Page 50 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The size of the expansion effectively locks it into place. Adding two or four would just lead to an obvious increase when the GOP has control.

It's to late to de-escalate this. The GOP stole two seats. The Barrett nomination and confirmation was the last straw. This is cooking the books, it's righting a wrong. It's time to stop putting up with all the lies and cheats and weaponization the GOP pushes.

Definitely a big IF.
    I would say wait until somewhere around late November to start planning any sort of democratic political strategy.

If republicans keep the Senate, it just will not matter. They win, end of story. In 2022 or 2024 is when we get the Senate then, well strategies can be recalculated at that time. As long as republicans have the Senate, they just flat out win.

Even starting with the starting point of: Biden wins, and democrats control the Senate. 2020 has been a most UNPREDICTABLE and unstable year. Let's see how things are rolling by January 21. Fixing judge issues is on the list of things to do, but there are many higher priorities.

Trump broke a LOT of things. It would be hard for him to burn too much more than what he has already burned down. Getting sane virus policies in place, and getting a successful stimulus package passed, are two items that are MUCH more important. And many businesses would be 100% behind him pushing for his success along the way, from what I can tell.

My current take: republicans invested a lot in winning over the judiciary, not just the Supreme Court, but also all the way downstream to the rest of the judicial branch. They just flat out won, and it was a huge landslide victory for them.

For now I would say let's work around this, chipping away at it when we can (making sure we put solid decent people in place of republican stooges as they retire), but put this on the back burner for a while.

And it is most certainly fair game to use bad unpopular judicial decisions made by republican judges as a way of beating down republicans over the next decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    It wasn't "my way." I just want a stable government, not one that yo-yos in between extremes every 4-8 years with each side trying to hurt the other in increasing fashion.
    A stable government would need to accurately represent the will of the people, no?
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Great day for the U.S.! Protect our Constitution!
    AKA violate the 14th amendment and get rid of Roe V Wade?

Quote Originally Posted by Derpleton View Post
    So I'm genuinely curious what those on here pushing for the dems to pack the court in the future really think they're going to accomplish. What makes you think this wouldn't backfire majorly in a midterm (typically rough for incumbents anyway) or worse, a presidential election cycle (which it could with Biden likely be a 1 term president due to his age if he wins) which would then result in McConnell packing the court with Republican judges which you damn well know he would, if there's one thing that turtle loves its appointing judges.
    I think the idea is best summed up is, "Well......they're fighting with fire. We have to fight fire with fire." The Supreme Court will now be an ideological arms race for the foreseeable future until these dumbass conservative ideas die out in our society utterly (I guess 70% of Americans supporting abortion isn't dead enough for pro-life to go by the wayside).

And make no mistake, it's Republicans who've started this arms race - now we have to keep up.

It's sort of like Citizens United. Republicans fought hard for the right to dark money in campaigns. Now we have to care about it too, and it's biting Republicans in the ass this cycle because Biden is shattering fundraising records.

Do 2 wrongs make a right? At some point you have to stop the escalation. It's childish.
    I care more about people's rights than what is or isn't uncouth.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorshen View Post
    You mean only interested in her legacy?

Btw, what happened to "we're gonna use every arrow in our quiver to stop this confirmation"? Republicans are pure dogshit but this was a rather lousy performance from the dems as well.
    Turns out, There were not many arrows on said quiver. Even less when the other party literally stalled or outright negated stimulus talks to have this crap happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    That's nice dear, I'd like a government where my basic civil rights aren't being used as a wedge issue by conservatives every four years.

Must be tough for you, though.
    I mean, i live in a country where abortion (apart from 3 very specific cases) is illegal. I really dont want that to happen to your country.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The size of the expansion effectively locks it into place. Adding two or four would just lead to an obvious increase when the GOP has control.

It's to late to de-escalate this. The GOP stole two seats. The Barrett nomination and confirmation was the last straw. This is cooking the books, it's righting a wrong. It's time to stop putting up with all the lies and cheats and weaponization the GOP pushes.

Definitely a big IF.
    The GOP didn’t steal shit. The people voted for a Republican President and a Republican President nominated conservative justices. If Democrats had the Presidency and Senate they’d do the same thing. Don’t pretend for a minute they wouldn’t.

It wasn't "my way." I just want a stable government, not one that yo-yos in between extremes every 4-8 years with each side trying to hurt the other in increasing fashion.
    Nope. Nope nope nope. The blame goes with the GOP. You don't get to be shitlords and then complain when the other side fucks your shit up in return. If you punch someone in the face, you don't get to complain that they should have had a "cooler head" when they punch you right back. If you want to complain about it, complain to the guy who threw the first punch, because he's not going to stop punching when he knows he gets what he wants without consequence every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    If the Democrats do their job right, the Republicans won't have a leg to stand on to get back into power when they have recouped as they are the minority party by a sizable margin, even the Democrats are only the 2nd biggest behind independents who lean left.

All they have to do is implement the Wyoming Option, admit DC and Puerto Rico as states, expand the Supreme Court while immediately banning Gerrymandering and push for the interstate compact. If they push for those within the following 2 years, the Republicans won't be able to screw their way into power near as much.

And I would follow it with investigations into McConnell and many others for their actions.
    I'd love to sent McConell et al to the hague to be to be tried for crimes against humanity.

10+ Year Old Account
    The GOP didn’t steal shit. The people voted for a Republican President and a Republican President nominated conservative justices.
    Republicans have lost 6 out of the 7 past popular votes.

"The people" didn't vote for shit.

