Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    And by then they have noticed that they need more recources then they thought and are back with a partner for more resources.
    yeah, because decades in the industry and they have NO CLUE how much resources they need. You people need to stop putting what is going on in YOUR HEAD into the heads of others. If the man is making another company...he's got it all planned out and has decades of knowledge on the matter. YOU on the other hand...want him to fail.

The last time I heard about ex-Blizzard devs making a game studio, they shutdown after Wildstar couldn't keep them afloat (may it rest in peace).
    Expansion leak claiming Legion is the last expansion
    Quote Originally Posted by golds
    NO it will be me laughing at how you doubted this....
    I was right

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    The last time I heard about ex-Blizzard devs making a game studio, they shutdown after Wildstar couldn't keep them afloat (may it rest in peace).
    Wasn't one of the key-factors of Wildstar "Huge raids, super hard, just like you remember them!" which we've seen Classic wasn't about? I know it had housing and all that, but I remember that being the biggest focus for end-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Justank View Post
    I would never argue that the Activision merger had zero effect, but the reality is likely more complex than that. Blizzard itself is a huge company now, and was probably quite large even by the time of the merger (I don't know a specific employee count at that time). The larger it gets, the less control any individual is going to be able to exert over things like the culture they want in place, and certainly less of a hand in ensuring a certain level of quality across the board. The introductions for both Moonshot and Secret Door talk about keeping the teams relatively small, which, just like the talk of quality > short term profits, says to me the size of Blizzard was too much for Morhaime to keep active control over. At least not to his liking, and it probably has as much to do with the cultural shift away from product launch polish at Blizzard as Activision's involvement.
    Around 2005 they had about 2k employee's and today roughly 9000. What you're saying is definitely true, but as far as the mismanagement from Mike Morhaime. Of course no one is denying that, it's just going to get out of their hands at the rate they were growing at. I think the shift was inevitable and that's very true. But the nature of the culture change could've been very different if Activision wasn't behind it. At the time though gaming was just blowing up and I'm sure the choice to pick Activision was due to an insecure leadership team which resulted into how they all lost control over their company and ultimately why we have the lack luster content they provide these days. I had hope that shadowlands would be a good indicator that things were changing finally, but it seems that they will release another unfinished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    A company that will focus on developer egos instead of customer desires. What could go wrong?
    It's literally how Nintendo makes all their games. They focus on creating what the team likes and wants to play. They don't even use testers or focus groups. It's literally all about what the team likes.

Seems to have been working pretty well for them for the last 30 years.

I hope I'm still alive when their first game hits the market.
    It probably will be a great game though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Darkener View Post
    If you've never worked with Orthodox Jews then you have no idea how dirty they are. Yes, they are very dirty and I don't mean just hygiene
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    most of the rioters were racist black people with a personal hatred for white people, and it was those bigots who were in fact the primary force engaged in the anarchistic and lawless behavior in Charlottesville.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigxy View Post
    Wasn't one of the key-factors of Wildstar "Huge raids, super hard, just like you remember them!" which we've seen Classic wasn't about? I know it had housing and all that, but I remember that being the biggest focus for end-game.
    I feel like they over focused on the features being a draw with that game, while the game itself sucked.

I played it for 20 minutes a couple separate times and both times the game felt like crap to play. Choppy, uninspiring, world felt cramped, gameplay felt robotic, art style was too childish.

Blizzard is just another example of how you should never let go of the "reins", especially when control will go to people that are in it just for the money.

Hopefully something nice comes out of Dreamhaven.
    BfA = second worst product ever made by Blizzard.
    War3 Reforged took the title for worst product.

Sounds great, I always had a lot of respect for the man. And since this strongly implies that the reason he left was what everyone assumed from the very start, they'll probably be wary of any potential larger company that will try to buy them out.

I hope they will start off with a spiritual successor to WC3 (and Warcraft in general).

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Blizzard is just another example of how you should never let go of the "reins", especially when control will go to people that are in it just for the money.

I thought that way when Bill Roper left Blizzard. He was to me the man who made Diablo 2 so great and his ideas for Hellgate sounded awesome. I thought it would take the gaming community by storm.

But in the words of Elisabeth Shaw "We were wrong, we were all so wrong"

As for being "in it for the money". It takes millions of dollars these days to create any game....and the people who make them ...hundreds of them...over years..need to put food on the table. I am in my job for the passion, but I cannot buy food or pay rent with that. In the end....there has to be money to be made. If you inject a million dollars and only 500k come out at the other end...you are on the streets, you lose your home and your family starves.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    I thought that way when Bill Roper left Blizzard. He was to me the man who made Diablo 2 so great and his ideas for Hellgate sounded awesome. I thought it would take the gaming community by storm.

But in the words of Elisabeth Shaw "We were wrong, we were all so wrong"

As for being "in it for the money". It takes millions of dollars these days to create any game....and the people who make them ...hundreds of them...over years..need to put food on the table. I am in my job for the passion, but I cannot buy food or pay rent with that. In the end....there has to be money to be made. If you inject a million dollars and only 500k come out at the other end...you are on the streets, you lose your home and your family starves.
    The issue is that any extra money that a game makes just goes straight into the executives and shareholders pockets,while if anything goes wrong,the people who actually made the game are the ones who suffer. All these microtransactions and lootboxes aren't there to pay the devs,they're there to get Bobby a new yacht

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    ever heard of Arena Net, and the Guild Wars games? clearly not it seems

Quote Originally Posted by Yosho View Post
    ever heard of Arena Net, and the Guild Wars games? clearly not it seems
    Good for you, I guess? Guild Wars predates Carbine so they can't be the last group of ex-Devs I could hear about.
    Expansion leak claiming Legion is the last expansion
    NO it will be me laughing at how you doubted this....
    I was right

The Patient
    “We’re not in a hurry to go out and get funding because the most important thing is to make sure we retain control over the company’s decision making,” Morhaime said. “When we do go out and seek investment, we want to be aligned in terms of vision and values.”
    Obviously that's why so many blizz heads left blizzard. I love to "punish" big companies by never playing their games again, i did that with EA, i am readyto do it on activision, because here guys..look..even our beloved blizzard games are becoming EA-ed...

Hope Mike and his friends make some games before i turn 60 lol

Quote Originally Posted by lyphe View Post
    Well, this can only be positive.

One scenario is that they put out amazing games focused on great gameplay, especially if they remain self-funded with no shareholder pressure to worry about.
    Alternatively, even if they just push companies like Blizz to be 'better', it's still a win/win.

GL to them and I look forward to watching their journey.
    GL to them indeed. There is however also the scenario where they burn money and fail to produce any good games. Definitely not a win / win.

But maybe they can score a success in the scope of the Witcher series. Who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    The issue is that any extra money that a game makes just goes straight into the executives and shareholders pockets,while if anything goes wrong,the people who actually made the game are the ones who suffer. All these microtransactions and lootboxes aren't there to pay the devs,they're there to get Bobby a new yacht
    I didn't say where the money comes from for their new games. But whoever puts it their will want a return. Would you as a normal guy who has 10 000 dollars saved and wants to support them..even with all the idealism...give them 2000 dollars and not hope to get at least 2500 back..even if it takes 10 years?

But maybe they go the crowdfunding route where 10 million ppl donating 10 dollars do not expect a return and are just happy to be part of the big thing that sticks it to "the man"

I wish him the best of luck, but I wish he and the other founders hadn't sold Blizzard out to Activision.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Yeah, he was one of these powerless CEO guys, unable to control his own company's destiny.
    when your company is owned by another company, being a CEO means nothing. you are a manager fascilitating other peoples orders.
    you might be able to voice an opinion here and there, but ultimately have control over nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post

WoW wouldnt exist if not for Vivendi's money. Blizzard's leadership had no say in the merger, all they got was shares.
    i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz cooled by Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000/CL15 @ 3200/CL14 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II / Samson SR850 | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I have huge respect for this man. I wish him the best of luck, he deserves better than just seeing his former company tearing itself apart.
    By tearing itself apart do you mean quadrupling their value in the last five years?

Quote Originally Posted by Djaye View Post
    when your company is owned by another company, being a CEO means nothing. you are a manager fascilitating other peoples orders.
    you might be able to voice an opinion here and there, but ultimately have control over nothing.
    This is probably the moment where somebody will come in and carefully explain to you how Blizzard is not "owned" by Activision - but since this has been an endless circle jerk of people spouting whatever they believe and apparently every here has majored in economics and knows the industry in and out...I just don't care anymore. Yes, you are right...Bobby Kotik personally tells Blizzard what to do..in fact, I have it on good faith that Covenants, Thorghast, Soulbinds and the release date as well as the content of the physical CE were his ideas which he all enforced without debate on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    If they make a kick-ass modern old-school MMO, I would check it out.
    I think that sums up the problem they face. First they would have to front TONS of money. Like probably 10s of millions and develop the game over many years.

Then there are the folks who would ...maybe....possibly...if they have time..."check it out" if it is "kick ass" (and only then)

I am totally cynical here...just regularly checking out youtube videos on upcoming MMOs that have been years in the making, tons of money spend (looking at you, A new world et all...and the overall reactions being "meh"

Being "meh" - while everyone here shits on WoW and Blizzard and never seems to go to throw their money at the competitors.

Still..good luck to them.