Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As others have already said; even with the subscription fee wow is still one of the least expensive forms of entertainment that you can get.

Even when only playing 1 hour a day that $20 a month is still a better deal than the vast majority of other games, especially triple a titles which you're unlikely to get close to 30 hours playtime total.
    Speciation Is Gradual

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblakoff View Post
    The monthy fee is the last thing that keeps WoW from becoming p2w shitfest. And while we are at it, remove the token from the game.
    Yes, please remove the pay to win token from the game. Fucking thing ruined wow almost as bad as flying mounts did.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jackson View Post
    Before you even think of giving me that fucking "20$ is the cost of a meal" shit, please take 1 second out of your ADD life and realize this thread is not asking for monthly fees to be removed.

It's just personally, now that I'm not 15 anymore (and I imagine this applies to many other old WoW players), 1 month of game time is enough for me to complete the main quest and gtfo to do adult shit that needs to be done.

The only way I would pay a fee to do some BGs or dungeons on a friday night afterwards is if I had the option to pay like 2$ for a day of gametime, because everything else is just a waste of money I could spend to buy some other good games on a sale on Steam.

20$ CAD x 12 + expansions costs = pretty much 300$ CAD (THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS) for a single game, where I would play for a month and then log in a day or 2 a week. Even bought with 6 months increments, this would still go way above cost/amount played to justify.

For that amount of money, I can buy anywhere from 10-20 games on sale that would offer more interesting gameplay or story or multiplayer experiences than WoW does, and which most importantly, I could play ANY TIME I WANTED.

The only thing I would be missing is pissing off millenials in world PVP, knocking people off Lumber mill in AB and doing some mind numbing dailies to fill up a bar enough time until I get another horse.

And I would pay money to do that shit, for nostalgia if nothing else....just not 20$/month worth of money.
    You understand nothing about market.

Blizzard offers this gaming service for 20$ a month. You either accept it for what it is or get the fuck out without saying a word.

People are not kept away because of the monthly fee, these same people are throwing 500+ a year in fucking LoL Annie skins to quench their pedo thirst.
    People are kept away because this is a 15 years old game that should have been shut down when Arthas was first killed.

Being able to buy game minutes might be a viable alternative (like, i could just buy 100 hours and log in for 2 hours a night and be good for 50 days or so). But really, its $15. If $15 sub is to prohibitive I don't think they're going to be able to entice people in with a slightly different payment model.

Quote Originally Posted by urfaustus View Post
    Interesting thread... Made me think about how to justify paying a monthly sub for retail WoW... Classic feels more worth it than any other game. even then. WoW doesn't feel like a service the way it used to.
    Blizzard is Activision, there is no way servers need the payment for staying online like they used to, and all servers are merged anyway

I'm playing Divinity 2 atm and it feels evil that I am playing lizzard monthly and not larian games
    Why do people fixate on server maintenance as if that's the only expense that Blizzard has? Property taxes in the LA area have got to be brutal. Add in electricity, water, sewage, and everything else needed for any business to operate. Then add in salaries, 401ks, benefits like health insurance offered to employees. Blizz is probably saving millions of dollars this year not having to pay to rent out a huge complex for Blizzcon which they do every year. It was in my local Bay Area paper that some municipalities are considering a head tax on the big employers to rake in more benefit from big companies.

As for your mention about classic, it's irrelevant. You get retail and classic for your sub. If you one or the other alone or even both together justifies the sub well, then there you are. Guys who pay the sub for retail, guys who pay the sub for classic, guys who pay the sub for both.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Before you even think of giving me that fucking "20$ is the cost of a meal" shit, please take 1 second out of your ADD life and realize this thread is not asking for monthly fees to be removed.

It's just personally, now that I'm not 15 anymore (and I imagine this applies to many other old WoW players), 1 month of game time is enough for me to complete the main quest and gtfo to do adult shit that needs to be done.

The only way I would pay a fee to do some BGs or dungeons on a friday night afterwards is if I had the option to pay like 2$ for a day of gametime, because everything else is just a waste of money I could spend to buy some other good games on a sale on Steam.

20$ CAD x 12 + expansions costs = pretty much 300$ CAD (THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS) for a single game, where I would play for a month and then log in a day or 2 a week. Even bought with 6 months increments, this would still go way above cost/amount played to justify.

For that amount of money, I can buy anywhere from 10-20 games on sale that would offer more interesting gameplay or story or multiplayer experiences than WoW does, and which most importantly, I could play ANY TIME I WANTED.

The only thing I would be missing is pissing off millenials in world PVP, knocking people off Lumber mill in AB and doing some mind numbing dailies to fill up a bar enough time until I get another horse.

