Page 56 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I don't think they would only visit cities and ignore rural areas/small towns. Events can only hold so many people. If a candidate visits LA it's not like they can shake millions of a hands in a single day.

I think they would visit more places than they do currently because there are thousands of smaller cities/towns where they could still get huge crowds and reach a lot of voters. I'd fully expect to see candidates start in one state and go up and down and across the country visiting thousands of different places.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeth Hawkins View Post
    Total population does not devalue individual voting power
    It absolutely devalues individual voting power under the electorate.
    Last edited by szechuan; 2020-10-28 at 09:45 PM.
    A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Isn’t that kind of what the American left wants? Listen to the people, but use a left leaning judge to stop it when it is deemed not agreeable.

California voted down gay marriage, so going by the will of the masses is ok, except when it isn’t. I’d suspect that eliminating the EC would work for an election cycle or two before the suppressed red votes in CA, NY, etc realize they have an equal vote and vastly outnumber suppressed blue votes in SC, GA, etc, and actually start voting, then it would be deemed a “failed experiment”.

If the country was mostly left, we wouldn’t constantly be getting center right Democrat’s since... Bill Clinton? To be clear I’m all for elimination of the EC for presidential elections. Barring that, nationally eliminating winner take all in each state and weigh it by population, with the rounding error going to the side that takes that state.
    California voted down Gay Marriage back in the 90s because the Mormon Church in Utah was funding the anti-gay campaign full of lies.

- - - Updated - - -

Every state should want to be a battleground state.
    -Every resident's vote is crucial
    -Influx of Campaign money every four years
    -Extremism without a bubble is more difficult to grow
    -More balanced legislature
    -Population diffusion within and between states
    -Travel infrastructure and related jobs receive boon from population diffusion
    -Far more activity in local elections
    -More attention paid to the geographical issues of inland states (40% of pop lives in coastal counties, and less than 10% of the land in the contiguous U.S.)

Total population does not devalue individual voting power, ideological homogeneity does.

Yes, I realize this will never happen.
    So, you are arguing for a popular vote? THANK YOU.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    -More attention paid to the geographical issues of inland states (40% of pop lives in coastal counties, and less than 10% of the land in the contiguous U.S.)

Total population does not devalue individual voting power, ideological homogeneity does.

Why should it be up to the states? People should be choosing the President. The Electoral College was based on slavery. Time to let it go.

- - - Updated - - -

The Electoral College devalues individual voting power. Period.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who holds ideological views? People or something else? Lunacy...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The Electoral College devalues individual voting power. Period.
    His post proves that it does... we are not people... we are just points on the political graph.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

She is such a wonderful woman! I'm so happy for her she really deserves this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollowlithic View Post
    Praise be...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Hollowlithic View Post
    Yeah, you guys got a woman on the bench and a man making the calls for her.

Perfect for you ilk.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    I'd have to look back...but who was the last President/administration to NOT get to appoint a SCOTUS judge? These things seem to come up every term.

Patience + cooler heads would be the better strategy here. The Democrats could, you know, come up with better candidates/ideas/policies and simply win more elections and they'd have more opportunities to appoint SCOTUS judges that way, too.
    They have better candidates and policy ideals, and have since fucking 1992. The GOP continuing to ratfuck elections is the only reason they still exist as a national party.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

next oldest fella is a dem too so they ll go for the full house. monopolies are illegal but this is ok?

10+ Year Old Account
    Word is, if Trump loses.

1. Clarence Thomas will announce a quickie retirement.
    2. McConnell magically finds a way to get the senate back in session.
    3. The Federalist Society bench is pretty bare.
    4. They nominate and approve of Dennis the Menace. Before Thanksgiving.
    5. ????
    6. Profit!
    Government Affiliated Snark

Every state has power in the federal government, that power is called Congress.

The Electoral College not only devalues an individuals vote between individuals of states of different sizes, it also gives states more importance than the individual in the form or representation.

