Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Those and the ACA - it's pretty much done if that case gets heard by Barrett.
    There's some talk that a Biden administration with a Democratic Senate might sweep in and either remove the zeroed out mandate before the case is ruled on or, depending on how the ruling is applied, afterwards.

That said, the first blockbuster ruling this court makes is going to be politically explosive. We're currently staring down what amounts to an institutional vs. cultural crisis in this country where our institutions are increasingly far out of line with what the populace wants. Nullification and court stacking are likely responses, but this could get very ugly very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Actually it's much worse than that reports from former members of that group describe it exactly as such teaches women subservience and all kinds of extremist Christian views of the bible.
    She gonna have to consult her husband on rulings?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    She gonna have to consult her husband on rulings?
    God is her husband and guides her hand.

She actually is, objectively, a great choice. Young, conservative, experience in all areas of the law (practice, teaching, judge). Her resume is fantastic. She's bright in interviews, easily likeable, and so far no skeletons in the closet.

Imo - the Democrats can really only hurt themselves going too far in their investigations. Push hard, of course, and rake her over the coals in the examination during the confirmation hearings, but ultimately, Justice Barrett is going to sit on the Supreme Court.

- - - Updated - - -

You know the reference, righ?
    Haven't a clue, don't do Bible's,

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    That said, the first blockbuster ruling this court makes is going to be politically explosive. We're currently staring down what amounts to an institutional vs. cultural crisis in this country where our institutions are increasingly far out of line with what the populace wants. Nullification and court stacking are likely responses, but this could get very ugly very fast.
    Indeed. McConnell and the G.O.trumP are speeding the SCOTUS towards illegitimacy faster than it was already headed.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I’m confused, so I’m requesting clarity.

On one hand you’re saying you don’t agree with your own evaluation and on the other hand you’re saying you agree with her entire body of law and rulings? Which one is it?
    I really appreciate you asking for clarification. I'm running to lines of reasoning at the same time. Bear with me here.

First, I don't agree personally with Barrett's positions on most issues of law. I disagree with her on women's issues. The ACA. All of it. So I'll be disagreeing with her from a personal position.

Second, from a broader point of view, I'm pointing out Barrett's qualifications from either the Conservative side or an objective evaluation, sans political positions. In that guise, Barrett is qualified. Education and experience is great/good. She has no skeletons, etc. From that point of view, she's a great choice. And unless we find some dead bodies in her backyard, she will be the next Justice on the Supreme Court.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Also, being hard right is a disqualification in a modern democracy where women’s rights, LGBTQ rights, access to inexpensive or free healthcare, gun control or further regulation of corrupt campaign finance acts is required.
    I agree with you that it should be. I don't know how people can continue to vote against their own interests.

5+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. McConnell and the G.O.trumP are speeding the SCOTUS towards illegitimacy faster than it was already headed.
    Well, one of the things that has been afforded SCOTUS judges is an insulated position within society. This will end that. Did you see the booing and shouting at Trump when RBG was laying in state? That's Barrett's future if she helps spike Roe. It will likely be unrelenting, and will likely dog her for years. They've already got a fun little nickname for her: Amy "Coathanger" Barrett.

I would expect this to spread too. You and I don't necessarily agree on our priorities, but I think we agree that conservatives are probably digging up some cultural forces they probably should have left buried.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    There's some talk that a Biden administration with a Democratic Senate might sweep in and either remove the zeroed out mandate before the case is ruled on or, depending on how the ruling is applied, afterwards.

I certainly hope a Biden administration would do just that. Might make the case moot.

I couldn't agree more. This country continues to move away from not only what the populace wants (and needs), but also in a way that makes it intellectually "wrong" to think about issues and being open to changing one's mind. "They flip flopped" is now a major attack on politicians - because god forbid (lol) that people actually learn something new that changes their minds.

Well, one of the things that has been afforded SCOTUS judges is an insulated position within society. This will end that. Did you see the booing and shouting at Trump when RBG was laying in state? That's Barrett's future if she helps spike Roe. It will likely be unrelenting, and will likely dog her for years. They've already got a fun little nickname for her: Amy "Coathanger" Barrett.

