Page 18 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    As with Brexit:

It's not that we aren't letting you, it's that you'd be stupid to do so.
    The arrogance of the left dictating what is or isn't stupid and using force to stop folks is the prime example of why we are in this mess of distrust and hatred. Remember when the religious right did the same shit and how awful it was for those in society who didn't adhere with the enforced morals? Stop being the same.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by seashell86 View Post
    What in the world? Do you understand that Wallace was a Democrat? He ran as a Democrat like every single election basically before and after that. He just didn't win the Democratic primaries because there was a stronger candidate: Lyndon B. Johnson.
    And maybe, just maaaaaaybe the reason that Wallace ran as an independent AGAINST his former party...and pulled several Southern States was...wait for it...to keep segregation a thing?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    The arrogance of the left dictating what is or isn't stupid and using force to stop folks is the prime example of why we are in this mess of distrust and hatred. Remember when the religious right did the same shit and how awful it was for those in society who didn't adhere with the enforced morals? Stop being the same.
    What morality are we forcing on "folks", exactly?

Like I'm curious, y'all keep talking about us trying to force things on you but never actually seem to elaborate what said things are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but no one is going to just let you guys throw 20 million people off their health insurance, force a child to carry her daddy's rape baby, or force us all to contribute to your religious bullshit through taxes while you sneer at us.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGoldSharpie View Post
    I don't give a shit what you malfunction is or what shallow end of the internet you pull your trash from. The basis of the problem at hand is that a minority is attempting to grab power through institutions and those opposed to them have the majority to render them politically irrelevant for a generation. It's looking likely that the only thing that may be holding Democrats back in January is an unwillingness to be ruthless with their fellow countrymen.

That won't last if this continues.
    we are already there. get used to it.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    We aren't.

The fact most of the protests this year have been peaceful is demonstration of that. Y'all are being humoured.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I'm only going to dignify this with one post because I think you'll appreciate it. Here's Kevin Kruse, citing texts and primary sources, on how the South shifted.
    Ooh, nice! Thanks for the link.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

I'm only going to dignify this with one post because I think you'll appreciate it. Here's Kevin Kruse, citing texts and primary sources, on how the South shifted.
    Anyways, here's Malcolm X nuking all that silliness from orbit. You should probably listen to it all but, if it even matters that you are wrong, it starts at about 2:20.

https://youtu.be/23diDJ8V5yo

People like to point out that over 30 years there were Democrats that decided "maybe slavery is bad" is somehow evidence of them having not been the slavery party?

The fact of the matter is that, and this is the point I'm trying to continuously make here, is that the Republicans did not switch to become Democrats.

But to pretend like Democrats do not continue to use race baiting tactics to this day is just ignorant. Absolutely ignorant.

The good news it that African Americans, finally, are waking up to it. So, in many ways, it's better now than never.
    Last edited by TotallyGenericName; 2020-09-28 at 01:33 AM.

the authoritarian left
    You keep saying that. Demonstrate it. Or shut up. Choice is yours.

5+ Year Old Account
    I think you should go back and reread the entire thread because the response to exactly this dumb of a post is there. Just because you don't understand basic civics and how government works doesn't mean you get a participation trophy, champ.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyways, here's Malcolm X nuking all that silliness from orbit. You should probably listen to it all but, if it even matters that you are wrong, it starts at about 2:20.

https://youtu.be/23diDJ8V5yo
    Malxolm X isn't a Princeton historian who posted primary evidence and a couple of actual historical texts. If you think I'm going to give your sorry bullshit the time of day while you refuse to engage with actual data you're sorely mistaken.

I think you should go back and reread the entire thread because the response to exactly this dumb of a post is there. Just because you don't understand basic civics and how government works doesn't mean you get a participation trophy, champ.

- - - Updated - - -

Malxolm X isn't a Princeton historian who posted primary evidence and a couple of actual historical texts. If you think I'm going to give your sorry bullshit the time of day while you refuse to engage with actual data you're sorely mistaken.
    What I'm trying to figure out is how you can look at a man (Princeton or otherwise) linking instances of some Democrats changing their minds on their pro slavery stance as somehow grounds for a victory.

Very bizarre chain of logic.

The point that you never, ever seem to substantiate is the fact that the Republicans NEVER switched en masse to Democrat. Because, after all, why would they?

So I guess you can "not give my sorry bullshit the time of day" but considering how hilariously left leaning academia is, and that is the best you could do, I'm finding your case a bit wanting.

And, I suppose you're right. Malcolm X's only credentials are BEING ALIVE AND BLACK IN THAT TIME. Lol.

The point that you never, ever seem to substantiate is the fact that the Republicans NEVER switched en masse to Democrat. Because, after all, why would they?
    You're right, they wouldn't. It was racist Democrats who switched to the Republican party when the latter started supporting racist policies. Obviously.

