Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lightbulb M.2 NVME vs SSD vs HDD in World of Warcraft

Nothing too surprising there, except perhaps the speed the HDD loads at. Then again, I've been on SSD's since 2012 so I couldn't really remember Ever tried any Raid0 testing?

And you dont get that much with NVMe from a sata SSD. Raid0 is almost unnoticeable in loading times for most games.

Yep. I switched from a hard drive to an SSD in legion. Went from literal 5 minute loading times when logging in to the game in dalaran to 5 seconds. Was f'in incredible.

With hard drive I would try logging into the game, go make some coffee, go to the bathroom, prepare some snacks, go talk to my roommate and come back with the game still at the last 10-15%.

It's criminal how poorly hard drives run WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Yep. I switched from a hard drive to an SSD in legion. Went from literal 5 minute loading times when logging in to the game in dalaran to 5 seconds. Was f'in incredible.

With hard drive I would try logging into the game, go make some coffee, go to the bathroom, prepare some snacks, go talk to my roommate and come back with the game still at the last 10-15%.

It's criminal how poorly hard drives run WoW.
    That slow of a load time sounds like addons rather than WoW itself, but yeah the SSD jump is one of the most noticeable ones someone can make. It honestly baffles me when I hear about people still using HDD for gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

2TB toshiba crap shouldn't be in this comparison. It has 64MB cache, yikes

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean NVME is faster, in some cases, but it's bonus is largely that it's faster for (in most cases) the same price.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by aeuhe4yxzhds View Post
    Thats why i dont use it for playing wow, but its a pretty popular model.

There is a pretty huge difference between HDDs to be fair, you're right. Something like a Caviar Black would crush that Toshiba.

10+ Year Old Account
    It was truly night and day when i finally did a fresh install of win 10 from my HDD to my NVME SSD, same goes for WoW for that matter

when you go to sdd, you never come back to hdd..
    the difference is huge

just rebooting your pc is wonderful, from 1-2 minute to 2-5 sec
    in mmo game, its go from minutes to a few second to load the game and loading graphic in game is nearly instant

Speaking in general, getting an SSD has been the single best upgrade you can do for your PC since many years now. I don't think people can expect game developers to optimize their games for HDDs anymore. Getting an SSD is quite cheap too, so no reason not to have one. Getting a big one is a quality of life, but even if you can only afford a 250gb one, you can go with it and just put your games in it.

The difference between M2 and SSD seems greater here than in other videos I've seen.

I need to buy a new system soon, but M2 doesn't seem like a must. It would be nice though. And it's not that much more expensive. I would be interested in seeing the differences between SSDs as well.

I'm using a non-M2 SSD, and WoW loads plenty fast regardless.

I had considered upgrading my PC for Shadowlands, but then I shelved that idea. Maybe Cyberpunk 2077 could necessitate it, but that's a big maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Throw in few hundred MBs of addons and you're looking at minutes on HDD.
    The difference between SSD vs NVME isn't that much.
    Obviously when buying now go for NVME, but I wouldn't upgrade from SSD to NVME just for the heck of it.
    Last edited by druidicitus; 2020-09-27 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
    English is not my mainspec!

What, you expect people who're still using HDDs for gaming to actually have good HDDs?

What about PCIe 4.0 vs PCIe 3.0. Would it be worth to upgrade 3.0 MOBO and 3.0 NVME SSD to 4.0 MOBO and 4.0 NVME SSD for games?

My current PC is from late 2013 (plan on getting a new high-end soon for Cyberpunk77) with the OS installed on a 125GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD, while games were installed on a 1TB WD Black Cavier HDD. Games were taking foreveeeeeer to load more so from wear of it...

Bought a 1TB Samsung EVO 960 SSD last Black Friday sales for €90, but was never used collecting dust... never got around to installing it since I didn't have a SATA cable for it.

Genius that I am ditched the DVD recently to replace it with the 1TB SSD... life changing loading WoW now!
    Last edited by Daedius; 2020-09-27 at 02:04 PM.

I can't believe we're still discussing HDD's in 2020.

The discussion should be NVMe vs SSD.

If you still have a HDD, get a job. If you still rely on SSD's, get a better job.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    This seems incredible. Are there any downsides to using an NVME?