I would expect this to spread too. You and I don't necessarily agree on our priorities, but I think we agree that conservatives are probably digging up some cultural forces they probably should have left buried.
    This is the most baffling part they have control of the supreme court, Roberts has given them everything he is saving them from themselves by striking down the most extreme ruling so the court has some credibility. Once Trump nominates this religious nut job this all goes out the window and any hope that Biden would abstain from touching the courts. The sheer pressure from all the crazy ruling coming down the pipes will force the democrats to go nuclear or never have power again.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Haven't a clue, don't do Bible's,
    The phrases at the start of this thread are from The Handmaid's Tale. It's going to come up a LOT more than it should, because Barrett belongs to a group who uses the name Handmaid for their women advisers.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually it's much worse than that reports from former members of that group describe it exactly as such teaches women subservience and all kinds of extremist Christian views of the bible.
    Really? Well that fucking sucks. This might be the "skeleton".
    Last edited by cubby; 2020-09-26 at 06:29 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I certainly hope a Biden administration would do just that. Might make the case moot.
    It is likely the plan, but it all relies on the stars aligning. Else we're where we're at below.

I couldn't agree more. This country continues to move away from not only what the populace wants (and needs), but also in a way that makes it intellectually "wrong" to think about issues and being open to changing one's mind. "They flip flopped" is now a major attack on politicians - because god forbid (lol) that people actually learn something new that changes their minds.
    The thing that gets me is that this isn't going to be black people or the LGBTQ community or, even, really poor Americans. Roe being spiked will bring out the demographic the GOP should be legitimately scared of: middle class and upper middle class white women. The pro-choice movement is full of them, and most have cut their teeth on disruptive activism. I mean, beating up antifa kids and black people with riot police is one thing, but dragging around a fifty year old meemaw by her hair when 2/3 of the country agrees with her is entirely another.
    Last edited by GreenGoldSharpie; 2020-09-26 at 06:29 PM.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm just asking this for a more overview discussion, but what is the difference between Scalia and Barrett?

Really? Well that fucking sucks.
    Let's put it this way judges who are appointed by Bush often write lengthy descents about her because her ruling tend to be bat shit crazy.

5+ Year Old Account
    This is the most baffling part they have control of the supreme court, Roberts has given them everything he is saving them from themselves by striking down the most extreme ruling so the court has some credibility. Once Trump nominates this religious nut job this all goes out the window and any hope that Biden would abstain from touching the courts. The sheer pressure from all the crazy ruling coming down the pipes will force the democrats to go nuclear or never have power again.
    I'd bet folding money Roberts is unhappy about this nomination. Dude is probably Gestopft's (and I mean this in a nice way) worst enemy because he has carried out his attack on the non-rich in a fairly civilized and routine way. The cultural attacks won't be done in such a way because they'll be blatant and obvious.

I'd bet folding money Roberts is unhappy about this nomination. Dude is probably Gestopft's (and I mean this in a nice way) worst enemy because he has carried out his attack on the non-rich in a fairly civilized and routine way. The cultural attacks won't be done in such a way because they'll be blatant and obvious.
    I agree Roberts did not want to reside over the supreme courts reputation going down in flames. He must be screaming right now at the sheer idiocy of the republican party if only they nominated someone like him they could have saved themselves but Trump needs a lackey on the court.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya know if I was Neil Gorsuch I'd want to know how they went from picking a fairly run of the mill dude like myself to Kavanaugh and soon Coney Barrett. This is a perfect metaphor for the GOP as a whole....We used to be OK and just disagreed with the Democrats. Now we're all for just letting it out there that we support sex offender alcoholics and theocracy as long as its the religion we choose.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Let's put it this way judges who are appointed by Bush often write lengthy descents about her because her ruling tend to be bat shit crazy.
    That's even more interesting...perhaps that will come out soon. Or at the hearings.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Ya know if I was Neil Gorsuch I'd want to know how they went from picking a fairly run of the mill dude like myself to Kavanaugh and soon Coney Barrett. This is a perfect metaphor for the GOP as a whole....We used to be OK and just disagreed with the Democrats. Now we're all for just letting it out there that we support sex offender alcoholics and theocracy as long as its the religion we choose.
    They're high on their own supply, mostly. I'm also going to guess they think they contain the backlash, but I generally doubt they'll be able to.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I agree Roberts did not want to reside over the supreme courts reputation going down in flames. He must be screaming right now at the sheer idiocy of the republican party if only they nominated someone like him they could have saved themselves but Trump needs a lackey on the court.
    And that sad part is that both Kavanaugh and Barrett (if what you've said about her is true, and I'm not doubting it, just to be clear) are sad choices amongst the literal hundreds of conservative judges that would have been great choices for the SCOTUS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Agreed. And it's insane. Expanding the court is one of the only logical and reasonable choices we have to right that particular ship.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the current political climate, I don't doubt that she'll be in the Supreme Court by Early November.

Sure Mitch can't spare the time too actually vote on a COVID relief bill but he'll sure as shit get his act together to ratfuck our courts for the next couple decades.