Thread: WoW Expansions

WoW Expansions

Blizzard haven't truly "expanded" the game/universe since Vanilla’s last patch because everything before these "expansions" become useless and abandoned.

"Expansions" as they are in WoW, are basically season passes to new areas. And when the new shiny thing is announced, the ride's over and you wait to get on the new thing for a ride around.

A true Expansion wouldn't devalue and dismiss everything that came before it, but rather build upon it.

I really hope that this new 10-50 timewalking system is only the start of something bigger (and hopefully see it change to 10-60 in 10.0) and that leveling will not extend beyond level 60 ever again.

If they bothered doing a squish, I hope so too. Just keep it at level 60 max level, otherwise they'll have the same problem again years down the road. At least those of us who had 120's have a cool feat of strength to look back on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    If they bothered doing a squish, I hope so too. Just keep it at level 60 max level, otherwise they'll have the same problem again years down the road. At least those of us who had 120's have a cool feat of strength to look back on.
    I also think that it would be a bad idea to release anymore classic servers like TBC or wrath and instead, they should invest in creating a new tech where players would keep playing on the same retail server but be jailed in a specific expansion with characters locked to specific expansions and can only be accessed via separate login screens but on the same server as retail. That way they can keep communicating with the same community / server population.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    Blizzard haven't truly "expanded" the game/universe since Vanilla’s last patch because everything before these "expansions" become useless and abandoned.

"Expansions" as they are in WoW, are basically season passes to new areas. And when the new shiny thing is announced, the ride's over and you wait to get on the new thing for a ride around.

A true Expansion wouldn't devalue and dismiss everything that came before it, but rather build upon it.

I really hope that this new 10-50 timewalking system is only the start of something bigger (and hopefully see it change to 10-60 in 10.0) and that leveling will not extend beyond level 60 ever again.
    Of course true expansions devalue and dismiss the past. Expansions in other MMO's do the exact same thing WoW does: new gear that outstrips the old, new zones that people move onto.

I think you're thinking of DLC, which, for many games, is a small addon, like extra gear or a special cutscene or a new class or a quest that they can do with the base game and all of its features. An expansion, though, is always a hefty change from the original.

Quote Originally Posted by RemasteredClassic View Post
    I also think that it would be a bad idea to release anymore classic servers like TBC or wrath and instead, they should invest in creating a new tech where players would keep playing on the same retail server but be jailed in a specific expansion with characters locked to specific expansions and can only be accessed via separate login screens but on the same server as retail. That way they can keep communicating with the same community / server population.
    That sounds like just an awful idea. Why in the world should I be "jailed" into the same server and the same expansion with my main, Darsithis, for example, unable to ever raid new instances, unable to level again, unable to see new content?

If you say so, I guess?

Fact is that the world is expanded, you can go to so many new areas besides the Cataclysm (literal revamp) zones. Sorry to burst your feels.

"A true Expansion wouldn't devalue and dismiss everything that came before it, but rather build upon it."

Meanwhile, in the actual, literal world of expansions being added to games since forever BEFORE they began season pass-BS:...

Old zones are relevant to those whom it concerns. Will it be leveling alts, or farming old content for cosmetics or whatever. If Cata zones were still a big deal of everyday gameplay 10 years later, well... It'd be f-ing idiotic, and certainly mean less added with each expansion, so as to not overwhelm people, what with all the old-ass content still being kept relevant to appease the crowd unable to visit old content unless the game tells them that's where they should be...

Classic, TBC and WOTLK if they happen, will offer the "lock" concept. Have fun.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2020-09-28 at 02:51 PM.