Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    naww ACAB is right, All Communists Are Bastards!
    This is confusing... do you think there is no police under communism?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Rung View Post
    Prejudice doesn't turn rational just because you aim it at something that's a choice. If you're prejudiced against religious people, you're still prejudiced against a group of people that has made a choice. Does elegiac apply this? No, he insisted it's not the same to be judging people's choices.
    Are you trying to make the claim that we shouldn’t be prejudiced towards adults who make certain choices despite being grown-ass adults who should know better? I mean it’s a choice to commit premeditated murder, should we not be prejudiced against people who make that choice?

7+ Year Old Account
    Prejudice doesn't turn rational just because you aim it at something that's a choice. If you're prejudiced against religious people, you're still prejudiced against a group of people that has made a choice. Does elegiac apply this? No, he insisted it's not the same to be judging people's choices.
    Indeed and if it were okay to generalize groups that were based on choices then does that mean it is okay to negatively generalize trans people who choose to wear certain clothes and get hormone treatment? I say no, most trans people are good people who made the right choice, even though some minority of them of them later learn that hormones and operations were a harmful choice.

Negatively judging and generalizing a group of people is only okay when the judgement is universally correct. For example we can judge all felons as "wrong-doers" because by definition a felon is a person who did something wrong. But when there is a significant amount of cases where a generalization doesn't hold up then that's when it turns into a *stereotype*, which is bigoted and unethical. (ie ACAB)
    Last edited by PC2; 2020-09-28 at 02:11 PM.

Good.

Should have continued to taze some more sense into her.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Nope. Just takes the bad ones to be in the right places to protect the other bad ones. Ive met meany cops. They are generally good people.

That said, tasering is the expected out come for resisting arrest.
    Individual gang members are also often good people. Individual nazi in ww2 could have been “good” people just following orders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewOU2015 View Post
    https://www.pennlive.com/news/2020/0...ng-a-mask.html

The #backtheblue #bluelivesmatter #thinblueline crowd arent supporting this police officer. Some people are calling him a security guard.

"The woman, Alecia Kitts, was watching her son’s game in the bleachers with her mother, who was also not wearing a mask, says The Marietta Times. The two were approached by the school’s assistant principal, Adam Twiss, to comply with the mandatory face coverings policy despite being outside and socially distanced. The officer was also called upon to intervene.

In the video recorded by fellow game-watchers, Kitts can be seen resisting the school resource officer’s attempt to handcuff her. In the midst of the struggle, the resource officer tasers her in the back, causing her to fall to the ground and finally be subdued."

These people are the first to congratulate the police when they shoot an unarmed man but now they are having a fit over this.
    Lawlz at the officer not wearing his mask correctly, but having the audacity to arrest someone not wearing one.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Indeed and if it were okay to generalize groups that were based on choices then does that mean it is okay to negatively generalize trans people who choose to wear certain clothes and get hormone treatment? I say no, most trans people are good people who made the right choice, even though some minority of them of them later learn that hormones and operations were a harmful choice.

Negatively judging and generalizing a group of people is only okay when the judgement is universally correct. For example we can judge all felons as "wrong-doers" because by definition a felon is a person who did something wrong. But when there is a significant amount of cases where a generalization doesn't hold up then that's when it turns into a *stereotype*, which is bigoted and unethical. (ie ACAB)
    Well based on your definition ACAB fits just fine.

The judgement is universally correct.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorensen View Post
    Well based on your definition ACAB fits just fine.

The judgement is universally correct.
    They're not all bad people... Cops are normal people who need jobs just like everyone else... You should sit down and have coffee with some LEOs, it would allow you to humanize them and realize they're not all vicious racists and pigs.

Democrat leaders don't even want any drastic changes to law enforcement so this is entire "movement" is a dead-end anyways.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're not all bad people... Cops are normal people who need jobs just like everyone else... You should sit down and have coffee with some LEOs, it would allow you to humanize them and realize they're not all vicious racists and pigs.

Democrat leaders don't even want any drastic changes to law enforcement so this is entire "movement" is a dead-end anyways.
    As a person of color I am not going to put myself in a position to get murdered ok.
    Driving on Sunshine.

PM for Tesla referral code.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't prejudice.

In any department, if you have any officer with more than a single active abuse-of-power or abuse-of-force complaint against them, who's not stuck to a desk while it's investigated and cleared, your entire department's leadership are "bad cops" and the entire department is corrupt and complicit.

In any department, if you have any officer with any abuse-of-power or abuse-of-force complaints where the officer was deemed at fault and that officer was not summarily fired with cause, and barred from working in policing anywhere ever again, that entire system and the officers therein who support it are all bad cops and corrupt.

Any officer who supports the "thin blue line" bullshit, that's a bad cop.

And so on.

This isn't "prejudice". It's judgement of every individual officer in question for whom and what they support. Just because most of them fail this very simple bar does not mean it's somehow "prejudice"; it means your policing standards are broken.

And as a for-instance; while I hold Canadian police to the same standards, they generally pass them easily, which is why there's no massive outcry here in Canada about police brutality. The closest we get is some issues with treatment of First Nations peoples, and that is an issue, but it's also an issue that RCMP leadership (for instance) have admitted is terrible and which they're actively working to correct and redress. American police have, with their own brutality issues, largely not done so; they refuse to admit the problem exists.

