Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You don’t see the analog of using the justice system for revenge because people want other people dead for their own self gratification???
    I think some people forfeit their right to live by their actions and pain they inflict on others, yes.

I still don’t see how mentioning Dexter is relevant, and you didn’t clarify that.
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

tbh i want to see numbers, a scale of innocent put to death vs innocents murdered by released psycho's.
    the one that results the least gets my support, i mean isn't that the main goal if we can never get perfection?

i also want it to be given more often to cases that are 100% clear, like good video evidence that has gone through various tampering checks.
    would also like to see it be done cheap, screw being humane to the extreme, a good shotgun to the head will be perfectly humane.
    Be passionate about the craft, achievements, events and community.
    But do not worship the machine, pedestal nor system.
    You cannot afford to be blind, for yourself and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    I think some people forfeit their right to live by their actions and pain they inflict on others, yes.

I still don’t see how mentioning Dexter is relevant, and you didn’t clarify that.
    You don’t see how using the exact reasoning dexter used to kill people as problematic.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    You don’t see how using the exact reasoning dexter used to kill people as problematic.
    Correct. I don’t see how someone who acted as judge, jury, and executioner is at all comparable to a system that divides up the responsibilities between others, so that there is (ideally) a system of checks and balances in place, and that there is a consensus decision being made, instead of just one person.

Care to try and actually explain how (you feel) they’re similar, instead of just assuming I know what you’re talking about?
    "Auto-correct is my worst enema."

I agree. We should go back to decapitations. It's instantaneous and humane.

It's gruesome and bloody, but what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by IIBloodXLustII View Post
    I agree. We should go back to decapitations. It's instantaneous and humane.

It's gruesome and bloody, but what do you do?
    I mean, you could just stop executing people.

Life in prison is more cost-effective and you don't have to worry about the possibility of executing innocent people.

Kinda ambivalent on the death penalty myself, but I also accept that our society has decided there are certain circumstances under which taking of human life is acceptable if not desirable such as abortion, war, self-defense, etc.

It’s not perfect but I find it the most consistent view given how human societies function.

I'm not sure what this childlike fascination with killing people is.

The death penalty hasn't been proven to be a strong deterrent to performing crime.
    The death penalty costs more than life in prison
    The death penalty has been proven to kill innocent people

Like get your heads out of your asses lol. There's is "literally" no upside to executions short of a feeling of revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    The death penalty hasn't been proven to be a strong deterrent to performing crime.
    Pfft...no one cares about that point. After all a prison sentence isn't a deterrent either.
    It is however about paying an appropriate penalty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Pfft...no one cares about that point. After all a prison sentence isn't a deterrent either.
    Are the inevitable innocents who are executed part of this appropriate penalty? Or do we just write them of as collateral damage for our quest for revenge?
    Last edited by Santti; 2020-10-01 at 02:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Yea i note you ignore all other points. But ok it's the "appropriate penalty" regardless of how much more it costs, no matter how many innocents you kill along the way.

But hey..it's appropriate for the ones you get right so fuck them innocents amiright?

"no one cares" the researcher arm of the DOJ cares and looked into it and their fact-based findings with tons of cites are... it doesn't deter at all so you trust your own made up feelings over... facts. Who knew...

Not going to argue with the few that seem to think subsidizing the likes of Peter Scully and his associates rather than the death they should have received.
    I sure as hell am not going to waste time arguing with anyone that thinks...that serial murderers and such heinous offenders should have been deterred by a prison sentence. That's just wishful fantasy.

However, the Eight Amendment prohibits the penalty from scaling proportionally to the crime. So when we're discussing the very worst offenders, "what they deserve" isn't actually relevant to the discussion, because constitutionally, it can't be.

- - - Updated - - -

I sure as hell am not going to waste time arguing with anyone that thinks...that serial murderers and such heinous offenders should have been deterred by a prison sentence. That's just wishful fantasy.
    Criminals either a) aren't thinking about the potential punishment because it's in the heat of the moment, b) can't help themselves if it's a compulsion, or c) don't think they will get caught.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    However, the Eight Amendment prohibits the penalty from scaling proportionally to the crime. So when we're discussing the very worst offenders, "what they deserve" isn't actually relevant to the discussion, because constitutionally, it can't be..
    Another waste of time.
    Your ilk has already tried that tact.

Not going to argue with the few that seem to think subsidizing the likes of Peter Scully and his associates rather than the death they should have received.
    I appreciate you coming out and saying you had no business in an argument to begin with. If you're unwilling to even consider an opposing stance, you are quite literally wasting everyone's time. You'll notice people are replying to you with studies, with point by point rebuttals. And you're doing the "yea but it's justice dude". Go ahead and exit the thread all high and mighty as you intended though.

At leasst now you are openly admitting it's about revenge instead of justice. I guess that's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    At leasst now you are openly admitting it's about revenge instead of justice. I guess that's progress.
    As long as you quote me correctly.
    "Appropriate penalty."
    Because you're also tacitly agreeing that prison isn't a deterrent either.

As long as you quote me correctly.
    "Appropriate penalty."
    Because you're also tacitly agreeing that prison isn't a deterrent either.
    The science has been saying for years that severity of punishment is not a noticeable deterrent. It's always been "your ilk" (to use your term) that's argued against that science.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    This all aside from the moral considerations of doing it in the first place of course, I just feel like Lethal injection one of the more painful methods out there. Hell, the medieval "Chop your head off with an axe" is more humane (A lot of other medieval methods weren't though).
    Wasn't there a whole thing where people could keep blinking for a good number of seconds after that too?

I don't know where all this focus on "keeping the body pristine" comes from as if that's related to suffering. Shotgun blow my head off if that'll be the fastest and most thorough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.