Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
7
8
9
10
11
LastLast
  1. #161
    Brewmaster rogoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by ketsui View Post
    I’m gonna try not to be mean but after 16 years you should have been able to save enough to replace your cpu with something a bit newer
    i love comments like this, because your asinine assumption makes you look like an ass, a PC and it's component parts are luxury items, and you have no idea what the personal circumstances of the OP are, where they live meaning what their earning power is like, that goes for parts availability, it may be very difficult to get the parts they need because of heavy tax rates on such items etc, so while i understand your point, it's a moronic viewpoint to take.

    retired march 2013 RIP - returned january 2016, purely because paladins finally get Ashbringer!

  2. #162
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    i love comments like this, because your asinine assumption makes you look like an ass, a PC and it's component parts are luxury items, and you have no idea what the personal circumstances of the OP are, where they live meaning what their earning power is like, that goes for parts availability, it may be very difficult to get the parts they need because of heavy tax rates on such items etc, so while i understand your point, it's a moronic viewpoint to take.
    Sixteen years.... If you havent been able to upgrade or build a computer by that time, you have some serious issues with money and life.

    And maybe you should prioritize something else than WoW.

  3. #163
    Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    SL’s minimum (not “recommended” but “minimum”) requirement is an i5 processor. I have an i3 that runs GW2 (avoid game vs. game discussion) just fine but can’t run this ancient beast that is WoW? What a ripoff!
    What is "WoW: Most needlessly graphic-intensive game?" for you? You state the minimum requirement but not really why you feel it's "needlessly". I don't feel your post answers your headline :P
    Well met!
    Quote Originally Posted by Iem View Post
    Man even if Blizzard gave players bars of gold, they would complain that they were too heavy.

  4. #164
    Banned CrawlFromThePit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    The Depths Bellow
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by Tantaburs View Post
    Did you mean that i3's are perfectly serviceable CPU's for many sole gaming related tasks? cause if so saying that an i3 isn't the right tool for gaming is pretty silly.

    Here's a review of an i3 10100 the lesser of the 10th gen i3's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAPq9Lthhnc&t=876s

    Battlefield V ultra 140fps
    Far Cry New Dawn Ultra 90 fps
    Shadow of the Tomb raider Ultra 80 fps
    RDR2 High 80 fps

    Can we stop pretending that an i3 isn't a perfectly reasonable budget gaming CPU. Is an i5 10600k better? yes. Is a Ryzen 3600 better? yes but those chips are also more expensive and people have budgets. Comments like i3's are not gaming CPUs or that people are idiots for putting a i3 in a gaming CPU drive people away from PC gaming. Budget PCs can be very serviceable in most game.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Your CPU has very little to do with what settings you can run a game at. Moving up to higher resolutions and textures stresses your GPU not your CPU. Things that stress your CPU are things that require calculations, Particle effects IIRC can put more stress on your CPU since there are now more things that the CPU needs to calculate the position of same with reflections I believe (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) but simply turning resolutions up from low to high doesn't have any real effect on your CPU. For the most part if a CPU can run a game on low with 60fps it can run the game on high with around 60fps if the GPU can run the game at 60fps
    No I didn't mean serviceable. I can hammer a nail with a rock.
    I said gamers, people who have a passion for it, not those who build a PC with the pocket change that fell in the couch and are fine doing their 1 hour per day of gaming with their single monitor and nothing else but the game running. Sure that's serviceable, but that's not what gamers look for just like a construction worker or anyone with a passion like woodworking will not be satisfied with a rock even if that rock can hammer that nail. I'm talking about people who want the most out of it.

    BTW your own video shows there's a difference when increasing the resolution, about 10% drop when going from 1080p to 1440, so I could expect at least another 15% drop when going to 2k which is pretty common. Also that CPU has some hard drops, the min FPS is always far from what they call the "average", this causes a visual problem known as FPS drop, where going from 130 to 80 is more annoying than staying at 80 all the time because the difference is noticeable, on top of only happening when there's a lot of action which is even more annoying. No real gamer seriously cares if the game runs at 250 fps while doing nothing.

    But yes, it's serviceable for casuals, just not great for gamers.

