Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalika View Post
    You said this



    This is incorrect and this is why I am telling you this. And no you can not run an I3 for a laptop in a Desktop because you can not buy a Laptop CPU as a consumer. Also chances are that the CPU in the laptop or mobile device is soldered to the board. Any I3, I5, I7 that is in a laptop or mobile has the "U" suffix. Unless it is a gaming laptop!

    Desktop I3, I5, I7 all use the same cores except for the 5th generation, I3 is just the last years I5 and the I5 is the previous years I7.
    You are right, what i said wasnt correct. I wasnt thinking about the mobile market as a gaming market, which it certainly is.

    And no you can not run an I3 for a laptop in a Desktop because you can not buy a Laptop CPU as a consumer
    What in the world are you on about. Ofcourse you can.

    Also chances are that the CPU in the laptop or mobile device is soldered to the board
    R - O - F -L

    Any I3, I5, I7 that is in a laptop or mobile has the "U" suffix
    No. That just means its a power saving cpu. it doesnt have to be a "gaming laptop" to not have one.

    Desktop I3, I5, I7 all use the same cores except for the 5th generation, I3 is just the last years I5 and the I5 is the previous years I7.
    This is also not true

    I get the feeling this isnt going to end well. I've already made a few enemies in this thread just stating facts. I'm gonna get ganged up on arent i

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    Not true anymore nowadays.
    What they mean is, is not that modern CPUs aren't good enough, or that mid-tier CPUs aren't good enough, it's just held back by it not being fully optimized for lots of cores and being an engine that's cobbled onto something that's very old. So, to WoW, single threaded performance is still king.

    This same sort of thing is what holds back the original Crysis on modern computers, interestingly enough, too. It just doesn't take advantage of threads all that well.

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    The i7 and i9 of the same generation are better. Making it the low end purchase for gaming on a pc, as the i3's are made for mobile devices(For this gen). its not a low end cpu compared to previous gen cpu's in the way a 10 year old i3 isnt a low end cpu compared to a pentium 1 cpu.
    The single cores are like 5% better, and that is what matters for games

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by BossManRoth View Post
    WoW is a CPU heavy game whereas GW2 is a GPU heavy game. it's all in how the games distribute on the system
    If I remember right, GW2 has typically been seen as a CPU heavy game. A lot of critisims was leveraged against it in the early days for not making better use of GPUs.
    Even now my Ryzen 5 2600X with a Geforce GTX 660 performs about as well as my wife's I7 6700k with a GTX 1070Ti in GW2.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    The single cores are like 5% better, and that is what matters for games
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../i9-10900.html

    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../i7-10700.html

    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../i5-10500.html

    its basicly the same. The only notable difference(besides the obvious embetterments of the higher intel numbers) is that the ram is slightly faster on the i7 and i9

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../i9-10900.html

    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../i7-10700.html

    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us.../i5-10500.html

    its basicly the same. The only notable difference(besides the obvious embetterments of the higher intel numbers) is that the ram is slightly faster on the i7 and i9
    Yeah i checked fps on userbenchmarks. The i7/9 are better but wow just cannot utilize that many cores

  7. #107
    It's not a graphic-intensive game. GFX card requirement is still in the lower end. It has a lot going on hence the slightly higher CPU req. As a few others noted already in this thread, the standout issue really comes to disk drive speed.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Nite92 View Post
    Yeah i checked fps on userbenchmarks. The i7/9 are better but wow just cannot utilize that many cores
    I havent checked but i wouldnt be suprised if the i7 and i9 have hyperthreading and that its somehow fucking it up in wow.

    I bought the i7-9700k(it doesnt have hyper threading) and it runs wow even during heavy loading stuff like an absolute dream. I literally never experience fps drops.

    Kinda regret not getting he i9 for other things though but it was expensive as fuck

  9. #109
    I think the issue is here the naming scemes of intel rather than a real issue. The CPU-Requirements for wow who is actually a very CPU heavy game is not as high as you think. The biggest issue is simply intel with it's core strategy: i3 had only 2 cors, now 4 or whatever, no hypertreating or yes hyperthreading, no idea what exactly intel does.

    Thank god there's Ryzen: all unlocked, all hyperthread and at least this times the naming is... let's say a bit better. (except for ryzen 3400G; why did they add a 2nd generation zen+ generation cpu with the name of a 3rd gen ryzen zen2...)
    Last edited by Velerios; 2020-09-26 at 10:52 PM.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Frankly WoW's biggest drawback point for me has always been, weirdly enough, disk drive speed.
    An SSD does wonders.

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    You are right, what i said wasnt correct. I wasnt thinking about the mobile market as a gaming market, which it certainly is.



    What in the world are you on about. Ofcourse you can.



    R - O - F -L



    No. That just means its a power saving cpu. it doesnt have to be a "gaming laptop" to not have one.