5+ Year Old Account
    What I'm trying to figure out is how you can look at a man (Princeton or otherwise) linking instances of some Democrats changing their minds on their pro slavery stance as somehow grounds for a victory.
    You should actually read his argument instead of directly misstating it like this. I mean, we both know you're dishonest here. The link is present, and with the hilariously loaded language you use in every post not many are ever going to take you seriously. Have fun being a joke!

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    You're right, they wouldn't. It was racist Democrats who switched to the Republican party when the latter started supporting racist policies. Obviously.
    Ahaha.

Wait, are you serious?

Yiiiikes.

I think I'll just post what I said to the last person who called me "arrogant".

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    I can assure you, if I have ever come to that conclusion, it is because the right told me this was the case. The right said I’m a bad person for having empathy and morality (“woke”, “SJW”, “virtue-signaling”). They said that I must provide evidence to my claims (because I can), while they don’t have to (because they can’t). They said that they don’t have to explain their worldview, while I do (again, because they can’t). They even go so far as to attempt to censor me, rather than fail to refute my arguments.

Given all of this, what conclusion SHOULD I draw?
    Also, the problem with the religious right wasn't that they ascribed to a certain moral framework. It was that they were materially harming people.

- - - Updated - - -

Very bizarre chain of logic.

So I guess you can "not give my sorry bullshit the time of day" but considering how hilariously left leaning academia is, and that is the best you could do, I'm finding your case a bit wanting.

And, I suppose you're right. Malcolm X's only credentials are BEING ALIVE AND BLACK IN THAT TIME. Lol.
    Ok.

So what are Republicans doing to abolish the prison industrial complex? If they're so anti-slavery, they surely they're doing SOMETHING.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Ahaha.

Wait, are you serious?

Yiiiikes.
    I know, it's pretty funny that the rest of us are unwilling to live in your alternate reality where things that actually happened never actually happened because otherwise you might have to reevaluate your (presumably) shitty beliefs. But you're just going to have to accept that fact and move on with your life.

I think I'll just post what I said to the last person who called me "arrogant".

Also, the problem with the religious right wasn't that they ascribed to a certain moral framework. It was that they were materially harming people.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok.

So what are Republicans doing to abolish the prison industrial complex? If they're so anti-slavery, they surely they're doing SOMETHING.
    Combatting the "prison industrial complex" (if that even exists to the degree you are claiming)? Um, how about starting with prison reform in collaboration with a myriad of respectable left leaning individuals such as Van Jones?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    I know, it's pretty funny that the rest of us are unwilling to live in your alternate reality where things that actually happened never actually happened because otherwise you might have to reevaluate your (presumably) shitty beliefs. But you're just going to have to accept that fact and move on with your life.
    So, to be clear, you want me to accept the fact that over time, Republicans having always done the right thing with freeing the slaves and so on, attracted repentant Democrats. It is literally happening again right in front of our eyes with movements such as WalkAway and Blexit.

I mean, yes, obviously. Why are we arguing about this?

What did not happen en masse, however, and sadly enough for Democrats is a massive shift of Republicans to Democrat.

Because, you know, they were too busy being fucking right literally all the time historically on all the issues that mattered of which there was abolishing slavery, women's suffrage, the Civil Rights Act, and so on.

But okay, I guess.

Cool story, bro.

And again, this one is important too, have you ever stopped to take a second and evaluate just the optics of how full of shit the party alignment story just looks? I mean it looks like the kid caught dead to rights with their hand in the cookie jar trying to blame their sister sitting half way across the room.

But, no, you're totally right. Because Democrats are morally superior to all.

In spite of, of course, the Democratic presidential candidate (a segregationist) saying in 1977 that segregating schools would turn them into a "racial jungle."

Of course, there are tons of other fun little subconscious woopsies to choose from that Joe Biden has "blessed" us with over the years.
    Last edited by TotallyGenericName; 2020-09-28 at 01:56 AM.

Combating the "prison industrial complex" (if that even exists to the degree you are claiming)? Um, how about starting with prison reform in collaboration with a myriad of respectable left leaning individuals such as Van Jones?
    1. Here you go.

2. What do those reforms entail, exactly?
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

1. Here you go.

2. What do those reforms entail, exactly?
    Here is a link for you.

I'm just trying to make the point that, sadly, Democrats are not the moral superheroes they think they are. Republicans are not perfect but, if we are going to actually start throwing rocks, Democrats better be prepared for their racist pro-slavery history to come up.

I think if Democrats did not take such a hard fast stance on being "morally superior" to everyone else, they wouldn't invite this obvious historical failure on their part.
    Last edited by TotallyGenericName; 2020-09-28 at 02:04 AM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bravo for dipping in with the lowest effort 'uhm but actually the democrats were always the super racists, tee-hee~' and getting the thread derailed for the last five pages. I mean it could be worth actually discussing the topic at hand but you all do you.