  5. #165
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    No I didn't mean serviceable. I can hammer a nail with a rock.
    I said gamers, people who have a passion for it, not those who build a PC with the pocket change that fell in the couch and are fine doing their 1 hour per day of gaming with their single monitor and nothing else but the game running. Sure that's serviceable, but that's not what gamers look for just like a construction worker or anyone with a passion like woodworking will not be satisfied with a rock even if that rock can hammer that nail. I'm talking about people who want the most out of it.
    Sounds like you have your own definition of what a gamer is that's not based on anything real, where it's not a true gamer without top of the line specs?
    The average gamer still uses 1080p, a xx60 or xx50 series gpu and 4 core processor. Steam has hardware surveys about average specs.
    The biggest "gamer" friends I have don't even have the money to upgrade, since they could play 10h+ every day. No way to afford better specs like that.
    Last edited by kukkamies; 2020-09-28 at 09:48 AM.

  6. #166
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    875
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    It used to just completely dump everything on 1 core which is why having an intel CPU was such a big deal. Its better these days, but its still not well optimized afaik and still very CPU bound.
    Hopping on the PTR and beating on some target dummies, I'm seeing WoW using four cores about equally, so it's doing better than quite a few modern games that still only use 1-2 cores hard.

  7. #167
    Banned CrawlFromThePit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    The Depths Bellow
    Posts
    1,391
    Quote Originally Posted by kukkamies View Post
    Sounds like you have your own definition of what a gamer is that's not based on anything real, where it's not a true gamer without top of the line specs?
    The average gamer still uses 1080p, a xx60 or xx50 series gpu and 4 core processor. Steam has hardware surveys about average specs.
    The biggest "gamer" friends I have don't even have the money to upgrade, since they could play 10h+ every day. No way to afford better specs like that.
    You're complaining that I have a definition of the word that you don't agree with and then you just make more of your own definitions as if you couldn't see your hypocrisy.

  8. #168
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    No I didn't mean serviceable. I can hammer a nail with a rock.
    I said gamers, people who have a passion for it, not those who build a PC with the pocket change that fell in the couch and are fine doing their 1 hour per day of gaming with their single monitor and nothing else but the game running. Sure that's serviceable, but that's not what gamers look for just like a construction worker or anyone with a passion like woodworking will not be satisfied with a rock even if that rock can hammer that nail. I'm talking about people who want the most out of it.

    BTW your own video shows there's a difference when increasing the resolution, about 10% drop when going from 1080p to 1440, so I could expect at least another 15% drop when going to 2k which is pretty common. Also that CPU has some hard drops, the min FPS is always far from what they call the "average", this causes a visual problem known as FPS drop, where going from 130 to 80 is more annoying than staying at 80 all the time because the difference is noticeable, on top of only happening when there's a lot of action which is even more annoying. No real gamer seriously cares if the game runs at 250 fps while doing nothing.

    But yes, it's serviceable for casuals, just not great for gamers.
    Okay lets explain why you clearly have no clue what you're talking about despite being a "passionate gamer:

    1) yes there are FPS drops from 1080 to 1440 the same way there are fps drops on the 10600k from 1080 to 1440 is the 10600k not a CPU for "Real Gamers" FPS drops happen from 1080 to 1440 because 1440p puts a higher strain on your graphics cards.

    2) lets talk about these 1080 - 1440p drops. The Delta between the 10100 and the 10600k at 1080p in BFV is 18fps. The delta at 1440p is 6 fps. This is because the higher you turn up the resolution the less impact your CPU performance has on your FPS as most of the work is being done by the GPU. Theses results can be seen in other games as well Shadow of the Tomb raider 1080p delta is 41fps 1440p delta is 13. As you can see the difference in CPU quality decreases as resolution rises

    3) Lets talk about these "FPS Drop problems" The average delta between average FPS and 1% min for 1080p gaming on the 10100 is 37. The average delta for the 10600k is 34. So if the 10100 is a bad gaming CPU because of the fps drops then the 10600k is a bad gaming CPU because of the FPS drops.

    4) there wont be another drop going from 1440p to 2k because generally speaking 1440p is refereed to as 2k gaming. You mean 4k Gaming and yes there would be another drop but the delta between CPUs would shrink. If anything the 10100 is better suited to high resolution gaming than it is to 1080p gaming because more strain is on your GPU.

    For someone who is "passionate" about gaming you have no clue what you're talking about. I'd rather have people scrounging up "pocket change from the couch" and building what they can afford that you in the gaming community any day of the week.

  9. #169
    Brewmaster rogoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    in the land of killer unicrons
    Posts
    1,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post
    Sixteen years.... If you havent been able to upgrade or build a computer by that time, you have some serious issues with money and life.

