Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    i3/i5/i7/i9 delineate different CPUs within their respective generations. For example, the most recent 10th gen Intel CPUs have i3/i5/i7/i9 versions that basically just go up in core counts, threads, and core speed the higher the number. Now, the minimum requirement is listed as i5-3450... which is from the 3rd generation Intel CPU. So the minimum requirement for Shadowlands is 7 generations older than the most current CPUs released by Intel, clocking in at roughly 8 years old. I'd say that's not really asking much.

I'll also say that the beta runs well on less than the minimum CPU listed, I've tested it.
    Comparing the 10th gen i3 with the i5-3450:
    I5: 4 cores, 4 threads, 6mb cache, 3.10 GHz base frequenzy
    I3-10th gen:5 cores, 5 threads, 4mb cache 2,8 GHz base frequenzy.

And thats the absolute newest gen3. I doubt its gonna run well on an older i3.

Edit:
    its actually 2,8 GHz at max turbo. Even worse :/
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I3's that come out today arent made for gaming they are made for work laptops who needs long battery life or mobile devices.

If you bought a new pc within the last 5 years and you bought and i3 you didnt get it for gaming(or you where an idiot tbh).

I5's are currently the low end gaming processors when it comes to Intel. Wow is reflecting that in shadowlands aswell.

TLDR:
    I3's that are 5 or more years old are outdated. Modern I3's arent made for gaming.
    You do realise that there are Core i3 mobile cpu's and desktop cpu's? So according to you the desktop cpu's are made for work laptops too?

I have a good feeling that no one really knows here what they're talking about, especially thinking about how the i3-9100f was actually praised for being such a good entry gaming CPU...

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    SL’s minimum (not “recommended” but “minimum”) requirement is an i5 processor. I have an i3 that runs GW2 (avoid game vs. game discussion) just fine but can’t run this ancient beast that is WoW? What a ripoff!
    go play GW2 then.

- - - Updated - - -

i3/i5/i7/i9 delineate different CPUs within their respective generations. For example, the most recent 10th gen Intel CPUs have i3/i5/i7/i9 versions that basically just go up in core counts, threads, and core speed the higher the number. Now, the minimum requirement is listed as i5-3450... which is from the 3rd generation Intel CPU. So the minimum requirement for Shadowlands is 7 generations older than the most current CPUs released by Intel, clocking in at roughly 8 years old. I'd say that's not really asking much.

I'll also say that the beta runs well on less than the minimum CPU listed, I've tested it.
    have you been raiding also in groups above 20 people?

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    You do realise that there are Core i3 mobile cpu's and desktop cpu's? So according to you the desktop cpu's are made for work laptops too?

I have a good feeling that no one really knows here what they're talking about, especially thinking about how the i3-9100f was actually praised for being such a good entry gaming CPU...
    The 10th gen of i3 is meant for mobile devices. That doesnt mean there arent a version for desktops. And yes there are T versions of i3 aswell. Its a budget cpu none the less.

Do you know what you get on average with an entry level gaming pc? Its not pretty, i'l tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    They overestimate a lot of the time
    Probably to protect themselves. Makes sense

Currently running the beta perfectly well on an Intel Core 2 Quad q6600 cpu, with 8 gig ram, Nvidia GTX 960 and a cheapo SSD.

Just turn off some of the pointless shinnies that Blizzard seem to love and lower the view distance.

Wow can still run on a potato and their optimization is actually very good (compared to something from... like... bethesda). What are you on about, OP? They keep updating and improving their engine, always implement new APIs quickly and usually well. What more do you want? It's only right to expect a game that intends to be around forever to routinely up the ante on performance specs, because those naturally increase over time anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    SL’s minimum (not “recommended” but “minimum”) requirement is an i5 processor. I have an i3 that runs GW2 (avoid game vs. game discussion) just fine but can’t run this ancient beast that is WoW? What a ripoff!
    Just try it on the ptr: i doubt that if you can run it today that you can't run it in shadowlands.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    I3's that come out today arent made for gaming they are made for work laptops who needs long battery life or mobile devices.

If you bought a new pc within the last 5 years and you bought and i3 you didnt get it for gaming(or you where an idiot tbh).

I5's are currently the low end gaming processors when it comes to Intel. Wow is reflecting that in shadowlands aswell.

TLDR:
    I3's that are 5 or more years old are outdated. Modern I3's arent made for gaming.
    So much condescension there. You're incorrect though. If we were talking about a brand new game that struggles to run on great hardware you might have a point, but we're talking about WoW. WoW was released in the Pentium 4 days, and all the updates they've done over the years have updated the system requirements but you can still run WoW on basically a potato. I can run BFA on a budget laptop from 2012. And I do mean budget. I think I paid $300 for it back in 2012. So it was pretty much bottom of the barrel. It's not ideal, and the settings are LOW, but it works. While waiting for a replacement part earlier this year I was Mythic raiding on my old computer with an i5-750. Yeah. That's ancient FYI, it's a first gen i5. It doesn't even meet the requirements set by Blizzard, but it worked. It'll still likely work in SL if I need to fall back on it for some reason. It's not wonderful or ideal but it works.

