Page 6 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I really, really wish he had picked an independent for the court, but we are in 2020, so not much goes right now. The next several years will definitely be interesting, and not in a good way for many people if the wrong cases are brought before the supreme court.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    If you wear it on your sleeve and use it to shape law then yes, it should prevent you from being in the government. Keep it to your self.
    Separation of church and state. Simple as. You cannot use the laws of your own personal faith to determine the laws for a multi-faith nation.

And therein lies the issue, hardline conservatives DO NOT WANT a multi-faith nation. They want it their way, like the 'good ole days'.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Separation of church and state. Simple as. You cannot use the laws of your own personal faith to determine the laws for a multi-faith nation.

And therein lies the issue, hardline conservatives DO NOT WANT a multi-faith nation. They want it their way, like the 'good ole days'.
    Exactly. When the US was still a multi-religion state, just that the minorities knew their place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Have a backup country or two you can go to if possible.

- - - Updated - - -
    you do realize u.s. citizens are currently banned from entering 90% of the rest of the planet right?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you do realize u.s. citizens are currently banned from entering 90% of the rest of the planet right?
    They can't ban asylum seekers.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    They can't ban asylum seekers.
    lol as if any nation would consider americans for asylum

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    They're high on their own supply, mostly. I'm also going to guess they think they contain the backlash, but I generally doubt they'll be able to.
    Trumps proven to be what we call here a Teflon politician, as in nothing really seems to stick at least that was the case in the last election.

Every time something did seem to stick in a way that would swing the moderates something else would come along to make the opposition look bad and take the headlines.

The republicans are probably banking on the same thing again, as such there making hay whilst the sun shines and what theve really always wanted to do if it wasn't for having to win some of the middle ground to take power. There probly hoping the rioting and stuff will keep going up to the election, possibly get worse and then they can ride the propaganda from that into the 2nd term rather than having to pander to the center by looking some what moderate.

Thats my guess anyway

If she had an ounce of integrity she'd decline the nomination. I'm surprised they let Handmaids occupy positions of authority. Biden should nullify her nomination and stack the fuck out of the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    Trumps proven to be what we call here a Teflon politician, as in nothing really seems to stick at least that was the case in the last election.

Every time something did seem to stick in a way that would swing the moderates something else would come along to make the opposition look bad and take the headlines.

The republicans are probably banking on the same thing again, as such there making hay whilst the sun shines and what theve really always wanted to do if it wasn't for having to win some of the middle ground to take power. There probly hoping the rioting and stuff will keep going up to the election, possibly get worse and then they can ride the propaganda from that into the 2nd term rather than having to pander to the center by looking some what moderate.

Thats my guess anyway
    Not really. He’s anything but a Teflon politician. Everything he’s accused of DOES stick. But here’s the issue in the modern world. a) the news cycle is so quick and his misdemeanours so many, that they just get superseded by the next and b) his voting base is the only group of people alongside the GOP that just does not care what he does. All they want is power. His criminality is irrelevant. So it’s not the same as being a Teflon politician. This is a case of ‘we don’t care if he kills his wife tomorrow, he keeps us powerful’. That’s just corruption.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Great choice by Trump. Her only being 48 means she should easily be on the high court for at least 30 years!
    She is batshit insane, and NO ONE should pick this spot. Until after the inauguration of Biden or if Trump wins the election.

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysensible View Post
    lol as if any nation would consider americans for asylum
    Depends... the UN has been sounding the alarm for some time now and more so lately and immigration and refugee lawyers see no reason why black or Latino Americans can't claim asylum. One example is that Roma people in Hungary are often awarded asylum in Europe and Canada with the reason being... in their country, the police target them, abuse them, give them dispropriate jail sentences. When they are killed there often is little to no followup, and wrongful deaths aren't investigated and when there is an investigation it is usually scant and the outcome is.... nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    She is batshit insane, and NO ONE should pick this spot. Until after the inauguration of Biden or if Trump wins the election.
    Mate, the poster is not interested in logic and sense. He's only here to 'trigger the libs'.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    I really, really wish he had picked an independent for the court, but we are in 2020, so not much goes right now. The next several years will definitely be interesting, and not in a good way for many people if the wrong cases are brought before the supreme court.
    Independents don't exist anymore in the US. At least not at a level where you hold a law degree.

Today American political alignments essentially break down as such, fascists and not fascists.

Some people are so damn clueless that they don't actually realize the GOP shifted to full fascism years ago, but that degree of cluelessness is not something your average judge could ever hold.

So if you are not nominating a right wing rubber stamp lunatic you are essentially nominating a liberal.

Mate, the poster is not interested in logic and sense. He's only here to 'trigger the libs'.
    I was reading today, that she thinks all civil rights laws should be abolished.

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/202...s-illegitimate

It is the Daily Kos, but they have some legitimate concern, she thinks the 14th amendment is of "legitimate concern".

She writes bout it in this 44 page report called "Congressional Originalism".

This is why this bitch shouldn't be nominated AT ALL. She shouldn't be on ANY fucking bench right now.

It is the Daily Kos, but they have some legitimate concern, she thinks the 14th amendment is of "legitimate concern".

This is why this bitch shouldn't be nominated AT ALL. She shouldn't be on ANY fucking bench right now.
    Oh nice. We're back in 1868 having to fight those battles again. Nice.

Also last I checked it was the SCOTUS' job to interpret the constitution, not to write it.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account

Yeah that shit in of itself should be disqualifying.

So she's a lunatic. No surprise.

So Coney Barrett calls herself an originalist, huh. Well, that makes her a literal hypocrite - but in this day in age with the GOP, that's requirement #1. I mean, women weren't even seen as equal when the constitution was written, let alone even able to vote, so her being on the bench should go completely against her own beliefs.
    Looking for <Good Quotes for Signature>.

My impression of her is that she is both ambitious and slightly crazy. Showing up multiple times to be vetted by Trump in person at the WH days after RBG died, shows you how committed and motivated she is politically. Then you look at her endorsements and previous statements, and that's all you really need to understand her.

But it's clearly and directly a pander to single issue religious voters, locking in a vote that might've started to loosen up a bit lately. It's another short-term political gain for Trump that might very well backfire, especially if Barrett lives up to her reputation and we basically have a Michelle Bachman on the court.

Not really. He’s anything but a Teflon politician. Everything he’s accused of DOES stick. But here’s the issue in the modern world. a) the news cycle is so quick and his misdemeanours so many, that they just get superseded by the next and b) his voting base is the only group of people alongside the GOP that just does not care what he does. All they want is power. His criminality is irrelevant. So it’s not the same as being a Teflon politician. This is a case of ‘we don’t care if he kills his wife tomorrow, he keeps us powerful’. That’s just corruption.
    Stick as its used here means kills is political career not if its true or not.

Any other politician who had done and said the same as trump would never get the republicans nomination and never ever get elected president