Page 26 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Really? What fucking alternate reality did you pull this shit from? The Democrats have NEVER held up a nomination, but Republicans did in 2016 with Garland. And now, there should NEVER be a nomination in an election year.
    It's grossly revisionist nonsense, almost a perfect inversion of reality. I was going to say I hope they're that sanguine when they're on the receiving end of it, but I don't even give a shit anymore.
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astalnar View Post
    The Dems paved the way. The Republicans followed their example. What's your argument here? Nuclear option was OK for everything but the SCOTUS?

The one who holds majority in the senate is the one who dictates the rules. Everything else is just empty talk, and the Dems throughout the years demonstrated times and times again, that they're perfectly willing to hold Reps to the rules they set up, while not following them themselves. Now they get to see it the other way around.
    Saying a whole lot, while nothing at all. Here is a simple question... Why do you care if GOP are hypocrites? Like you said, GOP has the senate majority, so there is nothing DNC can do regardless. So... Why make up shit, to pretend GOP is being “fair”? You support a president lies to you... Why do you care that they are also hypocrites?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    It's grossly revisionist nonsense, almost a perfect inversion of reality. I was going to say I hope they're that sanguine when they're on the receiving end of it, but I don't even give a shit anymore.
    It also doesn’t make sense... Why bother? With everything that Trump is doing on regular basis, why is hypocrisy, something they feel the need to defend?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I know some want the court extended enough to give dems the advantage, but honestly I wouldn't feel good about that. Assuming Barrett gets the seat, to me that makes one of the last three appointments bogus.

While Kennedy retiring and the circumstances of his son etc... is sketchy, I'm not aware of any evidence that proves something fucked up happened.

If you remove republican hypocrisy, that means either Gorsuch or Barrett is an invalid appointment. Either it's okay to appoint a judge in an election year or it isn't. Either way, republicans should lose a seat.

I'd support expanding the court to 11 seats and conservatives keeping a one seat advantage, which is what they should have. Not only would I like to see term limits, but each new president (from an election) should also get to replace the longest sitting judge.
    I'd be good with that. Republicans could have just gotten to 5-4 legitimately but now here we are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    It also doesn’t make sense... Why bother? With everything that Trump is doing on regular basis, why is hypocrisy, something they feel the need to defend?
    I don't know. I just know that they have made it inescapable that we can comfortably ignore anything Republicans have to say
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

Anything to keep from having to ask "...are we the baddies?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    Anything to keep from having to ask "...are we the baddies?"
    It must be that ol’ antiestablishment... lol
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

Saying a whole lot, while nothing at all. Here is a simple question... Why do you care if GOP are hypocrites? Like you said, GOP has the senate majority, so there is nothing DNC can do regardless. So... Why make up shit, to pretend GOP is being “fair”? You support a president lies to you... Why do you care that they are also hypocrites?
    I think you misunderstand. I don't care if Reps are hypocrites. From my point of view, we're way past the stage "we might have difference of opinion, but we must work together" type of talk. The political arena got so polarised that the two camps see enemies in eachother. So, no mercy, no negotiation, no remorse. I applaud that. Because the Dems with thier Alinsky tactics were doing that same shit for the past 70 years, while holding Reps up to their own standards. Now Reps are playing for the keeps, and the Dems don't know what to do, because the Reps refuse to just roll over and lose, like they did for past half a century. And the Dems are the ones to fault for that.

I think Kavanaugh was an eyeopener for whole lot of bowtied by the book Reps. They realised the Dems want to see them ruined. The self preservation instinct kicked in. And by Trump takeover of the Rep party, the 28 or so Rep Senators who are up for reelction come November know very well the base will spit them out if they don't get Barret confirmed. What do they have to fear from the Democrat voters? That they won't vote for them? Like they didn't vote for them until now?

Pray that Breyer doesn't die a week before election, because then the Senate will in a matter of couple of days push through and confirm another Trump pick. And all the reeeeeeeeeeeeeees will be worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you misunderstand. I don't care if Reps are hypocrites.
    Funny... because...

From my point of view, we're way past the stage "we might have difference of opinion, but we must work together" type of talk. The political arena got so polarised that the two camps see enemies in eachother. So, no mercy, no negotiation, no remorse. I applaud that. Because the Dems with thier Alinsky tactics were doing that same shit for the past 70 years, while holding Reps up to their own standards. Now Reps are playing for the keeps, and the Dems don't know what to do, because the Reps refuse to just roll over and lose, like they did for past half a century. And the Dems are the ones to fault for that.
    That’s a strange thing to say for someone who doesn’t care. Is it dems fault that you got so wound up, you posted explicit sexual content about minors in a gaming forum, to defend a murderer?

Edit: Full disclosure, I am the one who reported you for that.

I think Kavanaugh was an eyeopener for whole lot of bowtied by the book Reps. They realised the Dems want to see them ruined. The self preservation instinct kicked in. And by Trump takeover of the Rep party, the 28 or so Rep Senators who are up for reelction come November know very well the base will spit them out if they don't get Barret confirmed. What do they have to fear from the Democrat voters? That they won't vote for them? Like they didn't vote for them until now?
    Do you not care or do you take political actions personally?

Pray that Breyer doesn't die a week before election, because then the Senate will in a matter of couple of days push through and confirm another Trump pick. And all the reeeeeeeeeeeeeees will be worth it.
    What?

Edit: Here is novel idea... How about we don’t let people who consider their fellow Americans as some unrepentant enemy, select SCOTUS judges... or have any judicial power what so ever?
    Last edited by Felya; 2020-09-28 at 11:17 AM.

