Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Could Anduin become the next Lich King? <Potential Spoilers>

There were several callbacks in the BfA cinematics that likened Anduin to Arthas. Enough of them to cause some to theorize that Anduin may not be Varian's son, but Arthas'. In Shadows Rising, Anduin both justified the use of Turalyon and Alleria's interrogation methods and demonstrated some darker power of his own towards the end of the book. One could draw the parallel between Anduin's attitude towards the interrogations and Arthas' attitude towards the Culling of Stratholme. We also know that Anduin remains in the Maw after the other faction leaders were rescued, and we have a datamined repaired Helm of Domination. Assuming Terenas Menethil was correct when he said there must always be a Lich King, could it end up being Anduin making the sacrifice play for the good of Azeroth?

The safe assumption is that Bolvar will resume his duties, and a farfetched option would be Arthas somehow reclaiming the Frozen Throne. But what if the third (and admittedly even more farfetched option) is Anduin taking the helm and infusing it with the Light? We have a lightforged undead, and Bolvar himself turned the crystal in the helm orange with dragon fire when he first donned it. We also have an example of Anduin infusing Shalamayne with the Light rather than the red rage color when Varian held it. I admit it's a VERY big stretch, just curious if anyone else has thought of it.

Signs point to no.

Given he is just a normal human old man when leading the army of the light.

Though i suspect he might spend some time in the Shadowlands.

Anduin needs to have a traumatic event before he becomes a Paladin. I don't want to see the same plot line unfold and him become a deathknight. I wouldn't mind him straying off onto a dark path, but I do believe Anduin should/would be able to recover. If people were really interested in him becoming another Arthas I wouldn't care that much... I just think they could do something new and fun instead. I heard he was struggling a bit in the new novel, but I didn't read that one.

I think the Light protects Anduin from this possibility. I think if Anduin infused the helm with light, it would harm Death because Light is an opposing cosmic force. I don't know any Death aligned characters who would want that. I kind of hope the station is replaced entirely with something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Mestalis View Post
    I think the Light protects Anduin from this possibility. I think if Anduin infused the helm with light, it would harm Death because Light is an opposing cosmic force. I don't know any Death aligned characters who would want that. I kind of hope the station is replaced entirely with something new.
    Life is the opposing cosmic force.
    The opposing cosmic force for Light is the Void.

Theres no doubt all of those parallels and hints are deliberate, but I don't think they are trying to tell us he's going to become the lich king. To me it's more of a Voldemort/Tom Riddle vs Harry Potter. Very similar people, one went to the dark side, one to the light side.

If anything I can see them playing this up as if there was some sort of prophecy of the light where a young human paladin becomes king and brings about some event, but it was unfulfilled because of the Nathrezim frostmourne foil (may or may not be on purpose). If they are lining up the Light vs Void as a future battle - they are both based on prophecies and visions (void is many visions, light is one singular vision).

Quote Originally Posted by GrimReaper673 View Post
    There were several callbacks in the BfA cinematics that likened Anduin to Arthas. Enough of them to cause some to theorize that Anduin may not be Varian's son, but Arthas'. In Shadows Rising, Anduin both justified the use of Turalyon and Alleria's interrogation methods and demonstrated some darker power of his own towards the end of the book. One could draw the parallel between Anduin's attitude towards the interrogations and Arthas' attitude towards the Culling of Stratholme. We also know that Anduin remains in the Maw after the other faction leaders were rescued, and we have a datamined repaired Helm of Domination. Assuming Terenas Menethil was correct when he said there must always be a Lich King, could it end up being Anduin making the sacrifice play for the good of Azeroth?

The safe assumption is that Bolvar will resume his duties, and a farfetched option would be Arthas somehow reclaiming the Frozen Throne. But what if the third (and admittedly even more farfetched option) is Anduin taking the helm and infusing it with the Light? We have a lightforged undead, and Bolvar himself turned the crystal in the helm orange with dragon fire when he first donned it. We also have an example of Anduin infusing Shalamayne with the Light rather than the red rage color when Varian held it. I admit it's a VERY big stretch, just curious if anyone else has thought of it.
    The whole idea of "Lich King" and "jailer of the damned" was killed the moment Sylvanas broke the Helm of Domination. It's that thing that kept the undead in check, not the Lich King. The Lich King controlled the undead through the helm.

why is it so important that there is always a lichking? i mean the scourge can't be that hard to terminate right now when our heroes are titan killer/old god killer. just wipe out all of the scourge and then we dont need a lichking right?

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    The whole idea of "Lich King" and "jailer of the damned" was killed the moment Sylvanas broke the Helm of Domination. It's that thing that kept the undead in check, not the Lich King. The Lich King controlled the undead through the helm.
    Agreed. But as I said, a repaired version has been datamined. So it would stand to reason that someone would have to wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    Signs point to no.

Given he is just a normal human old man when leading the army of the light.

Though i suspect he might spend some time in the Shadowlands.
    I think people are treating that vision where Anduin's an old man fighting the Legion as something that can never ever be changed or retconned
    So I wouldn't really say that's the only reason he couldn't become the next Lich King
    Last edited by Your Mommy; 2020-10-08 at 12:53 PM.

Agreed. But as I said, a repaired version has been datamined. So it would stand to reason that someone would have to wear it.
    95% sure the Jailer will use it during the final boss fight

hmm... no. /10c

5+ Year Old Account
    Let's see. Well if he suddenly decides his own city must be purged, and decides to kill everyone over a plague, oh and some how reforges the Helm of Domination (Which likely will be reforged this expack after being Super Saiyen ripped by the Mustache twirling villain known as Sylvanas.) and Frostmourne somehow. Then yeah. He could totally become the next LK. But wont happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrinara View Post
    Let's see. Well if he suddenly decides his own city must be purged, and decides to kill everyone over a plague, oh and some how reforges the Helm of Domination (Which likely will be reforged this expack after being Super Saiyen ripped by the Mustache twirling villain known as Sylvanas.) and Frostmourne somehow. Then yeah. He could totally become the next LK. But wont happen.
    I don't see why all that would have to happen, Bolvar certainly didn't follow the same path to the Frozen Throne. I gave examples of the possible foreshadowing they've been doing with Anduin. It's almost like you didn't read anything before you posted.

5+ Year Old Account
    I don't see why all that would have to happen, Bolvar certainly didn't follow the same path to the Frozen Throne. I gave examples of the possible foreshadowing they've been doing with Anduin. It's almost like you didn't read anything before you posted.
    It's a joke my dude lol

Quote Originally Posted by Your Mommy View Post
    I think people are treating that trailer where Anduin's an old man fighting the Legion as something that can never ever be changed or retconned
    So I wouldn't really that's the only reason he couldn't become the next Lich King
    Everything can be retconned. But, while it isn't, we can't assume it will.

Quote Originally Posted by Vrinara View Post
    It's a joke my dude lol
    Well god damn, my bad then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably "definitely not"

The helm of domination is in pieces, I don't think there's gonna be another Lich King.

Could Anduin become the next Lich King?
    Could he? Yes. In theory, even the player character can become Lich King.

Will he? Time will tell. Most likely not. But it's possible.
    Last edited by Throwme; 2020-09-21 at 05:03 PM.