Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now I'm no expert on a lot of things, but is this something Barr can unilaterally do? I mean, I know he's allowed to say just about whatever legally dubious shit he wants but I don't think he's got any authority to simply hamstring state funding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xyonai View Post
    Now I'm no expert on a lot of things, but is this something Barr can unilaterally do? I mean, I know he's allowed to say just about whatever legally dubious shit he wants but I don't think he's got any authority to simply hamstring state funding.
    The tact has been to try and see what courts say...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I wonder how long this legislation will stand once someone drives into a group of Proud Boys and claims self defense because they were all armed...
    Who is gonna do anything about it, the Supreme Court?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TigTone View Post
    Florida man nooo, you are suppose to be Americas symbols of wild chaotic freedom not oppression
    That body of legislation is a pile of stupid.

1A: How do you determine membership in a sub-group who number 7 or more, creating damage during a protest? What if they all say they're not connected to anyone else there, and it's just coincidence?

1B: Vehicular 1st and 2nd degree murder is allowed, as long as it targets dirty protesters.

1E: Are you only targeting this at people who organize violence, or anyone who organizes any protest that turns violent, or has violence break out? Because it sure seems like you're trying to set it up so that if police or far-right militias pick fights at a protest, you want to charge the peaceful organizers for it. You fascist dickmonkey.

IIIA: Isn't this a gross exceeding of the State's authority? Why do they get to determine the police budgets for towns?

IIIB: Make this affect State government, too, and I'm actually tentatively okay with it. But it doesn't, because this isn't about policy or principle, it's about subjugating dissent and protest, and a direct assault on the 1st Amendment.

IIIC: Again, see 1E: you're just using this to target anyone who dares speak out against the government, and allowing far-right militia types or police to escalate violence to produce that result.

IIID: On what planet does this make any sense? Bail isn't intended to be punitive. It's meant to secure your attendance at your trial. That's it. The only reason to deny bail is if you think they're a legitimate danger to someone in particular, or if they're a flight risk, and neither seems to apply to anything here.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Because if there wasn't any evidence and everyone remained peaceful they wouldn't have any footage to play with every single story that is played on MSM.
    The thing is New York's protests haven't even been in major news cycles since that old man was assaulted by riot officers back in June (I think, the Quarantine has made time meaningless and so much has happened it's been hard to keep track of what happened when) so I don't know what dim witted justification they even have for shuffling them in with Portland and Seattle; who have also gotten over the hump of their most 'violent' weeks, save for the Proud Boy who was murdered in Portland last month.

If they're genuinely worried about this, why not do the same for Kenosha? Where a chunk of it was burnt down and some out-of-state whack-job shot three people? Is it because it's a Swing state and Trump's administration doesn't want to upset them??
    Last edited by Xyonai; 2020-09-21 at 07:18 PM.

If they're genuinely worried about this, why not do the same for Kenosha? Where a chunk of it was burnt down and some out-of-state whack-job shot three people? Is it because it's a Swing state and Trump's administration doesn't want to upset them??
    exactly that, Portland as a city is a big chunk of the states Democratic votes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    Who is gonna do anything about it, the Supreme Court?
    I was more talking on the GOP side.

If this is used by an """"Antifa"""" member to get off scott-free from running over Trump Supporters because the latter apparently can't go anywhere without their emotional support firearm, I fully expect this to be quickly amended.

The thing is New York's protests haven't even been in major news cycles since that old man was assaulted by riot officers back in June
    That was Buffalo if I recall correctly

I'm a little shocked Chicago wasn't included in that list. The 20th most violent city in America is a hotbed of anarchism and black senators who hurt the feelings of orange people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post

I'm a little shocked Chicago wasn't included in that list. The 20th most violent city in America is a hotbed of anarchism and black senators who hurt the feelings of orange people.
    Illinois has potential Republican voters. New York, Oregon, and Washington do not.

This is red meat for the base and as close an admission as you'll get from these people that "Mexicans bad" isn't a viable long term electoral strategy in an increasingly brown country while still running a white supremacist platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post

We've had riots here in Rochester since then.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Illinois has potential Republican voters. New York, Oregon, and Washington do not.

