Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Oh Look, Executions are barbaric and horrible

and any person supporting in their own world probably also belongs on the table as a precautionary measure.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/21/79317...thal-injection

Gasping For Air: Autopsies Reveal Troubling Effects Of Lethal Injection

It was 2016, and the autopsy reports had been given to him by lawyers representing inmates on death row. He had received simple instructions: Interpret the levels of an anesthetic in the blood to determine whether the inmates were conscious during their execution. As an anesthesiologist at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, Zivot specialized in reading these levels. But as he looked beyond the toxicology reports, something else caught his eye. The lungs were way too heavy.

He checked another autopsy. Again, heavy lungs. The average human lung weighs about 450 grams. Many of these lungs weighed twice that, sometimes more. His best guess was that they were filled with fluid — but he needed a second opinion.

His colleague Mark Edgar, an anatomical pathologist at Emory, agreed to help. Zivot didn't mention the lungs at all, to see if Edgar would catch the same aberrations. He did. And he confirmed that Zivot's hunch had been correct — the lungs were filled with a mixture of blood and plasma and other fluids.

It was a severe form of a condition called pulmonary edema, which can induce the feeling of suffocation or drowning.

Maybe it was a fluke? Zivot and Edgar needed more autopsies to be sure. Lawyers in other states shared autopsies of former clients who had been executed. The evidence explained why multiple inmates in recent years had gasped for air after their executions began.

Eventually, Zivot and Edgar found pulmonary edema occurring in about three-quarters of more than three dozen autopsy reports they gathered.

"The autopsy findings were quite striking and unambiguous," says Zivot. He had imagined that lethal injection induced a quick death and would leave an inmate's body pristine, or at least close to it. But the autopsies told another story.

"I began to see a picture that was more consistent with a slower death," he says. "A death of organ failure, of a dramatic nature that I recognized would be associated with suffering."

In some cases, there was even froth and foam in the airways: "Frothy fluid present in the lower airways," read one report.

The froth was a clue: It meant that the inmates were still alive and trying to breathe as their lungs filled with fluid, because froth could form only if air was still passing through the lungs. It also meant that the pulmonary edema was being caused by the first drug given during a lethal injection, since the second drug, a paralytic, stops the inmate's breathing altogether.
    Support of this and any death penalty frankly is barbarism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Agree, especially when in my state the governor fights to prevent access to drugs to assist patients, but imports Lethal injection drugs
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    To be honest, I really don't understand why lethal injection drugs are a thing. Even if you support the process, there are tons of over the counter solutions that are just way cheaper and guaranteed to be painless. Any sort of normal anesthesia like a doctor uses, and then your choice of lethal method. The idea of using this bizarre cocktail of horrific drugs that aren't used for anything else is just strange. Hell, just crush up a full bottle of aspirin, put it in an IV bag, and use that. Nobody is going to survive 500,000 mg of aspirin, and it isn't going to hurt.

This all aside from the moral considerations of doing it in the first place of course, I just feel like Lethal injection one of the more painful methods out there. Hell, the medieval "Chop your head off with an axe" is more humane (A lot of other medieval methods weren't though).

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like sadism, a shot of morphine has theme effect, yet people are still trying to punish othe people even after they have been sentenced to death.

I'm totally against death sentence, or any other inhumane behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    i 100% fully support the death penalty. deal with it.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Maybe they should read them a bedtime story as they drift off peacefully one last time. I mean really though what would you have them do just let criminals sit in jail until they die from old age or whatever? I mean they are being executed it's not supposed to be pleasant you can call it torture but it is what it is. They should have thought about all that before they committed whatever crime they did.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no way they don't already know these things. This comes up every now and then, how horrible the "lethal injection" really is. They just don't care. The injection doesn't even always kill, or barely even render them unconscious.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Nevermind the 1/10 people wrongfully convicted being executed.

Anyone supporting the death penalty in 2020 should be deported to less developed countries, let's see how fun the death penalty sounds when they're at risk themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zalbagff View Post
    Maybe they should read them a bedtime story as they drift off peacefully one last time. I mean really though what would you have them do just let criminals sit in jail until they die from old age or whatever? I mean they are being executed it's not supposed to be pleasant you can call it torture but it is what it is. They should have thought about all that before they committed whatever crime they did.
    Sure, let them rot in jail then. It costs far less to do so, and is arguably worse for the person. And you eliminate the change of killing a wrong person.

Besides, there is also the executioner and the other onlookers to consider. The job of an executioner is very taxing, you know. If you fuck up the execution and see them writhe in agony and torment, a normal person is not going to sleep too well after the day is over.
    Last edited by Santti; 2020-09-21 at 06:29 PM.
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Nevermind the 1/10 people wrongfully convicted being executed.

Anyone supporting the death penalty in 2020 should be deported to less developed countries, let's see how fun the death penalty sounds when they're at risk themselves.
    I got zero qualms of serial killers getting capital punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    and any person supporting in their own world probably also belongs on the table as a precautionary measure.

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/21/79317...thal-injection
    Support of this and any death penalty frankly is barbarism.
    ALL LIFE IS PRECIOUS, life starts at conception..... then once you are born all bets are off!

Based on the performance of the death penalty and the corrupt results of our justice system, i just can't support the death penalty anymore
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    The rebuttal is going to be these are human beings of the worst sort. You aren’t getting the death penalty for being a decent human being. Thus the response is going to be from that perspective.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

15+ Year Old Account
    Isnt it way cheaper with firing squad?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    The rebuttal is going to be these are human beings of the worst sort. You aren’t getting the death penalty for being a decent human being. Thus the response is going to be from that perspective.
    Except innocent people have been executed. So you HAVE given the death penalty to decent human beings. And the supporters of it are okay with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Isnt it way cheaper with firing squad?
    I'd imagine so, but the syringe is not all that expensive, either. It's the legal costs that makes capital punishment so very expensive. Having someone locked up for life is actually a lot cheaper.
    Last edited by Santti; 2020-09-21 at 09:20 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's barbaric and I'd rather find ways to transform criminals into normal productive people, but at the same time I'm not going to lose any sleep over their loss when there are so many bigger problems in the world involving innocent people.

Never understood why people are in such a hurry to send people off to their eternal bliss of the afterlife, just to be spun out in the next cycle, or end the suffering of life.

Seems the better punishment would be to keep them in a jail cell the rest of their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Rung View Post
    Who cares? Some people just don't deserve anything else than the death penalty.
    The founders were thinking about people like you when they drafted the eighth amendment.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Except innocent people have been executed. So you HAVE given the death penalty to decent human beings. And the supporters of it are okay with that.
    I’m against the death penalty for that reason. But if you’re one that 100% supporters the justice system then you likely don’t care a guy who murdered and entire family suffered a little before being executed from it.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    I got zero qualms of serial killers getting capital punishment.
    Why did you ignore hamsters main point being the wrongful conviction number???????????????