Is it going to run amazingly on an i3? Nope, but it'll run well enough to do just about whatever you need it to.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    Not true anymore nowadays.
    how so ? my 2080ti has 14% on max settings wihle 2 of my ryzens 3800x cores are @ 80-90% its still the same dogshit engine that uses 1 core, now days 1 and half cores and no gpu whatsoever
    I.O BFA Season 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course a new I3 can beat this old i5 used as minimum specs.

According to Blizzard, the minimum specs require Windows 7 64-bit, an Intel Core i5-3450 or AMD FX 8300 CPU

Intel Core i5-3450 = April 29, 2012,

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    So much condescension there. You're incorrect though. If we were talking about a brand new game that struggles to run on great hardware you might have a point, but we're talking about WoW. WoW was released in the Pentium 4 days, and all the updates they've done over the years have updated the system requirements but you can still run WoW on basically a potato. I can run BFA on a budget laptop from 2012. And I do mean budget. I think I paid $300 for it back in 2012. So it was pretty much bottom of the barrel. It's not ideal, and the settings are LOW, but it works. While waiting for a replacement part earlier this year I was Mythic raiding on my old computer with an i5-750. Yeah. That's ancient FYI, it's a first gen i5. It doesn't even meet the requirements set by Blizzard, but it worked. It'll still likely work in SL if I need to fall back on it for some reason. It's not wonderful or ideal but it works.

Is it going to run amazingly on an i3? Nope, but it'll run well enough to do just about whatever you need it to.
    Where am i being condescending? And to whom exactly?

What am i incorrect about?

I didnt say you couldnt run wow on older cpu's. But it wont run well. I'm merely informing on why blizzard is updating their minimum requirements to i5.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    Of course a new I3 can beat this old i5 used as minimum specs.

According to Blizzard, the minimum specs require Windows 7 64-bit, an Intel Core i5-3450 or AMD FX 8300 CPU

Intel Core i5-3450 = April 29, 2012,
    The newest i3's, and i do mean newest, arent much better then that i5.

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Frankly WoW's biggest drawback point for me has always been, weirdly enough, disk drive speed.
    I have a 250gb SSD with my OS, WOW and a few other things on it. With the prepatch I could not get WoW to update, so I moved it ton one of my 2TB secondary HDDs. Dear god, the loading speed is atrocious now. I am ordering a 1TB SSD for WoW because of how ridiculous it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    Graphics after a certain point serve no purpose but as "fluff" for our eyes.

I am sure the graphic level of Half Life 2 is enough to display any game and it will be properly understood in terms of functionality by players.

But making it look a looooot nicer is what drives the sales of both games and hardware.
    I'm 39 but all i can say to this pile of bullcrap is: ok, boomer
    Let me guess, best phone is Nokia3310, best car toyota prius, best console PS3 etc...
    Who needs better if we can just stop in technological evolution? It's just "fluff"

Quote Originally Posted by Vilendor View Post
    I'm 39 but all i can say to this pile of bullcrap is: ok, boomer
    Let me guess, best phone is Nokia3310, best car toyota prius, best console PS3 etc...
    Who needs better if we can just stop in technological evolution? It's just "fluff"
    Forget about immersion. Lets cut sound aswell. We dont relly need that. From now on only text based computer games with minimal gui. 1-2 imputs. Its all good

I bought a 3090 just to run WoW on Medium settings

Too many i3 - i7 generations for their mentions to mean anything. Which i3 do you have? Which i5 is required? The specifics matter on how well the CPU can run WoW which is still a CPU heavy game. Chances are if you are playing retail with little issues, SL won't be an issue.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Absolutely is. It's the biggest factor for your fps if you have anything newer then = to a 1050 or more.

(Obviously 4k will need a better gpu but I'm talking average wow hardware.)

Single core speeds give you the best gain on max. Just going from a ryzen 1700x at 4.4ghz to a 3600x at 3.8 gave me about 30fps with my 1080.

I'd take a intel 10kblabla over a 2080 any day for wow.
    Last edited by Drench; 2020-09-24 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kodemonkee View Post
    Not true anymore nowadays.
    logged in, opened my task manager, closed everything else, cpu 40%, gpu 1%. wow still very much relies on you cpu for most of its processing, thats why you can run high settings on older video cards.

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

I've raided in BFA (20man raid) with i5 2nd gen didn't have any problem at all , all settings high with minimum 60 fps not less, cant prove it now because I haven't play wow for months and already upgraded my system to almost top tier, just waiting for RTX30.

xXx English is not my first language xXx