Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Laerrus View Post
    This just confirms what we've known all along, Blizzard CEO does not hold the real power in the company since the merger. Activision does.
    How does this have anything to do with that at all?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Yeah, but there are a lot of ways to make money. I like this one:

Create really good, world class games, and use the power of reputation that those excellent games provide, to promote and sell those games for a profit. Offer great deals and small incentives to your loyal fans to further promote and build trust in your brand.
    Or sell loot boxes and increase your revenue ten fold at the cost of a some customers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post
    "We’re almost trying to create a haven for creators who want an environment that is development friendly, values product, and player experience over short-term financial pressures.”

oof.. Sounds like they really didn't like the new Blizzard.
    Sounds like they know how to make fools believe what they want.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    So these studios are basically an opposite of what Blizzard has bcome.
    They're literally nothing now. They haven't done anything.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    shit, if this doesn't confirm the theory that Morhaime was given two options with regards to Blizzard (Quiet bow-out or Public execution) I don't know what does.

Let's see what he can do without Activision breathing down his neck about Profits and Deadlines
    Except he was already doing the same things people accuse activision of. Dude isn't worth 500 million for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by aceperson View Post
    can't make it any clearer than a former ceo and founder of a company to say his new venture is "trying to create a haven for creators who want an environment that is development friendly, values product, and player experience over short-term financial pressures". it's 100% clear now he left blizzard because of activision and their greed.
    Agreed, this is too obvious a direct result of current Blizzard's toxic workplace. He is describing everything Blizzard is not. Shots fired. I wish him the best.

What's the over/under in years before its bought by Microsoft, Tencent, Apple, or Sony?

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    I wish him the best of luck, but I wish he and the other founders hadn't sold Blizzard out to Activision.
    Blizzard was sold to investors long before Activision became involved. Hell, it was long before Vivendi became involved.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    WoW is like 99% bear ass collection simulator -- D-Rock

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    Except he was already doing the same things people accuse activision of. Dude isn't worth 500 million for nothing.
    Quite often tbf

I fucking knew it. This would suggest Morhaime was forced out rather than retiring of his own volition. A guy like him doesn't just retire out of the blue.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Morhaime owns the Company from my understanding, so they cannot be bought by another company by them just putting money on the table, Morhaime can just say no.

Activision was able to buy Blizzard because Blizzard was owned by Vivendi, hence they bought it from Vivendi, Morhaime most likely had no say in the matter.
    Not quite correct. Vivendi bought Activision and created Activision-Blizzard to hold their gaming studios under one umbrella. Those in Activision-Blizzard a few years later bought themselves out, with clauses.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Though I suspect it'll be a while until a game is ready for release.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Not quite correct. Vivendi bought Activision and created Activision-Blizzard to hold their gaming studios under one umbrella. Those in Activision-Blizzard a few years later bought themselves out, with clauses.
    Not quite correct. Vivendi arranged a deal with Activision to merge Blizzard into Activision, with Vivendi getting a controlling share of the merged entity. But this merged entity still had other shareholders, so Vivendi did not formally own it. But yes, Morhaime could not have done anything except threaten to leave if he didn't like it.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    WoW is like 99% bear ass collection simulator -- D-Rock

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    The historical reference might be off, but the point still stands: Morhaime had no real say in the matter back in 07 / 08, whereas now he does as he (i assume) owns the company.

Well he certainly has the PR speech still down, because that is all this amounts to for now and it is an easy sentiment to get positive attention in the gaming space. But I doubt he will be able to make games with just dreams and unicorn farts. That being said, the way he announced that is certainly quite a slight against Blizzard, because it implies his previous working conditions were not to that standard.

I also doubt we will see an interesting title from them in the near future as well. I wonder what they will be working on though, I hope they shoot for quality instead of the mass produced cartoony graphics stuff that everyone from chinese gulag mobile developer to AAA studio is currently farting out for maximum market appeal with the least investment.
    Last edited by Haidaes; 2020-09-23 at 10:05 PM.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

People will grasp at any straws to further bitch about how evil and bad Blizzard has become.

Great news! lets hope for an amazing mmorpg being developed once again that can be a real "wow killer"

Quote Originally Posted by Uvania View Post
    Great news! lets hope for an amazing mmorpg being developed once again that can be a real "wow killer"
    I very much doubt he will risk his new company with an oversaturated and almost dead genre.
    /tar Tinker-zealot /point /lol
    WoW:Shadowlands - Danuser's Divina Commedia?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    What's the over/under in years before its bought by Microsoft, Tencent, Apple, or Sony?
    I think he would sooner see the company go under rather than have what happened to Blizzard be repeated. That would be my feeling anyway.

Well, i will wait until they announce/preview some game before putting hopes up

I can imagine their first game... a WoW clone with horrible balancing and shifting gameplay based on week to week hotfixes, a true WoW clone indeed. Time will tell.

I like what he says, but words are wind. I want to see what they make and will decide there if it's worth my money.

Please, please don't have them make an MMO. The market is way over saturated and it requires far too much time and money to both make and maintain for a small-ish team. They can't compete with WoW. But they can make good games in genres that really, really need it such as RTS. The studio needs an early success to build up a fanbase, goodwill, experience and capital before it moves on to a bighueg project. Hopefully Morhaime sees that.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    The amount of mmo-c.com crys about "THIS IS THE REASON HE QUIT - DESTROY ACTIVISION" lol - any big game studio is there for money, it's just the way it is lol
    Nah man. This society is obsessed with draining all fun and life from passions. Artists don't become artists out of a desire to hoard money. Once you're financially stable, and I would call Mike Morhaime that, you spend your time doing what you want to be doing. Games are fun.