- - - Updated - - -

Are there vicious racists and pigs in their department?

Are these "good guy" LEOs working with those racists and pigs, rather than working to have them ousted from the force immediately?

Then those LEOs you're talking about are also racist pigs. They're just less overt about it. Looking the other way while your buddy beats up a black teenager means you're a corrupt, racist cop, as much as the guy delivering the beating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah it's because all these fucking phonies wearing their back the blue punisher bullshit don't really give a fuck about cops.

I KNOW COPS good friends with COPS and one of the very real thing they deal with more than people that might be hostile or hate them for no reason, are the people who wear all this back the blue shit. Because 9/10 situations just like that, the moment these COPS actually have to do their jobs, these Blue Lives Matter jackasses will be the first thinking they are OWED a break.

I am serious the cops I know almost rather be hated than to have someone kissing their ass or pretending to back them for political reasons, it's almost virtually the same with military vets.

YES they wear a Uniform but 90% are just regular people
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    If most cops were good people, the bad apples would get thrown out and put in jail. Not moved to a different city.
    Most cops are good people.

The problem is the police unions and higher ups protect the bad apples. Those people are almost as bad as the bad cops they protect. But most of the run of the mill cops, the ones driving the patrol cars and out on the streets, are probably decent people. I've worked with a few.

There is a terrible system in place that protects the bad cops, and the police need serious reform. But "all cops are bad" is a terribly wrong statement.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Insisting it isn't prejudice to judge all cops by what some do doesn't mean it isn't prejudice.
    And that's not what's going on.

All cops are being held to account to a single metric, and most are failing to meet it. And are judged individually for that individual failure. That it's so widespread condemns the root systems of policing itself.

Again; there is no "prejudice" at play, here. You're making that shit up, based on fuck-all and nothing. It's entirely in your own head, because you don't want to admit to the facts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Most cops are good people.

The problem is the police unions and higher ups protect the bad apples. Those people are almost as bad as the bad cops they protect. But most of the run of the mill cops, the ones driving the patrol cars and out on the streets, are probably decent people. I've worked with a few.

There is a terrible system in place that protects the bad cops, and the police need serious reform. But "all cops are bad" is a terribly wrong statement.
    I'm gonna want to see some actual data to back up that "most".

I see this whole thing as pretty similar to the attempts to defend German soldiers in the '30s and '40s as "not Nazis, just patriots". That view is nonsense. They were Nazis. Yes, that means almost the entire population of Germany had ancestors who were Nazis within living memory. Germany seems to "get" that. It's weird that so many people outside of Germany think it's somehow an objectionable understanding of history.

https://medium.com/@HolocaustMuseum/...an-51ff4aa6178
    And here's a half-hour-ish video essay by Three Arrows, drawing this exact parallel, and his own personal perspective as a German himself;
    Gonna link, not embed, because while I think it's a good vid, it's a bit of a side-track; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu-MDEXwV4s

Edit: Take note that the theme of the video is looking into how empty the "not all X are bad" statements actually are, it isn't equating American cops and Nazis, and arguing that would be deliberately dishonest.
    Last edited by Endus; 2020-09-28 at 05:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It clearly is what's going on.
    Based on what?

I've already explained why it isn't, and your entire position is just an empty, baseless insistence that you're right despite that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Based on elegiac`s own posts.
    And going by this early post of theirs;

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac
    Also, hint: the voluntary nature of association means the internal culture is self-sorting, which is why good cops tend to get fired or involuntarily committed.
    You're wrong about that, and have been misrepresenting them in exactly the way I described this entire thread, dishonestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then by this logic it's not prejudice to judge all religions and the followers by what some of them have done. That's also voluntary.
    Both wrong and a misrepresentation of what Elegiac had been saying.

You're not making arguments, you're just demonstrating your personal bad faith.

7+ Year Old Account
    Then by this logic it's not prejudice to judge all religions and the followers by what some of them have done. That's also voluntary.
    Religion is an idea though so it's okay to be prejudiced towards ideas but not the followers as a group of people. For example there's never anything wrong with Muslims as a group of people but there can be things that are wrong with the ideas in Islam. Ideas are what motivate people so all behavioral issues should be addressed at the level of ideas/policies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not wrong at all nor a misrepresentation. You just don't like it when the logic is applied in other circumstances.
    It's not logic to begin with. You're just lying about what other people have said.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Both wrong and a misrepresentation of what Elegiac had been saying.

You're not making arguments, you're just demonstrating your personal bad faith.
    You are totally right endus. All Communists Are Bastards. After all any one can stop being a communist at will.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

No, it's clear as a day what he said. Voluntary association means it's self-sorting and thus it's not prejudice to judge those people for their choice. Religions are voluntary associations too but because reasons it shouldn't apply to them.
    Not remotely in the same way. Without getting into religious discussion as that's off-topic, you don't simply "look for a new religion" like one does a new job. You don't choose a religion for the same reasons you choose a job.

It's a dishonest comparison, regardless of if you believe in a religion or not, that blatantly ignores massive differences between a faith and a profession.