more RPG feel

Sorry I'm not a casual...but I'm also not gonna lie and pretend I'm some hardcore top 1% record chaser like most people on these forums pretend to be.
    But this is the general misunderstanding right here... the covenants doesn't add much RPG to the game at all.

Blizzard have sold the covenants as this great RPG element and a lot of people blindly believe them. But everyone who has played on the beta knows that this is not true. The covenants can basically be boiled down to transmog, some quests and two abilities. This is not meaningful at all. If the covenants were meaningful in terms of RPG they would have some consequences in relation to the open world. If they were meaningful in terms of RPG they would have synergy and interaction with the open world. But they don't. You are not going to notice or feel your covenant in most aspects of the game. You are not going to feel like a Venthyr or a Kyrian when you walk around the world because your choice won't change anything in relation to that experience. The covenants are a marketing hoax just like Island Expeditions and Warfronts were. Sadly.

Because the only ones who really are against it, is some few elitists circle jerks that have preordered the game anyways?

They are also the ones crying the laudest and they do it ever xpac.

Everyone else will just enjoy the covenants as some extra bonus.

5+ Year Old Account
    Oh boy another one of these posts. People really can't post their own stuff onto the other 20 posts about the covenants being useless.

No seriously, Why make a thread that people ALREADY have going. There's like 20 of them.

Covenants will be pointless for 9.1 and maybe even 9.2. By 9.3 They will be great and you'll be able to switch between them without problem.
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    If the covenants were meaningful in terms of RPG they would have some consequences in relation to the open world. If they were meaningful in terms of RPG they would have synergy and interaction with the open world. But they don't. You are not going to notice or feel your covenant in most aspects of the game. You are not going to feel like a Venthyr or a Kyrian when you walk around the world because your choice won't change anything in relation to that experience. The covenants are a marketing hoax just like Island Expeditions and Warfronts were. Sadly.
    It's going to change where you hang out for a good chunk of your time. Your zone will have extra interactions like the mirror portals in Revendreth, making you more at home. Dungeons aren't the open world, but your choice will be meaningful when you can buff the party or unlock a shortcut for your group.

Quote Originally Posted by Inukashi View Post
    Because the only ones who really are against it, is some few elitists circle jerks that have preordered the game anyways?

They are also the ones crying the laudest and they do it ever xpac.

Everyone else will just enjoy the covenants as some extra bonus.
    This is false.

The people who are against the covenants are people who have played the beta and know that Blizzard have sold the covenants based on fallacies.

The majority of the playerbase just haven't experienced the covenants yet so they don't know any better. But they will once the game releases. The covenants are nothing close to what Blizzard said they would be and this is going to disappoint a lot of people. The truth is that the few "elitists circle jerks" as you call them, wont even care about the covenants because they are just going to work around them. The people who will get upset are the normal players who expect to get a meaningful RP choice because this is what Blizzard have told them they would get. Just like they told the normal players that Island Expeditions and Warfronts were going to be awesome. But they weren't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GringoD View Post
    It's going to change where you hang out for a good chunk of your time. Your zone will have extra interactions like the mirror portals in Revendreth, making you more at home. Dungeons aren't the open world, but your choice will be meaningful when you can buff the party or unlock a shortcut for your group.
    And after 2 weeks you wont even notice this stuff. You can make it sound good on paper, like Blizzard are doing, but in practice you wont feel any difference in relation to RP. This is nothing close to what Blizzard said it would be. A base and a few portals is nowhere near enough open world interaction to corresponding with what Blizzard sold it as.

Dungeon buff are fine and all.. but it still isn't a very impactful rp element to the game.

If my covenant is going to feel meaningful then I want to feel like a Venthyr everywhere I go. It should have a much larger impact on the experience I have through the whole expansion. But right now it looks to be a pick and forget which is sad.
    Last edited by Kaver; 2020-09-21 at 07:10 AM.

But this is the general misunderstanding right here... the covenants doesn't add much RPG to the game at all.

Blizzard have sold the covenants as this great RPG element and a lot of people blindly believe them. But everyone who has played on the beta knows that this is not true. The covenants can basically be boiled down to transmog, some quests and two abilities. This is not meaningful at all. If the covenants were meaningful in terms of RPG they would have some consequences in relation to the open world. If they were meaningful in terms of RPG they would have synergy and interaction with the open world. But they don't. You are not going to notice or feel your covenant in most aspects of the game. You are not going to feel like a Venthyr or a Kyrian when you walk around the world because your choice won't change anything in relation to that experience. The covenants are a marketing hoax just like Island Expeditions and Warfronts were. Sadly.
    The active ability, transmog, mount and utility ability are all CORE RPG elements.

No seriously.

RP is pretty much done by players themselves and this gives the players a better way to identify their characters with a specific storyline.

Do I kinda wish that they'd just said screw it and added another talent row?

Yeah.

Am I happier though seeing all the angry nerd tears about how mean Blizzard is and everyone so upset that they won't "pull the ripcord?"

Oh, you betcha.

Keep covenants.

And after 2 weeks you wont even notice this stuff. You can make it sound good on paper, like Blizzard are doing, but in practice you wont feel any difference in relation to RP. This is nothing close to what Blizzard said it would be. A base and a few portals is nowhere near enough open world interaction to corresponding with what Blizzard sold it as.
    You seriously telling me you won't notice yourself being way faster in your own zone? Or won't have in the back of your mind that you're a rare commodity in Theater of Pain and Plaguefall?
    Funny guy. Claims there are no interactions, then pivots to downplay those that get mentioned.

This is false.

The people who are against the covenants are people who have played the beta and know that Blizzard have sold the covenants based on fallacies.

The majority of the playerbase just haven't experienced the covenants yet so they don't know any better.
    Forgive me if I'm wrong, but it kinda sounds more like someone is parroting Preach.
    My circles in beta are complaining more about class balance than the covenants.

Quote Originally Posted by october breeze View Post
    Because Ion once was thinking in bath tub, about the cosmos, dark matter and black holes. He suddenly inspired by the the theory of "fuckology of a nerd mind in charge". Running out of the bath tub completely naked, he was shouting "Covenants, Covenants..., I found Covenants". Since then, he is been the father of fuckagamehardism which is a new era ideology of universal time metric or something like that. No one quite understands him, but some think he is pretty great!
    That's why!!
    *backs away to a safe distance outside of immediately lunging reach*

I think you might need to, depending on where you live, either go outside and get some air, or stay inside more to avoid breathing whatever bad shit is in your air.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.