This is red meat for the base and as close an admission as you'll get from these people that "Mexicans bad" isn't a viable long term electoral strategy in an increasingly brown country while still running a white supremacist platform.
    New York has a lot of hicks and townies outside of NYC, Rochester, Albany, and some of downtown Buffalo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    New York has a lot of hicks and townies outside of NYC, Rochester, Albany, and some of downtown Buffalo.
    Not enough to bring the state into play for the Party of Trump, which is the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Some people warned us that 2016 was a referendum on fascism.

An ongoing attempt to withhold federal funds and deploy more unmarked goons.

Justice Dept. deems New York City, Portland and Seattle 'anarchist jurisdictions'

The Department of Justice on Monday released a list of cities it has deemed "anarchist jurisdictions" under President Donald Trump's instructions earlier this month to review federal funding to state and local governments where violence or vandalism has taken place during protests.

That memo directed Attorney General William Barr, in consultation with Office of Management and Budget Director Russ Vought and acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf, to identify jurisdictions "that have permitted violence and the destruction of property to persist and have refused to undertake reasonable measures to counteract these criminal activities (anarchist jurisdictions)."

On Monday, the Justice Department labeled New York City, Portland and Seattle such areas, though the department said it was still working to identify other jurisdictions that meet criteria outlined in Trump's memo.

"We cannot allow federal tax dollars to be wasted when the safety of the citizenry hangs in the balance," Barr said. "It is my hope that the cities identified by the Department of Justice today will reverse course and become serious about performing the basic function of government and start protecting their own citizens."

What does the next four years of this look like if there are no more electoral consequences?
    It would redefine HORROR. We would literally be seeing mid-1930's Germany type behavior coming out of the DoJ/DHS.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis basically announcing Florida is a fascist state now, and it's legal to run over protesters with your car now:

https://twitter.com/GovRonDeSantis/s...95991183220736

Well they are going to speedrun this getting thrown out...

Not enough to bring the state into play for the Party of Trump, which is the point.
    But still enough of them to get a GOP State Senate majority if they get a little help from a certain governor.

Well, yeah, unless he tries to do something crazy like declaring these areas 'non-American districts' or some other bullshit.

The feds cede the financial hub to anarchists! excellent.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Fascism doesn't creep it does the exact opposite.
    nah it takes years of prep work to get to fascism.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    I was more talking on the GOP side.

If this is used by an """"Antifa"""" member to get off scott-free from running over Trump Supporters because the latter apparently can't go anywhere without their emotional support firearm, I fully expect this to be quickly amended.
    You're assuming conservative judges wouldn't be huge hypocrites and let "Antifa" get off scott-free. They don't care if you point out their hypocrisy they will just continue to be fascists and not give a fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    Well they are going to speedrun this getting thrown out...
    Who is gonna throw it out, the conservative judges in Florida? If it's challenged in other states, it will go to the Supreme Court, where they're about to have a supermajority.

You're assuming conservative judges wouldn't be huge hypocrites and let "Antifa" get off scott-free. They don't care if you point out their hypocrisy they will just continue to be fascists and not give a fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Who is gonna throw it out, the conservative judges in Florida? If it's challenged in other states, it will go to the Supreme Court, where they're about to have a supermajority.
    Even a conservative court will throw this out. Not only is there blatant 1st, 4th, 5th, 8th and 10th but this can be used against conservatives and if it stays then it will be completely abused by even liberals. You don't want this type of laws on the books. How I read it if you see a group of 7 KKK members together you can legally run them over and its not murder.

Still I don't see this even passing it just raw red meat during election season to get all Republicans an erection to go out and vote for Trump.
    Last edited by akris15; 2020-09-21 at 09:49 PM.

They aren't wrong. Some democrats condone the riots and acts of domestic terrorism. If you look at the last 3 months of riots in Portland you'll see why the Federal government finally got tired of their nonsense and called them out.

This article was posted back in June, so the death toll was only at 15.

15 People Died In The Protests And Riots Following George Floyd’s Death. Here’s Who They Are

https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/05/1...e-floyd-death/

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    They aren't wrong. Some democrats condone the riots and acts of domestic terrorism. If you look at the last 3 months of riots in Portland you'll see why the Federal government finally got tired of their nonsense and called them out.

This article was posted back in June, so the death toll was only at 15.

15 People Died In The Protests And Riots Following George Floyd’s Death. Here’s Who They Are

https://dailycaller.com/2020/06/05/1...e-floyd-death/
    Hey remember how the right wingers kept saying that some deaths at the hands of far right people were somehow BLM fault for being left... yeah... lol also a joke of a source really...