There is no need at all for states to matter in the presidential election. A person doesn't move to Alabama BECAUSE they are conservative, just like a person living in CA is automatically liberal. States should be irrelevant for that portion of voting.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Uhh, the Electoral College called, and says you are flat out wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiganon View Post
    They have better candidates and policy ideals, and have since fucking 1992. The GOP continuing to ratfuck elections is the only reason they still exist as a national party.
    More like since 1933.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, it doesn't. If CA was closer to a 50/50 split for votes between Republicans and Democrats, that would in no way, shape, or form alter the value of CA votes compared to vote in Iowa or Nebraska. Those votes would still be worth more in the EC per-person than votes in CA.

I mean, it's a great piece of fiction and all but it's not remotely practical in the slightest.

And it's a good reason why presidential elections should be done via popular vote, and why why there should be stricter campaign finance regulations. States shouldn't be relying on huge influxes of political money ever 4 years, that's nonsense.

- - - Updated - - -

"But the big cities would be where they go and the heartland would be ignored!" I hear someone call.

Meanwhile, the "heartland" remains largely ignored as most aren't battleground states, so literally nothing would change. And those big cities remain important for fundraising already, so that would remain the same as well in terms of the focus put on them, just for different reasons.
    But heavens no the GOP would actually have to appease to Dems if they ever wanted to win the presidency again.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Word is, if Trump loses.

1. Clarence Thomas will announce a quickie retirement.
    2. McConnell magically finds a way to get the senate back in session.
    3. The Federalist Society bench is pretty bare.
    4. They nominate and approve of Dennis the Menace. Before Thanksgiving.
    5. ????
    6. Profit!
    I wouldn't put it past them. If those actions do transpire in the lame duck session, it will essentially be a mandate to expand the courts.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    More like since 1933.
    I mean yeah, but I was born in 87 and I am speaking from personal experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Praise be...
    Beat me to it. It's why I call her OfJesse....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post
    Isn’t that kind of what the American left wants? Listen to the people, but use a left leaning judge to stop it when it is deemed not agreeable.

California voted down gay marriage, so going by the will of the masses is ok, except when it isn’t. I’d suspect that eliminating the EC would work for an election cycle or two before the suppressed red votes in CA, NY, etc realize they have an equal vote and vastly outnumber suppressed blue votes in SC, GA, etc, and actually start voting, then it would be deemed a “failed experiment”.

If the country was mostly left, we wouldn’t constantly be getting center right Democrat’s since... Bill Clinton? To be clear I’m all for elimination of the EC for presidential elections. Barring that, nationally eliminating winner take all in each state and weigh it by population, with the rounding error going to the side that takes that state.
    The country is left, center left on an international axis. The disconnect between what the public wants and how the government operates are due to suppression of voter enfranchisement caused by centuries of conservative rhetoric, conservative policies, and conservative-based political violence that has bred generations upon generations of apathetic voters as well as constituencies in states in which were designed around keeping conservative influence outsized in the federal government.
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    There is a problem, but I know just banning guns will fix the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    It absolutely devalues individual voting power under the electorate.
    People need to just stop crying about 'individual voting power'. You're one person, you get one vote that adds to a greater whole.

Often when people talk about 'voting power' it's because they want their vote to be as close to a deciding vote as possible. I don't know if they if they can't grasp the concepts of sums and democracy but no one's vote should be worth any more or less than someone else's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    The country is left, center left on an international axis. The disconnect between what the public wants and how the government operates are due to suppression of voter enfranchisement caused by centuries of conservative rhetoric, conservative policies, and conservative-based political violence that has bred generations upon generations of apathetic voters as well as constituencies in states in which were designed around keeping conservative influence outsized in the federal government.
    The country isn't left at all. Centrists and and anti-GOP once every 10 years at best. The political landscape would look a lot different even the country was American left.

The Democrats as a whole just started to be pulled into a bit from center-left.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...last-30-years/

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    on an international axis, America is hard right in compared to other nations of the west.