And I would pay money to do that shit, for nostalgia if nothing else....just not 20$/month worth of money.
    Man literally every single post or thread from you is complaining about the game. maybe it's time for you to move on

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it is a matter of monthly fee options. GW2 is completely free aside from the 1st purchase, then every 1 and half year you spend another 30-40$ for new expac. But it is still not as populated as WoW. I think it all boils down to having more games to play these days. There are too many f2p options where we can go in, have fun for a few months and then switch to another.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    You started off fine, but if you seriously think that "this ... 15 years old game ... should have been shut down when Arthas was first killed" - I guess "You understand nothing about market."...just in a different way than OP
    You don't to stop your thought process at "if WoW is shut down it means zero money coming in". You're supposed to think about all the amazing and much better games they could have made instead, and all the bigger money that comes with them. Knowing market is not about doubling down on what makes you money now, it's also about thinking of all the other ways you could make money if you were not constipating yourself on one thing forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihazpaws View Post
    Yes, please remove the pay to win token from the game. Fucking thing ruined wow almost as bad as flying mounts did.
    how exactly did flying mounts ruin the game? if you dont want to fly dont hit the spacebar or use a ground mount?

I dont see why the couldnt add pay per hour. Its already implemented, just needs to be enabled in the west. I dont see an argument as to why it shouldn’t be a option.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by dojichan View Post
    A few things:
    Isn't a wow subscription 15$ ? I only buy them in gold atm so I don't watch but I feel like 20$ is higher then it is,

Honestly this would be to their advantage; It is true that buying one day at a time(2$) would be expensive because of credit card fees... There is another approach. Allow players to buy 8 days of playing(so they can log on 8 times over one month) for 10 dollars(or so)...

You save money if you are rarely playing...They make money off someone who wouldn't normally pay. Win win and not hard to program.
    and they loose money of people who rarely play and still pay, which would most likely cost them much more than they would make from "daily" sub...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lulbalance View Post
    The fanboys can defend the rigidity of a 15 year old profit model, fact is...
    ... that if you consider inflation alone the sub should be higher today
    be glad they did not increase it, they could and people would still pay it bcs it is fucking worth it...
    Last edited by Lolites; 2020-09-27 at 06:00 PM.

Theres an option to just buy a month my dude.. I've been doing this since I started the game..
    I've never ever had enough money to keep a subscription running for more then 1-2 months.

op is right i dont know a single person still playing wow outside myself, used to know dozens personally, everyone just laughs at paying a monthly fee these days when i bring up checking it out. i think they could get a higher playerbase and possibly more revenue by modernizing their monetization platform, wow is still in 2004 in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    op is right i dont know a single person still playing wow outside myself, used to know dozens personally, everyone just laughs at paying a monthly fee these days when i bring up checking it out. i think they could get a higher playerbase and possibly more revenue by modernizing their monetization platform, wow is still in 2004 in that regard.
    thank god for that, it keeps a lot of morons out of the game... some people think the game is toxic now, imagine how horrible it would be if it was not on sub...

and if they were not on sub, how else would they get more revenue than via cash shop? so goodbye cosmetic only shop, wellcome mythic raid gear and xp boosts and stat boosts and other shit on shop...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Usernameforforums View Post
    I dont see why the couldnt add pay per hour. Its already implemented, just needs to be enabled in the west. I dont see an argument as to why it shouldn’t be a option.
    bcs they would most likely loose money...
    not to mention people whine NOW how they are forced to grind, if they added option to pay per hour pointless grind would only increase...

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post
    thank god for that, it keeps a lot of morons out of the game... some people think the game is toxic now, imagine how horrible it would be if it was not on sub...

and if they were not on sub, how else would they get more revenue than via cash shop? so goodbye cosmetic only shop, wellcome mythic raid gear and xp boosts and stat boosts and other shit on shop...

- - - Updated - - -

not to mention people whine NOW how they are forced to grind, if they added option to pay per hour pointless grind would only increase...
    I agree with 99% of this but would just like say that it seems like them not already having an xp boost is a huge wasted revenue opportunity

States they are not 15 anymore and a big boy, yet cries at the thought of paying $20/month. If $20/month is too much for you, and you think that you can have a better time elsewhere... Do it. Bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    if the only thing keeping your friends from playing the game is the thought of paying a monthly sub when you can just.. buy a month outside of the sub x_x i dont understand. You can do this with WoW and FFXIV lol. Subs are not a requirement.

Even if money is an issue.. with 1 month of game time.. you have a good enough time to farm the necessary gold to buy another month. That's how I've been keeping myself subbed up. The minute they allowed me to pay with gold.. I never looked back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolites View Post

- - - Updated - - -

They wouldn’t lose money. The pay per hour option would likely cost more than monthly just like monthly cost more than biannually.

It would be an additional option, not replace. Thats what op is asking for.

In fact, they would make money as a lot more people would like to play the game but just cant get over the fact that they have to spend monthly. Pay per hour would allow people that can only play on weekend, pay only on weekends.
    DRAGONFLIGHT BETA CLUB

20USD is like 2-3 days work in developing countries, and I think Blizzard should reduce subscription fees exclusively to those areas and allow them access to the nearest server, although I don't see how they can prevent people from richer countries from abusing this.