If Democrats had the Presidency and Senate they’d do the same thing. Don’t pretend for a minute they wouldn’t.
    And don't worry: we will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think the idea is best summed up is, "Well......they're fighting with fire. We have to fight fire with fire." The Supreme Court will now be an ideological arms race for the foreseeable future until these dumbass conservative ideas die out in our society utterly (I guess 70% of Americans supporting abortion isn't dead enough for pro-life to go by the wayside).

And make no mistake, it's Republicans who've started this arms race - now we have to keep up.

It's sort of like Citizens United. Republicans fought hard for the right to dark money in campaigns. Now we have to care about it too, and it's biting Republicans in the ass this cycle because Biden is shattering fundraising records.
    It's not just Biden. Overall, democratic commercials are as numerous as republican ones, maybe even more so. Democrats have adjusted to the new rules. Adjustments will be made to the republican judiciary.

The GOP didn’t steal shit. The people voted for a Republican President and a Republican President nominated conservative justices. If Democrats had the Presidency and Senate they’d do the same thing. Don’t pretend for a minute they wouldn’t.
    An argument that hinges on "I bet the other side would do it to me if they could" doesn't even pretend to be logical.

Very well, then dont complain if the democrats decide to put 18 new justices in SCOTUS, all ultra liberal, LGBTQ people. right?

That happened here in chile too. The conservatives used very slimy tactics to maintain power and their privileges. It backfired spectacularly, just yesterday.

Republicans objectively did. They prevented Obama from appointing his rightful choice for a year. They kept citing a bull shit rule, where is that rule now?

Either a president can appoint a justice in an election year or they can't. A seat has been stolen objectively. If democrats get enough seats in the senate to account for split votes like Manchin they absolutely need to appoint the justice they are due and one more to keep the court an odd number.

You even said it yourself it's about the ability to due so. Republicans gave them the justification and if they have the power they gotta do it.

Fucking tired of this delusional hypocritical bullshit. Guess what, genuis, a situation similar to this (with more than a few weeks before the eleection no less) happened during a Democratic presidency. A presidency where he actually received more votes than the other guy no less. And Republicans blocked his nomination. So kindly take this garbage and shove it back up whichever propaganda mill you get your information from.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I would say wait until somewhere around late November to start planning any sort of democratic political strategy.

If republicans keep the Senate, it just will not matter. They win, end of story. In 2022 or 2024 is when we get the Senate then, well strategies can be recalculated at that time. As long as republicans have the Senate, they just flat out win.
    Agreed. Gotta have Biden win and the Senate flip, otherwise it will be a legislative stale mate.

Even starting with the starting point of: Biden wins, and democrats control the Senate. 2020 has been a most UNPREDICTABLE and unstable year. Let's see how things are rolling by January 21. Fixing judge issues is on the list of things to do, but there are many higher priorities.
    No, no, no, NO. The judge issue, specifically the SCOTUS packing by the GOP, must be addressed as soon as possible. Expanding the court must be a priority. Barrent and her 6-3 conservative court will roll back a number of very important issues. Roe will disappear. Voting rights will be gone. Employee protection. Same sex marriage might go away. Women will lose so many rights. The court must be expanded.

Trump broke a LOT of things. It would be hard for him to burn too much more than what he has already burned down. Getting sane virus policies in place, and getting a successful stimulus package passed, are two items that are MUCH more important. And many businesses would be 100% behind him pushing for his success along the way, from what I can tell.
    Virus policy and stiumulus relief is the only higher priority that judges. I agree that Trump broke a lot of things, but I know Biden already has a team working to categorically reverse most/all of the E.O.'s he issued that actually took affect.

My current take: republicans invested a lot in winning over the judiciary, not just the Supreme Court, but also all the way downstream to the rest of the judicial branch. They just flat out won, and it was a huge landslide victory for them.
    Yep - McConnell and his ratfuckery did that one in. In Expanding the SCOTUS the Democrats could also expand each Circuit Court - say double each one.

For now I would say let's work around this, chipping away at it when we can (making sure we put solid decent people in place of republican stooges as they retire), but put this on the back burner for a while.

And it is most certainly fair game to use bad unpopular judicial decisions made by republican judges as a way of beating down republicans over the next decade.
    Obviously, I disagree - but I'm to a conversation and certainly changing my mind.

The Constitution demands the Senate considers the nomination of the President. McConnell didn't do that with Garland. He absconded his duty. And yet here you are whining and moaning about "defending the Constitution," a document even its Founders demanded be easily amendable and updated regularly, which they thought they had done via the amendment process, not anticipating 50 states of such different ideological bents.

Anyways, Chuck Schumer had some strong words tonight: "You may win this vote... But you will never, ever, get your credibility back. And the next time the American people give Democrats a majority in this chamber, you will have forfeited your right to tell us how to run that majority."

All well and good, Chuck, but your words insinuate that they had a right to tell you how to run the majority in the past. Queue Yoda looking disappointed and saying, "This is why you fail."

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    AKA violate the 14th amendment and get rid of Roe V Wade?
    Don't forget Obergefell v Hodges, that's absolutely on their chopping block.

And expect some more rulings akin to Citizens United.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post

And don't worry: we will.
    Not if they don't get the votes. I think you will find this to be a very unpopular position to take and would put many Democratic candidates in a vulnerable position every mid-term cycle.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    They wouldn't. Period. The GOP stole a seat from Obama (and don't forget all the lower courts nominees from Obama that McConnell sat on - and PLEASE don't forget that McConnell literally said that the Senate might sit on a Hillary nomination for four years) and Barrett was too close to the election - but McConnell's own words.

The only crap here is what you're trying to peddle. And even you know it.

- - - Updated - - -

Not if they don't get the votes. I think you will find this to be a very unpopular position to take and would put many Democratic candidates in a vulnerable position every mid-term cycle.
    That neve stopped the GOP, right?