    This is also not true

    I get the feeling this isnt going to end well. I've already made a few enemies in this thread just stating facts. I'm gonna get ganged up on arent i
    You are getting that feeling because your response are wrong, rude, condescending, you are arguing with me and you clearly have no clue. "U" processors are not sold in stores and are not consumer CPU they come in prebuilt systems mostly moble and laptops they are also a different shape. Most laptops and mobile devices do not have sockets they have sodered on CPU's. In addition your quoting is bad since I clearly said Laptops CPU with "U" can not be used in a desktop but you and your Peon's brain left that out.
    Last edited by Kalika; 2020-09-26 at 11:11 PM.

  12. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    Most developers pull the minimum specs out of their arses.

    They find the lowest spec machine they have around the office that it more or less runs on, and that's the minimum spec.

    If it runs at decent settings at 1080p and 60fps, then great. That's now the recommended spec.
    Yeah no. Most that offer betas, have hardware surveys that gather the specs of the computers testing and base their minimum specs off that.

  13. #113
    "graphics heavy game"

    "I have a CPU..."

    OP, please learn computers before trying to talk them. The GPU is different than the CPU. WoW is a CPU heavy game, not a GPU heavy game.

    That, and I3s are self-proclaimed to be the 'low-end' of Intel's CPU offering. Your CPU is outdated and you're playing a CPU heavy game. You'll need an upgrade.
    Last edited by Fleugen; 2020-09-26 at 11:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'm sorry sir, but we do not serve complimentary cheese when you bring your own whine.

  14. #114
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    An SSD does wonders.
    Yup. Been using one for many years now. Entire zones draw in like 1 second. Loading times are practically nil these days.

  15. #115
    Quote Originally Posted by SkagenRora View Post
    ...
    Hi,
    there is a simple solution to see if you need an upgrade. You don't need to be a techie for this.

    Just ask yourself this question:
    Does it run smooth enough for you?

    If yes, you don't need to upgrade. Of course the dungeon could load 0.5 seconds faster
    You could have 20 more frames in a raid

    But if you don't have 20 versions of details active, have a monitor with a lower resolution or whatever you just might be fine with your hardware.
    Maybe you are ok with lower graphicsettings? That also means you don't need better hardware perhaps.

    So as long as everything is fine, don't upgrade and when you think something is bad (long loading times, lag, etc), you can ask how to get rid of that one problem.

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Just like the integrated graphics of most MB's today are enough to run a lot of games. Thats not really what they are made for tho.
    Can you please direct me to where I can find the integrated graphics on my motherboard? I'm having trouble locating it.

    I can't believe you're out here trying to tell people they're wrong about CPUs while claiming MBs have an iGPU

  17. #117
    Merely a Setback breadisfunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    flying the exodar...into the sun.
    Posts
    25,737
    most likely its because of that ray tracing crap.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    An SSD does wonders.
    Seconded. Anyone who plays this game without an SSD is doing themselves a huge disservice. That's a far better upgrade than a better CPU, and a better GPU will barely matter for WoW unless you for some reason want to enable ray tracing outside of when you take screenshots.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

  19. #119
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    You are right, what i said wasnt correct. I wasnt thinking about the mobile market as a gaming market, which it certainly is.



    What in the world are you on about. Ofcourse you can.



    R - O - F -L



    No. That just means its a power saving cpu. it doesnt have to be a "gaming laptop" to not have one.



    This is also not true

    I get the feeling this isnt going to end well. I've already made a few enemies in this thread just stating facts. I'm gonna get ganged up on arent i
    People are only ganging up on you because you're wrong. This is the current top of the line i3 processor for desktop https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/.../i3-10320.html. Notice how it specifically says it's for desktop use. You wont find this chip in a laptop because you'll be hard pressed to find a laptop form factor board with the same socket type. As for putting laptop chips in a desktop, it's not something you can just drop into a consumer board. https://www.intel.ca/content/www/ca/...i3-10110u.html this is 10th gen mobile i3, go try and find a board for sale on any consumer site with an FCBGA1528 socket. You can get them from Chinese resellers or something like that, but the average i3 running in a desktop PC isn't a mobile chip.

    As for the current gen i3's being only for the mobile market, that's just because intel hasn't released 11th gen desktop cpus yet. The only 11th gen i7s out right now are for mobile too (like https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...i7-1160g7.html) but you wouldn't say i7s are now only meant for the mobile market. 11th gen desktop CPUs are just not released yet, they will be early next year I believe. Intel makes i3/i5/i7s specifically for the desktop AND mobile market, and they release them at different times.

    i3s are just budget CPUs, and generally modern i3s are fine for the vast majority of gaming, and as multiple people have side any i3 going back to the 6th gen will run Shadowlands fine.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantaburs View Post
    Can you please direct me to where I can find the integrated graphics on my motherboard? I'm having trouble locating it.

    I can't believe you're out here trying to tell people they're wrong about CPUs while claiming MBs have an iGPU
    The CPU has the GPU chip the motherboard has the ports. Not all MB have the ports and not all CPU have a IGPU. Most Xeons do not have iGPU and I3/5/7 with "K" after the name does not either.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •