View Poll Results: Should Blizz delay SL launch

Voters
474. This poll is closed
  • Yes, I want it to be as good and balanced as possible.

231 48.73%
  • No, I want new content ASAP

177 37.34%
  • Don't care

66 13.92%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I very much agree with Miyamoto that "a delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad," the reason listed for delaying it just isn't good enough in today's game dev cycle. All delaying it now would do is give Blizz less data with which to fix abilities while giving the #PullTheRipcord community more time to try and pressure the devs to decouple the covenant/class abilities. Perfect balance really is not attainable unless you make each class carbon copies, and trying to balance the abilities right now without a full slate of players showing the devs just how broken things can get is a fool's errand.

It will be far better for WoW to get the expansion out and see how much fun it actually becomes while in the hands of the player base.

At this point if there are azerite armour-level mistakes it's already baked into the expansion's core mechanics. Delaying launch will change little.

Letting all of us all have it and "beta test" earlier may actually be more beneficial so they can get feedback from a wider universe and work on refinements for future patches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two options: WOD/BFA levels of unpreparedness or delaying until possibly Q1 2021

What do you think the Stockholders will want?
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    Yeah so my opinion here is that yes, we need an acceptable standard at launch - agree 100%. What i will say is that whether people like it or not, releasing pre-patch sooner and using that for final balancing and bug fixes is probably the best way to do this. Beta is good obviously, but it really needs to be seen "in the wild" by the masses before many of the smaller issues can be identified and addressed.

Sadly, as we all know, betas have become glorified demos for free marketing through streamers.
    My hope is that the added week(s) from being able to work on 9.0.2 when 9.0.1 is live means they are committed to having a cleaner launch than is usual, and not that they're scrambling to deliver to expansion without it being a broken mess. They're still making significant changes even now, for example the upcoming additions to PvP gearing or Covenant ability balance and redesign, in one case making a completely new one for Rogues. I'm quite certain a delay is impossible at this point; whenever it would have helped will be known to us October 26.

It's not like WoW expansions are strangers to rocky launches anyway. From my memory Legion was the only one that began pretty flawlessly from a technical point of view, and I don't want another 13 month content drought to enable that again thank you oh so very much.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

Quote Originally Posted by keldarepewpew View Post
    Useless poll, they cant the entire management staff would litteraly get kicked out by activision and replaced if they failed to meet their deadline at this point. It would lead to way to much embarassement for activision.
    Again, Activision does NOT MAKE ANY decisions regarding Blizzard. Blizzard and Activision are two separate self autonomous companies under one roof. People need to stop with this myth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Two options: WOD/BFA levels of unpreparedness or delaying until possibly Q1 2021

What do you think the Stockholders will want?
    Stockholders do not care. All they care about is that the company is profitable as a whole. They do not give one wit about what WoW specifically is doing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by saberwolf View Post
    Title says it all. Thoughts?
    No, and they won’t, even if every person on every forum begged them to.

I am confident it will be fine by launch. Like always. There may be minor bugs but nothing that will hinder you long term.
    "Can't you see this is the last act of a desperate man?"
    "We don't care if it's the first act of Henry the Fifth, we're leaving!"

Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    Again, Activision does NOT MAKE ANY decisions regarding Blizzard. Blizzard and Activision are two separate self autonomous companies under one roof. People need to stop with this myth.

- - - Updated - - -

Stockholders do not care. All they care about is that the company is profitable as a whole. They do not give one wit about what WoW specifically is doing.
    I feel like the people imagining Bobby Kotick breathing down the neck of everyone at Blizzard don't know that the majority of Acti-Blizz's stockholders are things like retirement funds, not the Mr Burns-esque evil ultracapitalist slavedrivers they imagine, and these have far, far bigger fishes to fry than how many bugs that one game of one of their investments has on launch. So long as the company stays profitable and grows, the investors are happy.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Blizz has had more time to develop this expansion than any other. A few more months isn't going to make a difference to a team that is pretty well cut to the bone.

Blizz will launch on the designated date because they will have lost too many subs if they delay another quarter or two.

You are playing a dying game. If you like it, great. But don't deny the reality of what the state of the game is actually in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I feel like the people imagining Bobby Kotick breathing down the neck of everyone at Blizzard don't know that the majority of Acti-Blizz's stockholders are things like retirement funds, not the Mr Burns-esque evil ultracapitalist slavedrivers they imagine, and these have far, far bigger fishes to fry than how many bugs that one game of one of their investments has on launch. So long as the company stays profitable and grows, the investors are happy.
    I'd totally be ok with less returns on my 401k if it ment us being a functional society not laser focused on greed, and putting tons of pressure on employees because of greed.

But, alas, republicans exist.

Well that is an interesting point. I would say "required" stuff is bad. Slightly less power is fine. But everyone is different.
    People expect sub-5% difference across all scenarios. This is completely unrealistic if you want to leave room for any kind of class/spec diversity.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not a myth.

Ok, so if they dont care why are they presented with info on every single major project (WoW obviously being the biggest one) within the company every single quarter on an earnings call?
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

Quote Originally Posted by arkanon View Post
    And those iterations will continue through the entire lifespan of SL - there is nothing to say an extra few weeks would change things at all. They are also, as always, much further along than is publicly known, as they dont announce changes until they have done at least some internal testing. They still get it wrong from time to time, but thats their intention. Additionally, the game needs to be in a playable state by a large audience before many of the smaller issues become known, so at some point, they need to pull the trigger and launch it.
    Pretty much. On the larger scale tuning can be mostly done before it launches, but there will always be some things a beta or internal testing doesn't catch up before hundreds of thousands or even millions of players get to play the game. Combination of spells/talents etc is something that will be unbalanced which they did not catch before the launch and this would always happen no matter what. The most obvious ones, sure they should have that ready fixed before launch. Even if they waited a year everything wouldn't be done and polished. At this time, the expansion is "late" and since systems overall seems to work as they intended, then they should launch it.

And who would decide if its "in a good state"? Because if they're launching it, it's because they certainly think it is.

For others, it will never be in a good enough state.

Stop the whining and enjoy it. If you dislike it, go play something else. People just put too much time and energy into things that are completely irrelevant in the day and age we live today.

10+ Year Old Account
    obviously it'd be better if they delayed it in order to make sure that it was balanced and in a good spot to launch.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

It won't matter. They will release it and then when/if it is bad, they will just blame covid. They'll hope people forget that even before covid many were saying the xpac was too light on content.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but they won't.

They should delay.

Right now it looks like they will be focused so much on live launch that first patch will be delayed.

10+ Year Old Account
    of course. they shall be honest with themselves. give them 2-3 more months of hard work. then see if they need more. the 27th october date that was pretty much weird. at the very least, they got room for the pre patch (which contains class changes), thanks to not giving a proper date. pre patch is still far to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    I don't really care what state the expansion releases in. I just hope Blizzard can keep up a 77 day content release schedule like they did in Legion.

It was by far the best aspect of Legion in my opinion. And by comparison, the content releases of BFA felt like they took forever.
    Oh yes please, shoot all the bullets early so we go back to 1 year lasting final patches....
    They've been too fast with legion patches which has led to a very long last patch. Should have been between 14 and 18 weeks between patches instead of 11.

Say what you want about bfa, but content pacing was done right for the first time ever. If we hadn't had corona, shadowlands would already be out by now, which would mean that 8.3 could have been the shortest final patch of an expansion ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Laubman View Post
    It doesn't matter what they do because people will never be happy or see the game in a good state.

Edit: The poll seems a bit biased.
    Classify 'Good State'. Cause if you mean balanced then that is not happening.

Some would say the game is balanced when melee can rule over every class that is softer then them. Then you have those who think that the class they main should be doing the most damage on the meters. This game will never ever be in a 'Good State'. There is just too many whiners in this game screaming that every ability and every talent should be nerfed.
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

Always, when Nintendo adhered to the principle of quality release over rushing they produced decades long series of game with both profits and stable fun gameplay.

Now the rushers are simply "winning the race of life" as many of them plunge into the red and deplete their savings.
    It's amazing how many media companies are going bankrupt and potentially dissolving this year, both in gaming and outside of it.