Kernel Power 41 (63)

I have had this problem for some time now, off and on for probably the past year, however it's started to occur more within the past couple months, and it's finally starting to bother me, so I want to get it fixed.

Basically what happens is my computer will BSOD and go straight to the BIOS, and have I to hit the power button on the side of my computer to restart windows, and get out of the BIOS. It doesn't matter if I'm playing games or browsing the internet.

In the Event Viewer I get Kernel-Power 41 (63) critical alongside Kernel-Boot 29 Error.

I have replaced my RAM, since my RAM was about 5 years old, and I thought it might be the issue, and I needed to upgrade it anyways, and the issue persisted. Went from 8GB to 16GB ddr3 1600mhz.

I reset my BIOS to default settings. BIOS has never been flashed and is version 1205.

I did a fresh reinstall of Windows within the past week, and the issue persists, so I don't think it's Windows related. Windows is installed on a 256GB Crucial SSD. I had also done the power saving options within Windows prior as well because I heard that resolved the issue for some people, like turning off Fast Boot.

My temperatures look fine in HW monitor. CPU fluctuates between 35 to 50 Celsius, idle to playing games. GPU same deal. Mainboard sits in the 30s Celsius.

PSU Voltages on the 5v, 3.3v, and 12v Rails look fine.
    5.160 V
    3.360 V
    12.192 V

CPU info
    Mainboard: Asus Z97-A.
    CPU: Intel i5 4690k
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 970 (MSI)
    PSU: Rosewill Capstone 650w Gold
    Mouse: Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB
    Keyboard: Razer Naga Deathstalker

How old is the PSU?

A little over 5 years old. Built my computer in Highmaul.

Quote Originally Posted by iloveplanets View Post
    I reset my BIOS to default settings. BIOS has never been flashed and is version 1205.
    Start with updating your bios. Looks like you're on one of the first versions, current one is like 2801. Theres a 3503 beta version as well.

I had a similar issue with my Asus Z87 Sabertooth + 4770k, where I'd get seemingly random bluescreens from time to time, like every other week. Sometimes every week. It eventually killed my GPU, which I thought was the issue, but the bsods continued with the new GPU. Updated the bios and the issue went away, and I dont think I ever got another bluescreen with that setup after the update.

I did manage to get a free upgrade from the first Titan to the Titan Black because of that issue though, so theres that.

Also, if you have another PSU lying around, try swapping.

Sounds like a dodgy PSU. And if it keeps happening, it might kill components.

I updated the BIOS, and we'll see if that fixes it. If it doesn't I have a new PSU on the way.

I don't know if it's part of the BIOS update process, but my computer did power down and on a couple times during the process. Thought I bricked my motherboard. Is there still a chance the BIOS update could brick or am I in the clear now since my computer seems normal?

I also have this in the event viewer as well and am not sure if it's cause for concern since it's also a kernel error.

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&0.
    Last edited by iloveplanets; 2020-09-23 at 01:35 AM.

Trash PSU that's 5 years old - you have your culprit.

I have had this problem for some time now, off and on for probably the past year, however it's started to occur more within the past couple months, and it's finally starting to bother me, so I want to get it fixed.

Basically what happens is my computer will BSOD and go straight to the BIOS, and have I to hit the power button on the side of my computer to restart windows, and get out of the BIOS. It doesn't matter if I'm playing games or browsing the internet.

In the Event Viewer I get Kernel-Power 41 (63) critical alongside Kernel-Boot 29 Error.
    Yea it sounds like your system drive is crashing due to voltage fluctuations. Note that stuff like that will kill any HDDs in your system pretty fast and wont be any good for SSDs aswell. Any 3.5 inch or 2.5 inch drives basically do not have any cap array to protect the "brains" from spikey voltage so they're gonna suffer.

I have replaced my RAM, since my RAM was about 5 years old, and I thought it might be the issue, and I needed to upgrade it anyways, and the issue persisted. Went from 8GB to 16GB ddr3 1600mhz.
    It's extremely rare that RAM gives any intermittent errors (unless overclocked), it's usually either working or not. It could be related to the stuff that allows the memory to work however, i.e. memory controller (in CPU or northbridge for older systems) or memory voltage controller but it's basically even more rare than faulty RAM.

Try updating, see if that helps.

PSU Voltages on the 5v, 3.3v, and 12v Rails look fine.
    5.160 V
    3.360 V
    12.192 V
    1) Those are idle voltages, ofc they're going to be fine. You have to measure when there's any kind of load.
    2) There's no point measuring voltage through motherboard sensors. It's very unlikely to show any voltage drops due to low frequency of measurements. You have to use a multimeter here.

- - - Updated - - -

The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&0.
    This is ASUS' motherboard monitoring device. Try updating the driver for it - to the ASUS website and get ASUS Probe II Sense driver.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Do I need to bother with that driver if I’m not using AI Suite or can I ignore it?

Do I need to bother with that driver if I’m not using AI Suite or can I ignore it?
    If you're bothered by an Unknown device in Device manager and those errors in the journal then no. Otherwise it's just a monitoring utility that has very little to do with AI Suite.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Might as well use AI Suite, honestly.

It can keep your hardware drivers up to date without you having to manually do it.

Just dont let it run at startup, and then run it when you want to check for updates.