    And maybe you should prioritize something else than WoW.
    like i said, we don't know the OP's circumstances, furthermore not spending money on upgrading something because it suits your needs as is, is a smart use of monetary resources, my PC personally is 7 years old at this point and is really hitting the wall in terms of what it can run at respectable levels of graphical fidelity/framerates, but i don't earn enough to realistically be able to upgrade to anything newer any time soon as all component parts of my machine are the absolute best that the hardware can be, so i'm in a similar situation to the OP in that while i can easily run the current version of the game without any issues, pretty soon i would need to make an upgrade if i still played the game and wanted to keep playing.

    retired march 2013 RIP - returned january 2016, purely because paladins finally get Ashbringer!

  10. #170
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post
    Sixteen years.... If you havent been able to upgrade or build a computer by that time, you have some serious issues with money and life.

    And maybe you should prioritize something else than WoW.
    That is not entirely true if you do not live in the US. Outside of the US parts availability is much lower and costs are much higher.

  11. #171
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlFromThePit View Post
    You're complaining that I have a definition of the word that you don't agree with and then you just make more of your own definitions as if you couldn't see your hypocrisy.
    I didn't define a gamer anywhere. Just what average gamer from Valve statistics uses and how my subjective friends are.

    There's a difference between a definition and a counter argument to your wrong definition. There's not a single type of gamer.

  12. #172
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalika View Post
    That is not entirely true if you do not live in the US. Outside of the US parts availability is much lower and costs are much higher.
    I live outside the US and while pc the best components can be costly at times, its not that dramatically expensive to put together a good pc if you just have a job and make money.

  13. #173
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidhjerta View Post
    I live outside the US and while pc the best components can be costly at times, its not that dramatically expensive to put together a good pc if you just have a job and make money.
    My cousin lives in the UK and he is always complaining that computer hardware cost 25-30% more and that we always have better deals here in the US. It is possible he is exaggerating it to some degree.

  14. #174
    WoW seem to have bottlenecks in cpu usage, totally fixable but no one's gonna bother
    Shadowlands is real world
    The Maw is China
    The Jailer is China government
    Sylvanas is Blizz

  15. #175
    PTR works for me.
    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...lopment-thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    If you are suggesting to take my Night Elfs Shadowmeld away, then please find some pike to run yourself through, tyvm.

  16. #176
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalika View Post
    My cousin lives in the UK and he is always complaining that computer hardware cost 25-30% more and that we always have better deals here in the US. It is possible he is exaggerating it to some degree.
    Yeah it can be tough trying to build a pc if you're not that experienced either, I learned a lot from reddits /r/buildmeapc and buildapc personally.
    They are helpful there and put together a pc in parts for you by a criteria you create yourself (price, with or without extra stuff like kb/mouse and monitor).

  17. #177
    i didnt read most of thread so maybe someone has said this already but:

    games (wow) having craving computure demands is a "deal" that game companies and computure hardware producers have with eachother. if blizzard updates wow every now and then nvidia for example contacts them and be like "hey blizz, would be nice if your next update on wow would require the players to upgrade to our new nvidia graphics card 3000. appreicate it xoxo nvidia" and in return blizz gets a share of the cut from them.

    they rub eachothers backs and we pay both of them.

  18. #178
    Quote Originally Posted by JarJarBinks View Post
    i didnt read most of thread so maybe someone has said this already but:

    games (wow) having craving computure demands is a "deal" that game companies and computure hardware producers have with eachother. if blizzard updates wow every now and then nvidia for example contacts them and be like "hey blizz, would be nice if your next update on wow would require the players to upgrade to our new nvidia graphics card 3000. appreicate it xoxo nvidia" and in return blizz gets a share of the cut from them.

    they rub eachothers backs and we pay both of them.
    Yeeee...
    No.
    This is malpractice and unlawful competition.

    Unless you have any evidence ofc, which you can give to your nearest police department to investigate.

  19. #179
    I am Murloc!
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    5,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Shedaar View Post
    Yeeee...
    No.
    This is malpractice and unlawful competition.

    Unless you have any evidence ofc, which you can give to your nearest police department to investigate.
    Or at very least, make a conspiracy YouTube video, so you can farm them add money on your bullshit.

  20. #180
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalika View Post
    My cousin lives in the UK and he is always complaining that computer hardware cost 25-30% more and that we always have better deals here in the US. It is possible he is exaggerating it to some degree.
    That's not anywhere near the scenario rogoth is painting, though. You should still be perfectly able to afford a new system every few years outside of extreme circumstances.

    Besides, EU prices generally include VAT already, so that might be somewhat misleading.

    Quote Originally Posted by iosdeveloper View Post
    WoW seem to have bottlenecks in cpu usage, totally fixable but no one's gonna bother
    At best, that'd put the bottleneck elsewhere. Having a bottleneck isn't fixable, you can only shift it around. But something is going to end up limiting performance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •