Melacholy fun? System doesn't think so

I, and many others, think melancholy is fun. Nothing beats sad songs, a good cry. Those kind of things.

But it's impossible to be depressed when you work. All the symptoms of depression: tiredness, loss of focus, lack of motivation--these things are beaten out of you through the torture and punishment of working.

Hence, all "grown-ups" are above such "teen angst." The system demonizes depressives and the mentally ill, because they are against the direction of typical work ethic. Furthermore, you will be bullied for being sad and mentally ill, because it exposes the immoral-ness of the system. Only the people with personalities like deceptiveness and indifference to the plight of the poor will get ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    The fuck are you on that you think working forces people to not be depressed or lose focus or the like? The monotony of working can induce those very symptoms.
    Stress =/= depression.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    No one wants to work with debby downers. You have to hide your emotions and pretend you enjoy working/being there
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

10+ Year Old Account
    How different is depression as a life style, from Munchausen by choice?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    No one wants to work with debby downers. You have to hide your emotions and pretend you enjoy working/being there
    Day walker!!!

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

depression is not a pleasant thing to experience, it's not something to cling to as an identity, it's something to endure and work through and hope to one day escape from. the reason people don't like to see depression is because of compassion, very few people enjoy seeing others suffer. the reactions to depression are often unintentionally cruel but that comes from a lack of understanding rather than a lack of tolerance
    melancholy is not depression. depression is never fun. depression isn't being sad, sadness is an emotion that helps us to be compassionate, to understand happiness and to appreciate the things that bring it

depression isn't crying to sad songs, it's sitting in silence feeling numb and not caring whether you live or die. it's wishing that you felt suicidal because at least then you'd feel something, at least then you'd want something, even if that something is death. depression is a bleak, empty infinity that once you've experienced you wouldn't wish on even the most detestable people because nobody deserves that. depression is, even when you've escaped it and can feel happy, that nagging voice deep inside your brain behind the wall you built around it that whispers that you're living a lie and happiness is a mirage that will shatter and abandon you, that happiness is just lifting you up only so it can throw you back down with more force

Quote Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
    depression is not a pleasant thing to experience, it's not something to cling to as an identity, it's something to endure and work through and hope to one day escape from. the reason people don't like to see depression is because of compassion, very few people enjoy seeing others suffer. the reactions to depression are often unintentionally cruel but that comes from a lack of understanding rather than a lack of tolerance
    melancholy is not depression. depression is never fun. depression isn't being sad, sadness is an emotion that helps us to be compassionate, to understand happiness and to appreciate the things that bring it

depression isn't crying to sad songs, it's sitting in silence feeling numb and not caring whether you live or die. it's wishing that you felt suicidal because at least then you'd feel something, at least then you'd want something, even if that something is death. depression is a bleak, empty infinity that once you've experienced you wouldn't wish on even the most detestable people because nobody deserves that. depression is, even when you've escaped it and can feel happy, that nagging voice deep inside your brain behind the wall you built around it that whispers that you're living a lie and happiness is a mirage that will shatter and abandon you, that happiness is just lifting you up only so it can throw you back down with more force
    Yeah... being poetic =/= stating facts.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Yeah... being poetic =/= stating facts.
    Yeah and you are the poet and rayvio is stating facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Yeah and you are the poet and rayvio is stating facts.
    How can you even pretend to be objective when you've been following my trail of posts for months, waiting for every opportunity to shoot me down? Get off my ass.

Are you like YUPPIE's more passive aggressive alter ego?

7+ Year Old Account
    How can you even pretend to be objective when you've been following my trail of posts for months, waiting for every opportunity to shoot me down? Get off my ass.
    They weren't wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

Playing the victim doesn't make your case any stronger.

The only time I see your stupidity is when I actually see you post your stupidity. I don't stalk users so get over yourself because you aren't as insightful or as important as you think you are.

Don't really care if I get an infraction on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    The only time I see your stupidity is when I actually see you post your stupidity. I don't stalk users so get over yourself because you aren't as insightful or as important as you think you are.

Don't really care if I get an infraction on this.
    “yOu ArE mEaN aNd StUpId hMpH!”

15+ Year Old Account
    Ahh, another AF post where they post their opinion, get countered by facts, then spend a few pages flaming everyone before moving on.

Nothing to see here.
    Here is something to believe in!

7+ Year Old Account
    Debby downers, misanthropes, cynics, and pessimists are the worst... For me I like optimists and spunky people with a lot of energy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why by I feel attacked by this thread.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I don't know why by I feel attacked by this thread.
    You are being paranoid: this thread has nothing to do with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you dislike people criticizing your bullshit, low quality bait posting... then try this magical remedy that will fix it: stop posting bullshit, low quality bait posting.

It’s hard for you I’m sure. But try it.

5+ Year Old Account
    This isn't going anywhere good, so thread is closed.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."