-snip-
    He's trolling, and he'll get banned again soon enough for saying something out of bounds. I've reported him too, because he deserves it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    He's trolling, and he'll get banned again soon enough for saying something out of bounds. I've reported him too, because he deserves it.
    No, this is 100% him... no need to provide “trolling” as cover... this is 100% reflection of his character.

No, this is 100% him... no need to provide “trolling” as cover... this is 100% reflection of his character.
    I know, I'm being polite.

Funny... because...

That’s a strange thing to say for someone who doesn’t care. Is it dems fault that you got so wound up, you posted explicit sexual content about minors in a gaming forum, to defend a murderer?

Edit: Full disclosure, I am the one who reported you for that.

Do you not care or do you take political actions personally?

What?

Edit: Here is novel idea... How about we don’t let people who consider their fellow Americans as some unrepentant enemy, select SCOTUS judges... or have any judicial power what so ever?
    Don't go twitsting the truth. I posted a a judicial document, a sentencing of a stupid dead pedohile who sexually abused five little boys aged from 5 to 11, describing the wicked things the dead pedophile you feel so strongly about defending committed. That the truth of it upset you enough to report me, tells me all I need to know about you. For one, I would not let any children near you, or in your vicinity. I'm glad you came out openly.

Now lets stick to the discussion at hand. Are you capable of that, or do you feel the need to defend your "tendencies" as something "natural" or "normal"?

Both sides consider their fellow Americans as some unrepentant enemy. You can thank your side for that.
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-09-28 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    there is no right to an abortion in the constitution. Your logic does not apply.

Why would I help pay for other peoples abortions? If you can't book a day off and don't have a friend or someone that can drive you across state lines? Or maybe take some responsibility and realize that even when using protection, you are consenting to all the possibilities that can happen from sex. IE. STDs, getting pregnant, etc.
    The 14th Amendment disagrees with you.

- - - Updated - - -

Don't go twitsting the truth. I posted a a judicial document, a sentencing of a stupid dead pedohile who sexually abused five little boys aged from 5 to 11, describing the wicked things the dead pedophile you feel so strongly about defending committed. That the truth of it upset you enough to report me, tells me all I need to know about you. For one, I would not let any children near you, or in your vicinity. I'm glad you came out openly.

Now lets stick to the discussion at hand. Are you capable of that, or do you feel the need to defend your "tendencies" as something "natural" or "normal"?

Both sides consider their fellow Americans as some unrepentant enemy. You can thank your side for that.
    You support a guy who owned a pageant where he peeped in on underage girls...

Oh, the irony.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    there is no right to an abortion in the constitution. Your logic does not apply.

Why would I help pay for other peoples abortions? If you can't book a day off and don't have a friend or someone that can drive you across state lines? Or maybe take some responsibility and realize that even when using protection, you are consenting to all the possibilities that can happen from sex. IE. STDs, getting pregnant, etc.
    This is such an antiquated and idiotic argument that it baffles me how people like you are accepted in society. Travelling across state lines for a medical procedure? Are you living in the middle ages where proper medical care is not provided in your local area?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    This is such an antiquated and idiotic argument that it baffles me how people like you are accepted in society. Travelling across state lines for a medical procedure? Are you living in the middle ages where proper medical care is not provided in your local area?
    It’s also doubly stupid and baffling since it seems to be implying that the costs to society for an unplanned or unwanted pregnancy are less than that of just publicly funding abortion.

But hey we all knew the fiscal arguments were a fig leaf for the misogyny from the get go, the only difference being the degree to which a given Republican is aware that the pro-life movement is a scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Man, wait until you hear how many of these people want to punish those who cross state lines for this medical procedures too. Like I said very early in this thread, the entire point is to force participation on the rest of the country in their belief system through institutional means and forced funding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    Man, wait until you hear how many of these people want to punish those who cross state lines for this medical procedures too. Like I said very early in this thread, the entire point is to force participation on the rest of the country in their belief system through institutional means and forced funding.
    Meanwhile, people said forcing participation seem to think not being able to level woodland en masse for the exploitation of a few landed aristocrats is an equally as egregious example of oppression.

You've heard of First World Problems, get ready for Landed Gentry Problems.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The best long term solution is to admit the country is too fractured to survive and figure out a way to split it into smaller countries that are able to meet the wants and needs of their populations in less contentious manners without resorting to a civil war.
    Maybe we could just respect the first amendment's guarantee of freedom from religion and be done with it.

On topic, how do you think Barrett would vote on the issue of ICE forced sterilizations of Hispanic women in custody awaiting deportation hearings? Surely you must have an opinion on this horrifying example of genocide by your elected officials?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    Maybe we could just respect the first amendment's guarantee of freedom from religion and be done with it.

On topic, how do you think Barrett would vote on the issue of ICE forced sterilizations of Hispanic women in custody awaiting deportation hearings? Surely you must have an opinion on this horrifying example of genocide by your elected officials?
    We might need to wait for an answer, because given Serena Joy's stated beliefs she might need to ask her husband what her judicial opinion should be.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Meanwhile, people said forcing participation seem to think not being able to level woodland en masse for the exploitation of a few landed aristocrats is an equally as egregious example of oppression.

You've heard of First World Problems, get ready for Landed Gentry Problems.
    There's a lot of that going around. We can't get the EPA to do anything about the asbestos laden abandoned plant around where I live, but we've been throwing money at farm subsidies. There's a lot of building anger, and if things continue to break the way they are the Democrats will have every incentive to rebalance the Senate and Court just to begin addressing issues their constituents face.

You don't think she's actually Catholic? I feel like in modern societies, religion is a) a club membership, b) good PR and possibly c) an argument if it suits your case you you happen to need one (ie. can't wreck your brain for an original thought on your own).
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.